Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #39134
View in linear mode

Subject: "Duplicate File Finder" Previous topic | Next topic
fraserj1 Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sat 16-Feb-08 08:22 PM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Duplicate File Finder"

I'm attempting to find a relatively quick way to locate duplicate image files in order to clean up my hard drives and am becoming a bit frustrated.

One one hand, I've found some applications that will allow me to look for NEF files, but the programs don't offer any sort of image review so that I can confirm that the files are indeed duplicates.

One the other hand, I've also found image-oriented duplicate file finders that allow me to review the images of apparent duplicate files, but they seem to only work with the common file types (jpg and the like), so I can't look for NEF dupes.

Does anyone know of a decent duplicate file finder that allows users to find duplicate NEF files and see the images of those NEF files to confirm that they really are dupes?

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Duplicate File Finder
JHJ
16th Feb 2008
fraserj1
16th Feb 2008
fraserj1
16th Feb 2008
JHJ
16th Feb 2008
fraserj1
18th Feb 2008
kellygas
13th Mar 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
14th Mar 2013

JHJ Registered since 24th Mar 2006Sat 16-Feb-08 09:19 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne (Northern KY), US

I use a great file manager for windows called Directory Opus. One of the many tools it has is a duplicate file finder and it also has a viewer that will show .nef images.
It isn't free but has alot of useful features.

Jim J

fraserj1 Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sat 16-Feb-08 10:33 PM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds interesting.....do you know if it allows the user to view the duplicate NEF images side by side at once, or would I need to view each one individually?

(I have 40K plus images, many being duplicates, so I need this to be as quick as possible).

fraserj1 Registered since 12th Sep 2004Sat 16-Feb-08 10:57 PM
#3. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 2

I didn't realize that it had a free trial....I downloaded it and it appears to be close to what I want. It groups duplicates together and the user can select one file at a time to preview.

Its not exactly what I want, but probably comes close enough for what I need.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JHJ Registered since 24th Mar 2006Sat 16-Feb-08 11:46 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 3

Melbourne (Northern KY), US

You are welcome.
You could have it display thumbnails to see them together.

fraserj1 Registered since 12th Sep 2004Mon 18-Feb-08 12:09 PM
#5. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 4

>You are welcome.
>You could have it display thumbnails to see them together.

kellygas Registered since 13th Mar 2013Wed 13-Mar-13 01:06 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 5

PH

there are a lot of programs out there to address duplicate problems but so far only "Duplicate Files Deleter" works for me... hope it helps..

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Thu 14-Mar-13 01:05 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Duplicate File Finder"
In response to Reply # 0

Kleinburg, CA

I'm curious -- how did you end up with a sufficient number of duplicate files to be concerned about disk space?

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #39134 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.