Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89280
View in linear mode

Subject: "The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphon..." Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 11-Jul-13 04:58 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"

Atlanta, US

The 41 megapixel Nokia 1020 is the new leader for high resolution images - and its a smartphone.

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/nokia-lumia-1020/4505-6452_7-35822762.html

One of the interesting features - and I don't fully understand it - is an oversampling process that provides loss free zooming on a 5 megapixel image.

Clearly the camera wars are at work in the smartphone market. This may be where Nikon enters the market with some sort of smartphone. The concept of oversampling can be used in a number of ways - including extending dynamic range or extending focus. If you can do it in software, they can move the software to the phone.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smart...
ZoneV Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
12th Jul 2013
migs
12th Jul 2013
briantilley Moderator
12th Jul 2013
migs
12th Jul 2013
ericbowles Moderator
17th Jul 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Jul 2013
rectangularimage Silver Member
19th Jul 2013

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 04:05 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 0

US

How is that loss free?

Down-rezzing is known to reduce noise, and you wouldn't get that benefit when using the crop-tele.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 12-Jul-13 12:02 PM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

I'm not sure of what they are doing. But I can see the ability to capture and assemble multiple images and then combine them in software. Nikon does this with a blank frame for long exposure noise reduction. If you extend that idea to exposure, you get in camera HDR. It sounds like this is a composite image of some sort done in-camera.

In any event, I'm interested in hearing more.

The resolution on the sample image is pretty impressive.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Fall Workshops - Golf Photography at the Tour Championship and Fall Color in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

migs Basic MemberFri 12-Jul-13 11:18 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 0

Warrington, GB

High pixel counts aren't new to Nokia phones. The Pureview 808 had the same sensor about 18 months ago. As a natural sceptic, my first thought was not how good it would be, but how bad. Anyway, here's a link to a full size image -

Nokia 41mp

Although there is some softness at 100%, it's really quite impressive, especially for a phone. The softness is likely caused by whatever noise reduction they're employing.

I don't pretend to understand the maths of it all, mind you.

--
Paul
- Head full of magic, shoes full of rain

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 12-Jul-13 11:22 AM
28680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

I can't get your link to work, Paul.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

migs Basic MemberFri 12-Jul-13 11:27 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 12-Jul-13 11:29 AM by migs

Warrington, GB

Try c&p the address -

http://press.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/mediaplugin/photo/climbing-in-south-africa-2-captured-with-nokia-808-pureview.jpg

--
Paul
- Head full of magic, shoes full of rain

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 17-Jul-13 06:52 PM
#6. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Here is a dpreview article:
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6384275680/nokia-lumia-1020-preview

At $299 I expect ATT users will be very willing to give it a try. I liked the suggested grip and the Windows 8 interface. That probably translates into some great post processing options in the device. The term in-camera seems to understate the power of this tiny device.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 19-Jul-13 12:51 AM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Hi Eric,
Yeah - but who would want to be seen taking a picture with a TELEPHONE?

- or am I just old-fashioned?

Pete
PS. The image looks pretty good!
PPS. I'd only get one of these if it came bundled with an adapter that allowed me to use my 400/2.8 and get a full-frame close-up of the man in the moon!

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Fri 19-Jul-13 09:10 PM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: The newest high megapixel camera - Nokia 1020 Smartphone"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

As mentioned the 41meg on a Nokia is not new, and I think all those pixels are a good idea.

The target output is for online use, so the 41meg can be down-sampled to reduce noise (and increase dynamic range?) or crop-zoomed.

....Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89280 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.