Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #25198
View in linear mode

Subject: "NX vs Lightroom processing example" Previous topic | Next topic
helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Wed 16-Jan-08 02:12 PM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"NX vs Lightroom processing example"

São Paulo, BR

Hi,

I´ve processed the same raw file in NX and in Lightroom, the NX version has a bit more constrast, but I can´t manage to get the same colors in Lightroom that I can get using IIIa mode in NX.

Look at the roofs, the NX´s version tends to red (wich I prefer) and
the LR version tends to orange (wich I don´t like much).

I played with vibrance, saturation and the individual color´s sliders without success.

Any ideas ?

First NX and then LR:

Helton

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example
michael1778 Silver Member
20th Feb 2007
helton
20th Feb 2007
sfbillm Silver Member
20th Feb 2007
helton
21st Feb 2007
BJNicholls Gold Member
21st Feb 2007
helton
21st Feb 2007
walkerr Administrator
22nd Feb 2007
helton
22nd Feb 2007
mdonovan Gold Member
22nd Feb 2007
jeffysam
05th Mar 2007
afulki
14th Mar 2007
walkerr Administrator
14th Mar 2007
jeffysam
14th Mar 2007
LATENTA
02nd Mar 2007
helton
05th Mar 2007

michael1778 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2006Tue 20-Feb-07 08:04 PM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 0

Clemmons, US

Interesting. Looking at them I think you can get the apparent contrast in LR in the same range as NX by crushing a few blacks. Slide the black point up a bit more in LR. Look at that black background sign witht he white script lettering. NX has no detail in that. All black. LR is preserving some shadow detail. Slide up the blacks and watch that disappear. After that I bet they will look very much the same in tone & contrast.

Now getting past my direct experience.....
To simulate the Nikon Mode III stuff, I suppose you could fool around with the HSL sliders in Lightroom. Try increasing both Red and Green Luminance? That's where I would try to work it, anyway.

Thanks for posting the comparison!

Best Regards,
Michael

D700 __ 16-35 f/4 VR __ 24-85 f/2.8-4 __ 50 f/1.4G __ Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro __ Tamron 70-300 VC
SB-800 __ SB-600
Lightroom 5

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Tue 20-Feb-07 08:21 PM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 1

São Paulo, BR

>Try increasing both Red and Green Luminance? That's where I
>would try to work it, anyway.

I´ll try that, let´s see what happens...

Thanks,

Helton

sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 20-Feb-07 11:53 PM
861 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 0

Santa Fe, US

>Look at the roofs, the NX´s version tends to red (which I
>prefer) and the LR version tends to orange (which I don´t like much).

Interesting comparison. Thanks.

A question: Which version is closer to the actual roof color(s)?

SantaFeBill

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Wed 21-Feb-07 09:37 AM
#4. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 3

São Paulo, BR

The actual roof color it´s a vanished mixture of red and brown, so I´d say that NX is closer, but it is bolder.

I can get a closer apperance using the D80´s Ia mode, in mode II the colors are muted as they are in Lightroom, although more redish.

I don´t think this is a LR fault, it´s only the color mode it uses (ProPhoto RGB), which is similar to Nikon mode II, the difference is that NX tends to red and LR tends to orange.

My goal is create a prereset that emulates Nikon IIIa mode, but I haven´t had much success so far. The closer I can get is using the "Direct Positive" prereset wich comes with LR.

Hope this helps,

Helton

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 21-Feb-07 06:53 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Converter question aside, is this shot through a chainlink fence? Curious about the pattern of fuzzy gray spots.

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Wed 21-Feb-07 10:17 PM
#6. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 5

São Paulo, BR

Yes, exactly. Good eye...

Helton

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Thu 22-Feb-07 01:04 AM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Try these camera calibration settings in Lightroom. They're not an exact match for Mode III, but they'll get you in the ballpark.

Red Hue: -25
Red Saturation: +35

Green Hue: 0
Green Satuation: +10

Blue Hue: +10
Blue Saturation: -25

Depending on which contrast setting you prefer in Capture or in-camera, you may need to adjust some of the other parameters as well. A "normal contrast" setting in NX is similar to a "strong" contrast curve and a contrast setting of around 30-35 in Lightroom. These settings work fine in ACR as well.

In practice, I have presets in Lightroom and ACR called Mode III Color, Mode II Color and Mode III Default. The first and second simply change the values on the camera calibration tab, with the Mode III one using the values I just mentioned, and the Mode II reflecting zeroed settings. Those enable me to quickly change between two different color palettes. The Mode III Default setting incorporates color mode, tone curve and contrast values and gives me the equivalent of Mode III and a normal contrast curve. It replicates a combination I use frequently with Capture.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Thu 22-Feb-07 09:07 AM
#8. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 7

São Paulo, BR

Thanks Rick,

I´ll try these settings soon, I have a few dozens of images to process.

Helton

mdonovan Gold Member Charter MemberThu 22-Feb-07 11:17 AM
321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 8

Mahwah, US

Being a new Lightroom owner i am definitely interested in the outcome of your tests.

I would rather not have to preprocess all my images in NX before organizing and editing in LR.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - A. Einstein

jeffysam Registered since 21st Dec 2006Mon 05-Mar-07 08:46 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Rick,

Do you have a set of similar preset values to simulate the sRGB Ia mode?

If so, would you mind sharing them?

thanks,

jeff

afulki Registered since 04th Jan 2006Wed 14-Mar-07 06:10 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 7

New York City, US

Thank you for those settings, I set them as presets and apply during import, the photos look great.

Do you have something similar for Mode 1a too?

Gary

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 14-Mar-07 07:25 PM
14557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 13

Colorado Springs, US

Thanks. No, I don't. I've played around a little with it, but haven't replicated it so far. I have something that's close, but the real Ia in NX gives slightly rosier skin tones for subjects with light colored skin. I may post those settings later in case anyone wants to experiment with them and refine them.

Incidentally, the latest version of the Mode III preset I'm using (it's really III rather than IIIa although the differences aren't huge) has a slightly different red saturation value: 50 rather than the previous 35. This seems a little closer in my opinion, but if you like what the other is giving you, that's all that counts. There's nothing magic about exactly replicating the Nikon color modes; there's a very broad range of color palettes that can look good in photos.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

jeffysam Registered since 21st Dec 2006Wed 14-Mar-07 09:55 PM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thanks, Rick!

jeff

LATENTA Registered since 21st Feb 2007Fri 02-Mar-07 07:56 PM
1153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Wow! That is a very large grain terminal in the background.
Where is it located?

I had a darkroom. Now I have a PC. PC smells better.

helton Registered since 30th Jul 2007Mon 05-Mar-07 10:20 AM
#11. "RE: NX vs Lightroom processing example"
In response to Reply # 10

São Paulo, BR

>Wow! That is a very large grain terminal in the background.
>Where is it located?

It´s located in the city of São Paulo, Brazil. It´s a somewhat degraded but nice to take pics area, the government has plans to revitalize this area somehow...

Helton

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #25198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.