Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89346
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 16-Jul-13 12:57 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
Tue 16-Jul-13 12:57 AM by ZoneV

US

http://www.dslrbodies.com/

Check it out.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website
esantos Moderator
16th Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator
16th Jul 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
16th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
agitater Gold Member
24th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
16th Jul 2013
rectangularimage Silver Member
17th Jul 2013
robcran Silver Member
21st Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
22nd Jul 2013
robcran Silver Member
22nd Jul 2013
Covey22 Moderator
23rd Jul 2013
STAN__LEE Silver Member
23rd Jul 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 16-Jul-13 01:24 AM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I am finding it difficult to navigate and the font size is too small. So far I consider it a step backward in design.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 16-Jul-13 01:27 AM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

I agree - not a positive change.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 16-Jul-13 01:40 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 1

Lynnwood, US

You should be able to change the font size in your browser. In Firefox it's View->Zoom->Zoom In

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

my website

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 16-Jul-13 09:37 PM
1949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 3

Little Rock, US

>You should be able to change the font size in your browser.
>In Firefox it's View->Zoom->Zoom In
>

Quicker to hold down the Ctrl key and use your mouse roller, (in Windows).

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 01:47 AM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I can't help but wonder that he's optimized the site for phones and tablets. The font selection seems to lend itself to a narrower screen in portrait orientation.

On the other hand, I liked how he cleaned up the drop-down menus. In particular, I very much like the Ultimate Upgrade Guide which is under Camera->Camera Articles. I guess I particularly like his answer which says if you own a D300, stick with it. Saves me another incident of NAS!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 16-Jul-13 02:08 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Old site is still up, at least for now...

http://www.bythom.com/index.htm

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 02:59 PM
3297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

I agree on the font size and agree with another poster that it's probably to allow easier reading on tablets and smart phones. However, overall I think it's an improvement as I found the old (original) site messy and almost as that it needed a spring clean.

I've spent a bit of time trying to find articles I often refer folks to such as VR or the miss-use of VR and found all of my enquiries through the on site "ByThom" search field.

I'm sure we'll all get used to it and it's probable he'll not update the original site after a while, so best get used to it

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 24-Jul-13 09:42 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

>I am finding it difficult to navigate and the font size is
>too small. So far I consider it a step backward in design.

Ctrl and + on your keyboard to increase the font size in any browser. Ctrl and - on your keyboard to reduce the font size in any browser.

Takes two seconds to make it exactly the size you prefer.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 16-Jul-13 05:48 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I was actually searching for an old lens review, and it took me a minute to get off the psplash page and find the right sub-site. Font size didn't bother me — but right now I'm on a big screen, and there's always the magical (for us old folk) command-plus technique (is that control-plus for you PC folk?). But tonite on my laptop will be more of a test.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Wed 17-Jul-13 01:17 AM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

It's strange such a software savvy person doesn't hire a web designer. All his sites suffer from usability issues, not to mention subpar aesthetics. Such a wealth of information, so hard to get to.

My website | My Nikonians gallery

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sun 21-Jul-13 11:49 PM
804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

Thanks. For several weeks I have been watching the old site waiting for it to convert to the new site. I am surprised that Thom did not make an announcement on his old site with a link to the new one. I would have continued on the assumption that he was still working on his new site.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 22-Jul-13 02:43 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I think Thom did, but it was rather low-key. If you go to Bythom.com now, it's just simply an amalgamation of links to the latest content on all his other sites. Somewhere on the 17th of July, he cut it over from the old style (dominant "teaching picture", tabs that were migrated to DSLR bodies etc) to the stark B&W text only it is now.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Mon 22-Jul-13 11:19 PM
804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 11

Westleigh, AU

Hi Armando,

The link that I had bookmarked for Thom's site is http://www.bythom.com/index.htm When you go to that page it looks just the same as it always did. Once you delete the "/index.htm" bit off in the browser it goes to the index page you mentioned. So I was quite happily clicking my bookmark to what I thought was Thom's main page and getting the standard page with nothing to indicate that the site had moved.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 23-Jul-13 01:50 AM
#14. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Fair point Robert. He removed the standard redirect to /index.htm behavior when surfing directly to the bythom.com address. This is probably to wean off any new arrivals. Not sure what he intends to do with the index.htm page. It would make sense to force a redirect back eventually, but maybe there's content he's keeping there for archive purposes.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

STAN__LEE Silver Member Charter MemberTue 23-Jul-13 12:12 AM
6696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Thom Hogan's New/revamped main website"
In response to Reply # 11

ROSEVILLE, US

Me, too, Rob, me too! stan

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89346 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.