nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89006
View in linear mode

Subject: "What's your favourite book on photo composition?" Previous topic | Next topic
Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Sat 15-Jun-13 03:06 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What's your favourite book on photo composition?"

AU

What's your favourite book on photo composition?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?
AartPapaya Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Jun 2013
Pouncer Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
18th Jun 2013
dagoldst Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
18th Jun 2013
greyface Gold Member
19th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
20th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
21st Jun 2013
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
27th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
28th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
28th Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Jun 2013
Reply message Favorite Book on Photo Composition
Rondo5570 Gold Member
28th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
28th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
28th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
28th Jun 2013
Beachthongs
28th Jun 2013
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
28th Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Jun 2013
Omaha
29th Jun 2013

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Mon 17-Jun-13 02:13 PM
2883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Why is there no reply out there? I would also like a solid book on composition, other than the internet.

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 12:20 AM
4560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 18-Jun-13 12:21 AM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

There are so many that it is hard to pick a favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=photo+composition&tag=mh0b-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=1470508623&ref=pd_sl_84v5zmgvlx_p

(1)Learning to See Creatively Design,Color&Composition by Bryan Peterson
(2)Mastering Composition by Tom Grill
(3)Mastering Photographic Composition,Creativity and Personal Style by Alain Briot
(4)Any books by Michael Freeman or Brenda Tharp

Any or all of the above

Rick

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 01:35 AM
1140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Probably Alain Briot's book. I have a couple of Briot's books and they give an interesting, detailed insight into the preparation and deliberation of professional landscape photographers. If you want landscape composition, check out Briot.

I also like books by David DuChemin and John Shaw, though Shaw's books are probably more technical than what you want. DuChemin's books are well rounded in their subject matter. Shaw's are more targeted.

Post this question in the books forum. I think Conrad Obregon has read and reviewed just about every photography book ever written. His reviews are on Amazon, too.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 01:11 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Honestly, Scott Kelby's video on composition is all you really need (Crushing the Composition). There's all sorts of rules and books on rules out there. In the end there are just some simple pointers:

1. Shoot different angles, heights, etc. until the picture "feels" right
2. Look at lots of examples of photos you really like and try to figure out why you like them and emulate the style
3. Simplify, simplify, simplify - try to make your picture say one thing if possible
4. Minimize distractions around the border

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 18-Jun-13 05:49 PM
2376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

I have not seen a good book on composition. I have examined lots of compositions by other photographers that I like to try and understand why the scene works for me.

And then, there is this - "Everything you need to know about composition and geometry of a scene cannot be taught." Henri Cartier-Bresson

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Thu 27-Jun-13 08:31 PM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 5

Springfield, US

Does Henri Cartier-Bresson have any suggestions for learning that which cannot be taught?

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Tue 18-Jun-13 06:38 PM
420 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I second the earlier vote for Peterson's book and also really like 'Visual Flow' by Ian Plant.

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Wed 19-Jun-13 04:41 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Acushnet, US

I like The Photographer's Eye by Michael Freeman.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 07:48 PM
5102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

For basic, straightforward information, Bryan Peterson's Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photograph and some of his other books.

For a much more artistic, emotional enlightenment about subject, composition, and the philosophy of photography, any of instructional books by Freeman Patterson.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Thu 20-Jun-13 03:56 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

Thank you to all that have replied. I will follow up on these references.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 20-Jun-13 08:16 PM
1352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 9

Toronto, CA

I think there are too many variables here ...

- What level are you at? (and how do you even define that)
- what kind of photography? (portrait, landscape, urban, ...)
- what kind of book? (lots of photos, lots of text, both, on-line)
- where do you want to get to? (related to the first question)

I think I would go to local book-store and browse through some and see what kind of thing you like.

I have numerous from over the last 50 years -- I don't really go back to them much (after a few years) as I am not "there" anymore.

----
Dennis Smith.

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 21-Jun-13 08:30 AM
#11. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 21-Jun-13 08:31 AM by Beachthongs

AU

Thanks for your reply Dennis.

• I consider myself as being at an advanced level. In short, I studied illustration, design and photography at Uni and went on to make a living from these disciplines for many years. I suppose I've established a degree of artistic competence with a recognised ability to visually communicate well – I'm not trying to be boastful here, just answering your question about 'how do you even define' what level you're at.

• Much of my photographic work in the past was advertising related with a clear objective: what do I want to say in this photo or illustration and how do I convey this? Nowadays, I shoot mostly character-rich urban scenes and natural landscapes. I love all kinds of patterns, textures and geometric abstracts.

• I'm hoping to find books (new or old), journal articles or online content that beginners and/or advanced users consider helpful regardless of whether pictures are displayed with the text. As a former part-time teacher, I'm still curious to understand what and why different photographers and artists find beneficial to their learning.

• Where do I want to get to? The topic of pictorial aesthetics and emotive content in imagery has intrigued me for many years. I've read several books on composition but continue searching for the bible text. My ultimate aim is to establish a universal, neuro-scientific/psychological explanation of what makes a 'great-looking' picture – having said this, I fully appreciate that I will never achieve my aim. At the very least, I will enjoy the ride and expect to gain a tad more understanding in the research process. Hopefully, this will help me improve my picture taking ability and allow me to share a few more tips with other keen photographers and artists with a like-minded curiosity about composition.

