Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #188
View in linear mode

Subject: "color on b/w photo" Previous topic | Next topic
mimiya Registered since 13th Feb 2003Wed 11-Jul-01 04:06 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"color on b/w photo"

I have a color photo I have scanned in and converted to b/w. I want to select a portion of the color version and place it on the b/w but I can't seem to do it. Any help?? Also, I have cropped the picture into an oval, how would I make the edge have a dropped shadow? Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Lefty Basic MemberThu 12-Jul-01 04:31 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "color on, or in b&w"
In response to Reply # 0

Virginia Beach, US

Hello Mimiya-
Which program are you using to enhance/tweak your photos? One way that I (in either Photoshop OR PhotoDeluxe) get a partial color subject amongst a B&W image is to 'Select' say, a small fishing village...whether you trace around it or use the magic wand to capture it; then 'Invert' the selection (so that everything BUT my subject is selected). Once that's done, I desaturate the image till it's B&W--leaving the subject (village) color.
http://members5.clubphoto.com/chris388274/Travel/photo10.jpg
I'm still in the Digital Stoneage using Photoshop© 3.0.5...I'll be upgrading to 5.5 soon though. I couldn't tell you exactly the best way to get a dropped shadow, I too, am curious about that! PhotoDeluxe allows you to do that simply, but I was not at all impressed with it. Perhaps I was doing it wrong, I don't know.

Hope that helps a li'l
If I misunderstood your question, let me know and we'll try to get you back on track!
Cheers

"Shoot pictures and enjoy life in between!"
Chris (Lefty) Taylor

Cheers,
Chris

(Lefty)color="white"]
Taylor
You're
only as good as your last
shot!

Mikepoison Basic MemberWed 18-Jul-01 11:59 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: color on, or in b&w"
In response to Reply # 1

Amsterdam, NL

Mimiya,

Also an option is to duplicate the layer, and desaturate the copy (the one on top) then to gently erase the area that you want in color, as that will expose the colored layer underneath.

this offers a slight bit more control than using masks, as you can retouch and undo with a bit more accuracy.

about the oval cropping.. oval crops are often quite hard to work with, unless you're willing to work with an image cropped on transparency instead of a colored (often black) background. You could add a dropshadow, or you can fade the edges to the background color by selecting the background color (with either the magic wand, or with with a low fuzzyness if it's a color not used in the rest of the image), growing the mask a slight bit, and then applying a gaussian or for a more accurate (those that takes a few times to get the right one) radial zoom blur.

Chris: on the upgrading issue, I advise you to forgo 5.5 and get into 6 right away. it offers so much more in terms of editing capability that you'd be denying yourself a world of additionals if you didn't get it instead of 5.5 =)

Mike K.

"The world will not be quantified on celluloid... But I'll be damned if I don't try!"

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberWed 18-Jul-01 07:42 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: color on b/w photo"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

If you're trying to cut a color piece and paste it into a greyscale converted image file, the pasted object will be converted to greyscale as well.

The solution is to set your greyscale image back to RGB or CMYK colorspace so that the image type can support color layers. The base image will stay greyscale since the image lost color content but the file will now allow you to have full color, not just a palette of greys.

Let me know what software you're using and I'll try to give you an easy drop shadow procedure...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.