Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #32622
View in linear mode

Subject: "New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Export" Previous topic | Next topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 11-Sep-07 04:02 PM
10842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Export"

US

Nikon has released the much-anticipated View NX and some additional new utilities.

Nikon View NX replaces the aging Nikon View 6 series, and includes an expanded set of editing controls using the new Picture Control system which makes it's debut in the upcoming the Nikon D3 and Nikon D300 digital SLRs...

For more details, please see the Nikonians News Feed article.

Mods please lock as needed.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
11th Sep 2007
Reply message Found my problem....
nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support
11th Sep 2007
neun93
11th Sep 2007
drl1954
11th Sep 2007
michael1778
11th Sep 2007
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
11th Sep 2007
michael1778
11th Sep 2007
jaymc Silver Member
11th Sep 2007
11th Sep 2007
michael1778
11th Sep 2007
RDW
11th Sep 2007
johnaalex
11th Sep 2007
11th Sep 2007
RDW
11th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
11th Sep 2007
RDW
11th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
11th Sep 2007
bowmah
11th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
11th Sep 2007
11th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
11th Sep 2007
11th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
12th Sep 2007
RDW
11th Sep 2007
bowmah
12th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
12th Sep 2007
DavidRamey
12th Sep 2007
michael1778
12th Sep 2007
martinc
12th Sep 2007
peterah
12th Sep 2007
RDW
12th Sep 2007
GrahamS
12th Sep 2007
C_Otto Gold Member
12th Sep 2007
12th Sep 2007
C_Otto Gold Member
12th Sep 2007
TiggerGTO Silver Member
12th Sep 2007
AndyMac Silver Member
12th Sep 2007
12th Sep 2007
AndyMac Silver Member
12th Sep 2007
pshnikchch Silver Member
12th Sep 2007
     Reply message RE: Another View NX "Feature"?
SpacerM
13th Sep 2007
13th Sep 2007
AndyMac Silver Member
13th Sep 2007
SpacerM
13th Sep 2007
AndyMac Silver Member
13th Sep 2007
SpacerM
14th Sep 2007
Reply message ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem
13th Sep 2007
Reply message RE: ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem
SDdave
14th Sep 2007
     Reply message RE: ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem
bowmah
14th Sep 2007

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 05:09 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I downloaded it and I like what I see, overall. I have one problem where the "Quick Adjust" camera settings controls are always disabled. Anyone else run into this? Anyone found a solution? Is it just me?

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 05:43 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "Found my problem...."
In response to Reply # 1

US

I had previously batch processed that folder of images with NX. An icon appears under the thumbnail that looks like an NX color control point. I guess that icon is indicating that the image was previously tweaked and cannot be changed. What a shame. That complicates the workflow a bit.

my Nikonians gallery.

neun93 Registered since 07th Jan 2007Tue 11-Sep-07 05:23 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Muenchen, DE

I have downloaded both ViewNX and Transfer and so far love what I am seeing. I have tried so many different programs and was continually frustrated by the fact the most programs don't show the edits of the NEF.

While I understand the benefits of a DAM program, I just want something clean and simple where I can tag, keyword and review photos...quickly.

I am running a Mac G4 Powerbook 1.67 and I am very pleased at how fast the images are loading.

However I did have my first crash...I was in the quick develop mode and when I adjusted the image and closed the image I was asked if I wanted to save the changes to the image and I selected "no" then it crashed.

But I am not put off by this, so far this looks very promising and exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you Nikon!

drl1954 Basic MemberTue 11-Sep-07 05:26 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Copenhagen, DK

Does Nikon View NX overwrite ACR in Photoshop plug-ins, file format folder?

Dana
Expat in Denmark
www.biomentis.com/fotos

Dana
Expat in Denmark
http://biomentis.com/fotos

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

michael1778 Registered since 02nd Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 05:59 PM
907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 3

Clemmons, US

I don't believe so. I don't think it's integrrated with Photoshop at all.

However, I've only had ViewNX installed for the past hour.....

Generally, I like what I see so far. It would be great if this could be added as a last minute lesson in the "workflow" portion of my Nikonians Academy Capture NX class this Saturday.

