Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89355
View in linear mode

Subject: "My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?" Previous topic | Next topic
PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 01:48 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"

Kingston, CA

Hello,

While working with Lightroom 5 I stumbled across this scanned slide. This is my dad (who passed away in January at 85) with a Nikon F mounted on a telescope. This was some 40 years ago. I was around 10 years old at the time. I know why I have a liking for photography and Nikon bodies and lenses!

Do you have memories like this too, perhaps a similar picture?

Peter

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like t...
grnzbra
16th Jul 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
stevelink3
24th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
Reply message THIS IS THE CAMERA
grnzbra
17th Jul 2013
Scotty Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
ronsailcat Gold Member
18th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
18th Jul 2013
Brent Melton Silver Member
19th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
20th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
20th Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
21st Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
jrp Administrator
22nd Jul 2013
anneo Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
23rd Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
24th Jul 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
25th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
anneo Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
llevine Gold Member
30th Jul 2013
llevine Gold Member
30th Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
31st Jul 2013
llevine Gold Member
31st Jul 2013
PAStime Silver Member
31st Jul 2013
llevine Gold Member
31st Jul 2013

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Tue 16-Jul-13 02:29 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Jul-13 03:19 PM by grnzbra

Springfield, US

Did you come across it as a developed image or was it film that you then had developed?

Somewhere in the mid '60s, my mom, using a Kodak Box Brownie with 116 B&W film, took a pic of my dad. A few more exposures were made but they may have been accidental; they looked like the camera had been pointed at the ground. Then the camera was put on a shelf. About 25 years later, dad died, and mom died the following year.

Being an only child, I got everything including the camera that was still on the shelf. Most stuff was sold or given/thrown away. The rest went into boxes. The camera sat in a box in my basement for the next 16 years or so 'til I moved, when the box went into a garage for 2 years. Then I moved again and the box went into the basement for the last five years or so. When I came across the camera back in December 2012, I noticed there was film in it.

So I went to filmrescue.com (after trying to get it developed locally - no one had tanks big enough for 116 film) and got two pix of my dad. One had been contaminated and had heavy spotting at the top and bottom; he looks like he was standing in tall weeds under a low hanging tree. The other was ok.

I have better pix of my dad, but these two are special because for almost fifty years, they waited faithfully in the camera - waiting to be developed.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Wed 17-Jul-13 01:53 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 1

Ohio, US

Your dad's automobile is a 1964 Oldsmobile F-85 (the fore-runner of the Cutlass.) That should help you date the photograph.

Bill
Nikon since 1970

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Wed 24-Jul-13 03:49 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Your dad's automobile is a 1964 Oldsmobile F-85 (the
>fore-runner of the Cutlass.) That should help you date the
>photograph.
>
>Bill
>Nikon since 1970

Greetings!
That image of an Olds F-85 brings back memories of my Dad and the F-85 I drove to high school...I remember that car fondly...that is, until it "spontaneously combusted" in the school parking lot! (Actually, there was some kind of carburetor malfunction which caused smoke to billow from under the hood.) In any case, my father was not into photography except for the oral (dental x-ray) images he made for his dental research and for college lectures. He was a great man, husband, father, and an exemplary human being.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 17-Jul-13 02:01 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kingston, CA

That's a great story about finding the pictures 50 years after they were taken. In my case I came across developed film that was mounted in slides. Peter

grnzbra Registered since 28th Sep 2011Wed 17-Jul-13 05:33 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "THIS IS THE CAMERA"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 17-Jul-13 09:14 AM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

My mother found these 2 images of me with 2 cameras - aged 7 - not sure what kind they were - one obviously has a waist-level finder. I have no idea what I was shooting though...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

ronsailcat Gold Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2003Thu 18-Jul-13 01:57 AM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 4

Pioneer, US

I have B&W negatives, as well as color transperancies, from my Dad's Speed Graflex 4x5. He passed in 1961. I have scanned and printed some of them.

