Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89198
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any new Nikon's in the near furture?" Previous topic | Next topic
stash Gold Member Charter MemberThu 04-Jul-13 10:01 PM
511 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
Thu 04-Jul-13 10:04 PM by stash

Auburn, US

Just curious if anyone knows if Nikon has any new cameras planned soon?
For example D600s, D800s, etc.---I just making these names up
Fall 13'----winter 13'-----spring 14' ?

My wish list----D800s with 24mp or a D600s with the D800's build and look and of course no dust/oil.

Thanks

Stash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?
briantilley Moderator
05th Jul 2013
jbloom Gold Member
05th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
06th Jul 2013
Omaha
06th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member
06th Jul 2013
Omaha
07th Jul 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
mklass Platinum Member
10th Jul 2013
Omaha
10th Jul 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
07th Jul 2013
MEMcD Moderator
07th Jul 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
10th Jul 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
10th Jul 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 05-Jul-13 07:31 AM
28324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

>Just curious if anyone knows if Nikon has any new cameras
>planned soon?

That's easy to answer - no. Everything anyone (outside Nikon's own design department) posts is speculation

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 05-Jul-13 11:55 AM
5952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

As Brian says, anyone purporting to "know" Nikon's plans is dealing in questionable information -- or sheer speculation. But if you're interested in that sort of thing, there is a site that specializes in it. Caveat lector.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Jul-13 02:40 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Traditionally Nikon has an announcement in the August timeframe. People are expecting a DX camera announcement then. But it's anyone's guess as to what (if anything) gets announced. Some people think it will be the D300 successor but it could just as easily be a new Nikon 1 or something.

Personally, I think some of the speculation Thom Hogan has is interesting. He basically lays it out like this: DSLR market has contracted by 15%, the big makers (Nikon, Canon, etc) have large inventories of current and last generation product that is unsold. Announcing another camera makes it so that they have 3 generations of products unsold. What's in their best interest? Keeping a release schedule and build up unsold inventory or delaying things and trying to clear out inventory?

I think that the makers would be better off selling off as much inventory as possible and delay announcements for a while.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 06-Jul-13 12:06 AM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:06 AM by ZoneV

US

>I think that the makers would be better off selling off as
>much inventory as possible and delay announcements for a
>while.

Agreed, especially Nikon. If you look at B&H, there are currently 13 different model number Nikon FX and DX DSLR bodies in stock...not counting CX bodies. That's a lot!

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 06-Jul-13 12:04 AM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Jul-13 12:07 AM by ZoneV

US

Going by historical trends, any of D4x, D400, or D3300 would be the most likely next body.

That's not to say D4s, D600s or D800s bodies would be a bad idea either...

People have had issues with AF calibration on both D4 and D800 bodies, and oil/dust on the sensor issues with the D600.

The D4 also has a weird memory card slot arrangement and is still the only camera using XQD. If XQD doesn't catch on, I'd expect the next pro body (D4x or D4s) to revert back to CF for both slots.

Also, some sports photographers wish for higher fps on the D800. If there's ever a D800s, I'd expect it to shoot faster than the D800.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 01:14 AM
2967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Thom Hogan predicted that a D400 and/or a D4x will be announced in August. As Brian says, it is speculation.

http://www.bythom.com/
scroll down to June 21

Rocky

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 06-Jul-13 05:25 AM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Whatever it is I wish they'd get on with it because I just can't find a camera that does what I need it to do.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 02:48 PM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

You can't find one that takes pictures?

What is missing from the current line-up?

We now have cameras that produce large images with incredible detail. We have cameras with excellent dynamic range. We have cameras with formerly unthinkable ISO range and low noise capabilities. We have SLR's that shoot movies. And we are getting all of this at some great values.

I think that the more the camera makers give us, expectations will always be greater so that some are never satisfied.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 11:23 PM
461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun 07-Jul-13 11:24 PM by Omaha

Omaha, US

Oh, I was just having a bit of fun.

