Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #181
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?" Previous topic | Next topic
CharlesYVR Basic MemberFri 22-Jun-01 06:09 AM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"

Vancouver, CA

The negative of this picture has a scratch at the bottom right hand corner and it shows up in my scans. I haven't figured out an easy way to use PhotoShop to get rid of the scrach. Can anyone help me?

http://members.home.net/ctsai2000/pics/malaymed.jpg

Charles
Vancouver, BC
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=128765

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
22nd Jun 2001
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Jun 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources
29th Jun 2001
Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Jun 2001
CharlesYVR
29th Jun 2001
30th Jun 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 22-Jun-01 07:22 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

This one's easily done with the cloning (stamp) tool. Zoom in close on the scratch and use a brush size that's just a little larger than the scratch is wide. You then ALT+click in the image area next to the scratch and the paint over the scratch with the stamp tool. Use the aligned mode for the cloning stamp and ALT+click a new source spot when the cloning isn't lining up well with details like angles of the wave shadows.

Don't use too large a brush. Create a new one if necessary. Get comfortable doing the ALT+click to pick the best source for cloning. When you're using the aligned mode, the distance and angle from your source location to your tool center remains the same until you pick a new source. Change the source and angle as often as necessary and clone from either side of the scratch as needed.

It took me about 20 seconds to clean the scratch from this low res image. On your high res scan it will take a couple of minutes to do it well.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberFri 29-Jun-01 01:22 PM
2479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

I usually use a different method of dealing with scratches. I copy the original layer. I then go to the background layer and apply Filter>Noise>Remove Dust and Scratches. This gives a soft look to the bakground, which you can then get rid of by merging the copy with the background with the blending mode changed to Darken. When the sharp upper picture merges with the soft background, only the pixels that have been darkened by the filter will show through. Martin Evening shows a similar technique in "Adobe Photoshop 6.0 for Photograpers" on p. 226, using the history brush rather than duplicating layers.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 29-Jun-01 03:01 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

This is a fast technique and may be helpful if you have a lot of dust and/or scratches to remove from an image, but since the remove dust & scratches filter works by blurring, the technique will cause some softening of the image even though the blur is only applied to pixels that can be darkened. The wider the scratch you want to eliminate, the greater the blur you'll need to use. Dark dirt and scratches won't be fixed by this technique.

I reserve this kind of treatment for just a few dirty images. I find it's worth the time for most images to hand-spot a few dust flecks or scratches rather than soften the whole scan with broad techniques. Photoshop can't tell a dust fleck from a white water droplet or highlight, so some images can have significant detail lost via dust and noise elimination tricks.

In addition to "roll-your-own" techniques, there are plugin filters that can automate retouching to some extent. You can also turn a technique you use often into an action script.

The best automated cleaning software like Digital ICE uses information from an infrared channel that is built into some scanners (mostly Nikon). The IR channel lets the software fix real blemishes without taking out image detail that falls within the definition of a dust or scratch to more mindless correction methods.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Obregon Moderator Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberFri 29-Jun-01 03:44 PM
2479 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 3

New York City, US

All good suggestions.

If you're worried about other spots in the image, make a selection around the scratch before applying the filter.

Dark spots can be removed using the lighten blending mode.

Of course we should use the technique that's best suited to the image we're dealing with. One of the nice things about Photoshop is that it's easy enough to try several techniques and then pick the one that does the best job.

CharlesYVR Basic MemberFri 29-Jun-01 11:35 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 4

Vancouver, CA

I used the clone/stamp tool to fix the scratch. Thanks for all the suggestions. Here it is...

http://members.home.net/ctsai2000/pics/malayhigh2.jpg

Charles
Vancouver, BC
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=128765

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 30-Jun-01 10:09 PM
#6. "RE: How do I fix the scratch on this scanned image?"
In response to Reply # 5

Salt Lake City, US

Nicely done.

Generalized scratch removal would probably have removed the fishing pole ends that are next to the guy with the hat. The white foam flecks and small highlights on the stairs would also be at risk. Someone just starting with Photoshop should get comfortable with the basic tools like the clone stamp and then it will be easier tackle the more advanced techniques described above.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #181 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.