nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88922
View in linear mode

Subject: "How often do you shoot?" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 01:13 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How often do you shoot?"

Knoxville, US

How often do you actually use your camera/equipment? I am guessing it would be different between people making money from their camera and those who aren't. As an amateur with a full time job I find myself not picking up the camera sometimes for a few weeks at a time (sometimes 5-6 weeks). I've been wondering if that's pretty typical or if everyone else is using their stuff more than me.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How often do you shoot?
perucho57
12th Jun 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jun 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
10th Jul 2013
archivue Gold Member
12th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jun 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
12th Jun 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
12th Jun 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
12th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
13th Jun 2013
snegron Silver Member
14th Jun 2013
14th Jun 2013
snegron Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
12travel Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Jun 2013
KerryS Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
geno64 Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
gorji Silver Member
12th Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
13th Jun 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
13th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
15th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
13th Jun 2013
KerryS Silver Member
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
AAHNikon Gold Member
13th Jun 2013
13th Jun 2013
hujiie Silver Member
14th Jun 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library
14th Jun 2013
kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Jun 2013
grnzbra Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
03rd Jul 2013
kentak Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
05th Jul 2013
cogrady Silver Member
16th Jul 2013

perucho57 Registered since 25th Dec 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 02:08 PM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

N. Miami Beach, US

I'm in the same boat as you. Between work, family obligations, and everything else going on, I usually don't get to use my camera unless we're taking a trip or for a special occasion. What's worse (or just as bad), I don't get enough time for PP either. I have pictures from a trip to Toronto in January that are not completely done, and I haven't even started with my daughter's birthday party in April. Sad, I know...

Regards,

Enrique

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 12-Jun-13 03:46 PM
1388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

I am not professional.

I guess I shoot maybe once a week for my personal things, which include family and nature.

I also shoot about once every 2 weeks or maybe a bit more often for our Church. I cover most special events as well as special services and coverage for baptisms and confirmations.

So overall I guess its more than once a week, but maybe not twice a week.

That ignores, of course, vacations and photography outings which I do 2 or 3 times a year.

----
Dennis Smith.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Wed 10-Jul-13 05:47 PM
572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 2

jacksonville, US

depends. my interestsd ebb and flow. now it's photography (again) in a few months I'll be working on a new computer build. I've been neglecting my range time due to ammo shortages, but with current events what they are I need to make time to send some rounds downrange, so i need to either take a day to go shooting or sacrifice a weekend from the camera

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 12-Jun-13 06:34 PM
5525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

Everyday...
I'm not a "pro", but do carry my camera with me, always ! So there's always something in my city that I find interesting to frame, or people I chat with...
When I don't have my camera I feel I'm missing something, when I have it I wish it would be smaller !!!

Of course a lot of those pictures don't go "front page"

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 12-Jun-13 06:49 PM
5212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I (try to) shoot for myself every few weekends, though weather and the rest of life frequently gets in the way. So a month can go by without a click. But when I find an hour or two, I might shoot fifty frames.

Every few months I shoot for (a very little) money or donate my services. But those are specific, 3+ hour shoots where I shoot 500-1,000 frames.

A few times a year I go on vacation or on a photo safari. Then there's a camera in my hand most of the day…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 12-Jun-13 08:35 PM
8310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I tend to be trending like most. Six to nine weekends out of the year, I shoot paying jobs, setting myself up for retirement. Once or twice each month I shoot for the church publication. That leaves time for about six shoots for myself.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 12-Jun-13 08:59 PM
5212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

That brings up another question: what do we shoot for ourselves?

I live in New York City, so there's nothing to shoot…

I prefer the challenge of going somewhere where I'm "given" a specific area and subject. The Moab parks, the Everglades, a vacation spot, etc. I'm artistically stunted, and this way the subject is put in front of me. Here in NYC I don't see any subjects…

Jon Kandel

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 12-Jun-13 11:13 PM
8310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

Jon,

That about says it all! If I were in NYC, I would not be able to keep my shutter silent. You probably think you've seen it already or someone else has photographed it ad nauseum.

