Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88999
View in linear mode

Subject: "New non Nikon DX lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Mon 17-Jun-13 01:00 PM
635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New non Nikon DX lenses"

Glenwood, US

I see that 3rd party lens makers are beating out Nikon with fast wide angle DX lenses. There is the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, and now I see on Nikon Rumors that Samyang has a manual focus 16mm f2.0 lens soon to be out. I am disappointed with Nikon's lack of offerings in fast DX wide angle lenses.

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New non Nikon DX lenses
Covey22 Moderator
17th Jun 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
17th Jun 2013
dickiederson
17th Jun 2013
ArthurNikonF
19th Jun 2013
Covey22 Moderator
19th Jun 2013
Matto Silver Member
20th Jun 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 17-Jun-13 03:01 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon has not shown the DX community much love. Even the 80 Millionth Lens Anniversary notice specifically praised mostly FX and CX (!!) formats. It's good that the third-party community is filling in the gaps.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Mon 17-Jun-13 08:32 PM
4550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

This, of course, is what 3rd parties have to do. 18-35 — 27-52 equivalent — at f1.8 is a very fast lens for a zoom lens, and will help to position Sigma at the top of the 3rd parties.

16mm at f2.0 is only so-so — it's the equivalent of 24mm, for which f2 is good, but not amazing, especially for manual focus.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

dickiederson Registered since 09th May 2009Mon 17-Jun-13 10:20 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

San Francisco, US

I just picked up a 35mm f1.8 and I love it... But it's just not wide enough!! If there was an equivalent prime lens somewhere between 18mm - 24mm, my D5100 would never leave my side. And my D200 might get dusted off occasionally too...!

www.shootingheadz.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ArthurNikonF Registered since 10th Oct 2011Wed 19-Jun-13 01:03 PM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

Worcester, US

Isn't the lack of such a product dictated, in part at least, by the limitations of the DX format itself? In general, I wish there were more DX scaled fixed prime lenses. But I know that Nikon wants to concentrate marketing, and profit, into FX.

Please read my blog (Nikon, Hasselblad, AND Polaroid), at www.arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/ Nikon D300, D40, F Photomic Ftn, FE-2, F3HP, N80, F2S

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 19-Jun-13 01:24 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Not sure that the DX format is limiting the creation of fast wide primes. Clearly with the 16-85mm DX VR AFS, a 24mm equivalent is not inconceivable. It's simply a matter of engineering. No, Nikon is just pushing everyone to FX, but that's not the answer for everyone. The manufacturing of the sensors still haven't achieved the economies of scale with FX to get to the point where we have true D3xxx type entry level cameras at the requisite cost. That's probably another 5-7 years down the road.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 01:05 PM
635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New non Nikon DX lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

The Polish site lenstip.com has a very favorable review of the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens.

Matthew

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88999 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.