nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #125
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photoshop Print Security" Previous topic | Next topic
kaszubpr Silver Member Charter MemberSun 01-Apr-01 09:10 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photoshop Print Security"

Wyoming, US

I just attended my son's soccer tournament and I took some pictures at another event on the same grounds. I was asked to send a copy to the owner if it turned out. I would like to send a proof via email. I have never tried to sell a photo yet and I have no idea:
1) How to imprint the copyright symbol with my name
2) Do I reduce the quality of the .jpg image or do I write "proof" over the image

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 02-Apr-01 03:23 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photoshop Print Security"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

With jpeg images sized for email in Photoshop, you'll need to simply use the type tool to place the text you want on the image.

Size the image first for email. If you make it no more than 400 pixels in either dimension, it will still be useful as a proof but won't make a very good print.

Now type in the text you want. Remember that the © symbol can be entered on a PC by holding down alt and typing 0169. You'll need to flatten the image layers to save it as a jpeg. Choose a text color that will be visible where you're locating the text.

Whether you do something more extreme to protect an image depends on how much you distrust the person receiving the file. Since you at least have the name of the party you're sending to, I wouldn't mess up the proof image too much - after all, you want them to be excited by the image and buy a nice print from you.

Best luck,

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

kaszubpr Silver Member Charter MemberMon 02-Apr-01 11:13 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photoshop Print Security"
In response to Reply # 1

Wyoming, US

BJ - Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I needed.

Paul

Kelvin UK Basic MemberFri 06-Jul-01 05:37 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photoshop Print Security"
In response to Reply # 0

If you use photoshop, another option is to use the digimarc plug-in. Apparently a digital watermark is embedded within the image that is robust enough to withstand printing and re-scanning.

Point your browser to www.digimarc.com

Friends of mine swear by it but I haven't tried it as it's a bit pricey. Photoshop (later versions - but I don't know about LE or Elements) comes with a limited version as standard. I'm not sure if Paint Shop Pro will accept the plug-in but you can download a trial version to try.

I hope this extra option is of help - after all, your son's footy match could one day become famous!

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 06-Jul-01 07:39 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photoshop Print Security"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

The problem with Digimarc is that it only helps you prove a copyright violation, it doesn't provide visible copyright notice on the image and you won't see a pop up window unless you're using a Digimark enabled program (like Photoshop) and a compatible file format.

The digimark data may hold up to printing and re-scanning at full resolution, but it won't hold up to radical downsampling like you would do to make a web size file from a high res scan.

Digimarc is definitely worth the effort if you provide highres images for stock photo use.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #125 Previous topic | Next topic