That's the way I feel about Atlanta, so I have to plan day trips before I can get enthused about taking pictures. I love air shows, but they are few and far between, unless you can travel far.

Over Memorial Day, we got a cabin in Fort Mountain State Park and maybe I got a couple of OK shots. Even the landscapes were ruined, because of hazy conditions. Even though it was spring, I don't think I saw a single flower in the mountains.

I'm going to my family's in Conneaut, Ohio and I will try again to get a decent shot of the lighthouse or catch an oar boat pulling into the harbor.

It's tough!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 02:53 PM
7065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

Jon, I shoot in NYC about twice a month.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Fri 14-Jun-13 08:15 PM
1586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 7

Cape Coral, Florida, US

>That brings up another question: what do we shoot for
>ourselves?
>
>I live in New York City, so there's nothing to shoot…
>
>I prefer the challenge of going somewhere where I'm
>"given" a specific area and subject. The Moab parks,
>the Everglades, a vacation spot, etc. I'm artistically
>stunted, and this way the subject is put in front of me. Here
>in NYC I don't see any subjects…
>
>Jon Kandel
>A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
>Please visit my website and critique the
>images!

How ironic! I think NYC would be the greatest place on Earth to shoot! I currently live in Florida (have annual resident passes to Disney; no black out dates so I can go whenever, but mostly end up visiting twice per month). There is nothing in Florida that inspires me in terms of photography!

Regarding the OP; I find little time to shoot for fun. I have the occasional wedding or portrait session (weekend gigs), but in terms of personal stuff I might shoot once or twice per month. I purchased a Panasonic G5 kit with two lenses and an adapter to fit Nikon lenses a few weeks ago, but I have probably used it twice since then. I wish I had more time to shoot!

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 14-Jun-13 08:48 PM
#29. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 28

New York, US

My post was a bit tongue-in-cheek, though after 45 years here I do take things for granted. I do shoot in Central Park several times a year (it's across the street); and a few times a year I get up early and wander through some downtown neighborhoods.

I've shot in the Everglades and I'd love to come back!

Jon Kandel

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Sat 15-Jun-13 02:14 AM
1586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 29

Cape Coral, Florida, US

>I've shot in the Everglades and I'd love to come back!

I'll trade you the Everglades for Central Park!

12travel Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2006Wed 12-Jun-13 08:46 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Roanoke, US

I am an amateur as well. I try to take pictures at least once a day. But....with so many other obligations and running in so many different directions, I am not always taking really great pictures. I just feel like I will forget if I don't do it daily. I try to dedicate time to "focused" photography a couple of times a month.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 12-Jun-13 09:34 PM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Lightroom says that I've got EXIF associated with 1202 dates when I select images from my 4 DSLRs and two P&S. That's over about 9 years, which means that I average shooting about once every 2.7 days. This represents about 135k images, and dividing by 1202 dates says that I average about 112 files produced when I shoot. Of course, some of that is 1 frame per day and there are a few days where I shoot 1500.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

KerryS Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 10:32 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sedro Woolley, WA, US

I will shoot something several times a week. I carry my camera, a few lenses and a tripod in my truck every day. I work for a large farm operation and processing facility which gives me a few unique oportunities for photos.

geno64 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2012Wed 12-Jun-13 11:09 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

midlothian, US

Well, probably every 5 or 6 weeks or so. Not to depress you or anything, but I retired 7 years ago and my wife ended up getting a promotion so she kept working and still is. I ended up taking a job as a consultant and it turned into just about a full time job. The nice thing is, if I don't want to work, I don't have to, but let me tell you it's hard to say no to the extra cash. I've dug my own hole or I'd be out more often.

gorji Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2007Wed 12-Jun-13 11:14 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamesville, US

I tend to shoot 3-4x/week. I take the camera and have it in my hand. Then I take pictures of whatever I find interesting. My point is that if the camera is away in some case somewhere, it will not get used.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 03:09 AM
7065 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I always carry a camera with me. I end up shooting about 5 days per week. I shoot for myself 1 or 2 times per week.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 13-Jun-13 10:52 AM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 13

Oeiras, PT

Hi Nikonians,

I'm an amateur as well. I only shot for myself.
When i'm working - airline pilot - i always have my camera with me, so ended up shooting quite every working day.
When i'm on holiday/day off i try to bring my camera every day, and, in the last few months, i take only one camera and one lens (still shooting film as well.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 13-Jun-13 12:19 PM
9003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

In terms of shooting for myself, my numbers are similar to Brian.