D700 __ 16-35 f/4 VR __ 24-85 f/2.8-4 __ 50 f/1.4G __ Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro __ Tamron 70-300 VC
SB-800 __ SB-600
Lightroom 5

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 11-Sep-07 06:23 PM
10842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Generally, I like what I see so far. It would be great if this could be added as a last minute lesson in the "workflow" portion of my Nikonians Academy Capture NX class this Saturday.

I've forwarded your input to Academy Director Mike Hagen. I can't promise anything though...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

michael1778 Registered since 02nd Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 07:00 PM
907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 6

Clemmons, US

Armando,
That is beyond kind of you. And if Winston does anything more than mention ViewNX exists, I would be very impressed!

I've been in the midst of workflow decisions and ViewNX complicates things a little. But it might tip things back toward using Capture NX as my 'normal' workflow route. We'll see.

Regardless, I want that class to make sure I'm using Capture NX to its best ability.

Thanks,
Michael

D700 __ 16-35 f/4 VR __ 24-85 f/2.8-4 __ 50 f/1.4G __ Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro __ Tamron 70-300 VC
SB-800 __ SB-600
Lightroom 5

jaymc Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 06:53 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Orchard, US

Downloaded all three and installed View NX. However, I'm confused about the other two. From what I understand, Transfer is a utility for View NX to transfer to Capture NX (something that Nikon View did by itself?) Is this right?
Also, PPE vs PP - what is the advantage of PPE over PP? Does it replace it? or update it?

- Jay ?

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 07:00 PM
#9. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Transfer is a separate executable that can be run stand-alone, or within View NX via an Icon added to the View NX toolbar. The end result, I think, is similar to the old View/Transfer setup, but I'm not sure if the old Transfer ran as a stand alone app. I have too much stuff in my prograqm groups to find it

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

michael1778 Registered since 02nd Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 07:24 PM
#10. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 7

Clemmons, US

Hi Jay,
PictureProject Export, which I did not install since I don't use PP, is for somehow converting what you do in PP over to ViewNX format. I think it's clear that PictureProject will not be important going forward.

Nikon Transfer does not move from ViewNX to Capture NX. As you mention, ViewNX calls Capture NX when commanded. Transfer is just to get the images out of the camera (or off the card) and to the destination(s) of your choice.

Check the Nikon Transfer Help file for more details. I was just reading the Getting Started section.

Between all the camera bodies, lenses, new software, and existing software updates, it's an exciting time for Nikonians!

Best Regards,
Michael

SB-800 __ SB-600
Lightroom 5

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Tue 11-Sep-07 08:38 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

The 'Picture Control' thing is interesting, and gives you access to quite a nice set of tools including Curves, but it's strangely implemented. Rather than taking the selected image in the browser as the starting point for customisation, it launches a separate utility which in turn (eventually!) loads some random Nikon sample image. At this point you can load your own NEF instead, but it seems to reject any file that's already been flagged as edited, even if you set everything back to the defaults. Is there any easy workaround for this?

The picture control utility is a promising feature, especially as the same set of adjustments can then be applied to multiple images, but it feels a bit 'tacked on' at the moment. The browser itself is rather more polished and looks like it will be nice to work with.

johnaalex Registered since 18th May 2007Tue 11-Sep-07 08:48 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 11

London, UK

>The 'Picture Control' thing is interesting, and gives you
>access to quite a nice set of tools including Curves, but
>it's strangely implemented. Rather than taking the selected
>image in the browser as the starting point for
>customisation, it launches a separate utility which in turn
>(eventually!) loads some random Nikon sample image. At this
>point you can load your own NEF instead, but it seems to
>reject any file that's already been flagged as edited, even
>if you set everything back to the defaults. Is there any
>easy workaround for this?
>
I am glad I am not the only one confused a bit by this!!

Regards

John

John Alexander

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 09:28 PM
#13. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 11

US

View NX, in general does not like images that were previously processed in capture. You cannot use the Quick Adjustment, nor can you generate JPGs and TIFs from NEFS after they have been modified by Capture. This signioficantly diminishes the value of these tools, and hopefully will be corrected in future releases.

