nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #52413
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 Slowdown" Previous topic | Next topic
ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Sun 25-Jan-09 08:30 PM
1227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 Slowdown"

I started doing some pp in NX2 today and it was slower than it's ever been processing NEF files. It took three minutes to "Save As" a photo I was working on and the mouse arrow was moving slow and erratically. I updated my memory from 1G to 2G's about two weeks back and it was working better then but today it's slow as molasses in winter.

I've read where several are having trouble with NX2 being slow but this was ridiculous. I can't go any more on the memory as it's maxed out

My goal in life is to be the person my dog already thinks I am.

M

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jan 2009
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown ColColt Gold Member
26th Jan 2009
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Jan 2009
          Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown Kevzphoto
26th Jan 2009
          Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown Tonik
26th Jan 2009
26th Jan 2009
26th Jan 2009
26th Jan 2009
27th Jan 2009
27th Jan 2009
27th Jan 2009
27th Jan 2009
                              Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown fastbike
27th Jan 2009
27th Jan 2009
                              Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown david_mathre Platinum Member
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
                                             Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown glxman Silver Member
28th Jan 2009
                                             Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown michael1778 Silver Member
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
                                        Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown ChrisLilley
31st Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown tomhob
28th Jan 2009
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown dave68
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
28th Jan 2009
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown sylvesterii
28th Jan 2009
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown fastbike
28th Jan 2009
29th Jan 2009
29th Jan 2009
29th Jan 2009
29th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
30th Jan 2009
31st Jan 2009
31st Jan 2009
                                                  Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown EdT
31st Jan 2009
31st Jan 2009
31st Jan 2009
01st Feb 2009
01st Feb 2009

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Mon 26-Jan-09 01:50 AM
13661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 0

did you try rebooting your computer?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Mon 26-Jan-09 02:12 AM
1227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, but eventually, it seems to slow down. All I had open besides NX2 was Firefox. Earlier this past week it wasn't this slow. I checked the Task Manager and it was using something over 250,000(or 2.5mb) bytes at a given time.. That's quite a bit considering all the other programs noted.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Mon 26-Jan-09 02:29 AM
13661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 26-Jan-09 02:38 AM by robsb

If you apply a lot of control points with 2 GB of RAM it will slow down. I have it installed on a desktop with 4 GB RAM and a laptop with 2GB or RAM. the Laptop has a dual core Intel processor and it seems to work fine on it, but is much faster on the Desktop. Somestimes there are program conflicts or programs that don't release memory properly. Have you tried turning off foxfire when you run NX2? EDIT I just looked at how much RAM was being used when i had NX2, Outlook, Internet Explorer and task manager open, with a picture open in NX2. With all that it was about 1 GB RAM on my laptop.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Kevzphoto   CA  Registered since 14th Jan 2009 Mon 26-Jan-09 09:27 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 26-Jan-09 09:28 AM by Kevzphoto

I have a dual core 2.8 on my desktop with 3GB of RAM...the machine is now two years old...so soon it's time to get a decent quad system.

However, my NX2 works very well...and is fast the majority of the time. Yes, it slows a bit with multiple selection or colour control points...but not that much.

Unfortunately, if you run XP (like me...as I prefer it over Vista)...3GB is the max it can read...with Vista you can go higher.

I see that the prices for a decent Quad Core with 8GB RAM, etc are really dropping lately...within 6 months we'll be able to get a setup for around the $1,000 USD range.

Perhaps less...

Using only NIKON equipment since 1973
"Master your tools, or they will become the Master of you"

Tonik   Cleveland, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Mon 26-Jan-09 01:34 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 26-Jan-09 01:37 PM by Tonik

>I see that the prices for a decent Quad Core with 8GB RAM, etc
>are really dropping lately...within 6 months we'll be able to
>get a setup for around the $1,000 USD range.

True, but NX 2 currently doesn't support 64 bit Operating Systems which you will need in order to be able to address all that memory. CS4 does and personally I think Nikon has really messed the 64 bit support up big time. Heck they don't even bother to make a codec for 64 bit. Yes Vista 32 will recognize 4 gigs, but it isn't using the last gig. It is sleight of hand from the latest service pack from Microsoft.