Honestly, I think the folks at Canikon have jumped onto a treadmill that is going to go faster and faster until they just fall off.

As picture-taking devices, where do they have left to go? Cameras can always get faster, but how much faster than a D7100 or D4 are they going to get? Big time diminishing returns.

Or they can capture more MP...but the D800 is already crazy high. Are they going to match the high-end MF backs (80MP these days)? More diminishing returns.

Or they can add features...video, GPS and WiFi will soon be standard. What's left? 1000 AF points? ISO 600,000? Web browsers? Crazy PP special effects? Maybe something to do with 3D? Its more diminishing returns.

About the only real-world shooting situation I see that hasn't already been met is see in the dark, action sports shooting accessible to amateurs. Soccer moms and dads would love to be able to point their $995 DSLR cum kit lens at Junior playing basketball in the poorly lit gym and effortlessly get Sports Illustrated quality results. That will require better ISO, better AF, and crazy good crop capabilities (ie more MP).

But its still diminishing returns...chasing a smaller and smaller segment of the market with features that are less and less "mainstream".

While all that is going on, Canikon is getting squeezed from the bottom. For 99% of people taking pictures in 2013, pictures are "for" the web, and you can get a terrific camera in any new cell phone.

I'm glad I'm not a DSLR product development guy these days.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Wed 10-Jul-13 01:45 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

More pixels doesn't look more useful as the D800 and D7100 are now limited by diffraction. Higher ISO with lower noise and more dynamic range are useful.

my website

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 10-Jul-13 02:16 PM
5583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 12

Tacoma, US

Funny, I don't feel the least bit limited by my D800e or D7100. Quite the contrary.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 10-Jul-13 04:50 PM
#15. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 13

Omaha, US

I don't think he meant to imply that either camera is limiting, just that diffraction is already a real consideration at today's MP/pixel sizes. Making smaller pixels (by definition, a necessity if MP increases for a given image format) will only make it more so.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Sun 07-Jul-13 12:00 AM
4446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

The only cameras that really stick to a timetable are the single-digit D series. You get a new main camera every four years, to be in time for the Olympic Games. Intermediately you may get an S version or an X version.

However, the pairing of the D4 and the D800 rather suggests that there won't be a D4X to match the D3X, because the D800 is already filling that space.

My guesses would be:
A small format D4 equivalent like the D700, in the next two years
A D800X in the next two years, offering 64 MP images.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 07-Jul-13 06:24 PM
25017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stan,

Nikon is very good at keeping secrets.
Therefore any specific information on new bodies is pure speculation.
We know that new bodies will be introduced and can make an educated guess of the model numbers and approx anouncement dates based on history. Guessing at the specs of any yet to be introduced new model is less clear.

Best Regards,
Marty

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 10-Jul-13 04:12 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 10

jacksonville, US

i tend to agree with an earlier post. with 18 different models, the market is saturated. with cell phones, point and shoots mirrorless options and cams like the lytro, the days of the DSLR may be numbered.

realistically, is there anything a D5000 can do that a nikon 1 can't do if the 1 had the same lens options?

going forward, Nikon should have three dx line and 3 fx line, an entry level A la 3000, and intermediate (the 5200) and the advanced dx (7100) likewise, a 600, 800 4 series for entry fx intermediate fx and professional grade

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Wed 10-Jul-13 06:23 PM
4446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 14

Bidford on Avon, GB

>realistically, is there anything a D5000 can do that a nikon 1
>can't do if the 1 had the same lens options?
>

Shoot in bright light.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Wed 10-Jul-13 06:39 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Any new Nikon's in the near furture?"
In response to Reply # 14

Arlington, US

realistically, is there anything a D5000 can do that a nikon 1 can't do if the 1 had the same lens options?

High ISO and shallow depth of field are the two I can think of off the top of my head. Dunno, beyond that.

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89198 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.