Otherwise, you have to wonder.... what were they thinking?.... which has been a common thread of my own observations of Nikon's software

In the meantime, it obviously dema nds a different workflow, where you do what you need to do in View first, then finish up in Capture and render the final JPGs and TIFs in Capture.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Tue 11-Sep-07 09:53 PM
726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 13

It also looks like VNX can't 'cache' raw adjustments like the original Nikon View Editor can. In the old Editor, you can adjust WB and exp comp without writing anything back to the NEF, and still (e.g.) convert to a tiff in that editing session with these adjustments applied. In VNX, everything gets written back to the NEF and you can't make temporary changes; no raw adjustments can be applied if the file is protected. But if you unprotect the file and allow any changes to be saved, then (unless I'm missing something) you can't then use it as input for the Picture Control utility! So I guess it's best (as always) to archive your files before working on a separate copy...

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 10:13 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 14

Soldotna, US

The biggest problem I have with the new Nikon ViewNX and the new Nikon TransferNX is they changed the naming scheme. With Nikon View 6.27 I used 2007-09-11-14-09-26.NEF as my naming scheme. I have over 1 million photos named with that scheme. With ViewNX and TransferNX, I would have to change my naming scheme to 20070911-140926.NEF. This is devastating to me and my business. My customers would have to deal with 2 completely different naming schemes and try to get them right. I feel left behind with the new software and that my business does not matter to Nikon with this change.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Tue 11-Sep-07 10:47 PM
#16. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 15

Don't panic! There are many other options you can explore for file transfer and renaming. I haven't tried TransferNX and didn't use the old version, but it looks like you could, e.g., continue to use Transfer 6.x for renaming the files and copying them from your card to a local directory, then simply open that directory in VNX. You can probably run Transfer 6.x on its own without the browser (it's somewhere like C:\Program Files\Nikon\NkView6\NkvAcqu.exe on a typical Windows system).

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 11:25 PM
289 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 16

Soldotna, US

I am panicing!! I am an event and sports photographer and this is how I make my living. While speed of software is important, workflow continutity is just as important. The workflow in NikonView 6.27 along with Nikon Capture 4.2 was marevelous but slow. When Nikon partnered up with Nik and came out with CaptureNX and now TransferNX and ViewNX, they fixed the speed problem, but in the process, the workflow became dysfunctional. I already talked to Nikon Digital support and NikonView will not be usable with the new D300 and D3 cameras. I will be forced to use the new software. The new naming scheme will confuse my retail customers, my stock agency and anybody that tries to search my archive of photos. If I can't get the photos downloaded, renamed, put in the correct folder and then sent over the network to my viewing computers in less than 5 minutes, it costs me hundreds of dollars in lost sales, because in this digital age, customers WILL NOT wait. The new software is great for speed, but the workflow is choppy to the point of being dysfunctional. I need both in my business to be successful and I need the naming convention to be consistent. Nikon has really let me down with this new software and have forced me against the wall as to how my business may have to operate in the future. I thought those were MY choices with my business, not NIKON's choice.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

bowmah Basic MemberTue 11-Sep-07 11:29 PM
684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

Just download Transfer and it lost some functions from the PP days. In PP, I used to rename the folder on a download to yyyy-mm-dd. With the new transwer, the hyphens are removed on the date like so yyyymmdd. Is there a way around this?

Bowmah
--
"What we have to learn, we learn by doing."
"Happiness is not having what you want but wanting what you have."

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 11:38 PM
#21. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 19

Soldotna, US

>Just download Transfer and it lost some functions from the
>PP days. In PP, I used to rename the folder on a download to
>yyyy-mm-dd. With the new transwer, the hyphens are removed
>on the date like so yyyymmdd. Is there a way around this?

No, Nikon decided that the new naming scheme was better and dropped the old naming scheme. That is what I was told on Nikon's Digital Product Tech Support when I called them this morning.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 11:02 PM
#17. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 15

US

>The biggest problem I have with the new Nikon ViewNX and the
>new Nikon TransferNX is they changed the naming scheme.
>With Nikon View 6.27 I used 2007-09-11-14-09-26.NEF as my
>naming scheme. I have over 1 million photos named with that
>scheme. With ViewNX and TransferNX, I would have to change
>my naming scheme to 20070911-140926.NEF. This is
>devastating to me and my business. My customers would have
>to deal with 2 completely different naming schemes and try
>to get them right. I feel left behind with the new software
>and that my business does not matter to Nikon with this
>change.

