nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88808
View in linear mode

Subject: "Staying in physical shapeas we age..." Previous topic | Next topic
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sun 02-Jun-13 06:58 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Staying in physical shapeas we age..."

Dublin, CA, US

Good Morning:

I can't think of anywhere else on these forums so here goes. Two questions.

First:
How do you stay in good to great physical shape? I'm 60, work in a fairly high-stress office, and will be retiring within one year. I want to retire with my wife, my Nikon, and a vintage Norton 750 or Harley-Davidson FXRS, checking off my bucket list of the places I want to photograph. Lately, as now, I'm sitting at my keyboard still tired (from the two previous 60-hour weeks) with stiff joints and more aches.

I want to age like the 80-year old gentleman I met on the upper Yosemite Falls trail - jogging that trail - having started physical conditioning at age 55, so he said, and not sitting in a rocking chair. My health is good to great given my age and that I've been a Type I diabetic for 50 years. I credit that to 30 minutes on a treadmill every night, and that my wife has de-fatted and de-carbed me. Also, when I go out I carry my #6 Tamrac backpack with my equipment which can be a good workout.

Maybe I'm full of it or just whining, but I'm curious at to what you do to stay in shape.

Second:
An idea for a photo contest to whom that this may concern.

A photo or series of photos based on the theme of a song or an album. I've been a listening to Neil Young's "Harvest Moon" album which addresses aging, memories, and looking back. My favorite song is "Unknown Legend", that I've quoted on these forums that speaks to four venerable American icons: diners and the world-weary or wise servers that work them, two-lane desert highways, Harley-Davidson, and the wanderlust of the open road. If we do this for that album, I suggest keeping to the theme of the album and that any models should be age 45/50 or older.

That's it. You're all a great bunch of people and I value your comments. Enjoy your Nikons and keep taking photos.

Mp

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age...
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
02nd Jun 2013
Omaha
02nd Jun 2013
dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape
03rd Jun 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
03rd Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
03rd Jun 2013
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
03rd Jun 2013
KenLPhotos Gold Member
03rd Jun 2013
reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography
09th Jun 2013
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
10th Jun 2013
reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
10th Jun 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
10th Jun 2013
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Jun 2013
OldCodger
09th Jun 2013
tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Jun 2013
dickiederson
10th Jun 2013
MasterDabber
11th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
14th Jun 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
18th Jun 2013

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 02-Jun-13 08:04 PM
11890 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I think you are already doing a great job at staying in shape. I'm 55 with Type II Diabetes and I walk three miles one day and then ride a stationary bike for thirty minutes the other, alternating those two Monday through Friday when work allows. I travel frequently so sometimes I don't get my full week of exercise in. At our age I think it is wise to keep the exercise at a moderate level, getting injured or over exerting yourself will do you now good if it sidelines you for a significant amount of time trying to recover from an injury. I also try to limit the carbs and eat mostly a Mediterranean style diet.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 09:31 PM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 1

Omaha, US

I'm 49. I try to get in a good, hard kettlebell workout at least three days per week. The combination of high resistance and aerobic effort seems to really have an impact.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Mon 03-Jun-13 12:44 PM
14362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

I'm 56 and a 13-year cancer survivor. I won't go into some of the hard times I've had in the recent past, but I'm healthy and in remission now. When able, I've always stayed in shape with at times intense physical workouts, but like Ernesto mentioned, I've learned to exercise at a more moderate level to avoid injury. On a group tour in Europe last summer, my wife and I became known for leading the way with exploring and climbing every hill and church tower available. And I still lug around my full compliment of equipment with no problems.

I mix aerobic workouts with moderate weight training. Instead of flat out running, I now do an interval type workout of walking/jogging 3-4 times a week. In between, I do light weightlifting twice a week. I've cut back on the 300lb bench press and 450lb squat I used to be able to do (in my younger days). I go for lighter weight/circuit training now.