As to the OP's original problem, try deleting your NX 2 image cache, that will often cause slowdowns. It is on the Edit menu under Preferences. After you clear it, if that fixes your issue consider just turning it off. I have had and have read of many people having good luck turning that feature off.

The reality is that NX 2 is a resource hog and it uses those resources badly. The price we have to pay I guess for it's superior handling of NEF's.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Mon 26-Jan-09 10:53 AM
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 3

I hadn't applied any control points as I had only changed the brightness/contrast level and done some sharpening with Unsharp Mask. When I saved, it took a long time...around three minutes to finish. Moreover, as I mentioned, the mouse arrow being slow and erratic was another pain being difficult to point where I wanted it. Once, everything froze up and I coudn't close out FF that I had minimized and couldn't close NX2 as well-ending up having to reboot.

Kevzphoto   CA  Registered since 14th Jan 2009 Mon 26-Jan-09 06:44 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 26-Jan-09 06:45 PM by Kevzphoto

It's kinda redundant that we are even having this conversation...coz, around 6-7 years ago everyone was saying that computers had now reached the stage where processing power, etc was significantly higher than what software required...so shortly, slow progs, hang times, etc would become a thing of the past.

So now, some 6-7 years later...we STILL don't have systems that are completely capable of handing stuff like NX2, Photoshop, or running multiple progs together.

You'd think by now we'd all have machines that were 100's of time faster and more powerful than our maximum threshold needs.
Instead, it simply continues to be a monotonous cycle of upgrade, ugrade and then more upgrade

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Mon 26-Jan-09 10:35 PM
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 26-Jan-09 10:36 PM by robsb

That is strange, but it sounds like you had an application hang. What does the event viewer tell you? I would call NX2 support, because that is not normal behavior.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Kevzphoto   CA  Registered since 14th Jan 2009 Tue 27-Jan-09 01:34 AM
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 27-Jan-09 01:34 AM by Kevzphoto

This may not be applicable to your particular problem...but don't forget, a good quality vid/graphics card can also make a speed difference, especially with any program that uses 'rendering' functionality....such as NX2/Photoshop, etc.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Tue 27-Jan-09 01:41 AM
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm not sure what the problem is but, it's getting more aggravating each day. This evening I only had NX2 open and nothing else. It took a good fifteen minutes to edit just one photo and nothing elaborate. All I accomplished was a resize, color balance, sharpening and then save. Each step took several minutes and the save function took the longest. There was nothing in cache and the recycle bin was empty. I had better luck the first week I installed the program with just 1G of memory than I do now with 2G. It started out good when I added the extra memory and now it's as slow as dial up using NX2. I've never seen any software this slow.

At one point I checked the task manager...taking another minute to pop up and NX2 was using during the save phase, 870,668k which I thought was extraordinary. Do I need a faster processor(current one 2.4Ghz), more memory(can't add more to this machine) or something else I've overlooked?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Tue 27-Jan-09 02:55 AM
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 10

Something is corrupted! If you already tried as suggested deleting your cache, then you may want to try an uninstall/ reinstall of NX2 and if that doesn't work call Nikon. This is definitely not normal.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Tue 27-Jan-09 11:19 AM
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 11

It does seem rather odd in light of it working better first time I loaded it when I only had 1G of memory. I'll try uninstalling and give it another shot first-thanks. Slowest software I've installed to date at this point.

fastbike   Granbury, US  Registered since 02nd Oct 2004 Tue 27-Jan-09 03:09 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 27-Jan-09 03:11 PM by fastbike

I think you've got something else going on in your computer. Perhaps an anti-malware program is running in the background and using most of the processor time.

Most of the anti-virus programs have become notorius for this issue. Norton being an egregious example.

"Many look, few see". The Tao of Rau

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Tue 27-Jan-09 04:57 PM
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 13
Tue 27-Jan-09 04:57 PM by ColColt

I did notice that WinPatrol kept running in the system tray as I saw "Scotty" change a bit indicating something was going on. I let the mouse arrow hover over the icon and it said, "Scotty is checking your start up programs" and I thought why would it be doing that since I'm just using NX 2? You may be on to something there but, I hate to disable it as it's a great "run in the background" anti-spyware program. This would happen for a couple minutes, stop and I'd see it start again. I brought up the main menu but didn't see a way to disable it without deleting it.

david_mathre Platinum Member  Skillman, US  Nikonian since 24th Nov 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 12:05 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 11

This sounds like the cache directory is full, corrupted or on a highly fragmented disk. With Capture NX2 I find it works best if the cache is located on a 2nd hard drive, and that this drive is defragmented on a regular basis. Even then I clear the cache on a regular basis.