I guess you used the "Use Shooting Date and Time" option? I didn't realize that it separated the time with dashes, per your above example? In any event, I agree with you in principle that Nikon does not respect the legasy impacts of changing workflow options. You should scream bloody murder to their support and comment email contacts, etc. You are a poster-child example of why continuity is so important when software is updated.

(I'm a software developer so I have a unique persepctive on this. Well, not unique, most of us seem to work in the IT field in one capacity or another ). And most of us understand intuitively things that seem so difficult for Nikon to grasp.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Tue 11-Sep-07 11:35 PM
#20. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 17

Soldotna, US

>I guess you used the "Use Shooting Date and Time" option? I
>didn't realize that it separated the time with dashes, per
>your above example? In any event, I agree with you in
>principle that Nikon does not respect the legasy impacts of
>changing workflow options. You should scream bloody murder
>to their support and comment email contacts, etc. You are a
>poster-child example of why continuity is so important when
>software is updated.
>
>(I'm a software developer so I have a unique persepctive on
>this. Well, not unique, most of us seem to work in the IT
>field in one capacity or another ). And most of us
>understand intuitively things that seem so difficult for
>Nikon to grasp.
>
>Neil

Yes Neil, you are correct. I used "Use Shooting Date and Time" option as it was the only way to keep from having duplicate photos names on different photos using multiple cameras. As the photos appear in order of being shot, it is easy for my customers to find their photos. Software will not keep the display the same when using 2 different numbering schemes (2007-09-11-15-30-46.NEF and 20070911-153046.NEF would be put in different places and therefore hard to find. I could use Downloader Pro or Digital Pro to keep my same naming scheme, but then my workflow becomes even more choppy and dysfunctional. Besides, I have timed them and Downloader Pro and Digital Pro are slower in downloading than NikonView 6.27 was.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 11-Sep-07 11:50 PM
#22. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 20

US

Adding an option to hyphen the dates is pretty trivial stuff. I hope they listen to your screaming.

I understand what you are trying to do. I shoot two bodies and it would be nice to get the images merged and sequenced by shooting time via the file name. What you do is quite creative, actually, as I think about it.

What you do is too complicated for my amateur needs; I just live with it. Nikon should take care of it's Pros though. That is what these D300's and D3's and mega expensive lenses are all about.

Regards,
Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 12-Sep-07 12:29 AM
#25. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 22

Soldotna, US

>Adding an option to hyphen the dates is pretty trivial
>stuff. I hope they listen to your screaming.
>
>I understand what you are trying to do. I shoot two bodies
>and it would be nice to get the images merged and sequenced
>by shooting time via the file name. What you do is quite
>creative, actually, as I think about it.
>
>What you do is too complicated for my amateur needs; I just
>live with it. Nikon should take care of it's Pros though.
>That is what these D300's and D3's and mega expensive lenses
>are all about.
>
>
>Regards,
>Neil

It is the way I have been shooting for the past several years. I think it was NikonView that was the first software to allow naming by date and time. For somebody just starting out, the new way they are doing it is just fine. But when you have been doing it a certain way for years and your customers and stock agency expect a certain naming convention and you change it, who knows what may happen.

It isn't all that creative, just something that the Nikon software allows you to do. Just set up the naming for "Use Shooting Date and Time" under preferences and you will never have a duplicate name even between different cameras in use during the same time because Nikon uses date and time down to the 1/100 of a second.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Tue 11-Sep-07 11:57 PM
#23. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 20

I was just going to suggest Downloader Pro (ImageIngester is another option), but do we know for sure that the old Nikon View and Picture Project versions of Transfer won't continue to work, even with D3/D300 files? If you're only using it for file renaming and moving, the format of the NEF may not matter, though this may not be true for other functions (like metadata editing and image rotation). Note that I seem to be wrong (see above) about running the old Transfer completely independently of the browser, however - I just tried this and it doesn't pick up the card unless launched from within the browser.

bowmah Basic MemberWed 12-Sep-07 12:18 AM
684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 23

CA

I still cannot believe that there is no option to add a dash in between yyyy,mm and dd. Technically, it doesn't sound difficult. Either someone at Nikon's QA department needs a spanking or it could be their R&D department! I am a little steaming right now.

Bowmah
--

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 12-Sep-07 12:32 AM
#26. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 23

Soldotna, US

>I was just going to suggest Downloader Pro (ImageIngester is
>another option), but do we know for sure that the old Nikon
>View and Picture Project versions of Transfer won't continue
>to work, even with D3/D300 files?