So what's your favourite book on picture composition?

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Thu 27-Jun-13 05:02 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 27-Jun-13 05:06 AM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

I don't know. I flipped through the pages of the books on Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=photo+composition&tag=mh0b-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=1470508623&ref=pd_sl_84v5zmgvlx_p) using the "Look Inside" feature where available plus whatever books are available in our local stores and found most of them quite shallow on compositional theory and foundations. Lots of good photos, yes, but not a lot of good theory. A few usual words on the rule of thirds etc. I mean, most people looking for a book on composition are already into the hobby deep enough to want to learn more, so it would be safe to assume they do understand what an aperture is, what the long lenses are used for and they have very likely heard of the rule of thirds. Peterson's book is mostly based on anecdotal evidence of how one shot worked better for the author in a particular situation. Again, a pleasure to flip through with all the good pics but not much to learn. Still looking for a really serious encyclopedic type publication/textbook on photographic composition.

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 03:51 AM
#16. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 12

AU

I've got to agree with you CaptainYooh. Lot's of books with great pictures, all very inspirational ... but rather shallow in theory. I don't blame the authors for this entirely though. Science knows little about how and why we perceive aesthetics in comparison to what artists have instinctively known for centuries.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 27-Jun-13 05:06 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I am currently reading

"The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photographs" by Michael Freeman -

got it on my Kindle but tend to read it on my laptop...

Very interesting and worthwhile

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 03:53 AM
#17. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

+1 for all Michael Freeman books.

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 27-Jun-13 08:23 PM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 27-Jun-13 09:26 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

I think that the "Kodak Library of Creative Photography: Mastering Composition and Light" is one in the series published by Kodak many years ago that has stood the test of time. While there are a lot of references to film photography in the book series, all of the books covering light, composition and related subjects are superb.

When studying composition, it is extremely important to engage in with all of the presentation-style art forms: painting, sculpture, installation, drawing, sketching, photography and theatrical set design. By absorbing the styles and presentations of acknowledged artists, we ground ourselves in all of successful compositions created by a lot of really talented people throughout the ages who've experimented to come up with so many things from which we can learn.

The point is that studying what worked for great painters, sculptors and photographers helps us eliminate most (if not all) of the poor composition choices which aren't currently working for us.

I think a lot of contemporary books on composition essentially dress up most of what Kodak published many years ago.

If you're absolutely set on a contemporary book, I really like "The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression" written by Bruce Barnbaum. He gets right to the point, his photography is superb, and he writes well. I've reviewed (literally) over a hundred photography books over the years and I think Barnbaum's is the best on composition.

The best analytical book on the subject of outdoor composition, IMO, is "Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography" (by Galen Rowell of course). It's another book that really gets quickly to the point using clear, concise language while offering superb photographic examples.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Rondo5570 Gold Member Charter MemberFri 28-Jun-13 04:37 AM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "Favorite Book on Photo Composition"
In response to Reply # 14

San Diego, US

I don't think you can beat Alain Briot's book, Photographic Composition, Creativity and Personal Style. Thorough, comprehensive, well written and beautifully illustrated. Covers composition and as the title suggests, creativity and personal style. Could be a text book on the subject. Highly recommended.

Ron

It's all about the light.

Visit my Nikonians Gallery

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 04:47 AM
#19. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"

AU

Thanks for the book suggestions agitater. I have come across those titles but will have a closer look at them.

I totally agree that we can learn from other artists such as sculptors, painters and set-designers working with different media. The elements and principles of design can be applied to many things: gardens, architecture, dance ... even music! As you probably know, Ansell Adams was an accomplished pianist and consciously applied his knowledge of music theory to his photographic work.

Learning about how other artists have solved their design problems equips us with sharper tools to tackle our own photographic artistry and promotes our ability to appreciate and enjoy the art of others even more.

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 05:48 AM
#20. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 19

AU

+1 for Alain Briot's book, Photographic Composition, Creativity and Personal Style.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 28-Jun-13 05:59 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Howard, I have just bought Bruce Barnbaum's book you mention - some amazing images in there - looks like a good read...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 28-Jun-13 03:15 PM
#22. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 21

AU

Just bought Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography.

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Fri 28-Jun-13 06:02 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 22
Fri 28-Jun-13 06:03 PM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

I bought Barnbaum's book (thanks, Howard) as well as Within the Frame by David duChemin. Both are available electronically and, upon first quick flip through, both seem to be a good read on the subject.

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 28-Jun-13 09:00 PM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"
In response to Reply # 21

Toronto, CA

>Howard, I have just bought Bruce Barnbaum's book you mention
>- some amazing images in there - looks like a good read...

That book got me thinking in a number of new directions.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 29-Jun-13 05:18 PM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: What's your favourite book on photo composition?"

Omaha, US

> studying what worked for great painters,
>sculptors and photographers helps us eliminate most (if not
>all) of the poor composition choices which aren't currently
>working for us.

It can be a lot of fun to Google up a bunch of old paintings to see how things were done.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #89006 Previous topic | Next topic