nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #55025
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yep! another dumb question from glxman!" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 06-Apr-09 05:12 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,

Are any of our members only using NX2 to prepare images for upload for posting images,

When I have tried to meet the requirements, (image dimensions and size), I end up with the image larger than 150KB,

The only way I have been able to achieve the 150KB is to compress in windows Vista picture manager and then the image is "degraded" to a condition not suited to posting here,

If anyone is using NX2 successfully for PP for uploading, a procedure would be appreciated,

One thing I forgot to mention, Is that I am converting the NEFs to jpeg first,

Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Apr 2009
glxman Silver Member
06th Apr 2009
glxman Silver Member
06th Apr 2009
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
06th Apr 2009
glxman Silver Member
07th Apr 2009
greyface Gold Member
07th Apr 2009
glxman Silver Member
08th Apr 2009
greyface Gold Member
08th Apr 2009
glxman Silver Member
08th Apr 2009

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 06-Apr-09 08:04 AM
13337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

GAry I am not sure why you are having htis problem. If you post your original to your gallery like Ihave said before, you don't have to worryabout this as your file canbe 10 GB! The gwallery will automatically generate a file you can use for forums and it will meet size requirements. But in general, you size your image for post, to a forum bysetting the longest side. You then adjust quality to get to 150 KB.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 06-Apr-09 10:54 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 06-Apr-09 10:55 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Thanks Bob,

I'm not the "sharpest tool in the shed" when it comes to this type of procedure,

I did read your post a while back but I think I may have got it wrong, sorry,

When you say upload to "my gallery", is that the same as uploading to "my photos" ?

Second question,

How do I link that image to a post?

If I can work it out, I will try it out with a couple of quick test snaps I did with my AI 135mm in this thread,

Regards,
Gary
PS:I will go back and have another read

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Mon 06-Apr-09 01:40 PM
#3. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 06-Apr-09 02:15 PM by glxman

South Australia, AU

1st try Bob

Well, looks like it worked,
D700
135mm AI 2.8
F8
1/160s
Metering matrix
Sharpening 4
Picture Control Standard

Worked out how to do the "link thing", that was a big stumbling block before, I had given up at that stage,

Quick question?
Is it better to size before uploading, that is, for example, the longest side being 900 pixels?

Sorry for being such a slow student here, bit embarrassing really, I had almost resigned myself to a reader only!

When I had uploaded images before, the quality was poor, this one looks half way reasonable, well, to me anyway,

Thank you again for your patience!

Regards,
Gary

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Mon 06-Apr-09 07:03 PM
13337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Gary:

My method allows you to store as big an image as you want in your gallery. It can be 1800 pixels on a side! If you want it smaller yes you should adjust it. What I do is set my images to 1000 long side and keep the quality as high as I can so that loading takes no longer than 1 minute. That is what goes in my gallery. Since the gallery then makes the medium view automatically, that is what I post to forums with the larger image link like I outlined. That seems to be the best of both worlds. I use 1000 because the contests have a 1000 limit on a side. Hope this helps. BTW your child is beautiful!

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Tue 07-Apr-09 01:10 AM
#5. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 4

South Australia, AU

Thanks Bob,

Appreciate your help, took me a while but I finally got there,

I can now see the benefit of using the gallery for uploading,

Thank you for your comment, yes, my granddaughter looks great,

15 images, 15 keepers out of the AI 135mm, I was happy with that!

Regards,
Gary

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Tue 07-Apr-09 07:24 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 07-Apr-09 07:25 AM by greyface

Acushnet, US

Gary,

That was not a dumb question. I have been having the same problem in sizing for posting as I changed to Vista 64 bit and have not reloaded Photoshop 7. Am now trying to get the right file size for uploading to Mpix.

-------------------
"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you." - The Hitchhikers Guide

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 08-Apr-09 01:48 AM
#7. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 6

South Australia, AU

Hi Robert,

The only program I have now is NX2,

This is how I am resizing, (after batching to jpeg)

I open the image in NX2,
I click on edit, select size/resolution
In the edit list, under file size, I adjust the longest side to 1000,

And that's it, I don't use any other options as I found it destroys image quality,

When you upload to My Photos or my Gallery, it will retain that size,

The only thing that I don't understand is that when I link one of these images to a post is that they "appear" to be a bit smaller than 1000 on the long side in the post,(even a bit smaller than the "legal" 900, but I might be wrong) that is not too big an issue for me, at least things are working now, thanks to Bob Baldassano's help,

Hope that helps,

I'm sure there is a better way, but that's how I'm getting by at the moment,

Regards,
Gary

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Wed 08-Apr-09 06:08 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 7

Acushnet, US

Hi Gary,

That sounds like the way to load for My Photos and Gallery. Don't have enough good shots to post yet. I also appreciate Bob Baldassano's comments.
The Mpix problem is getting the image to the recommend resolution. 11x14 res. is 2750x7500. I can get the 7500 to 7420 but the 2750 ends up at 5830. I am going to email Mpix to see what I can do to solve things. I am new to digital printing setups.

-------------------
"On no account allow a Vogon to read poetry at you." - The Hitchhikers Guide

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 08-Apr-09 07:33 AM
#9. "RE: Yep! another dumb question from glxman!"
In response to Reply # 8

South Australia, AU

Way out of my skill level Robert,

Hope it works out for you,

May I suggest a new post for your question, I'm sure you will get a lot of good help that way,

Regards,
Gary

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #55025 Previous topic | Next topic