nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #42926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX2 Hands-On Review" Previous topic | Next topic
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 05:02 AM
3340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"

All-
I've spent some time with NX2 and here's my initial review:

www.luminescentphoto.com/articles/CNX2/capturenx2_review.html

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2

www.luminescentphoto.com
www.luminescentphoto.com/nx2guide.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review C_Otto Gold Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review tommiejeep Silver Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review SRFast Silver Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review tommiejeep Silver Member
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review Gandalf_22h Silver Member
04th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE:Thanks Dr J. tommiejeep Silver Member
04th Jun 2008
          Reply message RE:Thanks Dr J. Iceman15613 Silver Member
08th Jun 2008
               Reply message RE:Thanks Dr J. kws
08th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review C_Otto Gold Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review Doug Ellingson
11th Jun 2008
11th Jun 2008
          Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review OzPhotoMan
11th Jun 2008
Reply message The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2 dralph Gold Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review AugustWest
03rd Jun 2008
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review jmmcg9 Gold Member
04th Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review b jim_h
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review AndyMac Silver Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message .x Howgill One
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: .x DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: .x AndyMac Silver Member
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: dr. jay hwithall
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: dr. jay Tonik
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: dr. jay LJR69
04th Jun 2008
Reply message Seems a little buggy to me. CAVU Mark
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. CAVU Mark
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
03rd Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. AugustWest
03rd Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. TCMilner
03rd Jun 2008
          Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
03rd Jun 2008
               Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. MBlue72
03rd Jun 2008
03rd Jun 2008
               Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. ktembuser1 Silver Member
04th Jun 2008
                    Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
04th Jun 2008
                         Reply message RE: Seems a little buggy to me. ktembuser1 Silver Member
04th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review david_mathre Platinum Member
04th Jun 2008
04th Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review liverfixer
04th Jun 2008
04th Jun 2008
04th Jun 2008
                    Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review Tonik
04th Jun 2008
04th Jun 2008
                    Reply message RE: Color Profiles Location l8mdl
04th Jun 2008
                    Reply message Ordered, but ... GonzoBernelli
05th Jun 2008
                         Reply message RE: Ordered, but ... gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
05th Jun 2008
                              Reply message RE: Ordered, but ... GonzoBernelli
05th Jun 2008
                                   Reply message RE: Ordered, but ... walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
05th Jun 2008
                                   Reply message RE: Ordered, but ... DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
06th Jun 2008
                                        Reply message RE: Ordered, but ... GonzoBernelli
06th Jun 2008
09th Jun 2008
                    Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review OzPhotoMan
09th Jun 2008
Reply message On demand printing? dralph Gold Member
06th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: On demand printing? DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
06th Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: On demand printing? Ramesses
09th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review azdesertrat Silver Member
07th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review Iceman15613 Silver Member
08th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
08th Jun 2008
08th Jun 2008
08th Jun 2008
08th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review hrbaan
09th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review dralph Gold Member
09th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review sdingeldein Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
17th Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
17th Jun 2008
     Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review sdingeldein Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
          Reply message RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review steve20860 Gold Member
16th Jul 2008

C_Otto Gold Member  Manchester, US  Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002 Tue 03-Jun-08 06:20 AM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason, thanks for the review. I do have a couple of questions I hope you can answer, though. One is about running NX and NX2 on the same machine (Windows). Will installing the trial version of NX2 have an impact on my currently installed NX?

Second, is NX2 backwardly compatible with images already processed with NX?

Thanks,

Cliff
Alexandria, VA, USA

tommiejeep Silver Member  Goa, IN  Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008 Tue 03-Jun-08 08:31 AM
4567 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 1

Dr. Jay.. so you have had for some time..that is very good to know!!!

Same Qs as previous(C.Otto) but also a couple of questions about your book. I now have broadband of a sort so can prob. download. I have not mastered Nx by any stretch of imagination. Does your P's.G to Capture NX2 pre-suppose a degree of expertise with NX? For the price will any updates be included? I have always hated ebooks since with download speeds in the single digit kps it took hous to update Norton anti-virus.

Trying various links and can not find price of upgrade to NX2. Various Nikon sites say reduced price with code from NX and will be available from 20 June but can not find price. Nikon Mall entered from nikon USA only shows NX. Someone is bound to post the link.

Cheers

ps I have used your helpful hints here even though I do not have your book,thanks

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

SRFast Silver Member  New York City, US  Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004 Tue 03-Jun-08 11:08 AM
1487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 03-Jun-08 11:16 AM by SRFast

>Trying various links and can not find price of upgrade to
>NX2. Various Nikon sites say reduced price with code from NX
>and will be available from 20 June but can not find price.
>Nikon Mall entered from nikon USA only shows NX.

