Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89382
View in linear mode

Subject: "The perils of sports photography" Previous topic | Next topic
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Thu 18-Jul-13 04:47 PM
9451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"The perils of sports photography"
Sun 21-Jul-13 10:14 PM by benveniste

Boston Area, US

Not a Nikon, but...

http://youtu.be/TCfhH_-LHk4
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/357844322441388032/

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The perils of sports photography
ZoneV Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
reuben Moderator
21st Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
24th Jul 2013
Omaha
21st Jul 2013
benveniste Moderator
21st Jul 2013
jbloom Gold Member
30th Jul 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
30th Jul 2013

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 20-Jul-13 03:08 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 20-Jul-13 03:08 AM by ZoneV

US

That's kind of funny. I'm sure the TV company, whoever they are (it's apparently not ESPN) has insurance that covers such things.

btw, it's not unheard of for broadcast lenses to cost $80,000 or more. Not sure why.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Sun 21-Jul-13 09:33 PM
10402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 22-Jul-13 09:22 PM by reuben

Mayo, US

About 30 years ago I did a small promo for a local television station regarding an upcoming event (not golf). The event was exclusively for the top players in the nation, so while I wasn't good enough to participate in the event, I was plenty good for the 5 or 10 minute TV promo segment. Near the end of the taping session, not thinking that I could possibly do it, the cameraman told me to aim for his camera for a final dramatic shot. I did so, and nailed the lens at 60-80mph. He wasn't happy.

The golfer can claim that it was an accident. My excuse was that I did exactly what I was asked to do.

Simplify

Cormorants

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 24-Jul-13 03:54 PM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Steve,

Ouch!
A wise man once said; "Be careful what you ask for."

Best Regards,
Marty

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 21-Jul-13 10:04 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Heh.

That video's been pulled, but you can do a quick search on youtube and find others.

And that's not an $80k accident. All he broke was the front element on the lens, which is probably a fairly easy and cheap fix.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sun 21-Jul-13 10:14 PM
9451 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 3

Boston Area, US

Thanks for the heads-up. I updated link with one from the BBC.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 30-Jul-13 07:53 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I've seen photos of 300- and 400-mm lenses that had their front elements hit by a batted baseball. They look similar to the Twitter image you linked to!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Tue 30-Jul-13 08:25 PM
727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The perils of sports photography"
In response to Reply # 6

Lake Elmo, US

Nowhere near that serious ...BUT.....last season I was shooting a hockey game from the bench (my usual post) and was accidentally kicked by a player's skate jumping onto the ice over the boards. It happens !! The "kick" was very light but enough to throw my 70-200 f2.8 into autofocus mayhem. Cost me $600 to get it fixed.
All MY fault. Should have been more careful.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89382 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.