nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #93244
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D4S unveiled" Previous topic | Next topic
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Tue 25-Feb-14 05:21 AM
4005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D4S unveiled"

Havelock, US

It's official. The Nikon D4S should be available in early March.
Check our latest Nikonians News Blog for the full Press Release and a link to a Nikon D4 / D4S comparison chart:

http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2014/02/nikon_d4s_unveiled.html

We'll be looking to this discussion thread for Nikonians reaction to that comparison-- so fire away.
---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D4S unveiled
spiritualized67 Silver Member
25th Feb 2014
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
25th Feb 2014
spiritualized67 Silver Member
26th Feb 2014
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
26th Feb 2014
FredB D3 Silver Member
25th Feb 2014
msullivan09 Silver Member
26th Feb 2014

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 25-Feb-14 04:45 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 25-Feb-14 04:53 PM by spiritualized67

Western PA, US

As a prior D4 owner (now into a D800e for my landscape work), I'm not impressed. It's a glorified firmware update masked as a new product launch. And even more surprising is the substantial cost increase.

Make no mistake, any incremental increase to AF system, speed and IQ capability is always a welcome addition (as is better battery, small raw feature, etc.), especially for sports, wildlife and PJ shooters - so it's not without some merit.

Frankly, I view it as a luke-warm interim release to buy Nikon Product Developers more time while trying to appease the pro market (but aren't all "s" versions sort of the same way). Had it been 24MP with better IQ (along with all the new D4s features like AF/speed enhancements) in a smaller footprint I probably would have been more enthralled.

It's certainly not a revolutionary change. And it's just skimming the surface of evolutionary IMHO. In this case, "s" stands for subtle, slight or small. But then again, every release doesn't have to be epic. Not much of a change for current D4 owners, but maybe worth it for D3s owners. My .02

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 25-Feb-14 11:06 PM
6855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 1

Philadelphia, US

Dan, Nikon is calling the camera, "evolutionary," not "revolutionary," which is a pretty close description. I agree it's a lot of extra cash for an incremental change.

By the way, for those interested, the big discussion on the D4S is in the Nikon D4/D3/D2/D1 forum at:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=82866&mesg_id=82866&page=

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Wed 26-Feb-14 02:50 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 3

Western PA, US

Thanks, Ned. Saw the big post over in the D4 forum - appreciate your letting me know.

~Dan

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 26-Feb-14 03:04 PM
6855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

My pleasure Dan.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Tue 25-Feb-14 08:08 PM
913 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

As I posted on the Facebook announcement, while the D4S may be the new flagship from Nikon, it is an upgrade to the D4. If this were the next generation, it should be called the D5. Calling it the next generation is overstating what the camera really is!

Fred
Maryland, USA

msullivan09 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2009Wed 26-Feb-14 03:18 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon D4S unveiled"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Some one said it on another forum and I agree. If you have a D3s this would be something you might bite on.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sully2012/

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #93244 Previous topic | Next topic