Here's a link that addresses your questions: http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9957882-12.html

I doubt Nikon will include NX 2.0 with the D300. They might continue to include NX 1.x for a while because they can still capture the "upgrade" revenue.

Personally, I wish the upgrade price was cheaper.

Regards...JL

tommiejeep Silver Member  Goa, IN  Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008 Tue 03-Jun-08 01:03 PM
4567 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks JL, fortunately both copies of my NX are USA. Looks like Europe/Uk have to pay more for the update. From goggling looks like there were more than a few knowledgible people involved in testing.

Cheers

Gandalf_22h Silver Member  Runcorn, UK  Charter Member Wed 04-Jun-08 08:00 PM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 9

>Thanks JL, fortunately both copies of my NX are USA. Looks
>like Europe/Uk have to pay more for the update. From goggling
>looks like there were more than a few knowledgible people
>involved in testing.
>
>Cheers

I emailed Nikon-Europe as to what the prices for the Upgrade and Full versions of NX2 were likely to be. Standard reply, exactly what I read on the dowload page before sending them the question. Available to download but not to purchase until shortly before trial period expires. Keys for both Upgrade and Full will become available.

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 02:15 PM
3340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 2

T.D.

The new book is written from the ground up to cover EVERYTHING in Capture NX2.

In fact, Chapter 6 is a NX2 "Quick Start" guide-- its sole purpose being to let you quickly figure out the basics of image editing in NX2.

Upgrade price according to Nikon USA is $109.95.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
The authoritative guide to Capture NX 2.0!

www.luminescentphoto.com

tommiejeep Silver Member  Goa, IN  Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008 Wed 04-Jun-08 05:37 AM
#37. "RE:Thanks Dr J."
In response to Reply # 10

Downloaded both last night. The confirmation email and download instructions from Kagi took no more than a minute. Discount applied no probs.

I still have a couple of Qs regarding running both NX and NX2 on the same machine with regard to ViewNX but will start from page one in your Guide today and see if all are answered. Since I never went through NX totally about time I read cover to cover. I did move almost all cache to external HD. I am running NX on desktop
and NX+NX2 on dedicated photo.laptop(actually more powerful than desktop).

I think I should take NX off of the laptop. Are there any shared applications that I need to worry about? Just checking, I am not a computer wiz.

Many thanks.
Tom

Iceman15613 Silver Member  Apollo, US  Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005 Sun 08-Jun-08 12:13 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#54. "RE:Thanks Dr J."
In response to Reply # 37

Nikon clearly warns of possible problems if both are installed on the same machine.

kws   Toronto, CA  Registered since 24th Feb 2008 Sun 08-Jun-08 03:34 AM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE:Thanks Dr J."
In response to Reply # 54

>Nikon clearly warns of possible problems if both are
>installed on the same machine.

No, in fact in the Capture NX 2 manual it says:
"Both Capture NX version 1 and Capture NX 2 can be installed on the same computer at the same time."

Nikon do warn against running both at the same time.

--
Kevin

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Tue 03-Jun-08 12:10 PM
15270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 1

>Jason, thanks for the review. I do have a couple of questions
>I hope you can answer, though. One is about running NX and
>NX2 on the same machine (Windows). Will installing the trial
>version of NX2 have an impact on my currently installed NX?
>
>Second, is NX2 backwardly compatible with images already
>processed with NX?

NX 2.0 runs fine with 1.3 also installed. Jason and I have been doing it on Mac and PC platforms for probably six months and gone through a variety of releases.

2.0 is 100% backwards compatible with images processed in earlier versions.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

C_Otto Gold Member  Manchester, US  Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002 Tue 03-Jun-08 12:14 PM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 7

>NX 2.0 runs fine with 1.3 also installed. Jason and I have
>been doing it on Mac and PC platforms for probably six months
>and gone through a variety of releases.
>
>2.0 is 100% backwards compatible with images processed in
>earlier versions.

Thanks for answering my questions. Now, I just need to find a time when I get faster than dial-up speed on download.

Cliff
Alexandria, VA, USA

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 02:16 PM
#11. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 1

Cliff-
NX 1.3 and NX2 can run side-by-side.
NX2 will open all NX1 edited files.

I do recommend zapping your NX cache files prior to installing, just to be extra safe.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

Doug Ellingson   US  Registered since 07th Jun 2008 Wed 11-Jun-08 02:53 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#65. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 1

Please confirm that I have this correct.

