Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89530
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles" Previous topic | Next topic
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Fri 26-Jul-13 01:27 AM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"

Bailey, US

Hello. I live in Colorado, USA and frequently visit the galleries in small mountain towns. Many of the local photographers sell what looks like a metallic print mounted on a 12 x 12 inch slate tile. Do you know where I can order some of my photos mounted in that way? Thank you ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles
PSAGuy Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
kennoll Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
kennoll Gold Member
26th Jul 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
28th Jul 2013
RiverWader Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
elcee Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
28th Jul 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator
29th Jul 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
29th Jul 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
rectangularimage Silver Member
03rd Aug 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
dm1dave Administrator
09th Aug 2013
dm1dave Administrator
08th Aug 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
08th Aug 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
09th Aug 2013
jbloom Gold Member
09th Aug 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
10th Aug 2013
dm1dave Administrator
10th Aug 2013

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Fri 26-Jul-13 01:31 AM
895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

Sounds cool....wish I could see it. Hope someone can shed light on how it's done.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 26-Jul-13 03:46 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Can you contact the galleries? Perhaps you can, through the gallery, get hooked up with the photographer(s). Or, the galleries know of the process.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Fri 26-Jul-13 03:50 PM
484 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 2

Bailey, US

Yes, just did that and got help from yet another helpful photographer. The photographers are doing that themselves and there is no, at present, off site business offering the service. Here is a link to How to do it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_11402444_mount-photo-slate.html

I see these tiles for sale here at $45 each and tourists are buying them as ready to mount or display gifts.

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 26-Jul-13 03:59 PM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 3

Seattle, US

That's great! Looks interesting, may have to try it.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Sun 28-Jul-13 01:45 PM
3043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 28-Jul-13 01:48 PM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

If you use ordinary craft glue, the decoupage finish will eventually yellow and discolor.

I found one article that recommended something called Lascaux Fixativ, the author claimed it had not yellowed in 20 years.

I have seen several articles on transferring to wood. The photo image is basically dissolved in an acrylic gel and then the paper is peeled off. It would probably work just as well on slate as on wood.

This is one of the best articles I found, from Digital Photography School:

How to Transfer Prints to Wood

I think this would give some very interesting results, especially if you used a B/W or sepia toned image. Since the paper is actually removed, the color of the mounting material will come through. You would likely need a light-colored slate. It will give a very different result than just decoupaging the intact print on the mounting material.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

RiverWader Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2010Fri 26-Jul-13 04:45 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Gardner, US

Sounds like an interesting presentation. Almost like decoupage.

-Pat

elcee Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2005Fri 26-Jul-13 06:39 PM
6296 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 5

Albuquerque, US

Gary, I looked online but could not find the site I've seen in photo magazines, ads for sites
who do mount prints (metallic, I think I'm remembering correctly) on tile or stone.

~LarryC (eLCee)

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Sun 28-Jul-13 04:12 PM
#8. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 28-Jul-13 08:29 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

I have made a prototype and decided on a plan:

12 x 12 slate tile
Centered Photo 8 x 8

Finish the tile on all sides with SLATE tile sealer
Affix the photo with two sided carpet tape. No moisture on photo and will not come up or off ... works great!
Seal the entire front including the photo with Krylon Preserve It Digital Photo & Paper Protectant Gloss

I will make 5 and take them to the local gallery where the sell my unframed prints and see what happens ..

By the way, people often ask me if I make any money selling prints. The answer is a laugh and a big NO. With $8,000+ in equipment I would have to sell a hell of a lot of prints at $40 ea (my cut after the gallery) less printing and presentation costs. I do it for fun and I am a retired business man who "needs to sell something" even if it just makes my ego feel good. I do make a small profit on each sale if you consider materials cost of goods sold only with no regard for investment. www.GaryPackPhotography.com

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Mon 29-Jul-13 01:02 AM
#9. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 29-Jul-13 01:03 AM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

I see this Post was moved... I never would have guessed it should have been in MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Open) ... LOL

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 29-Jul-13 01:41 AM
11487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Hi Gary,

The Café is for general discussions and topics that don’t fit under the other forum headings. Unfortunately we do not have a forum for “mounting, framing & presentation.”

A topic like this will be seen by a larger number of members here in the English Café then over in the Critique forum.

Thanks for posting and for the link you provided above. It has me thinking about creative ways to present imagery. I would like to see a picture of one of your tiles.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Mon 29-Jul-13 06:13 PM
#11. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 10

Bailey, US

Thanks Dave ... I will post one when I finish. The gloss spray is on order. I bought everything else today and figure my cost will be $13 ea. Not bad for a buy-and-hang-on-the-wall gallery item.