Ron

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 18-Jul-13 02:10 AM
#8. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

Hi Ron. Good thing they are developed and scanned. I don't think you could get 4x5 developed very easily these days. Peter

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 18-Jul-13 02:08 AM
#7. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

Nice pictures Alex. Always a photographer! Peter

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Fri 19-Jul-13 01:42 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Denton, US

What a prize to have a picture like that. I too am fortunate to have many pictures from the past. My Mother was the photographer in the family. I believe that is where my love of photography began. She took many pictures when we kids were young. This is a picture of her on the right with the camera and my Father on the left. Circa 1960.
This was taken during a weekend of camping and swimming at a lake we visited often back then. I was probably about seven or eight at the time. Great memories!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 20-Jul-13 10:48 AM
#10. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Thanks for sharing Brent. Is that a scan of a print? Peter

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Sat 20-Jul-13 11:43 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 10

Denton, US

It is a scan of a print that she had made years ago. After she passed I scanned several hundred old family photos she had taken and acquired over the years so all her kids and grandkids could have copies of her pictures.
Brent

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 20-Jul-13 09:26 PM
#12. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 11

Kingston, CA

That's great Brent. Once scanned, a print is captured (in theory) forever. Peter

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 21-Jul-13 07:47 PM
34198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Peter!
What a precious photograph.

Hurricane Gilberto took away thousands of prints, negatives, slides, enlargers and much more, that I had been accumulating for 30 years by then.
So I only have this one that I took myself of my father, reflected in a window with his Nikon FTN photographing his first grandson, my son, back in 1971:

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 22-Jul-13 01:17 AM
#14. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 13

Kingston, CA

Goodness JRP, losing all of those images in a hurricane is a significant loss.

That photograph you do have is a treasure. I didn't quite understand your description of it: your son is wearing the hat? your father is in the background? you are holding the Nikon but not visible in the image?

Thanks for sharing,
Peter

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 22-Jul-13 07:21 AM
34198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 14
Mon 22-Jul-13 07:56 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes, it was very sad. But we were spared.

The photo:
My son is wearing the white cap, held up by one of his ants (you can only see her hands as I told her to kneel down as soon as I saw the shot)
My father is wearing the dark hat.
He is in front of my son, photographing him, holding his camera, shooting with the same finger that is holding his cigar.
They were both outside our home. I was inside.
What I caught was my father's reflection on the not very clean glass of an open window -at an angle- and my son directly through it.
You may guess where exactly was my father as my son is looking directly at him.

Below an attempt of a diagram. Please excuse the angles

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

anneo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2010Mon 22-Jul-13 09:03 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 15

Adelaide, AU

One of my earliest memories is as a 2 year old calling out to my mother to carry me as a freak wave at the beach threatened to engulf me to see her instead sprint towards her prized possession - her new Kodak Retinette in its brown leather case.

I felt abandoned at the time but understand completely now.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 22-Jul-13 11:36 AM
#18. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 16

Kingston, CA

That's a funny story anneo. A child will cough and sputter and get all wet but recover. A camera may be ruined forever!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 22-Jul-13 11:33 AM
#17. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 15

Kingston, CA

Hi. Thanks for the explanation and the diagram. I needed it! I see the cigar now - didn't see it at first. At the moment of the shot, your father isn't looking in exactly the same direction as the camera he is holding. Your father has a bit of a smile, as if he is really enjoying the moment. It is an interesting image. Peter

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Tue 23-Jul-13 12:44 AM
#19. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

Denton, US

This has been a great thread that I have been following with each reply and looking at the pictures posted just simply shouts "This is why I take pictures".

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 24-Jul-13 02:00 AM
#20. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 19

Kingston, CA

>This has been a great thread that I have been following with
>each reply and looking at the pictures posted just simply
>shouts "This is why I take pictures".