The Best Work flow consist of

1. Backing Up all Images
2. Importing into Photo Mechanic (because it has the fastest import, then do your sorting and set star ratings that will then transfer into NX2 and Lightroom)
3. Then take those images and edit them in NX2. The Star rating from the Photo Mechanic will be viewable in NX2. Same edited images as a .TIF format.
4. Then, import those images into Lightroom to Keyword and further rate using the colors, collections, catalogs etc.

If I have the above Work Flow correct, the only issue that I see is that is was my understanding that the best RAW converter for Nikon RAW images is Nikon NX2? Would it not be advantageous to maybe us NX2 to import images before using Photo Mechanic?

Some of my critical issues are,

1. I want to end up will all of the images that I keep to end up in Lightroom, with All of the EXIF, XMP/IPTC date.

2. I want to have my original RAW file in its pure form so that I can take this file into a future software program that allows me to do something that isn't possible to do with current software.

Thank you for your help.

Doug

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Wed 11-Jun-08 03:38 PM
#66. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 65

Doug-
Photo Mechanic doesn't convert your RAW files. It's a browser. The reason it is in my workflow is two-fold:

1) Displays NEFs as-shot (or as-edited by NX)
2) Embeds XMP/IPTC data into NEFs (so it can be read by NX2)

Many people use LR on the front-end, too. But that means the files will be rendered differently, and star ratings won't be carried over to NX 2.0. The only way you can get LR to "see" edits done in Capture NX (2.0 or otherwise) is to save a copy of the NEF in TIFF or JPEG format. I would think that unless you intend to do a lot more post-processing, you could get away with high-quality JPEGs for the LR library. TIFFs are better if you intend to send files to Photoshop for further editing.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

OzPhotoMan   AU  Registered since 15th Jul 2006 Wed 11-Jun-08 09:42 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#67. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 66

Jason,

Are you able to see anything wrong with this workflow?

I work almost exclusively in NEF

1: Open NEF in NX or NX2
2: Edit, add ITPC data (keywords, description etc, this is readable in CS3)
3: Open in CS3 if necessary.
4: Save in desired format and delete the TIFF created by NX if required
4: Use DAM program (currently looking at IDImager) to catalog.

Jim

dralph Gold Member  Elmira, US  Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006 Tue 03-Jun-08 09:51 AM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason,

You and Vincent Versace deserve to be awarded top secret security clearances. At five a.m., I woke up to find an email from Vincent announcing his own instructional video DVDs on NX2 and BTW which also announced your own new ebook on NX2. NX2?? I say to myself. What ho? A quick side trip to Nikon's site reveals a press release online dated today, 6/3/08. Not even Nikonians News has announced this as I type this.

So, you both prsumably kept quiet not only about the existence of and the development of NX2 the final product but also one would figure during the development phase and likely beta versions. No public beta development and feedback for Nikon as does Adobe.

Actually, I am glad that you both have prepared supportive products for NX2 when it is just out of the box and there is likely nothing else out in the environment to supplement the Nikon manual. Hopefully Nikonians News will make an announcement. Know anybody that might make that happen? Thanks.

Dave Ralph

TEITZY Silver Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments, most notably in the macro and sports forums.   WUNGHNU, AU  Nikonian since 14th Mar 2007 Tue 03-Jun-08 10:43 AM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds great Jason. Any idea if this will be included with a new D300? I already have 1.3 and am updating to the D300 this month.

Cheers
Leigh

My Nikonians Gallery

AugustWest   US  Registered since 12th Jan 2008 Tue 03-Jun-08 02:45 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 4

I am very skeptical of any review that only has good things to say.

Here is my little minireview mostly of the overlooked negatives of the mac version.

Probably my biggest gripe is that it does not use the metadata/sidecar paradigm. Rewriting a large raw file is never going to be as efficient as just rewriting the tiny instruction metadata file within the raw file. It bogs down the interface of the program and in the end the saving of the file. In Nikon's mind this is a benefit as it allows you to save more then one version/variation within the raw file. Earth to Nikon/Nik, it is no benefit when the cost far outweighs the advantage. Besides Lightroom allow you to save versions too although they are uneditable versions. So the benefit is only slight over Lightroom but the cost is still enormous in speed and functionality.
All that being said I do agree with Jason that ver. 2.0 is faster and the UI is a bit more stream lined. I will go even further and say that it is noticeably faster in the editing steps and they are more logically laid out. I would not quote Jason and say "much improved". Improved yes, much, well that is relative. I'd say the biggest (overlooked) improvement is that they added a little progress wheel so at least I know that it's trying to do something not just thinking about dying on me. It does seem more stable. It hasn't crashed on me yet which shouldn't be an improvement it should just be the way it is.

All my other complaints I believe can be traced back to my first gripe. The clunky interface and speed issues are because it continually has to throw around a big file for every little thing it does. That has not changed and that is not good.

