Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #17562
View in linear mode

Subject: "Capture NX hits the Streets..." Previous topic | Next topic
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 28-Jul-06 07:52 PM
10762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Capture NX hits the Streets..."

US

Please see our news item.

On a personal note, this editor has already ordered his copy.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Capture NX hits the Streets...
IrishMike
28th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
28th Jul 2006
IrishMike
28th Jul 2006
robb
28th Jul 2006
JustBob
28th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
29th Jul 2006
leebaylin Silver Member
29th Jul 2006
jim_h
29th Jul 2006
leebaylin Silver Member
29th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
29th Jul 2006
jim_h
29th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
29th Jul 2006
LMMiller9 Silver Member
29th Jul 2006
jim_h
29th Jul 2006
robb
29th Jul 2006
leebaylin Silver Member
29th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
30th Jul 2006
LMMiller9 Silver Member
30th Jul 2006
Covey22 Moderator
30th Jul 2006
LMMiller9 Silver Member
30th Jul 2006

IrishMike Registered since 07th Nov 2005Fri 28-Jul-06 07:54 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 0

King of Prussia (near Philadel, US

Any news on the Capture 4.4 upgrade to NX?

Mike

“Never argue with a fool, the people around you cannot tell the difference.” Anonymous

“Never argue with a fool, the people around you cannot tell the difference.” Anonymous

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 28-Jul-06 08:10 PM
10762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Mike,

Ask and ye shall receive. David Dentry, General Support Manager of Nikon, as well as Michael Rubin of the NX development team, have set up shop for a while now at "D1sscussion" - the mailing list. See this thread (scroll to top) for reassurances on your upgrade path as well as steps you can take to get your current C4.4 key registered on Nikon; which will play a key part in getting the upgrade.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

IrishMike Registered since 07th Nov 2005Fri 28-Jul-06 08:15 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 2

King of Prussia (near Philadel, US

Armando,

You're the man!

Thanks
Mike

robb Basic MemberFri 28-Jul-06 09:07 PM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 2

Central Valley, CA, US

Armando,

That link goes to a login screen... for those of us who dont use that forum, is there anywhere else we can find out what the upgrade path/policy is?

Best Regards,
Rob

http://www.robbohningphotography.com
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. -- Psalm 19:1

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JustBob Registered since 19th Sep 2004Fri 28-Jul-06 10:09 PM
111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 2

Chadds Ford, US

I clicked on the link, but you have to be a member to access it. Am I missing something.

JustBob

www.justbobimages.com

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 02:02 PM
#6. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 5

US

Sorry folks - couldn't respond sooner, there was a line of t-storms passing over the region last night and I've taken surge hits over my powerlines and broadband cables in the past that's made me paranoid. When I see a solid black line of clouds headed my way at 20kts, everything in my computer room gets powered down and unplugged. An evening without Internet access is cheaper than replacing all of my equipment.

Okay - I'm a member and I can read it, but I can't really cut & paste from the List as it's poor form and we try to keep a decent relationship with our peers. So I'll try to summarize some of the pertinent points (note the content is from the comments of David Dentry, not mine):

1. Nikon USA will be selling Capture NX upgrades very soon and it will be *before* the 30-day trial is over (assuming you didn't try to play games with your system time which some people have and inadvertently ended their trial *much* sooner than they expected )

2. Sales of the Capture NX upgrade will be conducted through Nikon Mall. Eventually they will also offer the full version. Note this applies only to Nikon USA. If you're from another region in the world, the policy and sales channel will vary, so check with the local subsidiary or reseller.

3. Current Capture 4.4 owners wanting to upgrade should go and register an account on the Nikon USA support site. Once you've registered, log back into the site using your new account. Click on the "My Stuff" tab and then click on Account Profile towards the bottom. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you'll see an area to register both your Nikon hardware and software. Register your current Capture 4.4 program. In the field that reads "Serial Number/License Key/Unlock Code:" enter the letter or letter-number combo that came with or unlocks/activates your Capture software.

Okay, now there are my (Armando's) comments - Judging from discussion in other forums around the 'Net, there will be a linkage between your registration in the Nikon support site and Nikon Mall which will qualify you for the NX upgrade. Hope this helps.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 02:15 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 6

Baltimore, US

Do you know if the upgrade will get you a hard copy on the user's manual? I find the PDF version impossible to use, and with color, will cost about $25 to print out.

Lee Baylin

jim_h Registered since 11th Jul 2006Sat 29-Jul-06 04:14 PM
244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 7

Minneapolis, US

Editorial comment: PDF is the most unuseable format for exchange of information ever devised by the mind of man.

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 11:53 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 9

Baltimore, US

I wouldn't be that harsh. It sure beats scratching on wet clay with a stick, and it is hard to beat for speed. It just doesn't work for text book like documents of the length of the NX manual.

