Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89415
View in linear mode

Subject: "Are digital cameras more prone to OOF shots than film?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sat 20-Jul-13 11:48 AM
3532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Are digital cameras more prone to OOF shots than film?"

St. Augustine, US

I have a Sigma lens that has to go in for repair. On the Sigma repair website it mentions that "Due to extreme sensitivity of the digital camera mirror box, more than 5 times as sensitive as that of a film camera, it may be necessary to adjust the AF data in your Sigma lens."

I have not heard that before and am curious as the reasons why. On a related note, what physically happens inside a DSLR when the AF fine tuning is adjusted?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sat 20-Jul-13 01:12 PM
9456 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Are digital cameras more prone to OOF shots than film?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I have a Sigma lens that has to go in for repair. On the Sigma repair website it mentions that "Due to extreme sensitivity of the digital camera mirror box, more than 5 times as sensitive as that of a film camera, it may be necessary to adjust the AF data in your Sigma lens."

People can (and do) debate relative resolving power of film and digital sensors quite a bit, so I'd take that "5 times" as subjective. However, I don't think that there's any debate that it's cheaper and easier to examine a digital image in detail than on film and that people today do so far more often than with film.

To illustrate this, consider looking at a 100% crop from a D800 on a mid-range monitor. At 96 pixels per inch, that's like looking at part of a 50x75" enlargement from a distance of less than three feet.

To meet the demands of such viewing requires substantially more precision both in focus algorithms and physical gear. Adjusting the AF data is a calibration which allows more precision.

On a related note, what physically happens inside a DSLR when the AF fine tuning is adjusted?

Nothing physical takes place in the dSLR. In the lens, new parameters are "flashed" into a memory chip, and as a result the lens provides slightly different data for the dSLR to use to determine focus.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 03:21 PM
1817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Are digital cameras more prone to OOF shots than film?"
In response to Reply # 1

Stamford, US

>To meet the demands of such viewing requires substantially
>more precision both in focus algorithms and physical gear.
>Adjusting the AF data is a calibration which allows more
>precision.

I don't believe that lens fine tuning affects AF precision at all, however, it improves AF accuracy.

Tristan

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 20-Jul-13 06:19 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Are digital cameras more prone to OOF shots than film?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 20-Jul-13 06:22 PM by Omaha

Omaha, US

>I don't think that
>there's any debate that it's cheaper and easier to examine a
>digital image in detail than on film and that people today do
>so far more often than with film.

Indeed.

This is one of those areas where the medium has driven the art. The sharpness and clarity that digital has conditioned us to demand was never considered that important before. If you shot 35mm, then as long as you got decent 5x7 prints, you were satisfied. MF shooters expected good 11x14's. Something really big like a 20x24 meant a LF negative.

Things sure have changed...

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89415 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.