Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #31144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX 1.2 posted" Previous topic | Next topic
Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 07-Aug-07 01:55 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Capture NX 1.2 posted"

Minneapolis, US

An update to Capture NX has been posted to Nikon's website.

Get it from http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=dtc_home and click on Capture NX.

Curtis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted
TiggerGTO Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
Gandalf_22h Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
DrJay32 Gold Member
07th Aug 2007
TiggerGTO Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
ChrisLilley
16th Aug 2007
Jur
07th Aug 2007
nwcs Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
nwcs Silver Member
07th Aug 2007
hurlpigeons
07th Aug 2007
zeex3
08th Aug 2007
Scooter Silver Member
08th Aug 2007
Jur
08th Aug 2007
doobes
20th Aug 2007
nwcs Silver Member
08th Aug 2007
DeadKenny
08th Aug 2007
oferinga
08th Aug 2007
goldberg96
08th Aug 2007
raysem
08th Aug 2007
DeadKenny
08th Aug 2007
Howgill One
16th Aug 2007
hurlpigeons
08th Aug 2007
SpeedRight
09th Aug 2007
tsservo
14th Aug 2007
Davieboy
14th Aug 2007
Xopher
15th Aug 2007
DeadKenny
15th Aug 2007
hrbaan
17th Aug 2007
DeadKenny
17th Aug 2007
heiber
18th Aug 2007
Nielsen
18th Aug 2007
18th Aug 2007
palouse
19th Aug 2007
19th Aug 2007
Jani Silver Member
21st Aug 2007
tundracamper
21st Aug 2007
goldberg96
21st Aug 2007
Jani Silver Member
21st Aug 2007
hrbaan
22nd Aug 2007
Jani Silver Member
22nd Aug 2007
goldberg96
22nd Aug 2007
tundracamper
22nd Aug 2007
goldberg96
22nd Aug 2007
hrbaan
22nd Aug 2007
Jani Silver Member
24th Aug 2007
bodhisattva
24th Aug 2007
Jani Silver Member
24th Aug 2007

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 07-Aug-07 02:05 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

Jason,
Now that NX 1.2 has been posted can you give us your impressions since I'm sure you've been working with it for a while.

Thanks,
Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Danny

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberTue 07-Aug-07 04:51 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 1

Runcorn, GB

Also on Nikon Europe server for download. .NET2.0 is now required but will download it for you during install, then visit MU to get any available security patches. All done and dusted and the bugs that plagued me are Fixed - hooray!!

Nikonian from Cheshire UK
per digitus ad astra

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 07-Aug-07 05:27 PM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 1

Colorado Springs, US

Mostly this is a bug fix release.
One big improvement is that v1.2 fixes the "relative vs. absolute" WB correction issue. WB is now applied properly when you copy/paste between images that had different WB presets applied initially.

Before, if you used a "daylight" preset and then made a manual gray point WB correction, the proper setting was only applied to another image that was also shot in "daylight". This no longer is the case.

Also, I was told that the rare "black line" issue has been fixed, but I have no way of confirming this as I believe this issue only occurs on the Windows version of NX.

Other than that, the 1.2 release doesn't really add anything new, but it does improve the operation of the application.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide to Capture NX
Now includes Supplement One

www.luminescentphoto.com

Listen to The Image Doctors

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Nik Silver Efex Pro, Digital Landscapes

www.luminescentphoto.com

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 07-Aug-07 07:27 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 4

Apex, US

Do you know if they fixed the problem where cropping a picture causes previously added control points to move?

Danny

Danny

ChrisLilley Registered since 14th Jul 2007Thu 16-Aug-07 11:28 AM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>Also, I was told that the rare "black line" issue has been
>fixed, but I have no way of confirming this as I believe
>this issue only occurs on the Windows version of NX.

I reported this issue with 1.1 to Nikon UK; they confirmed the issue and said 1.2 would fix it.

I'm downloading it now. As you say its an intermittent fault so it will take a while to be sure that its fixed.

--
Camera <ˈkæ mə rə>, n. Device for taking pictures in bright light.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nantonos

Jur Registered since 12th Nov 2003Tue 07-Aug-07 05:10 PM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Haren Gn, NL

I've found that in NX 1.2 D-lighting has become much slower and less manageable than in NX 1.1. Also annoying is the fact that a change of the white-balance under camera-settings unchecks the edit-steps that already have been made.

Jur
Dutch Nikonian

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 07-Aug-07 07:51 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

So far so good. Does seem a bit faster. Some of the stability points I ran into seem fixed.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 07-Aug-07 08:01 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 6

Knoxville, US

OK, now time to add a bug.