I have about 135,000 images from the last 6 years - and 30,000+ each of the last three years. I average 2-3 days a week with concentrations in the spring and fall. Wildlife locations tend to involve higher numbers of images. Landscape and macro tend to be relatively small numbers even though it might involve a full day in the field.

Almost all my photography is outdoor nature - kind of odd in an urban environment. And I hate hot days and cloudless skies, so the summer doldrums are starting.

I like Jon's comment about having nothing to shoot in NY. There's never anything to shoot near home in Atlanta either. I think part of that's a mindset - and part of it is not really seeing the opportunity.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 01:54 PM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#17. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 15

Richmond, US

In NYC, if one were interested in, say, early 20th century architecture, there is plenty to shoot. If one is following in the footsteps of Cartier-Bresson, I imagine that NYC must be teeming with opportunity.

One of the traditional suggestions for those stuck in a creative no passing zone has been to break out something different. Usually the suggestion is a macro lens, but really anything substantially different can do it. Renting a fisheye for a weekend might help find something. Macro is a good suggestion because by definition it limits the scope of the image and because there is a surprising amount of detail everywhere.

In a thread about fisheyes a while back, someone noted that the fisheye images were fun, but that you'd have to go looking for those opportunities. Sure - but the same is true of any other photographic situation.

_____

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 13-Jun-13 12:41 PM
4904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I would say 5 days out of 7 depending on what jobs I have - if I haven't any bookings for a few days I will shoot for myself - set my self projects, update FB, my website etc.

The days I'm not shooting, I'm processing images in Lightroom and Photoshop - both current and old.

I plan to invest in a good scanner this year which will allow me to add the pick of my 10,000 slides to my LR catalogue - so that will give me even more to do...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 01:58 PM
#18. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 16

Richmond, US

It's interesting how different Alex and Ned are - they are (to my knowledge) the pros who have participated in this thread. The rest of us are amateurs. How do you guys manage to sustain enough interest and passion to do photography for yourselves as well as your clients?

I know that I'm not so interested in doing computer work when I'm not, well, working.

_____

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 13-Jun-13 03:20 PM
#20. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 18

Philadelphia, US

That's a great question Brian.

On my blog, I write about some of travel photography's non-photography benefits, and I've written in part,

"Meeting new people, experiencing new cultures, learning about our 'Blue Planet,' or viewing the infinite variety of Earth's majesty, and it's wide range of flora and fauna is an incredible opportunity for broadening one's knowledge and viewpoint."

For me, even going to another area near my home, or to New York or Washington, or to the Pine Barrens, Bombay Hook NWR, or Jamaica Bay, and all points in between, can be a real combo treat of photography and finding something new about the world and its people.

I get to do a lot of that for my work which I truly enjoy. And that's mostly a solo situation, or maybe with an assistant at times, but it's still quite solitary.

On my own time, it's different. I have a neat group of friends, and we think nothing of bopping down the road in one of our SUV's to go to some wildlife refuge, to a science or natural history museum, off to a river for kayaking, into the woods for a hike, go to a fascinating site like an old mansion which is falling apart or an old restored prison, into a botanical garden, or a national or state park, etc. I go, in part, to find something interesting to shoot, but I also go for the social side of being with these friends. We talk the whole time about just about anything, but mostly politics and the economy these days, and definitely science. I shoot and talk, while we see lots of new things, and some old, but in different situations, and the whole combo re-energizes me.