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Fri 02-Aug-13 09:56 PM
#12. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 11
Fri 02-Aug-13 11:02 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

Hi. Finally had time to finish 5 different tiles for "test market" sale in a local mountain gallery. These are 12 x 12, considerably larger than others I have seen. The Aspen wood pegs tie-off a rawhide strap (Boot shoelace ) that goes across the back for hanging . Gary

I want a Nikon 16-35mm lens and, just to keep it interesting, my own rule is that I have to earn at least half the cost through photography before I can get it.

www.GaryPackPhotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Sat 03-Aug-13 09:41 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 03-Aug-13 09:45 PM by rectangularimage

San Diego, US

Hi Gary,

That looks nice. I wanted to point out you can get metal prints. Might give you more durability for in an outdoor setting or maybe a better match with the slate. I have yet to try one of these metal prints but been meaning to.

http://www.adoramapix.com/app/products/metalprints

....Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Fri 09-Aug-13 03:54 PM
#17. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 09-Aug-13 03:55 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

The slate tiles are now in the Gallery at $84 ea. They only let me know what has sold when I get a statement at the end of the month.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 09-Aug-13 05:40 PM
11487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 17

Lowden, US

Good luck! I am sure that they will sell with images like the one above.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 08-Aug-13 03:25 AM
#14. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

This thread inspired me to look at some fun ways to present images.

After following the link posted by Gary (post #3) and Diane (post #7) then watching a video I found when I searched “transfer photo to glass” I decided to do some experiments.

First I tried the technique in the link that Diane posted. This worked well just as described in the link. The only things that I did different is that I distressed the wood first and I did not finish it with the wax that they suggested – I just used Krylon Preserve it.

Here is the original bison image...

Next I tried transferring the image to ceramic tile. This method works best with light colored tile. These tiles match my kitchen floor.

I used basically the same method as with the wood but because the tiles are a non-porous surface it was harder to avoid ruining the images when you rub off the paper. To solve that problem I coated the tile and the image with the acrylic gel medium (described in the link in post #7 and the video I linked to above) and allowed both to dry. Then I put another thin coat on the tile and applied the paper with the image (face down) and allowed that to dry overnight.

The next day I was able to rub off all of the paper. In the end there will still be some fibers in the gel causing a slight haze over the image – another thin coat of gel will get rid of the haze.

The next one is more like what Gary is doing and it is similar to the decoupage technique is Gary’s link except I used the acrylic gel medium as the glue. I also coated the image with the gel and removed most of the paper (to make it thinner) before affixing it, face up this time, to the tile. Since the tile is dark and the paper is removed I also put a thin coat of white acrylic artist paint on the back of the image.

This one has more wrinkles then I would like so I am going to try it again to see if I can get it better. Aside from the wrinkles the image looks like it is printed on the tile rather than being a piece of paper glued to the surface.

All of this is time consuming, the gel dries slow, and takes a lot of hands on work but the results have great potential.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Thu 08-Aug-13 01:27 PM
#15. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 14

Bailey, US

Now I will have to look in to that ! Looks like fun ... Gary

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 09-Aug-13 02:56 AM
3043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"

McEwen, US

I see a great market for this in tiles for a kitchen backsplash or a bathroom..... florals, wildlife, all kinds of things.

And I really like the buffalo on wood.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 09-Aug-13 07:45 PM
6476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"

Wethersfield, US

Dave, I love that image of the bison on distressed wood. Very cool!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Sat 10-Aug-13 02:12 AM
#20. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"

Bailey, US

Hi. Did you use a LaserJet printer with standard printer paper?

Thanks ..

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 10-Aug-13 02:49 AM
#21. "RE: Photos Mounted on Slate Tiles"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat 10-Aug-13 03:16 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Yes – Laser printer with standard copier paper.

I made the color prints on a color laser printer at Kinkos (Fedex Office) and I have also had Office Depot print a couple on their color copier. The color copier printed darker with more dense toner - I actually liked the prints from laser printer better - the copier probably could have been better if I could have adjusted the brightness.

You need a toner based printer or copier so that the image (the toner) is on top of the paper rather than being absorbed. The cheap paper should be easier to remove then any heaver “premium” laser paper.

Getting color prints made this way may confuse the young employee at the local copy center as they are trained to use premium paper for photos.

The gel I have been using is Golden Gel Medium - Regular Gel (Gloss)

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89530 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.