I crashed after doing an "Open With..." operation. Now I get the error "This application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" with an OK button. After clicking OK the program runs normally... so far as I can tell.

hurlpigeons Registered since 20th Jul 2007Tue 07-Aug-07 09:20 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I got a bug (maybe it's a feature):
When saving files the progress bar is no longer updated, though you still get the dialog box.

First time this happen I thought nothing got saved, but it did. Happens every occurrence with saving.

zeex3 Basic MemberWed 08-Aug-07 01:16 AM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Compare mode is alot faster and the preview window much bigger

Please visit my gallery
http://www.naturexposed.net

Scooter Silver Member Charter MemberWed 08-Aug-07 04:06 AM
511 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 8

Milwaukie, US

This same thing happens on mine. No progress shows in the progress bar when saving an image.

What is the Image updating notice on the image title bar. Why is the image updating when you open it and why does it take so long?

Windows XP SP2

Scooter

My Website

Jur Registered since 12th Nov 2003Wed 08-Aug-07 08:38 AM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 10

Haren Gn, NL

I've also found that NX 1.2 is less stable that NX 1.1, as I'm encountering program crashes quite often now.

My system is PC Pentium 4, 3.2GHz with 2Gb RAM under Windows XP.

For now I'm back tot NX 1.1 and waiting for the next update......
Later I discovered that files updated with 1.2 can no longer be modified in NX 1.1, only in NC4!!

Jur
Dutch Nikonian

doobes Registered since 25th Feb 2004Mon 20-Aug-07 12:03 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 11

Reston, US

>I've also found that NX 1.2 is less stable that NX 1.1, as
>I'm encountering program crashes quite often now.
>
>My system is PC Pentium 4, 3.2GHz with 2Gb RAM under Windows
>XP.
>
>For now I'm back tot NX 1.1 and waiting for the next
>update......
>Later I discovered that files updated with 1.2 can no longer
>be modified in NX 1.1, only in NC4!!

I had the same problem with 1.2 crashing a lot. I did a complete uninstall, a registry purge and a fresh new install and this solved the problem completely.

Chris

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 08-Aug-07 11:03 AM
#12. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

I'm assuming it just opens the embedded jpeg for immediate visualization and then continues to render the raw. After I got a copy of msvcrt71.dll and placed it in the Capture folder, things seem to be running better. I noticed a bit of a lag time in doing edits and selecting Levels & Curves but that isn't too unusual. Overall, it seems to be an improvement.

DeadKenny Registered since 09th Jan 2005Wed 08-Aug-07 11:40 AM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Woking, GB

Important thing for me is that they fix the colour profile bug(s) as promised.
(see http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&forum=DCForumID36&om=19057)

Can't see much in the list of what they've fixed though, only this...

"An issue that prevented the saving of images edited with the "Adjust > Color Profile..." and "Adjust > Color > LCH..." options has been resolved."

but it doesn't sound like my problem. The issue is not that it won't save but that profile changes are sometimes just ignored as are other settings when saving to JPEG, especially when batch processing.

A bit worrying if people are having fresh stability problems with the latest version though, and doubly annoying if this fixes my main issue but makes it unusable. I'd go back to 1.0 but I doubt my edited NEFs from 1.1 will work in 1.0.

oferinga Registered since 11th Aug 2004Wed 08-Aug-07 01:05 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

I don't encounter the stability problems on my Mac like some Windows users say they have. But that's not new.

Great update. The app seems to work faster. Opens NEF files quicker and navigating through a 100% zoomed-in image is very fast. Only D-Lighting in HQ mode seems slower.

--
Nikon D300 | Nikon SB800
Nikkor AF 50 f1.8D
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70 f/3.5-4.5G
Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR
Tokina 12-24 f/4
http://www.feringa.net
http://www.nikon-club-nederland.nl

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Wed 08-Aug-07 02:20 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 14

Martinez, US

If Version 1.2 is available, why don't you pick it up when you click on Update Capture NX from the HELP menu within the program? When you do that, it says there are no updates. Will it eventually show up there?

Rob

Rob Goldberg
San Francisco Area Nikonian

raysem Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 08-Aug-07 08:01 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 15

Edmonton, CA

Installed it yeasterday and tried about 10 edit sessions (Windows XP Pro SP2, 4GB RAM, P4-6400 2.13GHz).

So far I've found that it's a bit slower in opening a compressed NEF (from my D80). A yellow "yield" sign stays on the title bar of the image window for about 8-10 seconds - it never did that before!

