Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89031
View in linear mode

Subject: "Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower" Previous topic | Next topic
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 19-Jun-13 06:24 PM
4545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"

Seattle, WA, US

Behind the scenes video from the photo shoot at the top of the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30_b22TVY7s

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower
Covey22 Moderator
19th Jun 2013
RABaker
19th Jun 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator
20th Jun 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
20th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
21st Jun 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 19-Jun-13 07:14 PM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Very neat. Always interesting to see how Joe works - sometimes it's a whole crew, but it's those moments where he's a one-man production team that amazes and informs me about the creative process.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Wed 19-Jun-13 07:28 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

Wow. I had weak knees just looking at the video. I know that I couldn't climb out of the tower (or even lean out) to get the images he captured. Very impressive.

Richard

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Wed 19-Jun-13 07:52 PM
3722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Great video. Thanks for posting. I couldn't do this if my life depended on it.

John

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 19-Jun-13 08:39 PM
4973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 3

CH

>Great video. Thanks for posting. I couldn't do this if my
>life depended on it.

One of the comments on the Tube was "I p***ed my pants at about 2.21" (and excuse my French!). Actually, I can proudly say the same, except for me you replace "at" with "from" (and a bit before 2.21...)

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 20-Jun-13 02:20 AM
2206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Love Joe's work, this proves again he is really, really good.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 20-Jun-13 01:12 PM
6679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Very neat. Thanks very much for posting the video. I'm a big fan of Joe. I've taken some workshops he's taught about the use of strobes and other artificial light. I learned a lot from him.

I love some of the shots he took from the tower they showed in the video, but the image of the tower at night, barely lighted, looking up the tower, at about the 40sec mark really wowed me.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Thu 20-Jun-13 03:15 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 21-Jun-13 12:13 AM by plankowner110

Ohio, US

Breathtaking! I could never ever do that assignment. As they say, "If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." (or, in this case, stay on the ground floor )

If you really want to get queasy, watch this video of an antenna worker climbing a 1700' tower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlZfCSn3qqk

Bill

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 21-Jun-13 12:05 PM
6823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Joe McNally climbing the Burj Khalifa tower"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

Yeah, I have a visceral reaction to that antenna tower video every time I watch it. Nerves of steel.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89031 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.