Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #93476
View in linear mode

Subject: "A stack of history...." Previous topic | Next topic
billg71 Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Aug 2006Fri 07-Mar-14 12:27 AM
1169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A stack of history...."
Fri 07-Mar-14 12:35 AM by billg71

Acworth, US

I'm sitting here at the computer and was looking at a stack of old CF cards that have somehow come to rest under the second monitor. I thought about posting them in the I Want to Sell forum for postage, picked them up and started looking at them. I date my cards when I buy them so I have an idea of their age, and the dates brought back some memories.

All are SanDisk Extreme cards of whatever version was current at the time. The first card I ever owned is gone, donated it with the D70 to a non-profit organization in Texas that provided a home for big cats. I think it was a 2G, don't remember the brand. Here's a list of the survivors:

First is dated 1/10/07, a 4G Extreme III. The first card I bought to go with my new D200. What an upgrade from the D70, took some practice with hand holding technique to get decent results.

Two more Extreme III 4G arrived on 3/19/07, about the time I figured out I could fill up one 4G card and still want to shoot.

On 11/30/07 I went all in with an 8G Extreme III to accompany my new D300 which I bought at a local dealer the Monday after Thanksgiving. The only one left in Atlanta, a pre-order that didn't get picked up.

In March, 2009 I bought my second 8G card, an Extreme IV rated at 45 MB/sec. Don't remember any special occasion, maybe I just wanted another 8G card, probably it was for my second wildflower season. Got some great pictures at the Pocket that Spring. In April the wife and I had a long weekend at Callaway Gardens, more flowers and some butterflies.

Then in August, 2011 I added two more 8G cards simply labeled as Extreme, rated at 60MB/sec. I remember why I bought these, they were for my first Yellowstone trip. Great trip, I drove out and spent 3 weeks away, trip of a lifetime. Covered the Badlands, Yellowstone, the Tetons, Craters of the Moon and some time in Idaho around Ketchum: Hemingway's grave and some fantastic fishing!

I bought the D800 for my second Yellowstone trip in August, 2012, used the Extreme 8s on that one as well. Then I switched to the Lexar 16G cards which are still in the bag so they don't really count for this trip down memory lane....

Five years more or less of my personal photographic history in a 2-1/8" high stack including the cases. Wow, the memories.

So I just now stacked them up and put them back under the monitor. Maybe one of these days I'll cut a multi-window mat and frame them.

But picking them up and remembering when and where they came to be used was an interesting and refreshing trip down Memory Lane, a "back to your roots" kind of thing.

Now I want to go out and fill up some more cards with memories!

Any other sentimentalists out there?

Best,
Bill

Georgia Nature Photographers Association

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #93476 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.