That is what Nikon Tech Support told me this morning on the phone. They told me that I have to use the new software because the newer cameras will not work with the older software or I could continue using the old software as long as I only used the older cameras.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

DavidRamey Registered since 11th Jan 2006Wed 12-Sep-07 01:48 AM
#27. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 26

Soldotna, US

To be fair to NikonUSA, I have to report that the General Manager of Technical Support has contacted me about my concerns and will make sure they are on the list for improvements. Now this doesn't mean they will fix it, but they will AT LEAST give it some serious consideration. I thank NikonUSA for that consideration.

David C. Ramey
David Ramey Photography

michael1778 Registered since 02nd Jan 2006Wed 12-Sep-07 01:54 AM
#28. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 27

Clemmons, US

Hello David,
First I wanted to express my agreement that Nikon was very restrictive in how the renaming works in ViewNX. Considering how this is reported to be different from View 6.x, that boggles the mind. Here is hoping for a quick 1.1 release or service pack!

Finally, I want to commend you on your class in passing along how NikonUSA has made good motions as far as listening to you and others.

Best Regards,
Michael

PS -- I'll need to take this app throgh a simulated workflow of unedited NEF to see how valuable it is to me. I'm still disappointed that the thumbnails are not the real colors of the underlying NEF. But the filmstrip view is closer.

SB-800 __ SB-600
Lightroom 5

martinc Registered since 15th Dec 2005Wed 12-Sep-07 06:09 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"

Stockport, UK

David

While you are waiting for the modification of NikonView NX, you might want to consider using Stamp. This is a FREEWARE utility that uses EXIF data to rename images so that they sort in chronological order. Although it can be set up to download images, you could use, say, NVNX to transfer your images without a name change and then use Stamp’s batch process facility to rename them. It is extremely fast and does not alter file contents. It is one of those fine pieces of software that does one thing and does it perfectly. It is available at http://www.klingebiel.com/tempest/hd/stamp.php4.

Martin

Gallery

Martin

Wildlife and Travel Photography Books

"Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty."
David Hume, Scottish philosopher, 'Of the Standard of Taste' (1757).

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 12-Sep-07 06:14 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"

Durban, ZA

Why don't you just continue using the transfer utility that came with NikonView 6.27? If that software works, then why do you want to change?
Just a thought...

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

RDW Registered since 20th Sep 2002Wed 12-Sep-07 07:55 AM
#31. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 30

That's what I'm suggesting above, but the reply from Nikon tech support suggests it won't work. But depending how specific their answer was, there still might be hope. We already know that NV 6.x isn't fully compatible with the new cameras (e.g. raw conversion doesn't work with anything newer than the D200), so perhaps they have a generic answer to all queries about compatibility (even if some functions continue to work). I would certainly give it a try first! In any case, I completely sympathise with everyone this is affecting; there's no reason at all why they shouldn't add back the original naming option, and hopefully they'll listen to your concerns.

GrahamS Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 12-Sep-07 03:10 PM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 31

Edinburgh, UK

Until you get a response from Nikon can I recommend that you take a look at:

Bulk Rename Utility
http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

This excellent application can rename thousands of files in under a second.
Using it to add some hyphens to your filenames should be pretty trivial.
Plus it is free (as in beer).

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002Wed 12-Sep-07 11:14 AM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Manchester, US

I didn't see anything about how to proceed when you already have NikonView 6 installed. Does ViewNX overwrite it? Do you need to uninstall it before beginning or will the two programs coexits?

Cliff
Alexandria, VA, USA

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 12-Sep-07 12:03 PM
#33. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 32

US

I just installed ViewNX without removing NV 6.2.7. They appear to coexist just fine.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

C_Otto Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2002Wed 12-Sep-07 12:38 PM
1412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 33

Manchester, US

>I just installed ViewNX without removing NV 6.2.7. They
>appear to coexist just fine.
>
>Neil

Thanks, I guess I'll take a look, then.

