Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89254
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 10-Jul-13 12:55 AM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
Wed 10-Jul-13 12:59 AM by ZoneV

US

A Nikon user has written an article that may be hard for some of us to read:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/07/10/photographer-blogs-about-gear-addiction

Yeah, I have too many cameras. But they're mostly film cameras and I'm somewhat of a collector (not a rampant buyer/seller). And I've actually used almost all of them within the past year. Hey, I'm slowing down, too...I now have almost all the Nikon film SLR bodies I originally wanted. And I only have three DSLR bodies. That's not excessive! Lenses? You can never have enough lenses! Lenses are each a unique view on the world, and I use different ones depending on mood and photographic objective. I could always use a couple more flash units, though. Bags and tripods? Who cares about those?! Not I! Film? I've bought up some significant stock over the years and froze it, but only because many types have been discontinued, and prices tend to increase over time.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)
PerroneFord Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
Ned_L Moderator
10th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
Ned_L Moderator
10th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
rogermorris Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
11th Jul 2013
11th Jul 2013
blw Moderator
12th Jul 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator
12th Jul 2013
12th Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator
14th Jul 2013
14th Jul 2013
KerryS Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
14th Jul 2013
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
13th Jul 2013
Ned_L Moderator
13th Jul 2013
snegron Silver Member
14th Jul 2013

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Wed 10-Jul-13 06:15 AM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

It is really sad to think there are people in the world like this, but you see it with many things. Women and shoes, men and tools, etc. Some people just have addictive personalities.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 02:46 PM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 1

Philadelphia, US

It is sad, very sad.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 10-Jul-13 03:03 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 10-Jul-13 03:07 PM by ZoneV

US

So, do you guys feel that being a film SLR collector/user is a bad thing, and that one should sell anything that one doesn't technically "need"? There are some people with huge gear lists on nikonians, amassed over 15, 20, or more years...even DSLR bodies. If someone has mroe than, say, 5 bodies, should they sell some?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Wed 10-Jul-13 03:28 PM
2529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 3

Tallahassee, US

Many people collect things. Nothing wrong with that. I have more than 5 bodies. But those are working tools for me. Some in studio, some in the field, some I use for specific purposes.

There is a difference to me in buying gear because it's cool and you like it, and buying gear because you feel compelled to do so for some unknown purpose or reason. I am likely going to buy an FM2 simply because I want a camera that works without any batteries. I might buy an F4s because that was my first Nikon and I had to sell my first one for financial reasons and I've regretted it ever since. But I'm not compelled to these things. I'll get around to them eventually.

If you collect SLRs, that's your business. Honestly, for those who are compelled to continue to buy things, that's their business too.

-P

>So, do you guys feel that being a film SLR collector/user is
>a bad thing, and that one should sell anything that one
>doesn't technically "need"? There are some people
>with huge gear lists on nikonians, amassed over 15, 20, or
>more years...even DSLR bodies. If someone has mroe than, say,
>5 bodies, should they sell some?

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 10-Jul-13 03:31 PM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 3

Philadelphia, US

I don't. Many people have collections, all kinds of collections. My brother collected stamps, my mother, antique glasses, a friend, modern art. There is nothing wrong with collecting. I have another friend who collects antique cameras.

There are multiple factors in collecting. One of them is, does the collector collect objects to the detriment of themselves and their families. When that happens, it's certainly not a good thing.

I have a pretty substantial amount of photographic gear. I use it. Some items I use more than others. Some I rarely use, but I do use them all.

If someone has more than 5 bodies, should they sell some is a question which isn't answerable without knowing a great deal about the person and their circumstances, and even then, I'm not going to presume I can answer that question for them. I will say this. If they are out of work, no unemployment or retirement money coming in, and don't know where their next dollar, euro, etc. is coming from and it's tough to get food on the table or they are using their savings to live instead of keeping it for when they retire, then it's highly doubtful that keeping that equipment makes any sense. On the other hand, if there is no financial pressure to sell, whatsoever, then why sell for the sake of selling?

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 10-Jul-13 04:31 PM
#6. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 10-Jul-13 04:39 PM by ZoneV

US

>If someone has more than 5 bodies, should they sell some is a
>question which isn't answerable without knowing a great deal
>about the person and their circumstances, and even then, I'm
>not going to presume I can answer that question for them. I
>will say this. If they are out of work, no unemployment or
>retirement money coming in, and don't know where their next
>dollar, euro, etc. is coming from and it's tough to get food
>on the table or they are using their savings to live instead
>of keeping it for when they retire, then it's highly doubtful
>that keeping that equipment makes any sense. On the other
>hand, if there is no financial pressure to sell, whatsoever,
>then why sell for the sake of selling?