One of the things I do on my own time is offer free wildlife photo walks, which are sponsored by the local Friends group of the local national wildlife refuge at the refuge. It's typically about a 3-4 hour walk, where we talk photography generally and specifically wildlife photography, and do a lot of wildlife shooting. I do them 5 times per year. I get from 12-25 people on each walk. I drag along another photographer to help out when the group's over 15. I can tell you I likely have even more fun during the walks than the people who take the walk with me. I probably shoot less than 50% as much as I would when on my own, but I sure get a ton out of these walks. On my last walk I met a Nikonian, who I only knew from the Forums before that. It was really neat meeting him.

Things like that keep the passion and the drive up.

Also for me, at times, I get to take very special trips, such as last year to Antarctica, and later this year to the Arctic. The amazing opportunities afforded me when away like that really get me juiced up too.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 15-Jun-13 04:23 PM
4904 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 18

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Photography has been my passion since I was mud teens and I haven't really lost that - I love taking pictures and I love manipulating them - before in a darkroom now on my laptop.

I always seem to be on the look out for new ways to shoot, new projects, something new I can offer a client - or to add to my portfolio to impress a prospective client - as far as I'm concerned personally I still get a buzz after 20 odd years when I download a new set of images and think "Wow! Did I really take that?"

As for post processing it can be a chore but not often, being able to make something good from what seemingly is a mundane image is almost (and I mean almost) as enjoyable as taking the shot in the first place. As yet I haven't grown weary of photography... I'm not sure what I would do if I did... how would my life pan out day by day if I wasn't always on the look out for images? or prospective images...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 13-Jun-13 07:41 PM
6895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

A lot of really interesting replies! It's actually quite comforting to know that other working people only shoot once every few weeks or even less. And when I look at the equipment represented it is quite a spectrum. Kind of makes me think of the next kind of question:

Do you ever feel like you have too much money tied up in photography? I assume that we amateurs are using discretionary funds so it's not a matter of buying something instead of eating/shelter. Sometimes I look at how much I spent and wonder if it was a good idea...

Yet every time I think of cutting back to a lower grade camera the quality and features of what I have win out over and over.

KerryS Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2012Thu 13-Jun-13 08:54 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 21

Sedro Woolley, WA, US

>Do you ever feel like you have too much money tied up in
>photography?

My other hobby is fly fishing. I own 4 boats, around 2 dozen rods, at least twice as many reels and likely over a grand worth of fly tying equipment\materials. To answer your question precisely; no but I spend way to much on hobbies in general.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 09:03 PM
#23. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

"Yet every time I think of cutting back to a lower grade camera the quality and features of what I have win out over and over."

Exactly. Until the time comes that I cannot lift a DSLR, I just cannot see using anything other than my D800e or D3s (well, there's always the D900, D4, or D5…).

I try, I really try, to use my V1. But every time I go into the cabinet to grab it, I reach 3" to the left or the right and come out with one of the others…

Jon Kandel

AAHNikon Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2009Thu 13-Jun-13 09:35 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tempe, US

Hello All,

I am a amature working a full time job and I'm shooting something with at least one of my Nikons nearly every week since joining the photography/media team at my church. Otherwise, I always have either a Nikon DSLR, Panasonic Lumix w/TTL flash or my iPhone 5 with me to shoot at a moments notice. I beleive I am practicing for something better everytime I shoot because my attitude is that should an opportunity come I must be ready for it at that moment. Shooting makes me happy.

Does it hurt when shot by a Nikon?

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 13-Jun-13 09:51 PM
#25. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 24

New York, US

"Shooting makes me happy."

That's another truth. I shoot for myself, sort for myself, and edit for myself. ANd almost no one sees my so-called keepers except for the ones I put on my web site (which most people still don't see) or the occasional Facebook upload.

But I'm happy with that…

Jon Kandel

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Fri 14-Jun-13 03:41 PM
562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Jon:

That is right. "Shoot for Myself and Being Inspired and Creative"...

Sometime, it is hard to do.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 14-Jun-13 02:07 PM
3538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I use my cameras every day and generally with two different bodies and maybe three different lenses. I've been retired for 8 years now. Before I retired, maybe twice week, mostly work related to support my job as my company's expert witness in court.

Len

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 14-Jun-13 10:14 PM
881 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I think about shooting way more than I actually shoot. Probably like a lot of us here.

