Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89125
View in linear mode

Subject: "Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?" Previous topic | Next topic
stash Gold Member Charter MemberFri 28-Jun-13 12:58 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
Sat 29-Jun-13 07:32 AM by jrp

Auburn, US

Always a lot of discussion because of "What format should I get FX or DX". Let me ask you this who has used both--Have you ever missed a shot because you had a DX or FX format?? Wish you had the other?

Thanks

Stan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?
mklass Platinum Member
28th Jun 2013
dclarhorn Moderator
28th Jun 2013
Reply message and you have no longer worryRE: Missed a shot because o...
GiantTristan Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
blw Moderator
28th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
w0gm Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
JosephK Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
HHargitt Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator
29th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
29th Jun 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
29th Jun 2013
Omaha
29th Jun 2013
MEMcD Moderator
30th Jun 2013
Drbee Silver Member
01st Jul 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 28-Jun-13 01:18 PM
5867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

No, never.

If I've planned well, I have the right equipment.

If it is more of a spontaneous shot, I usually am shooting with a zoom and adjust, or do the best I can zooming with my feet.

It's more a function of the lens than the sensor format.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Fri 28-Jun-13 01:23 PM
14263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

I've missed shots using either format. I'm always prepared, but if you're out shooting a lot, there's always some instance or situation where you don't have the proper lens for that particular shot. So, for me it's an issue with lens choice not FX or DX format.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 28-Jun-13 05:20 PM
1817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "and you have no longer worryRE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

With the D700, I always kept my D200 with the 70-200/2.8 to make use of the "longer reach" and to maintain sufficient "pixel density". With the high resolution FX cameras D600 and D800 I don't think this is any longer an issue.

Tristan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 28-Jun-13 10:21 PM
26588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

No, not because of the format. I've had the wrong equipment, and missed shots because of that. Ie, I had a camera (DX) that really needed ISO 6400, f/2.8 to get the right shutter speed. Frankly, that wasn't viable. If I'd have had a camera capable of good enough ISO 6400 (and the one I have now is FX and it will do it), I would have gotten the shots. This is motorsport at night.

Having said that, I now have both FX and DX, and I do choose my tools accordingly. I'm not afraid of DX, and I know what I can and cannot do with my DX camera. (And nearly all of its limitations are because it's an old camera, not because it's DX.) I generally pick up DX first for macro work, for birding, and FX for most other things.

One could probably claim to have missed shots because the wrong lens was on the camera, say something not wide enough on DX or not long enough on FX - but that's got nothing to do with the format, only that the wrong lens was on the camera. That happens even with the "right" format.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 29-Jun-13 12:22 AM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

I don't suppose I "missed" one, but I do have to shoot in our church, often in the evening, without flash.

I try and set-up my tripod in the balcony which gives me a good view and stability, but I am often shooting with my D90 at ISO 1600, and even at that with a shutter speed of 1/15 second -- not easy.

Being able to kick it up a couple of ISO notches would be wonderful!!!

I usually get my shots, mostly because I will take many (100+) of an event, so something comes out OK.

I have longed for the D600 for some time, but probably will never go there because of the lens costs, I currently use the kit 18-105 that came with the D90, or the 7-300 F4-5.6 -- but even if I had a faster lens I need some depth of field too.

----
Dennis Smith.

w0gm Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 12:49 AM
103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 5

Fort Collins, US

As others have said, no, not because of the format. Remember that, with the modern high end FX cameras, to get the same "reach" as a DX camera, all you have to do is crop the image. Cropping a D800 image to the same dimensions as a D300 DX frame will still give a superior image in the number of pixels and all the other important qualities (noise, etc.). I finally gave up and sold my DX camera bodies and lenses.

Not having the right lens on or not having good high ISO capability has bothered me more than any format issues.

Bill

Bill Standerfer
Fort Collins, CO

My website.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 01:50 AM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

>Always a lot of discussion because of "What format
>should I get FX or DX". Let me ask you this who has
>used both--Have you ever missed a shot because you had a DX or
>FX format?? Wish you had the other?