I do have one other little complaint though. You can no longer delete a New Step in the Edit List. You can still disable it but not get rid of it entirely.

I just did a batch save of 227 NEFs where I changed the picture control to one of my preset modes and did a gray balance and it still took over 45 minutes to save. This would take maybe 45 seconds in Lightroom. Who has time for this?

Is CaptureNX 2.0 worth the upgrade price? Not in my book (unless it's free). The way I see it, it is mostly just a fix of know issues of the previous version. It does very, very little to improve my workflow in the nikon software world. Will I by it? I might. For that one image that is extremely important and I have all the time in the world, perhaps. Will I use it in everyday work? No way.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 03:26 PM
#14. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 03-Jun-08 03:43 PM by walkerr

Your workflow issues are shared by many. I still wish that Nikon (they control these decisions) would at least allow CNX to read and then embed XMP/IPTC metadata from sidecar files. That would be a big help. In fact, that's one reason I star-rank my images in Photo Mechanic-- it has an option whereby you can embed XMP/IPTC data, allowing CNX2 to read it.

The fundamental approach to batch processing has not changed in NX2. I am somewhat disappointed by that, but it is something I can live with for now. Part of the reason batches are slow in CNX is because the program renders, in detail, a high-quality JPEG preview to update the embedded JPEG in every NEF. That's the Nikon standard. By way of comparison, Lightroom will NOT update the embedded preview JPEGs in DNG files unless you tell it to. That means a NEF saved in NX viewed in a program that uses the JPEG for a preview (like Expression Media) will look correct, while a DNG might not be rendered with the current preview image (ACR will re-render DNGs from the RAW data, so it will look correct even if the JPEG is not updated)

For me, part of my workflow includes leveraging the preview JPEGs embedded in my NEFs; that means if my camera settings are halfway decent, I get a useable JPEG right out of my NEFs that already has the camera settings applied.

Also, I rarely process every image in a shoot. Most of the work I do involves culling my keepers down to less that 10% of a shoot. I can easily work on those images in CNX2 on an individual basis.

As an overall image editor, though, Capture NX2 is a significant step forward in terms of usability, interface, and tool kit.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

jmmcg9 Gold Member  Austin, US  Charter Member Wed 04-Jun-08 01:54 AM
293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 14

Jason, Can you elaborate on the recommended "embed XMP/IPTC metadata" settings for Photo Mechanic. The ability to see star ratings in NX2 will be a big improvement for my work flow. I took a look at the preferences in PM & got a little confused.
Cheers, Joe Mac
PS Thx for writing the new ebook! Your last book has been a constant fixture by my Mac!

jim_h   Minneapolis, US  Registered since 11th Jul 2006 Tue 03-Jun-08 03:50 PM
244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review b"
Tue 03-Jun-08 05:08 PM by jim_h

I want to like NX2, but...

The handling of the embedded jpg is the central point of pain in NX. The time wasted in re-rendering it makes the program feel slow and unresponsive. It detracts from the powerful editing tools themselves. Editing becomes drudgery and I lose interest.

We need some way to disable this jpg thing - if not a real UI checkbox, then a Registry key, or even a 3rd-pary hack - I don't care, just give us a way to skip it.

It looks like you still can't re-order edit steps. Please, someone tell me I'm missing something here.

The "retouch" tool is no clone brush. I just tried it and it does make an attempt to identify what you don't want and replace it with adjacent image texture. But for something larger than a speck, the retouching was painfully obvious.

Rendering and browsing overall do seem somewhat faster. Other than that, it is looking like Santa threw away my list.

AndyMac Silver Member  Odessa, US  Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 04:54 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"

>I do have one other little complaint though. You can no
>longer delete a New Step in the Edit List. You can still
>disable it but not get rid of it entirely.

Clicking the X next to the enable/disable checkbox seems to delete steps for me.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Howgill One   AU  Registered since 29th Jul 2007 Tue 03-Jun-08 11:58 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. ".x"
In response to Reply # 0

Great review, Jason.

Questions:

Do you have an upgrade price for owners of the v1.x.x of your ebook?

Is that discount mentioned on your site for the ebook or is a discount code to use when ordering CNX2 (I reckon the latter is just wishful thinking).

I'd be very interested in workflow advice (case study) using the new View NX and CNX2 if you are not too wedded to Photomechanic.