I don't like diets or counting calories, but I just cut back and eat more "sensibly" now. For the most part, I've eliminated fried foods and soft drinks. I eat less carbs then I used to. That's about it.

Being fit is a lifestyle. It seems you're doing the right things and staying active. Just keep it up and, with a little luck on the health side, you'll also be hiking Yosemite at 80.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 03-Jun-13 05:40 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Great question Marion. Surprisingly, photography has been a lifesaver for me on many levels. When you're carrying a loaded pack in the field with a tripod, it becomes readily apparent whether or not you're in shape. Our brains often think we can scale Kilimanjaro, but our bodies tell us otherwise.

Photographing from a scenic overlook is one thing - but when you're walking the desert trail in Arizona, climbing the steep hill in the higher altitudes of Colorado, or traversing the rocky creek in Tennessee, you need to be in shape. At least for me, I can't get the shots I'm looking for by simply staying on the marked trail.

I'm 45 and have been progressively gaining weight over the past few years. Holding a similar "high-stress" corporate job doesn't help matters (along with the responsibility of raising three children). Rather than become a victim that wallows in his own self-pity, I finally did something about it.

I joined weight watchers about 6 months ago and have been walking a few miles every day over lunch. I'm eating much more sensibly now and have lost over 30 pounds. Carrying that loaded backpack is now much easier - and I'm finding that I have a lot more motivation to get off the couch (and my clothes actually fit).

If it weren't for my photography - I'm not sure I'd have the same motivation to improve my situation. Yes, it's easy to say that we'll get into shape for our kids; or because it's the right things to do for our own health. I think the idea of my own health getting in the way of something that provides me with so much joy, passion and creative fulfillment finally won out over the thin excuses I’ve been making to myself for years. Being healthy is not about being perfect, it’s about being persistent – so the real challenge will be in continuing down this healthier lifestyle, and my photography is a proving to be a strong motivator in this regard.

My daughter once told me that it’s time to do something about your health, when staying the same (e.g. being fine with the status quo) is more painful than doing something about it. Yes, getting in shape is hard work (especially as we get older) – but doing nothing about it can be even harder.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 03-Jun-13 09:01 PM
3364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 03-Jun-13 09:13 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

I have come to the conclusion that most equipment based exercise is not as effective as just leading a simpler more manual life.
By doing something the important element of balance and grace is added to the mix that anything other than free weights do not offer. As you age, free weights become more of a hazard and moderation or even light weights are much prefered to avoid joint and thinning cartilage damage.

Walking or running to the gym and not going inside, just turning around and heading back home is probably a better use of your time and money. Avoid elevators, riding mowers, even dishwashers, remote controls and other conveniences that lead to sedentary life maladies. "Easy" is not a good way to go about staying fit.
Keeping mentally fit is just as important. Retiring is the biggest health hazard to men, less so for women. The original social security tax rates were established with the expectation of 18 months of life after retirement for males. The date of retirement has been pushed back several times. But notice how creative types without a desk to sit behind do not seem to diminish in physical or mental agility that is so common with people getting older. Scientists, composers, actors, authors, photographers etc do not retire, there is no age limit and increasing mental and physical activity should be the norm with age.