Cliff
Alexandria, VA, USA

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Wed 12-Sep-07 12:47 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

I was really hoping that View NX would be good enough that I wouldn't feel the need to drop money on PhotoMechanic. Although View NX is way ahead of View 6, it is quite far behind PM. I'm encouraged and disappointed at the same time.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Wed 12-Sep-07 01:51 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#36. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 0

Odessa, US

Mostly I like the new View/Transfer. It's nice that they split them out and that it's still free. I like the histogram

But... I have noticed something that irks me a bit. It's no longer possible to delete while viewing in full screen. Often I will flip back and forth between 2 or 3 pictures in full screen and then delete the ones I don't want to keep. The addition of the histogram is great as it can help determine which shot I wish to keep but now I have to exit full screen and then do the deletes from the thumbnail view. Annoying.

Also, the default for the delete confirmation is No which means instead of hitting the DELETE key and ENTER I have to hit DELETE, then Y (or click Yes).

And finally, something else I used occasionally was the ability to select two or three thumbnails that were not next to each other, then press enter to flip back and forth between them in full screen where I could then decide which one to keep. I haven't figured out how to do that in VNX.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Wed 12-Sep-07 03:39 PM
#38. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 36

US

Andy,

I think the solution to the delete problem is to use the film strip mode (click View, then Image Viewer from the menu), make the thumbnails small and slide the left side stuff back to make the selected main image as large as possible.

I was unaware of the method you used in NV 6.2 to compare images not adjacent to each other. Now that 6.2 is bye bye I finally know how to do that

One solution might be to set some labels or ratings and then sort or filter those ratings or labels, flip back and forth, then remove the labels/ratings. Not as elegent as your old solution; just thinking of a work-around. Just tried it and it is pretty quick and intuitive. This is something that got me into using ThumbsPlus (Ron Reznick likes that app for culling), but ThumbsPLus does not support NEFs, which was always an issue with me. It does have some very sophisticated database capabilities but I never got that far. I use it for culling many similar images not necessarily adjacent to each other in a sort.

(ThumbsPLus is nice because you pick images and then display them as separate windows that can be synced in terms of position, or unsynced. If the images are framed the same, you can zoom all to 100% and move around all the images simultaneously. If they are not framed consistently you have to do it the hard way, getting each 100% crop into position)

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Wed 12-Sep-07 05:45 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#39. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 38

Odessa, US

>Andy,
>
>I think the solution to the delete problem is to use the
>film strip mode (click View, then Image Viewer from the
>menu), make the thumbnails small and slide the left side
>stuff back to make the selected main image as large as
>possible.

That might be workable but sometimes the delete key quits working based on the focus. If I click in the thumbnails area I can delete but sometimes the focus gets lost (in the full view area?) and then the delete key no longer works. It's a bit flaky.

>One solution might be to set some labels or ratings and then
>sort or filter those ratings or labels, flip back and forth,
>then remove the labels/ratings.

I suppose I could learn to do it that way.. I may go with plan A and see if they resolve the delete issues in 1.01. Thanks for the suggestion.

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Wed 12-Sep-07 10:38 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: New: Nikon View NX, Transfer and Picture Project Ex"
In response to Reply # 39

Christchurch, NZ

View NX and Transfer NX are a good start but...

1/ The non functioning delete on full screen in VNX is a show stopper for my use.

2/ VNX sometimes crashes while moving between folders in the explorer.

3/ TNX allows creation of "duplicate" XMP/IPTC custom profiles (to be applied during transfer) but one cant rename the duplicated profiles to something meaningful except by editing the registry!

4/ Also relating to TNX XMP/IPTC tags, not all specified fields are set in the IPTC tags of the image. For example even something as fundamental as City and Country are missing in the IPTC tags of photographs despite being set.

5/ The printing dialogue has some better format customisation options (cf CNX) but the dialogue is not based upon the one in CNX and is overall retrograde.

Yes, hopefully 1.01 will rectify those shortcomings.

PETER

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

SpacerM Registered since 30th Sep 2004Thu 13-Sep-07 05:38 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 38

>Andy,
>
>I think the solution to the delete problem is to use the
>film strip mode (click View, then Image Viewer from the
>menu), make the thumbnails small and slide the left side
>stuff back to make the selected main image as large as
>possible.

The problem is, this does not work as it should, either. If one uses the filmstrip mode with a large preview and deletes an image then the preview, instead of displaying the next image (as it does in just about every program out there) simply displays "no image selected."

