nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88979
View in linear mode

Subject: "THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 15-Jun-13 12:47 PM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"

Atlanta, US

This week the US Open has returned to Merion - the site of Ben Hogan's 1950 Open victory just 16 months after a near fatal automobile crash. It's also the site of what is probably the most iconic golf photo ever created - one that is perfectly executed and captures the moment.

Here's a great article from Golf Digest.
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/us-open/2013-06/us-open-hy-peskin-fields

The story that goes with the photo is amazing from a golf perspective. Hogan was the top player in 1948. At age 35 his game was peaking and he was player of the year, leading money winner, and a major champion. A head on collision of his car and a bus left him near death with a broken collarbone, ribs, pelvis and ankle. The question was whether he would walk again - forget playing golf.

Yet 16 months after the crash, he was leading the US Open. The final day involved walking 36 holes. Hogan had to wrap his legs with bandages just to walk 18 holes - and might not be able to walk 36 holes. He had a three stroke lead going into the final round - a lead he lost. He needed a par on the 18th hole to tie and join a playoff - and the 18th was the toughest hole on the course. Hogan made the par to make the playoff and easily won the 18 hole playoff the next day.

This image is the iconic image from that comeback - and Ben Hogan's career. I can't think of a story that matches this one - and the photo tells the story in a manner that even today brings it to life.

Hy Peskin was the photographer for Life magazine that got the image. It's an image that is perfectly conceived and executed. The article does a great job at telling the story of the photo, but to me, it's by far the best and most iconic golf image I've ever seen. The context of the image, the hole, the shot, and the player tell a story in a way that is truly special.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion
reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
15th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
16th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
16th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
17th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
17th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
18th Jun 2013
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
18th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
19th Jun 2013
19th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
19th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
19th Jun 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
19th Jun 2013

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Sat 15-Jun-13 12:55 PM
10507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

Mayo, US

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/03/hy.peskin/content.1.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060401470.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hy_Peskin

Simplify

Cormorants

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 15-Jun-13 03:58 PM
3428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Thanks for the the post Eric. Ben Hogan was my hero while I was growing up. When he won at Merion in 1950 I was 12 years old and was already playing golf using clubs my Dad would bring home from work donated by his fellow workers. My Dad never played golf. I started with about 5 clubs. My favorite was a wooden shaft 5 iron.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 15-Jun-13 04:52 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

It is a brilliant image and captures perfectly a moment in time that will never be repeated.

Hogan was the ultimate golfer - he would bury most of today's golfers - the car crash affected his eyes which cost him many tournaments because he couldn't focus properly and missed putts he would have made prior to the crash.

I read a biography of him - a great American and a great golfer...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 16-Jun-13 11:20 AM
8917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

Unlike many of the iconic sports images, this one has a great deal of context. It is uniquely composed with the crowd surrounding the player - something not done today. And it is at a unique time - the final hole of a spectacular comeback from horrible injuries.

I liked the comment in one of the articles. This kind of image can't become an iconic image today. A scene such as this has so many photographers shooting from the same place that everyone gets the same image unless they mess up the shot. The images of Payne Stewart sinking the final putt to win at Pinehurst in 1999, or Tiger Woods' chip in in the Masters were seen and photographed by dozens of photographers.

I'm a huge Ben Hogan fan and have been since childhood. His work ethic and drive were quite remarkable. And I have a Ben Hogan 1 iron in my golf bag.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sun 16-Jun-13 12:17 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 4

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I once heard it said that if you were out on a golf course and there was thunder and lightening the safest thing to do was hold a 1-iron above your head, because not even God can hit a 1-iron...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 17-Jun-13 02:21 PM
3428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 5

Hatboro, Pa, US

>I once heard it said that if you were out on a golf course
>and there was thunder and lightening the safest thing to do
>was hold a 1-iron above your head, because not even God can
>hit a 1-iron...