DJM

http://shepartphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/6584005_28ubx

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 01:04 AM
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 15

I disabled WinPatrol this evening and it didn't help. NX2 doesn't use much CPU(around 2500k) until you start working on a photo then it goes up to over 200,000k and the mouse arrow again, begins to move sporadically and the system slows down even when you try to enlarge at 100% to do sharpness with USM. The cache was empty and I had defragged with Diskeeper earlier...I'm at a loss. Other than trying to uninstall/reinstall I'm not sure what else to do.

Kevzphoto   CA  Registered since 14th Jan 2009 Wed 28-Jan-09 01:13 AM
#17. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 16

Uninstall/reinstall is probably a lot quicker than messing around with all that other stuff. I'd just do that for starters and then take it from there.

glxman Silver Member  South Australia, AU  Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 01:56 AM
3394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 17

I am having similar problems,

It only started since I have been doing a lot of editing had noticed the images were "carrying" 15mb or more of Cache for each edited image,

I am a novice here, so should we be deleting the cache? Does it build up?

As of yesterday, increased ram from 2-4gb, still takes ages to open a file with cache? and a new edit takes even longer?

Regards,
Gary
PS: I edited the father in laws images, (1100), on his return from Japan but all files have now been removed, I hope the cache went with it!

I used to have a photographic memory but never got it developed

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 02:05 AM
912 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 18

Anybody thinking the .NET Framework components may be messed up?

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:12 AM
#20. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 19

That is a very distinct possibility. I still think he should call support. I have never seen the types of slowdown he is talking about.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 05:24 PM
912 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 20

Agreed. I have yet to call on the software side of Nikon support. The help I had with a defective D90 (diagnosing it, etc) was stunning. I hope that excellence carries through with this support case.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:19 AM
#22. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 10

Another thing I just thought of, maybe thre is a problem with your new RAM? Is it configured properly? Does your BIOS show 2 GB of RAM? Try taking it out and see how your progrsm runs then.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 12:20 PM
#24. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed 28-Jan-09 12:29 PM by ColColt

>Another thing I just thought of, maybe thre is a problem with
>your new RAM? Is it configured properly? Does your BIOS show 2
>GB of RAM? Try taking it out and see how your progrsm runs
>then.

The computer recognizes the additional RAM and I updated the BIOS from VER A05 TO A08 when I did that. With the 1G (2x512 cards) it ran even slower...thus, the reason for adding 2x1G cards. All other programs run fine with the additional RAM except NX2.

>What is the configuration of your system, i.e. besides 2 GB of RAM, >how big is your hard drive and how much space is used up? What is >your processor?

The HDD has 60% of space left on it-especially after I transferred all my digital pics to a slave drive on F:\ drive...the size was about 16G for the photos. I access those photos for pp on that drive instead of my master but,I wouldn't imagine that would be cause for a problem. I don't use My Pictures to store the photos. The HDD is a 80G WD and thk slave a Seagate Barracuda of the same size.

The processor is 2.4GHz. I forgot to mention I will try SP3 and see if that helps. Surely someone else has had these same problems with NX2 I would think. I've read of several who have had slowdown problems but perhaps not to this degree.

ChrisLilley   UK  Registered since 14th Jul 2007 Sat 31-Jan-09 02:30 PM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 24

>The HDD has 60% of space left on it-especially after I
>transferred all my digital pics to a slave drive on F:\
>drive...the size was about 16G for the photos. I access those
>photos for pp on that drive instead of my master but,I
>wouldn't imagine that would be cause for a problem.

I would, *if* its an external.

Storing all your images on an external drive is a great idea. Storing the ones you are currently editing on an external drive less so. External USB is a lot slower than internal SATA drives.

Try copying a few NEFs to your main drive and editing them there. Please let us know if that makes things faster.

On the other hand if they are both internal drives then ignore the above.