I do not do any exercise, but lead an intentionally manual life and 2-3 times a week go fast energetic dancing in discos until 6am. The fact that I am 40 years older than the next oldest person in any club I have ever been to here does not cause problems at all, I am accepted as one of the kids. They often ask me how come I can stay on the dance floor for hours without stopping when they can't, I have to explain that it is practice, I have 45 years more practice than they do.
Keys to balance and joint health is keeping body weight moderate which is a hard thing to do in the US where super-sized portions are the norm and so little manual activity.
Comparing to other societies, food is consumed faster and in larger quantity in the US with average meal durations being much shorter than in EU or Asian cultures where more time is spent in preparation and a lot more time in eating. Get in the habit of eating slowly for two reasons, one it is more completely digested but most importantly, by stretching out the meal, the long delay between being full and the sensation of being full have a chance to stop you eating with less consumed. It takes quite a bit of time for the sensation of fullness signals to stop eating so Americans tend to keep eating until miserably over full when the signal is perceived. Notice how the thinnest country in Europe is the country that puts the most emphasis on food and its preparation?
It is rare to see someone under 50 who is overweight in France but they spend more time at the table or working with food than Americans. I do not know of anyone under 35 here that is overweight but for some reason, a lot of 50 year old women are overweight. As the car and convenient dining becomes a bigger part of life I notice that waists on younger people are not as slim as they where 10 years ago. Foreigners comment on that observation frequently when seeing American teen girls who have thick waists where there is little difference in size between hips ,waist and lower chest. That was not the case 50 years ago, when Americans looked like Europeans and Russians as teens and young adults. The slight thickening of waists and upper arms I notice here is in direct proportion to their reliance on cars, elevators, dining out.
If teens and 20somethings are seeing weight and mass gain, they will have serious problems later in life with weight and health. Studies indicate the late in life weight gain has less impact on health than early gains. A fat child is rare in most of the world but a fat 65 year old is common. Women in particular are less impaired by late weight gain than men. Where the weight is distributed is pretty significant in predicting health impacts. Slim legs and hips, with a large belly is a predictor of serious health problems for a middle aged man but general fat accumulation is not. Women with fat accumulation primarily in the thighs and legs seems to have no less life expectancy than slim women of the same age range of 65 and older.
So, to get in shape, is not a matter of specific exercise but of how life is lead everyday. With moderation, anything can be eaten, if active lifestyles can be maintained.
Walking is not an aerobic activity so add activities that build up heart and respiration rates for an extended period a few times a day, like climbing stairs a several flights. Jogging on soft ground, with effort to raise the knees higher than the traditional plodding jog that most people do, will be enough to get the heart pumping enough to go some good. It does not need to be long periods, just several times a day where somehow the heart rate is increased and sustained a few minutes. That has proven to be much more effective and safer than going to do a workout in a gym a couple times a week. One of the best exercises is bursts of biking up hills, even of the sustained effort is only 2 minutes. Casual cruising on the flats on a bike is pretty low in effort. You do not need a good bike, in fact a heavy cheap steel bike will be more effective than a light weight performance bike since every mile is more of task. With a heavy bike, not much of a hill is needed to be effective exercise.
Care much be given to joints, 55 is a common age for needing hip replacements from just plain old wear and tear. Working with heavier weights just stresses knees, hips and shoulders too much to risk it.
There are a lot of supplements which people start taking when they get older but there is little evidence that shows any good at all it achieved other than lightening the wallet. A normal healthy diet is all the nutrition needed for maintaining health. There $100 billion a year supplement and health food industry relies on the belief that something is missing from foods that is essential. That is not true and there is little evidence that there is anything at all to that belief, but it sure makes people selling them a lot of money.
Try living without the car for a month. Walk or bike where you need to go as a life activity, not specific exercise event. If you do walk for exercise, do it briskly or don't bother since upright balance over feet walking takes almost no effort so little if gained other than getting somewhere.

Good luck, get active.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 03-Jun-13 08:17 PM
35263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Jun-13 08:22 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You have been answered already. Let me add a recent experience.
While I was out skiing last season with my then 11 year old grandson, I saw a guy dashing by us, with a full mane of white hair coming out of his helmet and a well weathered face.
Intrigued by his superb skills and physical abilities I dashed in pursuit. I had to engage in conversation.
It really took me a while, about half the mountain to catch up.
I interviewed him on how he kept in such a good shape.
To summarize, he answered to my questions in these terms: ...

• "Most youngsters think that retiring is to retire from active life. First mistake."

• "You need to keep on going. Find something that will keep you thinking and challenged, physically and mentally."

