Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Photoshop Elements Adobe RAW versus Nikon NEF plug-in

Lake Oswego, US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
capdekD70 Registered since 16th Jan 2005
Mon 15-May-06 08:21 AM

I have recently purchased Photoshop Elements 4.0. I have been using Nikon Capture and Nikon View up to now. When I open my NEF files in Elements, the colors are noticably duller and less vibrant when compared to how they appear in Nikon View or Capture. I decided to try the Nikon NEF plug-in for Elements, and my images now appear much better when opened with Elements. However, I think I may have lost some functionality in Elements by going to the Nikon NEF plug-in. Does using the Nikon NEF plug-in "hamstring" Elements in some way?

More generally, it seems people prefer to use the Adobe RAW plug-in over the Nikon NEF plug-in. For example, I've noticed a number of threads where people complain about Capture overwriting the Adobe RAW plug-in with the Nikon NEF plug-in when they install Capture on a system with an existing Photoshop installation. Is it better to keep the Adobe RAW plug-in when working with Elements even though the original NEF's appear dull and flat, or is it better to use the Nikon NEF plug-in? Or maybe the preferred way to go is to do all NEF processing with Capture and then save to some other format (like TIFF) for importation into Elements?

I'm really not sure what the optimal solution is for handling NEF's, so I'm hoping to get some good advice from those who have worked with both Photoshop and Capture as to what choice to make. I really like the tons of features you get with Elements, so I would like to make this my default workflow tool, but only if I can start with a NEF that is more color representative of what was actually captured by the camera.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice everyone.

Dave K.

Dave K