Cheers
D

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 03:16 PM
#13. "RE: .x"
In response to Reply # 6

The discount code on my website is for my eBook only, not CNX2.
It's good for 25% off through June 20th.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

AndyMac Silver Member  Odessa, US  Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 03:44 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#15. "RE: .x"
In response to Reply # 13

Thanks Jason! I just ordered my copy!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hwithall   US  Registered since 07th Apr 2007 Tue 03-Jun-08 04:25 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: dr. jay"
In response to Reply # 6

i really appreciate you taking my money, a short time ago, for something that you knew was shortly going to be out of date. i guess you are out to fleece all the nx users as nikon is, with the anticipation of everyone upgrading. i will not be buying anything from you again. i am off to lightroom land................

Tonik   Cleveland, US  Registered since 01st Nov 2005 Tue 03-Jun-08 11:13 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: dr. jay"
In response to Reply # 18

>i really appreciate you taking my money, a short time ago,
>for something that you knew was shortly going to be out of
>date. i guess you are out to fleece all the nx users as nikon
>is, with the anticipation of everyone upgrading. i will not be
>buying anything from you again. i am off to lightroom
>land................

It's not out of date, his 1.3 ebook is still exactly right on for version 1.3 of NX. The old software and the old manual still work pretty well and deliver everything they promise. We got our money's worth.

LJR69   UK  Registered since 16th May 2008 Wed 04-Jun-08 12:57 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: dr. jay"
In response to Reply # 18

>i really appreciate you taking my money, a short time ago,
>for something that you knew was shortly going to be out of
>date. i guess you are out to fleece all the nx users as nikon
>is, with the anticipation of everyone upgrading. i will not be
>buying anything from you again. i am off to lightroom
>land................

If you use 1.3 then you can still use his book for 1.3. Why are you complaining? Everybody is entitled to be recompensed for the work that they do. He expended effort in creating a guide for 2.0. If you upgrade to 2.0 and you want the guide then pay for it.

Oh and lol@Adobe being used as the shining example of commercial fairness.

CAVU Mark   US  Basic Member Tue 03-Jun-08 04:23 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Jun-08 04:24 PM by CAVU Mark

I down loaded the demo version and it crashed twice when editing an image, not in the edit process but while I was trying to recover the tool bar someone stole? Any one seen my menu and tool bar?

Mark
www.cavuphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 05:03 PM
#20. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 17

Mark-
I strongly recommend deleting your old cache files and then reinstall the software. That usually fixes things.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

CAVU Mark   US  Basic Member Tue 03-Jun-08 06:10 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 20

>Mark-
>I strongly recommend deleting your old cache files and then
>reinstall the software. That usually fixes things.
>
>-Jason
>
>Jason P. Odell

Jason, Thanks for the suggestion, any more? I cleared cache in both NX and NX2 (same I believe), uninstalled NX2 and reinstalled. Same issue, no menu?

Mark

Mark
www.cavuphotography.com

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Tue 03-Jun-08 07:00 PM
15270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 23

Try selecting one of the workspaces. I think I saw that problem once a few months ago and picking a new workspace resolved the issue.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

AugustWest   US  Registered since 12th Jan 2008 Tue 03-Jun-08 05:36 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 17

Hey Andy-Thanks for that tip. That little x box next to the able/disable button is a new feature at least on the mac version. The old way of just highlighting the step and hitting the delete key does work. I don't know why but it wasn't working for me then but it is now and so does the x box.
Nikon software is very particular in the order and way of accomplishing a task. I may have used my pinky to hit the delete key instead of my index finger.
I like multiply ways of doing the same thing. Love logical keyboard shortcuts, and check boxes and ways to customize things to my liking. Not a big fan of drop down lists nestled into drop down list. Nikon software is slowly catching on to the power user mentality but they still have a long way to go.

Jason-I appreciate that you did not take my comments as a personal attack on you or your review as it was not intended. Just wanted to say that.

TCMilner   The Woodlands, US  Registered since 30th Jan 2008 Tue 03-Jun-08 05:41 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 21

Jason

Have you tried using the new Select Control Points with Nik Color Efex adjustments? I have this add-on and can't wait to give it a try with this new feature.

Tom

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 06:54 PM
#24. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 22

I haven't used it much, but they work as advertised. Very powerful.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

MBlue72   US  Registered since 10th Aug 2006 Tue 03-Jun-08 07:48 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 24
Tue 03-Jun-08 07:50 PM by MBlue72

Wow. I am very impressed so far. I have only fiddled with NX2 for about 20 minutes, but here are a few of my early impressions:

1)... It loads! I am one of the people who have consistently had problems with NX's dependence on NET.FRAMEWORK. I have had to spend hours un-loading and re-loading and massaging. No more! NX2 downloaded, installed and started smoothly without problems.

2)... It is MUCH faster (for me). I just did a test with the same file ... it took NX 42 seconds to fully open the file. With NX2 it took 16 seconds. I have a 3-year old laptop (PC) with only 1MB of RAM.