Lee Baylin

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 05:41 PM
#11. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

Unknown on the manual. That's a good question to ask Nikon. In fact, when you register on the Support site, you can submit questions to Nikon (and track them inside the Support portal), they turn around responses fairly quickly...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jim_h Registered since 11th Jul 2006Sat 29-Jul-06 04:13 PM
244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 6

Minneapolis, US

What about those of us who don't have 4.x but downloaded the trial version of NX - how do we get the key? Only 8 days left...

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 05:39 PM
#10. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 8

US

What about those of us who don't have 4.x but downloaded the trial version of NX - how do we get the key? Only 8 days left...

I'm a trial user as well. I decided to buy the full version to make my life easier. Eventually, it's likely that they'll make the key purchase available on-line at Nikon Mall, but I'm one of those tyros who like to have the software box in my hands.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005Sat 29-Jul-06 06:14 PM
1108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Am I just a dummy?

I downloaded the trial version of NX a good while ago, must be getting near a month. I like it. So, I want to purchase the product key. But, when I click on "Purchase PRoduct Key" it takes me to Nikon Mall which has no mention of Capture NX.

Is it me, or do they just not have their act together yet?
Am I going to be timed out before the get the purchase process together?

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D800
http://www.pbase.com/lmmiller9
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

jim_h Registered since 11th Jul 2006Sat 29-Jul-06 06:51 PM
#13. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 12

Minneapolis, US

No it's not just you - I just did the same thing. And if I end up with a dead copy of NX while I'm waiting for a CD, I'm not going to be happy, since I've already edited quite a few files with NX.

The question I have is - is this just-released retail version identical to the 'trial' or does it contain bug fixes and/or additional features? If so maybe it makes sense to forget about the trial version and buy the release.

But if Nikon wanted to be nice about it, they'd have a downloadable update for the 'trial' and would sell me a key on-line.

robb Basic MemberSat 29-Jul-06 09:09 PM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 12

Central Valley, CA, US

>Am I just a dummy?
>

Don't know many dummies in Annapolis... You are right, they don't have their act together. When we need to rely on one of our moderators to give us "special members-only" info from some other password-protected website on what the Nikon upgrade policy is, that speaks for itself. If they were serious and cared, their policies would have been posted long ago on the Nikon mall site...

Especially with the 'delay' of NX from May to July, there is no excuse for leaving customers in the dark.

Best Regards,
Rob

http://www.robbohningphotography.com
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. -- Psalm 19:1

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberSat 29-Jul-06 11:57 PM
#16. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 14

Baltimore, US

"Don't know many dummies in Annapolis... "

Come now, Annapolis is where our state legislature meets.

Lee Baylin

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 30-Jul-06 12:34 AM
#17. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."

US

To be fair guys, it's not a password protected site. "D1sscussion" has been in business since the days of the D1 classic being released. It was one of the first really informative forums I signed up for when I switched to digital SLRs (Nikonians being first, of course). You too can easily sign up and see the thread for yourself. I'm just passing along what I know.

I'm not going to apologize for Nikon, they have enough folks doing rah-rah work for them out there. All I can tell you is that it seems likely that they're pushing out all available box copies to known retailers first. That's actually a better plan than trying to service *everyone* out of Nikon Mall or your regional subsidiary. Everyone knows what it's like when a new product hits the streets - low availability, high demand. Nikon Mall is not built to sustain the kind of volume or sales support that the popular retailers have - especially with a likely sell-out item like NX. Hence, when I saw it was available on B&H, I bought it there first.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005Sun 30-Jul-06 01:08 AM
1108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 17

Potomac, US

But, what doesn't make sense is that they seemed to provide a full function download of the entire software package and every time you open it up it asks if you want to buy the product key. That would certainly lead one to believe that you could, in fact, sooner or later, buy the product key on line.

I notice that I have 8 more days to go before it becomes inactive. So...I hope in the next 8 days they reveal the Word to us. If not, it will be very annoying.

Cheers

DF/D800

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 30-Jul-06 03:03 PM
#20. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."
In response to Reply # 18

US

I can appreciate that. It's likely I'll not get my boxed copy either until my trial NX installation expires (unless B&H gives me expedited shiping for free ). I'm sure they'll be offering the product key online, like they do for C4.4 now. It may be *after* the initial box products are in the hands of retailers though...

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005Sun 30-Jul-06 01:10 AM
#19. "RE: Capture NX hits the Streets..."

Potomac, US

Well, that is a relief. I would hate to be the only dummy in Annapolis. Actually, I am quite confident that there are a plethora of other dummies to keep me company here. But, I may be the only dummy with a D200 and Nikon Capture NX.

DF/D800

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #17562 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.