Like Jon, I work better when there is an assigned subject to photograph. The monthly Nikonians "assignments" are helpful for some assignment material. Even though I don't necessarily actually shoot for the assignment I do a lot of thinking about what I would shoot and, if an appropriate subject were to present itself then I would, maybe, actually shoot.

I live in the Seattle area and can't think of anything to shoot - that is without slogging through the morning and/or evening traffic mess to take advantage of the good light hours.

There are times I actually throw the gear in the car and go cruising around to see if I can find something that grabs my attention. Perhaps to a local waterfront park, a road (heading out of the metro area) to wherever it goes, maybe the airport down the street, or the farmers market on Tuesdays...

Anyway, I guess I actually shoot 2-3 times a month.

Hmmm. Renton WA is having a Photography Art Show in September and is looking for submissions. Sounds like a nice assignment...

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

grnzbra Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Sep 2011Wed 03-Jul-13 04:51 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 30

Springfield, US

Just about every weekend and sometimes, if something catches my eye when I come home in the evenings, I'll shoot that. But mostely it's shooting birds in the back yard. And, of course, every night, when I go around the house locking up, I have a camera just in case some critter is doing something interesting in out there, such as the night the deer was trying to eat from the bird feeder.

NYC? OMG. What a treasure trove of stuff to shoot. Have any of you gotten pix of the Grand Central Terminal Rats? Go out the Graybar Building exit and look over your head. How about the top deck of the Port Authority Bus Terminal parking garage? Great shots of the Lincoln Tunnel (Don't know if it's still there but there used to be a meat packing plant beyond the tunnel entrance as seen from the bus terminal. The building had four gigantic bas reliefs of bulls heads. Many of the drivers I spoke with had never noticed them even though they had been coming out of that building for twenty years or more).

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 03-Jul-13 06:56 PM
3365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 33

St Petersburg, RU

There is always something interesting to shoot but sometimes it takes looking from non-traditional points of view. Having a camera with you is the most important requirement and looking from a different perspective. ..
For example I am sitting in an English pub chatting up two very cute blondes and shooting from weird angles in very dim light and having fun with two very enthusiastic models.
The whole conversation started because I was carrying my gripped D800 with 70-200 and writing on my phone. Cameras are social lubricant and something everyone shares. Cell phones through high end dslrs all increase interaction between strangers. Shoot every day, you will meet more interesting people.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Thu 04-Jul-13 12:45 AM
927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 34

US

"For example I am sitting in an English pub chatting up two very cute blondes and shooting from weird angles in very dim light and having fun with two very enthusiastic models."

Sorry, I just don't believe you without photographic evidence.

Kent

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 04-Jul-13 03:26 AM
3512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 34

US

>There is always something interesting to shoot but sometimes
>it takes looking from non-traditional points of view. Having a
>camera with you is the most important requirement and looking
>from a different perspective. ..
>For example I am sitting in an English pub chatting up two
>very cute blondes and shooting from weird angles in very dim
>light and having fun with two very enthusiastic models.
>The whole conversation started because I was carrying my
>gripped D800 with 70-200 and writing on my phone. Cameras are
>social lubricant and something everyone shares. Cell phones
>through high end dslrs all increase interaction between
>strangers. Shoot every day, you will meet more interesting
>people.

There are two types of photographers...those who shoot inanimate things, and those who photograph people. I belong to the latter. Always have been into photojournalism.

(Drastic oversimplification of course, and not meant to offend anyone)

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Jul-13 12:54 PM
#37. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 36

Knoxville, US

I've kind of broken the basic subjects down by:

1. People
2. Animals or other living things
3. Still life or non-living action
4. "Artiste"

Seems to cover most things.

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Tue 16-Jul-13 07:23 PM
579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: How often do you shoot?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

I shoot just about every weekend, mostly for myself. I do various paid gigs 2-3 times per month. Sometimes it is hard to get myself out, but if I set a goal it helps. This month's goal is wildflowers in the mountains. I did some last weekend and will do some more this weekend. I live in Utah where there is never a shortage of landscape material.

Cheers!
Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88922 Previous topic | Next topic