3)... I view the new features as very substantial, including the retouch brush, dual monitor support, improved GUI, more convenient edit list, etc. And to me, it just seems more intuitive over all.

4)... Everything about it just seems snappier. Crisper.

BTW, the rest of my workflow includes using Photo Mechanic and Expression Media. These three programs seem to be extremely compatable and work well together. Also -- I am a "low volume" guy. I post process my shots one or two at a time. I shoot NEF+JPG with my D300 so I immediately have JPG's available for snapshots and email, etc. I usually use NX for only "serious" work so any slowness of mass batch conversions is not even on my radar screen.

So far, so good!

Dave

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 03-Jun-08 08:17 PM
#27. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 26

Sounds like our workflow is quite similar.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

ktembuser1 Silver Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2006 Wed 04-Jun-08 04:06 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#34. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 24

Jason, and others who might know,

How does one use Nik Efex 2 with Capture NX2? Or, how does one use Efex 3.0 with NX2? I am trying to find out how to do this but not having much luck. I have a trial version of 3 and want to see how it works before buying it.

Thanks so much,

Keith

>I haven't used it much, but they work as advertised. Very
>powerful.
>
>-Jason
>
>Jason P. Odell
>Colorado Nikonian
>
Author, The
>Photographer's Guide to Capture NX2

> The
>authoritative guide to Capture NX 2.0!>
>
>
www.luminescentphoto.com
>
>Listen to The Image Doctors

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Wed 04-Jun-08 05:11 AM
#36. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 34

You need to wait until the NX2-compatible versions of these software packages are released. At that point, it's just a matter of installing them.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

ktembuser1 Silver Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2006 Wed 04-Jun-08 11:38 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#38. "RE: Seems a little buggy to me."
In response to Reply # 36

Thanks, Rick!

Keith

david_mathre Platinum Member  Skillman, US  Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2006 Wed 04-Jun-08 12:54 AM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason,

You noted in your review that the Nik Color Efex 2.0 plugin users will be entitled to a free upgrade to a version compatable with Capture NX2. Do you know when this will be available? The link from your Capture NX2 guide priviate site to the Nik website does not appear to show any plugins for Capture NX (or NX2). I use these more than I thought I would.

DJM

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Wed 04-Jun-08 01:14 AM
#30. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 29

David-
I don't have the specifics, but I have it on good authority that this will happen soon. I would think (or at least hope) that they'll be out by the official sale date of June 20th.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

liverfixer   Dallas, US  Registered since 07th Jan 2008 Wed 04-Jun-08 02:46 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 30
Wed 04-Jun-08 02:47 AM by liverfixer

I am using your e-book to set up the NX2 trail. You rec to use ProPhoto as your default work space. I can not find it in the pull down screen. Thanks for your great book.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Wed 04-Jun-08 04:04 AM
#33. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 32

You might need to do a search and download and install ProPhoto RGB if it isn't on your computer. I believe it is freely available.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

liverfixer   Dallas, US  Registered since 07th Jan 2008 Wed 04-Jun-08 04:17 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 33
Wed 04-Jun-08 04:22 AM by liverfixer

I have it in Photoshop CS3 but Capture NX or NX2 does not find it. Also were do you put it so NX2 can use it? Any thoughts?

Tonik   Cleveland, US  Registered since 01st Nov 2005 Wed 04-Jun-08 01:33 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 35

>I have it in Photoshop CS3 but Capture NX or NX2 does not
>find it. Also were do you put it so NX2 can use it? Any
>thoughts?

Do you mean 'open with'? That is under the Edit menu then preferences...you point it to your photoshop in there and then open with will work.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Wed 04-Jun-08 04:31 PM
#41. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"

Make sure that it is installed in the proper color profiles location on your computer. I'm not familiar for what this folder is on PC's.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

l8mdl   US  Registered since 18th Mar 2006 Wed 04-Jun-08 07:34 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Color Profiles Location"
In response to Reply # 41

re: "Make sure that it is installed in the proper color profiles location on your computer. I'm not familiar for what this folder is on PC's."