--
Camera <ˈkæ mə rə>, n. Device for taking pictures in bright light.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nantonos

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:14 AM
#21. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 0

What is the configuration of your system, i.e. besides 2 GB of RAM, how big is your hard drive and how much space is used up? What is your processor?

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:27 AM
#23. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 0

I just read that you don't have SP3 installed. i would install it. NX2 works fine with the SP3 and SP3 fixes many windows bugs and adds security features.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

tomhob   Fort Davis, US  Registered since 10th Jan 2009 Wed 28-Jan-09 05:05 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 23
Wed 28-Jan-09 05:06 PM by tomhob

I have a super fast, custom built computer with max memory, fast video, fast hard drive, etc. I routinely run defrag every day or so; plus, another program that clears out my registry and gets rid of temp files, etc. I'm running a 'trial' version of Capture NX2. It worked great the first week; and, now its taking a long time to just load images. Not only from the camera; but, even a pic from Desktop. I emptied the cache and that helped. My gut reaction at this point is to just stay with Capture NX until Nikon gets NX2 debugged. I've learned years ago to 'not overhaul my computer', just because a new piece of software has not been fully debugged. Bottom line is contact Nikon as you have "bought" the program. In my case, I'll just stick with the older version even though I really like the new menu layouts in NX2.

dave68   UK  Basic Member Wed 28-Jan-09 07:22 PM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 25

I read a lot of the posts about NX2 slowing down etc and I'm always of the opinion that it is the host computer that is problematic and not the software. The speed will depend on the system but it should not vary.

I have an XP system - nothing special with 2Gb of RAM and no speed issues.

It's is a computer with NO INTERNET access - no Anti - this that or the other.

The "C" drive has Programmes only - No Data.

I follow the advice with regard to having temp files on a seperate HD.

I defragg regularly (with smart placement - Perfect Disc)

I clean out the cache and Temp files regularly.

I have no speed issues - it's computer maintenance.

DaveG

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:55 PM
#30. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 27
Wed 28-Jan-09 07:57 PM by ColColt

It's not computer maintenance problem. I use Diskeeper running in the background to automatically defrag at intervals and I manually go in every few days to check and if I feel it should still be defregged I do it manually. The recylce bin is emptied every evening if I delete the temporary cache to rid the HDD of that. My master (C:\) drive only has programs on it more or less. The slave drive is the one with the photos since I needed more space on the master. I do have anti spyware, firewall, and anti virus software running on the main drive and anyone with XP better do likewise or risk all sorts of hits if you go on the internet much at all. Windows XP is not the most secure system out there...especially if you're running IE.

This is the first software I've loaded that's given these kind of problems. I still have PSPX on the main or master HDD and it never gave these kind of problems. I do fool with the registry. A program called Registry Mechanic taught me that when it deleted some important .dll files a few years back. Programs like that are the reason computer techs are in business.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:47 PM
#28. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"

Unfortunately,. I don't have an old version of NX. I bought my first version of this as NX2 so, there's no going back to anything old. After all the people I've read about having trouble with this software, it seems most likely there's a bug causing the problem.

sylvesterii   St. Paul, US  Registered since 02nd Sep 2008 Wed 28-Jan-09 08:25 PM
338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#31. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 28

I'm with you in that I seem to be having serious slow downs in NX2 lately. I am running on a MacBook however. It seems like it was running faster before i installed the most recent update. It isn't 15 minutes like you said above, but any time i make more than 1 or 2 changes, it REALLY slows down doing anything. I've considered uninstalling, and reinstalling from disc and not updating to the most recent update just for comparison sake.

----
jan.
paigejulia.blogspot.com

My Nikonians Gallery

fastbike   Granbury, US  Registered since 02nd Oct 2004 Wed 28-Jan-09 07:48 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"

I also have a fast computer except that I don't clean registry, defrag, etc.

I still don't see problems with NX2 speed, whether I open 1 image or five. I've developed a several hundred images w/ NX2 and have not cleared the cache. I recognize that speed is relative, but I only wait on NX2 in 3 cases, and none of the waits are irritatingly long.
1. Opening an image, 2 Saving as Tiff, 3 applying noise reduction.

So, I remain curious why some folks are having such issues w/ NX2 slowness. I'm also poking around w/ LR2 and I don't find it to be significantly faster overall than NX2, but I have primarily been importing images and applying presets.