I agree Brent. I am hoping we get some more vintage pictures of moms and dads. Peter

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Wed 24-Jul-13 02:44 AM
#21. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 20

Denton, US

Peter,
Here are a couple of more vintage pictures that are treasures to me. The first is my paternal grandparents in 1910 or 1911 with there first child, my oldest aunt. The second is my Mother and Father in April 1945 the day they were married.

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 06:22 PM
256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 25-Jul-13 06:23 PM by shipsdrummer

Bob in New Orleans, US

Though I can't find any photos of my Parent's using a camera, it's a memory I have from childhood that they always took photos wherever they traveled and that certainly had an influence on me.

Here's an image from 1946 of my Father as a young soldier in Bremen Germany. The Allied occupation was underway and he was an investigator with the US Army military police attached to what was left of Germany's railway system. I'm a Locomotive Engineer now...go figure.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Fri 26-Jul-13 12:43 AM
#24. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 23

Kingston, CA

That's a great shot. It shows your dad at one of occupations. It is hard to see but it looks like he is wearing large, heavy duty gloves on his hands. Peter

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 02:47 PM
256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 24

Bob in New Orleans, US

Yes he was wearing heavy winter gloves presumably to protect his hands from the hot controls of that steam locomotive.
This is what I love about photography, how it can capture a moment in time that can never really be duplicated and preserves that moment forever.

"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

anneo Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2010Sat 27-Jul-13 03:51 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 25

Adelaide, AU

I have so many old photos I am overwhelmed. This post has inspired me to start scanning them.
The first photo is of my parents when they were first married in 1947 on their way to school where they were teachers. Mum would get off the bike and walk the last block in case the students saw them.It was just after WWII and they couldn't afford a car yet.
The second photo is of mum as a 21 year old having just joined the Red Cross during the war. The photo is in bad shape, but I rescued it from the throw out pile when we were cleaning out their home.

Attachment #3, (jpg file)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 27-Jul-13 12:08 PM
#27. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 26

Kingston, CA

Great photos. Happy couple. I like the way your mom manages to sit on a bike as a passenger despite skirt and heels, etc. Notice the dynamo on the bike? I haven't seen one of those in a while. Peter

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Tue 30-Jul-13 08:12 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

I was looking through old photos and found this one of my Dad. Probably taken around the early to mid 1940's. The camera is a miniature speed graphic 2 X 3. When I was the photography editor of my high school newspaper in the late 1950's, I used this camera. I recall that it had magazines that had individual film loaded. You pulled out a slide to then expose the film. Then you put the slide back in and took out the magazine to be developed in a dark room. It was a different world of photography. My dad, who just celebrated his 99th birthday, reminded me of this picture.

Regards, Lance

http://lancerlevine.smugmug.com/

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Tue 30-Jul-13 08:15 PM
368 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 28

El Paso, US

I was asked when I first got involved with photography. This is me with my sister, Roberta. I was probably around 9-10 years old and had a camera in my hand. The year would have been around 1950. Based on having that amount of experience, I should be a much better photographer.

Regards, Lance

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 31-Jul-13 01:34 AM
#31. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 29

Kingston, CA

Another great shot Lance. I guess the same picture taken in current times would have kids holding smartphones and tablets. Peter

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Wed 31-Jul-13 04:11 PM
#33. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 31

El Paso, US

Photography has certainly gotten easier.

Regards, Lance

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 31-Jul-13 01:31 AM
#30. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 28

Kingston, CA

That's a great shot of your dad Lance. He is smiling, in action, engaged, and seeming right at home with what he is doing. Please pass along my congratulations on your dad's 99th! Peter

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Wed 31-Jul-13 04:09 PM
#32. "RE: My dad with a Nikon F - do you have pictures like this?"
In response to Reply # 30

El Paso, US

Peter,

Thanks for your good wishes. I am fortunate to still have my Dad.

Regards, Lance

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.