Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89406
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tactical Photography?" Previous topic | Next topic
snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Sat 20-Jul-13 12:57 AM
1505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tactical Photography?"

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I just finished reading this article on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/18/us/massachusetts-tsarnaev-photos/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

I have never heard of "tactical photography" prior to this. Sounds pretty exciting! I did a Google search but couldn't find much on the topic. Anyone here ever done this type of photography?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tactical Photography?
dm1dave Administrator
20th Jul 2013
snegron Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
21st Jul 2013
snegron Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
kentak Silver Member
24th Jul 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 20-Jul-13 02:50 AM
11423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tactical Photography?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Jul-13 02:52 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

A good guess is that this term is the civilian law enforcement version of combat photography.

The US Navy for example has several “Combat Camera” Units. They shoot a lot of training missions to help combat units prepare for the real thing. They also shoot during and after real world combat missions in support of the operational commanders and intelligence units.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Sat 20-Jul-13 11:47 PM
1505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tactical Photography?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Thanks Dave! Combat photography sounds really cool as well. I wish I had known about this during my youth!

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 21-Jul-13 10:31 PM
34525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tactical Photography?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 21-Jul-13 10:38 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Documenting combat techniques for training manuals is interesting and demanding. I did some of this when it was a novelty, in the 60s.
CQB (Close Quarters Battle) tactical photography must illustrate what is meant by each term, like "Dynamic Entry", and what are the common mistakes and consequences of not doing it right.
The same goes for EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) and most other specialties.

It is indeed cool, although it can also be grueling, specially when in actual combat, documenting missions.
These guys not only have the stamina and nerves of steel, they are also incredible photographers.
Check for example the site of Air Force Master Sgt. Jeremy T. Lock who just bagged the Military Photography of the Year Award for the 7th consecutive year!

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Mon 22-Jul-13 12:10 AM
#4. "RE: Tactical Photography?"
In response to Reply # 3

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Absolutely amazing images!! It has been a while since I have been moved so much by photographs! His ability to capture such raw emotion in a single instant is truly outstanding! Thank you for sharing!

p.s. That is the level of photography I have always dreamed of achieving.

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Wed 24-Jul-13 12:38 PM
919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tactical Photography?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 24-Jul-13 12:41 PM by kentak

US

The cop who released these photos has been relieved of his badge and gun and put on desk duty.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/cop-leaked-bombing-suspect-photos-disciplined-161441328.html?pt=2

Kent

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89406 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.