"Many look, few see". The Tao of Rau

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Thu 29-Jan-09 12:21 AM
#32. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 29

I just opened Paint Shop Pro X and opened one of the largest files I could find, enlarged it in increments from about 15-100% and there was no waiting-watching the image pixelate like I do when NX2 is open and I'm working with it. It's definitely much faster in operation than NX2. I contend there must be a bug with it since all other programs I have move much quicker. I don't see what else it could be. After a reinstall there's still no difference in it's operation.

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Thu 29-Jan-09 01:21 AM
#33. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 32

Hi,
Have you checked the threads (searched web) about .NET maintenance/upgrades and the MS C++ Runtime Libraries? Not just at this site but at nikoncafe and others (the Capture NX discussion group on flickr might have some too)? I am sorry I don't have the various links at hand right now.

Capture NX2 uses other OS and development components sometimes not used by other applications. I hope this can help you.

--Michael

PS -- Please call Nikon Support. Don't delay.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Thu 29-Jan-09 04:40 PM
#34. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 33

I don't have a clue what C++ is but, I did find some good info. I dont' know if this works on XP Home with SP3 or not. Those that did this reported a marked increase in speed.

"First of all, I got this from another site, No way could I ever come up with this stuff, I am running vista on a lower specd laptop with 2 gigs RAM. My NX2 was working leisurely to be kind. Now it is INSTANTANEOUS !!! Apparently the 2005 version of this Microsoft library is the one that was used to develop NX and you need it AND its SP1 update on your computer to get the speed it was designed with. If you have the 2008 version installed that doesn’t necessarily mean you are covered, you need to make sure you have the 2005 and its SP1.

This is what you do: go to this site,

http://www.microsoft.com/... ...E4-ADAD-4000-ABFE-64628A267EF0&displaylang=en

then scroll down to "what others are downloading" and install #4 and then #3 (that's what I did). Make sure you get both #4 and #3 in that order.

Since I have done this, NX just pops open ready to go. Raw files are rendered in maybe 2 seconds. Noise reduction which used to be slow as molasses works instantly. I never see the “file updating” message anymore.

I think this explains why some had no problems and most others did…it all depends if you happened to have the correct library installed. And by the way, this works with XP also. These libraries are independent of the operating system."

--
-Steve

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1039&thread=28536598&page=1

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Thu 29-Jan-09 09:07 PM
#35. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 34

C++ is a computer programming language. Nikon or Nik used it for developing Capture NX and NX 2.

I have the 2005, 2005 SP1, and 2008 Runtime Libraries installed on my Windows XP SP3 computer.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Fri 30-Jan-09 07:37 AM
#36. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 34

Yes they do make a difference, I have had them loaded on my system for months. sorry i did not think to ask you about that. Netframework and the C++ redistributables are key to NX2 performance. The moderator of this site should put a permanent link at the top of this forum with the MS links, and we would probably see a lot less complaints about NX2 speed.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Fri 30-Jan-09 04:00 PM
#37. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 36

I'm not sure where to find any of this to check other than the control panel. Here's what I currently have. Is this sufficient?

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Fri 30-Jan-09 06:49 PM
#38. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 37

So I see a few things missing.

Microsoft Netframework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Fri 30-Jan-09 07:19 PM
#39. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 38

I've gotten both of those now so, we'll see how things go after this. I have auto updates checked and don't know how they missed these two.

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Fri 30-Jan-09 07:19 PM
#40. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 39

You should get SP1 of the 2005 C++ Redistributable also.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Fri 30-Jan-09 08:42 PM
#41. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 40
Fri 30-Jan-09 09:03 PM by ColColt

>You should get SP1 of the 2005 C++ Redistributable also.

I already have that but I couldn't tell if it was SP1 or not as it didn't indicate as such in the Control Panel programs. With all these additions, looks like that's more to eat up my memory as I've seen an executable file (mscxorsvw.exe) that wasn't there before using around 6500k from what the Task Manager indicates.

Visual Studio 2008 obviously must be software you have to pay for as after trying to install it with the SP1 as suggested, it told me a" compatible version of Visual Studio 2008 was not detected on this system".

michael1778 Silver Member  Clemmons, US  Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006 Fri 30-Jan-09 09:51 PM
#42. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 41

Visual Studio is the development environment and applications sold by MS, yes.