I pretty much agree. For me personally, I have a good number of film bodies. I am a collector of Nikons, but only to a point. For example, never more than one of a certain model. If on the rare occasion I stumble across a newer, better copy and actually purchase it, I sell the older one (This has only happened with the F4s so far). Also, I never have more than two bodies of a certain design, whether they are used for paid work or personal work. For PJ, I have and regularly use one D1H and one D1x, and a D200. And since I have an FE-2, I would never buy an FM2, FE, or FM in addition, for instance. Two bodies of a certain design is the limit. (There are days when I want to go out with two manual focus cameras, for example, and use both simultaneously with different lenses or film types.) I figure that with my different film bodies, I'll be able to continue shooting film for a long time to come, even once the supply of bodies dries up. I also enjoy picking up and going out to shoot with a different body that I haven't used in a while, for variety.

Maybe the difference between afficionados and addicts is that for aficionados, the positive feelings gained from using various gear last indefinitely, whereas for addicts, it is fleeting and they feel compelled to buy something new (and often sell the previous one). I still enjoy my first Nikon, the N90s, as much as when I first got it.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 11-Jul-13 01:27 PM
3344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 6

Dyserth, GB

I discovered that there is no cure for NAS and despite their best efforts the health services in the UK, whether private or public, are at a loss to find a remedy. Sometimes, one just has to accept the inevitable

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

rogermorris Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2013Thu 11-Jul-13 08:01 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 7

Harrogate, GB

Having been a member for about a month I realise I have fairly modest NAS, 11 Nikon bodies in 35 years, of which I retain 4. However I now have NAS2 - Nikonians Addiction Syndrome! I don't want to be cured!

Best regards to all.

Roger

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 11-Jul-13 02:06 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Not much different from what Zach Arias has been saying for years. It's good advice. And many people do buy stuff they never/rarely use with money that perhaps is better spent elsewhere.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 11-Jul-13 07:49 PM
#9. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I made a list of all my gear, and it turned out there were several pieces of equipment that I haven't used in a long time, and don't really need to keep. I guess I'll be selling a few things soon.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 11-Jul-13 07:59 PM
3344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

<<I made a list of all my gear, and it turned out there were several pieces of equipment that I haven't used in a long time>>

I've done that, bought and sold 3 70-300mm VR's, decided I missed it when I bought the V1 and bought a 4th copy Now that's NAS.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 12-Jul-13 10:45 AM
26652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I mostly use photo gear, and if it's not used, it usually moves on. Some of the oldest stuff hasn't been sold simply because it's more hassle to sell it than it's worth. I have a couple of 35-year-old Tamron lenses that I literally couldn't give away, even though they actually work quite well. Some of my old digital cameras (pre SLRs) are probably worth about $10 - they're more or less just sitting in the closet. I keep a few of my older equipment out of senitment: my first Nikon (that I owned), an FM2n. The F2 that I really wanted to have when I started in photography, back in the 1970s. I'll likely get an Exakta VxIIb, which is what I learned on. There seems to be no good reason to sell my D100, which would bring in little money, and which serves some utilitarian purposes around the house (more or less just keeping cycles off of my main gear). I have a Fuji x10 for when I can't abide lugging around the Nikon stuff.

I certainly have a lot of lenses - but I do a pretty wide variety of photography, and many have already passed on.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Fri 12-Jul-13 01:53 PM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

I would only worry about this if I had a stockpile of used disposable cameras.

People are collectors by nature. That's why we build bigger houses than we "need". How many books do you have? Do you have a savings account? If we didn't accumulate stuff that we didn't need, there wouldn't be any great garage sales.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 12-Jul-13 05:21 PM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

I am not an avid collector but an accumulator of stuff that might, someday come in handy. Moving away from my home in the US, which was filled with things I seldom saw or even remembered I had was quite a change for me. Paring down from 14 rooms to 1 was not as traumatic as I would have assumed. The hardest thing was giving away a number of valuable horses, and the remainder of my collection of restored 1960s and 70s Maserati GTs, 13 of them which at its peak was the worlds largest private collection