You now either have to go back to the strip with your mouse and click the next image, or worse, use the arrow keys. I say worse because using the left arrow key displays the last image (who wants that?) and then right arrow key does not display the NEXT image after the deleted one, but rather TWO pictures later. So if we have pics 1,2,3,4,5 and delete "3" we get “no image selected” then we hit right arrow, but get picture 5 displayed instead of 4. Lots of fun with 100+ images.

I am desperate for a browser that will read CaptureNX RAW edits, but the clunky interface and programming decisions on ViewNX makes it a no go for me.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 13-Sep-07 05:47 PM
#42. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 41

US

You should report this to Tech Support. If enough people squawk, they probably listen. I'm in the software biz- squeeky wheel gets grease and moves up the priority list. I have not done enough culling to see what you are talking about- I am busy trying to get a big pile of images out now, but I agree it should work smoother and it's critical.

This browser doesn't really read raw edits either, it just displays the embedded JPG(s) and locks you out if any editing was done. Ironically, in many ways it is no improvement on NV 6.2.7, which cannot read CNX raw edits.

Hopefully we just have to be patient.

my Nikonians gallery.

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Thu 13-Sep-07 05:57 PM
#43. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 41

Odessa, US

I am not seeing this behavior. Deleting an image loads the next image.

I did this on a series of pictures yesterday and it actually worked pretty well. In fact I have decided it's kinda nice to have the thumbnails along the top as a guide to where I am in the pictures I am flipping back and forth between.

SpacerM Registered since 30th Sep 2004Thu 13-Sep-07 06:34 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 43

I'm on Mac, if that makes a difference, and just confirmed the behavior again. I'll check my setting later to see if I did anything wonky, but deleting in film strip mode isn't working cleanly for me.

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Thu 13-Sep-07 06:48 PM
#45. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 44

Odessa, US

Do you have a different sort order selected? I am just sorting by file name.

SpacerM Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 14-Sep-07 03:34 AM
#48. "RE: Another View NX "Feature"?"
In response to Reply # 45

>Do you have a different sort order selected? I am just
>sorting by file name.

Just confirmed this again, and for me sort order does not seem to matter (I am in Image Viewer, with "Arrange Thumbnails" set to either "name" or "shoot date", accending.

When I hit command-delete to delete a clunker, the next pic has a box around it, but is not selected in the strip or displayed- the preview box switches from displaying a pic to saying "no image is selected" Hitting left arrow then gives me the bad behaviour of skipping forward two shots past the one that was deleted.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 13-Sep-07 07:09 PM
#46. "ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm using the Win version and I have the grid thumbnails displayed. I am selecting multiple TN's with the Ctl key held down. I then right click and select a label.

My images get labelled, but also copied back to the same folder with the name "Copied - \

I *think* I may have reproduced this even before assigning a label, but not sure. Am I doing something wrong or somehow activating some copy shortcut? Any ideas? I am definitely NOT taking a copy option, and this is driving me nuts because I have to constantly cull out the copies. It does not happen every time, but happened on all but one of the series I did, without about 6 different labeling sets.

Neil

my Nikonians gallery.

SDdave Registered since 04th Sep 2006Fri 14-Sep-07 01:05 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem"
In response to Reply # 46

San Diego, US

For anyone still concerned about Nikon Transfer not allowing you to insert hyphens into new filenames, you might want to look at a small but very powerful free bulk file renaming utility called 1-4a Rename http://www.1-4a.com/rename/. Most bulk file renaming utilities can insert a hyphen into a filename, the trick is to insert lots of hyphens into a filename in one pass. 1-4a Rename can do this by using an insert string of <n1-4>-<n5-6>-<n7-8>-…, where <n1-4> stands for characters 1 to 4, etc. Once you’ve created the insert string, you could save it to a plain text file, then copy and paste it when you want to use it again.

Dave

bowmah Basic MemberFri 14-Sep-07 06:12 PM
#49. "RE: ViewNX Bizarre selecting-copying-labelling problem"
In response to Reply # 47

CA

At this point, the new transfer looks great as it allows you to download to a 2ndary location. If I do decide to move, I will have to spend some time renaming all my folders using one of the free utilities.

I have done bulk renames before. It may take some time to get things sorted out (rules etc...) but given some time, hopefully we can all get to a stage that we can live with.

Nikon really dropped the ball on this one.

Bowmah
--

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #32622 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.