Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #988
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for the best P&S" Previous topic | Next topic
Arturo Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 01:50 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Looking for the best P&S"

Santiago, CL

Where is the #@%%#$ button in this camera !!!
Why is this light blinking ???
I would need a month working out to use your #@$%% camera !!

Has anybody heard something like this ?? I do.
I decided to buy a P&S camera for the rest of my family. They absolutely denied the option of learning to use mine ( I wouldn´t allow them either) but they still want to take some pictures.

Futhemore, I never show up in any. I´m a kind of ghost reporting the growth of my family.

But I suddenly realized that a fine P&S camera would be very usefull for my bussines travel too. Therefore quality, portability, simplicity and advanced features are the key issues. I also understand (and might be wrong) that APS cameras are a very good option, but APS films aren´t as good as 35mm, and this is a serious disadvantage.

I would appreciate any help on this quest, any suggestion ??

Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Looking for the best P&S
BJNicholls Gold Member
13th Feb 2001
Arturo
13th Feb 2001
jwb
13th Feb 2001
Arturo
13th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
13th Feb 2001
Paco
13th Feb 2001
jwb
13th Feb 2001
Arturo
14th Feb 2001
jrp Administrator
14th Feb 2001
Arturo
15th Feb 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Feb-01 02:43 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

For a serious photographer, 35mm is the format of choice. However, you may want to consider a digital camera for the "rest of the family" to use. The newest models have very easy point-and-shoot modes, but have the distinct advantage of letting an amateur see their shot immediately after taking it. It's very helpful to see errors in composition, exposure, expression, flash use, etc. Plus nobody feels guilty deleting bad files and shooting over.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Arturo Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 04:01 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 1

Santiago, CL

I agree with you BJ. For the rest of the bunch, going digital seems to be a wise option.

But, what about the "serious photographer". I really can´t take my gear with me when I am traveling for bussiness (can I??).

It doesn´t look very neat arriving to a formal meeting with a board, carrying my camera, a couple of lenses, filters, flash, all fitted in my backpack. Not to mention the tripod as the final decoration.

But, I love photograpy so I really regret when I can´t take pictures when I am traveling. So far I am not going digital, for I would rather master the 35mm before.

Any idea ??
Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

jwb Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 04:41 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Jorge,

There are some very good P&S cameras out there. What basically distinguishes the good ones from the common ones are the quality of the optics. Leica makes a couple nice ones (CL, Minilux, and Minilux Zoom), there's the Nikon 35ti, Yashica T4 Super, and Contax just came out with a new T3. Expect to pay $700 - $1000 for these quality P&S models new. You can find several of them on eBay in near mint condition for a little over $400. I think this is the route I'm going to go.

Hop over to the "Non-nikon products" discussion forum, under "Other systems". Some of your fellow Nikonians were discussing this last week. The discussion thread to look for is titled "Leica:Minilux Zoom Point & Shoot". This will give you some more food for thought.

Have fun,
Jeff

Arturo Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 05:16 PM
#4. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 3

Santiago, CL

Already jumping
Thanks Jeff
Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Feb-01 05:46 PM
34206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 4

San Pedro Garza García, MX

If, however, you decide the options mentioned above are a bit expensive, you can go the Nikon route with the Lite-Touch Zoom 120ED 38-120mm Auto Focus 35mm Point & Shoot Camera, with ED glass, selling for about US$190; or (please forgive me fellow Nikonians) with a less modest alternative: the Olympus LT Zoom 105 38-105mm Auto Focus 35mm Point & Shoot (Burgundy) Camera Date that I have used extensively with very good results and sells for about US$250.
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Paco Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 06:55 PM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 5

Houston, US

Arturo,

It may not be "the Best" 35mm Point & Shoot, but I've been using the previous model Pentax 928 Zoom with ISO 400 Fuji print film. I've had consistently good results. The camera offers you a number of selectable controls if and when you want to use them. What I particularly like about this unit is having a wider 28mm focal length available when I need it. Very few P&S cameras have lenses zooming wider than 32-35mm.

I've carried this camera in my motorcycle tank bag for thousands of miles and it has never failed me. Once I dropped it into a stream in Oak Creek Canyon, AZ, and Pentax only charged $60 to clean it up and replace the electronics.

I've read on the internet that the current model of 928 Zoom may not be as desireable as the older model I have, but to that I cannot attest.

Anyway, have Phun with Photography!

Paco
A Charter Nikonian in Houston, Texas USA

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jwb Basic MemberTue 13-Feb-01 08:49 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Arturo,

I'm glad Paco and JRP stepped in here and mentioned the cameras they did. I should not have assumed that the higher-end models I mentioned were what you were looking for. They were a topic of discussion here earlier in the week and I think I kind of wound up with tunnel vision. Hope you ultimately find what fits your needs.

Jeff

Arturo Basic MemberWed 14-Feb-01 12:36 AM
#8. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 7

Santiago, CL

Don`t worry Jeff. Your suggestions opened a route I didn`t suspect exists. So I`ll keep researching that path.

Nevertheless, what José Ramón says makes me a lot of sense, thinking on wife and kids using any expensive state of the art optics. Taking this into the equation, it might be a good idea looking for a cheaper P&S focused mainly on them (and still a choice for me) and if this really works, going for those nice Leica´s.

It remains the question about the film. Paco´s experience with a 400 Fuji has been very succesfull. Is there a special suggestion about them regardind the P&S. If they had slower lenses it is reasonable to choose faster films ??

Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 14-Feb-01 01:12 AM
34206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 8

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Jorge:
You are right. Never use anything below ISO 400 due to th slow optics.
But these beauties can turn pictures like this without any effort. My daughter would not like to hear that since she took this shot of her brother, a recent summer in Puerto Vallarta, with her Olympus LT and the tiny but powerful built-in fill-in flash.

Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Arturo Basic MemberThu 15-Feb-01 12:10 PM
#10. "RE: Looking for the best P&S"
In response to Reply # 0

Santiago, CL

I´ve been doing some research and found a couple of P&S that looks nice. Therefore I am putting them into the Nikonian arena for beeing separate into little pieces and carefully analized

I am talking about the Pentax IQZoom 928M 28-90 f/4.8-11 and the Olympus Stylus Zoom 80 Wide DLX 28-80 f/4.5-8.4. They both are one of the very few P&S cameras I found with a kind of landscape+portrait aproach. I coudn´t find any Nikon in this category. The Nikon Lite-Touch Zoom 120ED is the closest one, but the difference between a 28mm and a 35mm is under my point of view, greater/more perceptible than the one between the 90mm and the 120mm.

Has anybody had experience with some of them, or hear about them ?? Or even have a better idea at all ??

Jorge(Chile)

Jorge
Posting from Chile
Planet’s edge

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #988 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.