It actually was liberating and I found more time for socializing and getting back into photography. The NAS hit when I started collecting desired lenses 4-5 years ago until I had most of what I wanted, and have not gotten another one in a year. The last was the most useless one for me, a new 50 1.2 MF. I am just not that tempted now because I have good enough or better than I am at all focal lengths I regularly shoot. I might adjust the versions however, changing the 85 1.4D for a 1.4G for example.
The only camera I have been tempted to get recently was a F5 that came up for trade locally. After thinking about it, i could not part with any of my often used lenses to trade.
I never sell anything. I do give a lot of things away however and when I moved here, I gave away a number of classic restored Italian GTs, furniture, just about everything in the 3 weeks leading up to my move. It was hard work giving so much away including a successful business.
There is real pleasure in having a simpler life, more time to play and do more important things. Collections tend to own their owner and take away from things that matter.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 12-Jul-13 09:26 PM
#15. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyserth, GB

<<Paring down from 14 rooms to 1 was not as traumatic as I would have assumed.>>

14 rooms, now that's impressive Stan

Richard

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 14-Jul-13 03:57 PM
3312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 15

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Richard, I leased it out well below market so as to keep a family in it while I am far away and not have to worry about it. The property taxes each year are higher than my income here. It is not that fancy of a home, I have had much nicer places but that one is in a very upscale community so its price keeps increasing over its intrinsic value.
If I ever retire, not likely, it will be sold and I'll live from the proceeds of its sale. I am sure I will never live in it again due to basic overhead of about $5,000 a month just to run it. Otherwise I have a very simple living requirement now, no bills except about $50 a month for wireless LTE internet access and really like that absence of bills, a fair tradeoff for less luxury and far less responsibilities. I do not miss the complexity and stress of life in the US one bit, everyone I talk to back there is too busy trying keep from sinking under the weight of bills, time demands and responsibilities leaving no time for living.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 14-Jul-13 05:06 PM
#21. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

<<.everyone I talk to back there is too busy trying keep from sinking under the weight of bills,>>

You are lucky man Stan and I wish you well. My heating bills per annum amount to 16% of my pension alone

Richard

KerryS Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2012Fri 12-Jul-13 11:00 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Sedro Woolley, WA, US

This could be said of almost any hobby or activity people are engaged in. I am an avid fly fisherman and I own over 2 dozen fly rods. Like cameras only one can be used at any given time. I have more reels than I can count again only one on a rod. I own 5 boats I use for fishing. I can only use one at a time. GAS is a common problem that is not limited to photography.

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sun 14-Jul-13 05:20 PM
811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 17

Lake Elmo, US

Yep...Me too ! I am a nut fisherman (not fly) and own (get this) 15 St Croix Legend Tournament Rods. These are sweet rods and admittedly very expensive, but most are for different species, techniques etc. 15 is really too many though !!@!!

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 13-Jul-13 01:13 AM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 13-Jul-13 01:15 AM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

The three-article series, though long-winded, repetitious and sloppily written, does make the valid point that there are those who buy equipment as an end onto itself instead of as a means to take great pictures. Who doesn't get a small thrill when you hit that "buy" button on the B&H site, or when the UPS or FedEx truck pulls up your driveway and you pull out that shiny new camera body or lens from the gold Nikon box? I remember one Nikonian calling it the Fondle Factor.

Is it an addiction? I don't know, maybe. Like everything in life, it's all about balance. As I'm fond of saying, I have way more equipment than talent, and I probably spend too much time on this site (actually, there's no "probably" about it). But I don't rob the household emergency fund to pay for my purchases. Though far from rich, I'm at a stage in life where I've accumulated some disposable cash, and I choose to spend it on camera gear. Most importantly, as others have stated, I actually USE the equipment that I buy. For me, the buy-use-sell-buy something else cycle is part of the photography journey. And besides, we're all entitled to enjoy life in our own unique way.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 13-Jul-13 01:30 AM
#19. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 18

Philadelphia, US

"And besides, we're all entitled to enjoy life in our own unique way."

And if there is an answer out there that makes sense, that's it, at least for me, Jerry.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Sun 14-Jul-13 07:25 PM
1492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: A Perspective on Gear Acquisition Syndrome (NAS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Interesting article; puts things in perspective. Usually when I purchase a photography related item I do so after extensive thought and research. Have I collected more than one or two cameras over the years simply for the irrational sake of owning them? Probably. Have I spent more on camera equipment than most people I know? Probably. Will I stop doing so any time soon? Probably not.

Do I use all of the equipment I currently own? No. However, I do enjoy searching for and finding cameras/lenses I like. It's fun. Since I can't afford to collect antique cars, Rolex watches or Picasso paintings I'll settle for NAS.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89254 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.