• "Diets are not good. You have to learn how to eat rationally, without being a fanatic."

• "Exercise must become a habit, not a prescription that you may skip when not in the mood. Find what it fits you. A mix of aerobics and strength exercises seems to be best combination"

• "What kills earlier is inactivity and depression; giving up"

He turned out to be 84.
So for him I was probably one the "youngsters" he was talking about.
I am only 71.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Mon 03-Jun-13 08:43 PM
1463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

I am retired and will be 75 end of the year. My clever doctor told me to get a pedometer and register 10,000 steps a day. So late afternoons, I check my numbers and go for a walk if they are not high enough. He has one that talks to him if he is slacking off too much.

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Sat 08-Jun-13 09:55 PM
10509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 6

Mayo, US

I fit into this age group, so here are my thoughts. I don't want to be the triathlete I was two or three decades ago. However, my weight is a problem, and it impairs me. I'm "stuck", like so many people, at a certain weight. I lose it, it slowly comes back. Other than my weight, I have no health issues. Cholesterol, blood pressure, resting pulse, lipids... all good.

So, what do I do?

I eat well. Quality is not an issue, but quantity probably is. I recently read an article to this effect, namely that exercise (aerobic, anaerobic, strength, endurance...) is less of a key to losing weight than the sheer number of calories consumed per day. Is it true? Who knows? It wouldn't surprise me if next week there's another study out with well-researched data implying the opposite.

I exercise, both in the gym and on the trail. In the gym I'm not necessarily trying to gain muscle strength in any particular area, but maintain the tone of the muscles throughout my body. I've learned that I now have to limit the range of motion (rotator cuff), and weight (rotator cuff, knee) so that I don't reinjure myself. So when I do weight training it's about repetitions and possibly limited range of motion and/or limited recovery. I don't care how much I can bench press. I do care about how I can handle three weeks of hiking in Patagonia or Mongolia with my world on my back. Completely different goals.

Outside of the gym I hike. Miles and miles. Up and down, hot and cold, rain and snow, with a pack. This is the long duration/low intensity complement to the short duration/high intensity work which is normally associated with gyms, although I do a lot of work that falls in between the two. This type of exercise is more enjoyable for me, and the low intensity/aerobic nature of the activity over hours is generally accepted to burn more fat (v carbs) than anaerobic activity such as weight training, sprints, etc. This also helps me get to places where others can't go, and see things that others will never see. On this point I disagree with Stan - walking is most certainly aerobic - most long duration activities are aerobic. But generally speaking walking isn't stressful in any way unless you're just starting on long walks, steep hills, or have weak tendons. On the other side of the coin I have no doubt that Stan's dancing helps keep him in shape - I'm sure I couldn't keep up with him. 6am? That's when I wake up - probably even before!

One of the keys, whatever type of exercise you choose, is to be consistent. Missing a couple of months will set you back farther than you think. So run, use ropes, kettlebells, free weights, hike 5 or 10 or 20 miles, dance until 6am... whatever. Most importantly - be consistent.

Simplify

Cormorants

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 09-Jun-13 01:07 PM
3364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 8

St Petersburg, RU

Reuben, a meta data study last year calculated the predicted median and average deviation from norm based on total weight of food imported, grown and manufactured for various countries, minus the losses, waste and spoilage. They disregarded lifestyles, food quality, calories and only considered the amount of food. For the US, predicted weight was so close to actual per capita weight that adding lifestyle and exercise into the model did not change the predicted weight. In the US, portions are gigantic regardless of quality or care in preparation. Some of the best quality unadulterated food in the world is available to most people if they seek it out but weight is more related overall, to the quantity according to the study.