I've also found that the D-Lighting is ***MUCH*** slower than v1.1, mainly in advanced mode. The advanced D-Lighting even shows sluggishness when you zoom in to 100% and pan around the image. Un-checking the D-Lighting in the edit list returns everything to high speed. It's more of an annoyance than a huge issue. I'm guessing that the D-Lighting portion of NX has been greatly modified - that's probably the reason for the performance difference.

Other than that, so far so good!

-- Ray --

DeadKenny Registered since 09th Jan 2005Wed 08-Aug-07 08:41 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 16

Woking, GB

I was finding D-Lighting was doing more harm than good anyway to my photos. I find I get far better results with colour control points (I really love them).

Howgill One Registered since 29th Jul 2007Thu 16-Aug-07 11:14 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 16

AU

>So far I've found that it's a bit slower in opening a compressed NEF (from my D80). A >yellow "yield" sign stays on the title bar of the image window for about 8-10 seconds - it >never did that before!

After reminding NX where the cache is twice since it crashed the first time (on an additional internal drive) and actually deleting the contents of the cache (well moving and renaming the folder just in case) and after saving a now cacheless file, opening is much quicker than in 1.1. This is on a Power Mac.

David Barrett
Cumbria, UK

http://www.inspiredbythelandscape.com/
http://www.david-barrett.co.uk/
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chapelbeckmill/
Linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidbarrett1

hurlpigeons Registered since 20th Jul 2007Wed 08-Aug-07 10:03 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No crashes on my end seems faster, never use dlighting myself
get good results regardless.

Notice that it likes to call mother earth more often. Everytime on open.
Notice yield sign more as others expirienced.

Seems faster though.

SpeedRight Registered since 14th Jan 2006Thu 09-Aug-07 10:42 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 18

Sydney, AU

Have to agree with an earlier comment, why doesn't it show up under the software update option on the help menu? Sloppy work IMO.

tsservo Registered since 12th Nov 2005Tue 14-Aug-07 09:41 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Hi all. Long ago when Capture NX 1.0 was released I decided to give it a whirl. I didn't like it all that much, uninstalled it, and never used it again. I gave v1.01 and v1.1 a pass but decided to try out v1.2.

I installed it but found that it thinks my trial is expired. I'm sure that original 1.0 trial is expired but it doesn't appear to have reset that timer so I can try out 1.2.

Is there a way that I can give 1.2 spin without having to find another computer?

Thanks much.

-----
I placed in my first ever NatGeo photo competition!

An Orange Penguin Photography

Davieboy Registered since 23rd May 2006Tue 14-Aug-07 08:21 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 20

Glenrothes, GB

Here are my findings after a few days of use on a PC using a dual core processor with 3 GB RAM and a Vista OS.
Pluses: files open much quicker from the browser; save as JPEG produces better quality than before; compare (before and after editing) mode is much quicker.
Minuses: browser reverts to original view between edits (means I always need to scroll down to find the next file for editing); white balance alterations done from Edit List using "set color temperature" do not show in "set grey point mode" (I can't see by how much the red and blue channels have been adjusted; seems to work fine when adjusted from "camera settings"); it appears to be cancelling my monitor profile set with Colorvision Spyder 2; occasional hesitation opening files before editing (infrequent and unpredictable); D lighting much slower, like an early version of Capture 4. Since there are bugs in Vista, not all the minuses may be Nik's fault.
So that's 3 steps forward and 5 steps back (so far).
When I have time I'll test it on my laptop, which is a bit older and uses XP, to see if it runs better.
Dave

Xopher Registered since 25th May 2003Wed 15-Aug-07 01:38 AM
375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Has there been any improvement in the batch processing routine, or speed of workflow when working on a large number of images?

With the reports of problems on the Windows side, I am quite hesitant to update to the latest version. It seems like qiute a while between updates with little progress made.

DeadKenny Registered since 09th Jan 2005Wed 15-Aug-07 07:36 PM
#23. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 22

Woking, GB

Batch processing seems quicker, but I'm wary of that.

It takes a long time usually for Capture to render all adjustments when opening a NEF. 1.2 seems to open a NEF for viewing and then render adjustments in the background while allowing you to get on with other things which is good. However you can see it still takes a while (that's what the yellow alert symbol is for). Given that, I'm suspicious of the batch processing taking so little time loading a NEF. The problem I've found in the past is NX often just plain ignores existing adjustments when doing batch processing to convert to sRGB JPEG (for example, as that's mainly what I use it for).