I would not say I have "missed" any shots, but I have had a few shots that needed alternative cropping when the field of view for the DX sensor and the 70-200mm @ 70mm was still too narrow for the close action I was shooting. An FX sensor would have helped a few times for the slightly wider FOV.

Now that I shoot mostly FX, the DX pixel density would sometimes be nice. Everything is a compromise since I normally am shooting with one body and one lens, lens changes happening only for planned reasons most of the time.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

HHargitt Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jan 2010Sat 29-Jun-13 04:16 AM
510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

I've missed more shots by not having my bag with me than not having the best body for the shot. I may have to start thinking more if the D400 comes out as rumored, if it has 24mp, fast focus and say 8fps then there will be some stewing over taking the crop body or not. Right now my D3x let's me crop an image with only slightly less pixels than the D300s, and my D800e yields more pixels than the D300s. I'd love to have a DX body the size of my D800e, using the same format controls and the above specs... Where's my pen... Dear Santa... Lol.

Happy shooting,

Howard

Will shoot for fame...fun...food... a heck I'll shoot anytime anywhere.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 29-Jun-13 04:24 AM
6597 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I've never "missed" a shot because of FX vs. DX, but a few times, if I had a different body (FX vs. DX) I might have had a somewhat better image. That said, it's really having the right lenses with either body, for a particular shooting situation, which makes a difference, but overall, I really think you can likely get a wonderful out of most every situation with thought.

I think the photographer makes the biggest difference when it comes down to it. The right body and lenses definitely count (Heck, I would have outfitted myself with much less expensive equipment if it didn't matter.), but I think the photographer is the most important, by far, in the equation of making quality images.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 29-Jun-13 08:44 AM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

No not because of the format - usually because of the poor ISO performance or more likely my own poor performance

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Sat 29-Jun-13 02:54 PM
4524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 10

Bidford on Avon, GB

I've missed lots of shots by having neither a DX nor an FX camera with me at the time.

I've never been in a position where having a DX or an FX with the appropriate lens would have made any difference. A 17-55 on a DX gives slightly more reach than a 24-70 on FX, but not so that you would miss the shot.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 04:24 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 11

Omaha, US

>I've missed lots of shots by having neither a DX nor an FX
>camera with me at the time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Jun-13 05:58 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stan,

No! I have never missed a shot due to format (DX, FX, 35mm, or even medium or large format). That said, I usually shoot multiple bodies sometimes both FX and DX, other times all FX, and other times all DX depending on the ambient conditions and the subject.
With the exception of shooting sports or action in very low light without flash, a DX body is more than up to any other task.

Best Regards,
Marty

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 01-Jul-13 12:21 AM
5720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Missed a shot because of FX vs DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

I missed an upside down and backwards shot once because I left my view camera at home, but never because of FX/DX.

I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR that amazed me when I moved from film to DX (D200). Later with the move to FX (D700), I found I occasionally wished for a bit more reach on my kids soccer field, a TC14EII fixed that.

I have a 17-55mm f/2.8 AFS DX lens that opened up a whole new world over the 18-70mm DX kit lens that came with my D200. I still use it on my D2Hs. With the rumors of a D400 later this year, I wonder if I should keep it along with the 70-200mm and rebuild my DX kit.

However, my FX capabilities are way beyond just that nostalgic reflection and neither have anything to do with me getting or not getting a shot.

When I travel, I use a DX fixed lens 35mm fov equivalent Fuji X100. There are times I miss a shot because it's not a zoom. I've come to use a Fuji X10 (28-110mm equiv fov) zoom lens compact to fill in the blanks. That camera is neither FX or DX.

So for me it's much more about proper use of the equipment at hand than the format.

All written tongue in cheek of course.

Each of the two formats have their merits and arguably one format could be preferred over the other for a particular solution, but both have been shown by photographers here and everywhere to take perfectly good images.

Best Regards,

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89125 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.