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Fri 30-Jan-09 11:51 PM
#43. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 42

This doesn't make sense When I installed the Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable, the files ended up on my F:/ drive instead of C:/ drive. All the .txt, .ini, .dll and .exe files are on the slave drive instead of the master. I found this out when I opened F drive to access my digital photos. All the photos are there and below them are all those files. What's going on with that? Why would it have put the files on F-drive instead of C-drive? Oddly enough when I clicked on several of the .dll files, a window for Spycop opened up and I don't have Spycop on my computer.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

ChrisLilley   UK  Registered since 14th Jul 2007 Sat 31-Jan-09 02:32 PM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 43

I think those are the temporary files it uses while installing. It picked somewhere with lots of space to put them on. The actual installed files should be under C:\windows\someplace

--

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Sat 31-Jan-09 09:39 AM
#44. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 41

You should see 2 listings for the 2005 C++ Redistibutable, one with a newer date than the other. That is the SP1. Visual studio is costly Sw development suite. Redistributables are files that a developer must include when he ships a product so that the programs created by Visual studio will run properly. That is why NX2 was slow on your computer because it was looking for these files and they were not there .

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

EdT   Wilberforce, AU  Registered since 03rd Oct 2006 Sat 31-Jan-09 11:28 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 44

One good way to slow NX down is (under Edit/Preferences/General) to check the box "Edit List" - Keep all steps active.

Ed T

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Sat 31-Jan-09 04:53 PM
#48. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 44

>You should see 2 listings for the 2005 C++ Redistibutable,
>one with a newer date than the other. That is the SP1. Visual
>studio is costly Sw development suite. Redistributables are
>files that a developer must include when he ships a product so
>that the programs created by Visual studio will run properly.
>That is why NX2 was slow on your computer because it was
>looking for these files and they were not there .

I didn't find a date on either but a different version it seems.(As below). As for Visual Studio, are you saying I have to have that program in order for NX2 to run properly? Since I know have what I suppose is the latest version, then NX2 should run better, if I understand correctly.

>I think those are the temporary files it uses while installing. It >picked somewhere with lots of space to put them on. The actual >installed files should be under C:\windows\someplace

Chris-the only place they're found is on F-drive. I did a search for several of those files on C-drive only and they're not there. Files such as the "install.res.3082.dll" (application files) only appear on the slave drive. That doesn't make any sense at all. Those are small kb files and I'm wondering if I can delete them. However, the file named VC_RED.MSI is a cabinet file for Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable but, oddly enough, that file and all the others when you let the mouse arrow hover over them, indicate a date created of 11/7/07?? That doesn't make sense since either as I just downloaded this program yesterday. I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

ChrisLilley   UK  Registered since 14th Jul 2007 Sat 31-Jan-09 09:38 PM
#49. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 48

Right, but the presence of "install" in the filename, plus the fact that they are placed next to install.exe, leads me to conclude that they are only used during installation.

Siilarly a .msi file is only used for installation. After installation is can be deleted, or archived away for the cautious.

--

ColColt Gold Member  Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 20th Aug 2008 Sun 01-Feb-09 12:07 AM
#50. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 49

What I found odd was that there was nine of those install.res.xxxx.dll files and only five of them in the description(as you let the mouse arrow hover over them) was in English. The others were in three different languages. I recognized German and Italian as two of them...most odd.

I've cloned my 80G hard drive onto a WD 320G drive today thinking that may help a little with the extra space and tried some shots with the camera set on compressed RAW and I can't tell a lot of difference. It still takes awhile to enlarge from 30-100%...maybe 45 seconds. That's an improvement over the other day but still, that seems a bit long.

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Jose, US  Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006 Sun 01-Feb-09 03:48 AM
#51. "RE: Capture NX2 Slowdown"
In response to Reply # 48

No you don't need Visual Studio, but MS would love for you to buy it! Redistributables are files that get called by the program.If you are a developer those files already exist in your Visual Studio copy, but since most people are not developers and would not have Visual Studio installed, these required files are captured in the redistributables and installed on your machine, so you can run the programs and not have to own the much larger Visual Studio Suite and all of its DLLs, etc.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #52413 Previous topic | Next topic