That said it seems to be going okay for me. Although I still find sRGB JPEGs look a shade darker than the Adobe RGB NEF I edit, but then I'm finding similar in Photoshop now. Maybe it's my monitor calibration or maybe I'm just expecting too much. Don't know, but I struggle so much with colour profiles. Oh well.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 17-Aug-07 09:01 AM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 23

Kockengen, NL

>The problem I've found in the past is NX often just plain
>ignores existing adjustments when doing batch processing to
>convert to sRGB JPEG (for example, as that's mainly what I
>use it for).

Hmm, I've definitely not noticed this at all. Are you sure you have the batch "append" to append the settings, and not to replace them? This option can be easily overlooked in the batch dialog...

HTH, Hayo Baan
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan

When it's time to stop living, I will certainly make Death my number one choice!
Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
web: www.hayobaan.nl
blog: blog.hayobaan.nl
500px: 500px.com/HayoBaan

DeadKenny Registered since 09th Jan 2005Fri 17-Aug-07 08:56 PM
#27. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 26

Woking, GB

Yeah, I always use the append setting.

It's a definite bug though as I reported it to Nikon and they replied confirming it's a known bug and it would be fixed in the next version (which is 1.2).

I've not at least seen it lose settings in batch processing yet with 1.2 but I'm still not sure about colour profile conversion working right but then it could be my monitor calibration.

Big frustration with colour profiles though is no one really has their monitor calibrated the same so it's frustrating to see your photos on someone else's monitor too light or dark. Not really a fault of Capture, it's just a general problem with photos and computers.

heiber Registered since 15th Apr 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 10:30 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 27

US

The Crop tool is not working for me. I can select a crop, but it will not get committed as a step. Hitting enter does nothing. The only thing I can do is hit Escape and cancel the crop.

Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.

*** Updated - it does work if you double click inside the cropped window. I thought you used to be able to hit enter for it to take effect as well.

Nielsen Registered since 11th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 11:44 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 28

NO

>The Crop tool is not working for me. I can select a crop,
>but it will not get committed as a step. Hitting enter does
>nothing. The only thing I can do is hit Escape and cancel
>the crop.
>
>Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
>
>*** Updated - it does work if you double click inside the
>cropped window. I thought you used to be able to hit enter
>for it to take effect as well.

Yes, explained here :http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14212
Kind regards
Nielsen

Kind regards
Nielsen

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberSat 18-Aug-07 05:32 PM
996 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 28

Runcorn, GB

>The Crop tool is not working for me. I can select a crop,
>but it will not get committed as a step. Hitting enter does
>nothing. The only thing I can do is hit Escape and cancel
>the crop.
>
>Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
>
>*** Updated - it does work if you double click inside the
>cropped window. I thought you used to be able to hit enter
>for it to take effect as well.

heiber You are correct, in v1.1 you could just hit Enter for the crop to take effect, but, alas, in v1.2 Not. Now you must double click within the crop area for the crop to take effect.

per digitus ad astra

palouse Registered since 20th May 2006Sun 19-Aug-07 03:38 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 30

US

>>The Crop tool is not working for me. I can select a crop,
>>but it will not get committed as a step. Hitting enter does
>>nothing. The only thing I can do is hit Escape and cancel
>>the crop.
>

You can also hit ALT + Enter (on windows)--I found this out because of frustration!

D-lighting advanced mode s slow and defaults to a 50% setting (way too light) but found that the basic setting is now more accurate.

I have experienced more crashes/freezes than with 1.1. (vista with 2 gigs, dual core.)

Batch processing is faster, no black lines.

I had also experienced 1/4" black squares on the top left corner of my 4x6 prints (canon i9100)--not on screen, only on prints. Seemed to be related to the type of post processing I had employed, since it stated to show up after I had begun to use Jason Odell's work flow. This has been corrected in 1.2

Gandalf_22h Silver Member Charter MemberSun 19-Aug-07 05:05 PM
#32. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 31

Runcorn, GB

"You can also hit ALT + Enter (on windows)--I found this out because of frustration!"

Excellent palouse That does work - nice one.

per digitus ad astra

Jani Silver Member Charter MemberTue 21-Aug-07 11:07 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 0

Budapest, HU

Hi there,

Yesterday I downloaded NX 1.2 from Europian server. I wanted to try it out if it is realy faster than NX 1.1 (I didn't buy the predecessor since IMHO it is too slow). After installation NX 1.2 says that the trial period expired, 0 days left.

Can somebody explain how to run NX 1.2 trial mode?