On a PC system, your color profiles should be located in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

GonzoBernelli   Houston, US  Basic Member Thu 05-Jun-08 02:13 PM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 42
Thu 05-Jun-08 04:06 PM by GonzoBernelli

DrJay32
I received order confirmation from Kagi for your CNX2 e-book, but nothing regarding on the download procedure/location/codes. Would this imply a CD will arrive in the mail? Or should I just give them more time to process the order?
Thanks you,
Nick

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine   Farmington Hills, US  Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004 Thu 05-Jun-08 02:49 PM
3874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 44

Mr "Thanks for your purchase" from Kagi included the download link. It's about 2/3 the way down the message.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

GonzoBernelli   Houston, US  Basic Member Thu 05-Jun-08 04:14 PM
479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 45

Gary,
Well that is not much good, is it? Since the web page disappeared yesterday after I printed out my receipt. Also there is nothing on the page printed that screams "DOWNLOAD FROM HERE". Not only that, the web site indicated a receipt by e-mail would be sent - as yet, nada.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Thu 05-Jun-08 05:05 PM
#47. "RE: Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 46

You might want to send Jason an e-mail directly in case he doesn't see this.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Fri 06-Jun-08 03:10 PM
#49. "RE: Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 46

I'll look up your invoice and send it to you tonight.
Please drop me an email so I know where to send it.

jason(at)luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

GonzoBernelli   Houston, US  Basic Member Fri 06-Jun-08 07:34 PM
#51. "RE: Ordered, but ..."
In response to Reply # 49

Got your e-mail Jason. Thank you - all is now good

liverfixer   Dallas, US  Registered since 07th Jan 2008 Mon 09-Jun-08 11:01 AM
#62. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 41

Jason,
I use a Mac and still can not get ProPhoto RGB to show up as it does in the preferences section of your book. It shows up as an option in photoshop but I can not find the file and I am not sure where to put it on the Mac. Is there a site to download ProPhoto from?

OzPhotoMan   AU  Registered since 15th Jul 2006 Mon 09-Jun-08 10:06 AM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#61. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"

It should be in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Color\Profiles\Recommended

you will need to copy it to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\color

Jim

dralph Gold Member  Elmira, US  Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006 Fri 06-Jun-08 01:24 PM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "On demand printing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason,
Have you explored whether on demand digital printing of your ebook is practical and viable as an alternative or addition to the download of the book via the web?
While your CD and expertise make it a valuable resource, and at thit time virtually the only resource, reading a book on the computer is just not a very good experience for a lot of us.
Printing an ebook for the customer turns the book into a pretty expensive book, on a par or above what one would pay for a tradtionally marketed paper book.
More than just an idle thought here.
BTW, thanks to you, and to Rick, for all the effort and time you put into supporting users like myself. Know that it is appreciated.
Dave Ralph

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Fri 06-Jun-08 03:12 PM
#50. "RE: On demand printing?"
In response to Reply # 48

>Printing an ebook for the customer turns the book into a
>pretty expensive book, on a par or above what one would pay
>for a tradtionally marketed paper book.

I agree, and I haven't looked into on-demand printing, yet.
I've found that I can print two pages per page, double-sided, and end up with a manageable stack that is still readable.
The trick with printing it that way is to start at page ii (omit the cover page). That way, the natural spreads stay together, and you get one spread per sheet.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

Ramesses   US  Registered since 29th Mar 2007 Mon 09-Jun-08 08:15 PM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#63. "RE: On demand printing?"
In response to Reply # 50

Hi Jason:

I got your book yesterday, but have yet to decide if I’ll upgrade to NX2; I have ~60 days to do so. From what I’ve seen, it seems to be the same cat with a different collar. For that matter, LR2 is not that much different from LR1, either.

Best regards,

Ramesses

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

azdesertrat Silver Member  Glendale, US  Nikonian since 30th Apr 2006 Sat 07-Jun-08 06:27 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#52. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Jason,

Thanks for your review of CNX2.

I have a large number of TIFF files from scanned slides and negatives (via a Coolscan V). Do you or can you recommend CNX2 for processing these files? Yes, I know I will lose some functionality due to lack of EXIF data from the scans. How much functionality will be lost? Is it still worth it to use CNX2 even with the lost functionality?

TIA for your reponse

Milt

Love is ... being owned by a Chocolate Lab

Iceman15613 Silver Member  Apollo, US  Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005 Sun 08-Jun-08 12:11 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#53. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess that the big question here is whether or not it is worth buying NX2 over Viveza. The cost factor is relatively small, Viveza can plug into photoshop and appears to have a bit more polish to it than NX2. Interesting that both programs are written by the same company.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography   Knoxville, US  Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006 Sun 08-Jun-08 01:30 AM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 53

It all depends on whether you want the embedded camera settings. Personally, I'm 90% sure I won't upgrade. Viveza is interesting and I may choose that but it's also expensive. Should have gotten it when NAPP members got it for a big discount a few months ago.

Iceman15613 Silver Member  Apollo, US  Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005 Sun 08-Jun-08 01:58 AM
#57. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 55

When I last checked, the academic price for viveza was #149.00 I don't know whether that has changed but if so it is hardly worth upgrading to NX2 for the small difference.