I think that was said by Lee Trevino. He was hit by lightning once but I don't think he was holding a 1 iron at the time. Maybe he should have been.

One thing I'll always remember about Trevino. He owned a golf course outside of El Paso at one time. When I lived there my wife and I took a ride to the course just to take a look. I think that was in 1980. There was nobody there except for a foursome coming off the green next to us. In the foursome was Sam Snead. Wow. Next to the green was the driving range. Sam went over and hit some irons for about 15 minutes before going on to the next hole. We watched and enjoyed the show. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me and that was way before the time of cell phone cameras.

Len

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 17-Jun-13 07:13 PM
#7. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 6

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Now that would have been worth seeing... Slammin' Sam...

I once heard Trevino say the definition of a pressure putt was one with $10 riding on it and you only had $8 in your pocket...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 17-Jun-13 08:17 PM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I met Ben Hogan in a hotel elevator along with Byron Nelson when I was a kid and my dad had taken us to the 1969 U.S. Open in Houston. I had my tournament program with me and got signatures of both of these Texas golfing legends. Something I will never forget. I read Ben Hogan's Five Lessons a few years later and it helped shape my game like no other book. I still have that program with just about all the greats autographs: Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Casper, Player, Weiskopf, to name a few. I treasure it.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 18-Jun-13 06:53 AM
#9. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 8

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

now that has to worth a pretty penny... great family heirloom...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 18-Jun-13 12:31 PM
#10. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 8

Atlanta, US

Wow - that's a great keepsake.

I used to attend the Master's practice rounds. We'd get the autograph of every player - Nicklaus, Palmer, Snead, Ford, Burke, Trevino, Palmer, Player, Watson, etc. Never saw Hogan play but have seen and read a great deal.

The one player who was rude was Johnny Miller. Everyone else was very gracious.

Unfortunately - all the autographs are gone today. Lost with "cleaning out" many years ago.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 18-Jun-13 04:57 PM
11883 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 10
Tue 18-Jun-13 05:00 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Man, what a shame Eric. Sorry to hear you lost those autographs.

When I saw Hogan and Nelson that day they were not competing. I think they were there mainly because the U.S. Open was being held in Texas (only the third time) and I'm sure the USGA wanted them there as ambassadors. Nelson was also doing commentary for ABC at the time. I remember Nelson had a very warm personality, but a little shy. Hogan on the other hand had this very intense look in his eyes. While he was also very nice to tolerate two autograph hounds (me and my brother) you could tell he had a very competitive streak. I heard the same thing about Miller that you mention although I never saw him play. Many years later in 1985 when I saw the PGA Championship in Denver at Cherry Hills I got the same impression from Watson. Very disagreeable fellow, always grumbling at the gallery. If there was one single pro that I learned to admire it was Arnold Palmer. I saw him a second time at the PGA Championship when it was played in San Antonio at the old Pecan Valley course. He was so gracious, all the time. He seemed to really respect and appreciate the hordes of fans (the Army) that followed him all over the course. He was always good to us kids especially. A real classy gentleman.

Ernesto Santos

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 19-Jun-13 03:31 AM
6837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Eric, the second man on the left in the gallery, the one with the dark hat and the dark pants with the white shirt, holding his jacket is my dad. Hogan was his golf idol.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 19-Jun-13 01:45 PM
#13. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 12

McAllen, US

Wow, amazing Ned!

Ernesto Santos

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 19-Jun-13 01:55 PM
6837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 13

Philadelphia, US

The photo hung in my parent's den until my father's death last year. I've saved it.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 19-Jun-13 07:35 PM
5080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 14

New York, US

Wonderful — and interesting. Most people in that situation would try for Hogan's autograph. Most of us would try for Peskin's.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Wed 19-Jun-13 08:24 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: THE Iconic Golf Image - Ben Hogan at Merion"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

Very interesting article. Just read another take on it a few days ago by Joe Posnanski. It has a punchline you won't believe.

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88979 Previous topic | Next topic