Jani
(Nikonian from Hungary)
Don't miss to visit my web site:
www.njfoto.hu

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tundracamper Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Tue 21-Aug-07 04:30 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 34

US

>Can somebody explain how to run NX 1.2 trial mode?

I believe NX leaves some trace file on a PC to keep up with this, even if you uninstall NX. I think you will need to use another computer.

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Tue 21-Aug-07 04:40 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 35

Martinez, US

If you're on a PC (not a MAC), then can do the following:

Go into the registry (if you're comfortable with that) by typing REGEDIT from the RUN menu and then find and delete every reference to Capture NX. Of course first uninstall the version you have in now.

Once you've uninstalled the current version and gone through the registry, go to PROGRAM FILES on your C Drive and delete any folders still there. The main heading will be NIKON and within that folder will be a folder for Capture NX.

Once you've done both of those things you should be able to reinstall the version you want and it should work as desired.

Rob

Rob Goldberg

Jani Silver Member Charter MemberTue 21-Aug-07 08:26 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 36

Budapest, HU

Hi Rob,

I followed your instructions, cleand up the registry and deleted all the folders as you suggested. After I installed Capture NX 1.2 but it still doesn't work and still says "The trial period expired". Don't know what should be the problem. Tomorrow at my work place I will install it on a computer which never "met" Capture NX or other Nikon software. If it will work than I left something in a registry or somewhere else on my PC.

Thank you for your help.

Jani
www.njfoto.hu

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 22-Aug-07 10:26 AM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 37

Kockengen, NL

The described approach was what worked with previous versions.
Now with Capture NX, Nikon has "improved" their check for (ab)use of the trial period. Now once you have activated the trial period, there is nothing you can do to get back the spent days. Not even a complete system reinstall will work! Nikon simply keeps track of the trial usage on their system, not on yours.

Sorry, Hayo Baan

When it's time to stop living, I will certainly make Death my number one choice!

Hayo Baan – Photography

Jani Silver Member Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-07 11:09 AM
#39. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 38

Budapest, HU

Seems that you are right. Today I installed the v1.2 trial on a computer which was NX-free. There were no problems at all, the NX started with 30 days left to the end of the trial period. After it I uninstalled the NX, removed all folders used by Nikon and cleaned up the registry. Finaly reinstalled the NX and it didn't work. So yes, the Nikon administrated that I installed the NX one time and he doesn't let me to reinstall it more. I undertsand that Nikon has to guard against abuse of the trial period, but once he can register the fact of the installation why doesnt't he administrate the date and time of it?

Jani
www.njfoto.hu

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Wed 22-Aug-07 01:13 PM
#40. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 39

Martinez, US

If Nikon is the one keeping track of the trial period, then you should have no problem putting it in if you disable your internet connection while installing and using Capture NX. Just go into Network Connections and right click your network adapter and select DISABLE. When you're through, go back again and click ENABLE.

Just a thought. Should work. They can't check anything if you're not on a live network.

Rob Goldberg

tundracamper Registered since 22nd Nov 2006Wed 22-Aug-07 04:26 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 40

US

>Just a thought. Should work. They can't check anything if
>you're not on a live network.

If I'm not mistaken, it would not let me open the trail the first time without being connected to the internet. That explains that!

goldberg96 Registered since 11th Feb 2007Wed 22-Aug-07 05:21 PM
#42. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 41

Martinez, US

I don't have any trouble opening Capture without an internet connection on my machine. I just tried it.

Rob Goldberg

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Wed 22-Aug-07 06:39 PM
#43. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 42

Kockengen, NL

You do need to be connected to be able to activate the product.

Cheers, Hayo Baan

Hayo Baan – Photography

Jani Silver Member Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-07 08:31 AM
#44. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 42

Budapest, HU

Yes, because you have already activated the licence. It won't work without internet connection at first run. That way NX disables the trial option.

Jani
www.njfoto.hu

bodhisattva Registered since 09th Jun 2007Fri 24-Aug-07 01:41 PM
176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 44

Folsom, US

I had a prior version of Capture for the 30 day trial. Due to unrelated issues on my iBook, I completely erased the hard drive and did a system reinstall.

This has allowed a download of NX 1.2, which shows the 30 day trial period again.

-j

Jani Silver Member Charter MemberFri 24-Aug-07 07:57 PM
#46. "RE: Capture NX 1.2 posted"
In response to Reply # 45

Budapest, HU

Huhh... not an easy way: Full reinstall.
Now I'm absolutely not sure about how Nikon registers the fact of the installation. Does he administrate it on the net or perhaps he does register it somewhere on the local machine.

Jani
www.njfoto.hu

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #31144 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.