Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #28
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photoshop Dummy....here" Previous topic | Next topic
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberFri 27-Oct-00 11:23 PM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photoshop Dummy....here"

Private, UM

Ok, I'll admit I know very little about Photoshop, so I'll ask a few questins.
Just purchased a new computer, printer, scanner, etc., all three items came with different copies of photoshop.
Printer came with Adobe PhotoDeluxe version 3.1
Have another disk (not sure which component it came with) for Adobe PhotoDeluxe Version 4.0. Now I undertand that this is just an updated copy of Version 3.1...no problem
However, I also have a disc that came with the scanner (I think) for Adope Photoshop 5.o Limited Edition.
What is the major differences between Photodeluxe and Photoshop?
It appears I have more discs here than Carter has little liver pills.
Any recommendations from you computer knowledgeable people will be greatly appreciated. It's not that I'm a complete computer idiot, I'm just not used to these photo software programs.
Thanks for any help,

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photoshop Dummy....here
jrp Administrator
28th Oct 2000
f5fstop
28th Oct 2000
Mikepoison
28th Oct 2000
f5fstop
28th Oct 2000
Mikepoison
28th Oct 2000
N80 Silver Member
29th Oct 2000

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 28-Oct-00 12:15 AM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

DD:
Both software packages are for about the same purpose: image manipulation.
I do own the Adobe PhotoDeluxe Business Edition and the Adobe Photoshop 5.0
Adobe Photoshop is my preference for its vesatility and since I have it loaded with more plug-ins that I will ever use; but ready to engage fractal projects and so on.
On the other hand, the Adobe PhotoDeluxe is more user-friendly and more "transparent", obvious, with simpler commands, although with less versatility for complex projects.
Either of them will call on your twain driver to activate the scanner and should bring the image unto your program for you to manipulate.
Whichever you choose, you'll be fine.
At some point to read the manuals tends to help.
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberSat 28-Oct-00 02:16 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 1

Private, UM

Thanks for the info. Guess I'm impatient. Just assembled the new computer, printer and scanner and just had to scan something in. I ended up using Deluxe, you're right it is a lot easier than the other package. I did hit the wrong setting and almost scanned a photo in at 12800 x 12800, I noticed the file size was 45 gb and readjusted it for 200; kinda made a slight difference in the file size.
Amazing the differences in photos when viewed on this monitor versus the active matrix monitor on my laptop.
Talk to you later, now I have to figure out the transparency scanner and the printer.

Doug

Mikepoison Basic MemberSat 28-Oct-00 08:20 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 0

Amsterdam, NL

Photodeluxe is, as JRP pointed out, for photo-editing. But this is limited to small scale editing, to the extent that the home user can say "hmm. this is a nice picture, but a bit lighter would be good, or maybe turn it a few angles" Trying to, for instance, alter the color contrasts of a selected color range is actual hell in photodeluxe =)

Photoshop on the other hand (the normal version) is a full blown graphical editing program. it's very usefull to do all the things you want to conceivably do to an image, but it comes at a cost: you either learn how to use it by goofing off, or you read a book and practice it for a few weeks before you're fluent (enough) in it to work without having to undo too many things.

PS LE has all the things you basically need for editing, but it does miss rather crucial things like paths. the good news is: if you own the LE version, and you're registered it, you can get the 'real' version for an upgrade cost. version 6 has just hit the market, and it's a gem, I can assure you. interestingly, the price went down from PS5 to PS6, so the full version is now just $600 (instead of $999) and the upgrade from LE is something like $400, which is suddenly a -very- good price for such a powerfull package.

to compare Photoshop to it's LE version, visit
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/1c37a.htm

If you take great care in creating your pictures, I'd suggest: work in Photoshop LE, and when you run into the limitations, concider buying the fullblown version.

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberSat 28-Oct-00 12:30 PM
#4. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 3

Private, UM

For some reason, I can't seem to get the system to scan in from Photoshop LE, but I can scan in from Photodeluxe. Guess I'll spend some more time today and tomorrow messing with it. What I have done is scan in from Deluxe and then migrated the file into Photoshop LE, I just keep both open on the desktop (which is not really necessary, but quicker).
Unless it's Word, Excell, Outlook, Access (or some of our proprietary software at work), I guess I'm computer illiterate. I can explain how the electronics operate inside the gray box, but the software is confusing as heck.
Thanks for the information. I'll keep plugging along.

Doug

Mikepoison Basic MemberSat 28-Oct-00 12:43 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 4

Amsterdam, NL

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-00 AT 02:44 PM (GMT)

You should be able to scan with file-aquire-twain32

If this entry doesn't exist, make it happen by selecting file-aquire-select twain

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 29-Oct-00 11:31 PM
8589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photoshop Dummy....here"
In response to Reply # 0

Rock Hill, US

Photoshop LE is an incredible value even if you pay $100 for it . For most of us that will not be sending our files to a print shop, LE has everything we need. It seems there are certain CMYK limitations. The main reason I'm responding here is to suggest that the best way to start with LE is by goofing off. Scan in an image and go wild with the filters. It is a lot of fun and you learn a lot. Then go to Levels adjustments, brightness, hue and contrast, etc. and play with them. Then get yourself a basic Photoshop how-to book and learn the details and the methods behind these adjustments and filters. THEN spend the $400 on 6.0

George

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #28 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.