Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89144
View in linear mode

Subject: "Empire State Building Construction Photos" Previous topic | Next topic
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 30-Jun-13 02:31 AM
4708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Empire State Building Construction Photos"

New York, US

SImply amazing.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos
blw Moderator
30th Jun 2013
Reply message Equally amazing
largebore Silver Member
30th Jun 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
30th Jun 2013
esantos Moderator
30th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
30th Jun 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
07th Jul 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
08th Jul 2013
esantos Moderator
08th Jul 2013
JonK Moderator
08th Jul 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
09th Jul 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 30-Jun-13 09:52 AM
26734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Wow.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Sun 30-Jun-13 11:07 AM
654 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Equally amazing"
In response to Reply # 1

Clarks Summit, US

Considering the lack of safety equipment as shown from the photos this is amazing as well..
Official records state that only five workers were killed during the construction of the empire state building: one worker was struck by a truck; a second fell down an elevator shaft; a third was hit by a hoist; a fourth was in a blast area; and a fifth fell off a scaffold.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 30-Jun-13 11:32 AM
8151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

We don't need no stinking safety harness! I like the one out there as well showing a few sitting on a suspended girder while eating lunch.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 30-Jun-13 05:58 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 3

McAllen, US

Not a single hard hat either! And no steel-toed boots.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Jun-13 06:11 PM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the link.

Back then, when building bridges and skyscrapers it was expected that one worker would die for every 1 million dollars spent on the project.

Best Regards,
Marty

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 07-Jul-13 03:31 AM
3545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Augustine, US

In # 18 it's obvious the photographer had dust on his sensor! Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy!

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 07-Jul-13 01:06 PM
3045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Wow. Thanks for sharing the link. Definitely not an occupation for a person with the least bit of acrophobia.

Rocky

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Mon 08-Jul-13 05:42 PM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 7

Punta Gorda, US

>Definitely not an
>occupation for a person with the least bit of acrophobia.
>

If they had to rely on me, the King of Acrophobics, to build the building, they would still be building today. I could have never taken those photos either. The fact that I couldn't do any of it makes it all the more amazing to me.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 08-Jul-13 05:59 PM
3545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 8

St. Augustine, US

An amazing tribute to the construction workers (and photographers) who built these iconic structures and recorded how they did it.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 08-Jul-13 07:31 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 08-Jul-13 07:31 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Clyde,

Your comment made me chuckle since I am also extremely acrophobic. I get light headed just looking at people walk on high ledges. If I were tasked with building a high rise I would build one HUGE single story structure, LOL!

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Mon 08-Jul-13 07:37 PM
4708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 10

New York, US

I'm not that bad, but I'd be queasy on those open-air beams. Then there are people like Joe McNally who some years ago shimmied out onto a gargoyle that sticks out from the Chrysler building in NYC and just last month went to the top of the Burj Khalif. Me? I'd shoot it from the base and then press Upright in Lightroom 5…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Tue 09-Jul-13 11:38 AM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 10

Punta Gorda, US

>If I were tasked with building a high rise I
>would build one HUGE single story structure, LOL!

Now that's a project I could do the photography for.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Tue 09-Jul-13 01:50 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Empire State Building Construction Photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

The caption says "built in a little more than a year". I think it would take quite a bit longer today.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89144 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.