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Sun 08-Jun-08 01:33 AM
#56. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 53

Viveza gives only the Color Control Points. NX2 offers Selection Control Points-- meaning you can apply ANY effect in the Edit List with a Control Point.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

Iceman15613 Silver Member  Apollo, US  Nikonian since 30th Oct 2005 Sun 08-Jun-08 02:01 AM
#58. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 56

That is a good point. How long do you think NIK will wait to similarly position viveza? Especially since they are writing NX2. Is it possible that their contract with Nikon will inhibit developement of Viveza?

hrbaan   Kockengen, NL  Registered since 29th Oct 2005 Mon 09-Jun-08 09:44 AM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#60. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Here's a tip for getting the e-book in a nicely printed fashion: use the booklet printing option of your printer.

This prints the job double sided, two pages on one side but with all the pages in a "booklet" order.
With a small number of pages (<20) you can then actually fold it and put a staple in the middle to get a nice booklet.
For thicker volumes this doesn't work. What you can do then, however, is cut all pages in half and stack them in the right order, put holes in it and the put everything in a binder.

Works great and this is what I do whenever I print a large document (it saves a lot of paper, and I like the smaller pages, anyway; more convenient)

Cheers,
Hayo Baan
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan

When it's time to stop living, I will certainly make Death my number one choice!
Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

dralph Gold Member  Elmira, US  Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006 Mon 09-Jun-08 10:29 PM
#64. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 60

Yep, I know.

The type is then too small for my tired eyes, though. 400 pages of ink on an inkjet is a hidden but not small cost.

But, serendipitously, Staples has a sale right now on printing if the job order is placed on line. ~$18 to print Jason's book, in black and white. A little bit more, and they bind it for you with plastic cover.

<www.staples.com>

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=196&topic_id=43412&mesg_id=43412&page=

sdingeldein Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 06th Aug 2006 Tue 17-Jun-08 06:35 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#68. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jason,

I've got your book and find it very helpful, like the one for 1.3. I also greatly enjoy the Image Doctor broadcasts as they are very helpful.

I have a question about printers and NX 2 (also NX1.x). I use an Epson R1900 printer, but it is not my default printer. When I print from NX2 (also v1.x) it selects the default printer in the first dialogue box and then I have to tell it to print which brings up the next dialogue box that does have a drop down box where I chose the Epson. (Then I chose properties button to bring up the dialogue box to choose the paper size, type, etc).

Is there any way to tell NX2 which printer to use by default? I haven't found it yet.

Also NX2 often doesn't seem to recognize when I tell it to print in a borderless fashion. I have to go through the above process to chose the epson, abort the process at the print preview stage and then go to the page setup up and manually tell the program the margins are 0.0 in all 4 boxes. I had no such problem in version 1.3. Is this a bug in the newer program?

Thanks, Steve Dingeldein

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine   Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003 Tue 17-Jun-08 06:59 PM
#69. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 68

Steve-
Are you on Windows Vista?
If so, the default printers are set up at the OS level, not at the application level.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian

www.luminescentphoto.com

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography     Colorado Springs, US  Nikonian since 05th May 2002 Tue 17-Jun-08 07:11 PM
#70. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 69

Ditto with XP.

Rick Walker

My photos:

GeoVista Photography

sdingeldein Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 06th Aug 2006 Tue 17-Jun-08 08:15 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#71. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 69

Yeah, I'm on Vista, Jay (and Rick). But some applications give you a drop down box (as NX2 does after the first box) in the first box to pop up after you hit print. I only wish NX2 had a drop down box in the first window that pops up so one could choose the printer to use there. You can do it when the second box pops up after moving through the first. It would make my life easier.

The bigger problem for me is that it doesn't seem to understand that I want to print borderless until I manually go in and change the margins on the paper size I'm using to zero for all 4 sides.

So I have to tell the program to print, then change to the Epson printer, set all the parameters I want in the Properties dialogue box, go forward to Print Preview and cancel out there. THEN I can go to page setup and tell it borderless paper (and still have to manually set the margins to zero).

I didn't have to do the later step (set the margins to zero) in 1.3 but do in NX2.

Steve

steve20860 Gold Member  Gaithersburg, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2007 Wed 16-Jul-08 03:42 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#72. "RE: Capture NX2 Hands-On Review"
In response to Reply # 71

I installed the NX2 upgrade running Vista. The program runs fine but locks up when I go to exit NX2 so I have to reboot. Nikon suggested uninstalling and reinstalling software but still no luck. Do you have any suggestions? It seems to be a missing DLL.

Thanks,
Steve

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #42926 Previous topic | Next topic