I noticed that 45 years ago when first started traveling. There was little difference between, say the French, is size and weight and American tourists. About 30 years ago that all changed and I think it has peaked and is trending down a bit. I notice weight is becoming a serious problem in the UK now. Going to a restaurant in Europe, one leaves fed and most often satisfied, in the US, eating stops when people are uncomfortably stuffed. It is habit and not genetics as many make the excuse as to why their kids are fat....something not seen much elsewhere in the world. I am told it is a medical problem, or genetics or a hundred other reasons that do not account for their cousins in the country their progenitors came from are not overweight.
It is hard in the US to eat less since portions are so large and most meals are eaten outside the home now.

Regarding exercise, it works against a person who wants to lose weight. Going to the gym a couple times a week will usually result in weight gain, because such intermittent bouts of exercise will create a higher demand for food, that does not lessen when exercise is bypassed. Doing daily activities that total the same work performed, in small doses, will have a more effective result. That and eating anything you want in moderation, but less of it. Going out and doing things that stimulate the brain will reduce the binge eating out of boredom that is common with highly inactive people. After mobility becomes impaired, mild obesity quickly grows into morbid obesity, which further reduces engagement with life and more boredom eating.

The food supplement industry is gigantic as well as the organic food distribution industries with billions in profits, yet there still is no research that indicated that any of it has any beneficial result. Vitamins are not needed, if a moderately sane diet is eaten. The problem with health fads and faux science is that it further disconnects one from seeing the direct relationship between how much they eat and their weight problem.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Jun-13 02:08 AM
35263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 14-Jun-13 10:01 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Steve,
Eating slowly and chewing at least 20 times each mouthful can trim one down quite a bit.
(When I was a kid, the rule at our table was 32 not 20)
It helps digestion and gives the stomach time to tell the brain: Hey! That's it!
I just have to remember...

I wrote the above out of breath as I coming back from walking/jogging our new "puppy", a full size German Shepherd who wanted to eat every other dog we encountered in the park no matter the size

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

reuben Moderator Landscape and Sports in depth expertise Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Jan 2004Mon 10-Jun-13 11:01 AM
10509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 13

Mayo, US

Count yourself lucky. Our dog rooted out a large snapping turtle a few days ago and wanted to pick a fight.

Simplify

Cormorants

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 10-Jun-13 12:38 PM
8920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

My approach is similar to others here. I have had an active dog for years. Right now we have two German shepherds. I walk them about 3 miles a day rain or shine. The exercise is good for me and for them. Our last dog lived to age 18.

I don't avoid exercise. I use stairs. I don't park in the closest parking space. I usually carry too much camera gear - a full pack and a tripod. And I bike occasionally - even with a camera pack and tripod if the location makes sense.

I've always tried to be active - even with a desk job. I'm sure age will gain on me, but a high level of activity is a good way to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 09-Jun-13 05:55 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I'm early in my fourth decade and work in an office. Pretty sedentary.

In my early thirties I started martial arts and I've kept that up but I don't compete anymore.

I started cycling back in 2006 and I enjoy that. I started running last year but tend to run in the late fall and early spring outside. During winter its on a treadmill where its inside and warm.

Summer I hit the pool before work and try and swim about a half hour or so.

I want to be like my Filipino Martial Arts Grandmaster, Ramiro Estalilla, Jr. who, while he is slowing down at 76 years, still hits harder than most practitioners I know. My instructor, Associate Grandmaster Ed Bansuelo is 54 year and still fast, powerful and controlled. Both are also pretty nice guys, too.

My dad at 73 was bored with retirement so he started to build a concrete block wall around the front of his property. He sub-ed out the iron work for the gate but he did all the heavy stuff. Then he faced it with brick because he didn't have enough brick and didn't want to buy more so he cut the brick he had, uniformly, to cover up the fence. Looked pretty good last time I saw it.

Everything in moderation, keeping the mind engaged and the body active seem to be the common threads.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 09-Jun-13 02:37 PM
617 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 9

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, UK

As a 67 year old I am in the middle of the range of those responding. I cannot claim to have the answer since I know I have many of the problems that others are seeking to avoid. Yes I am too heavy, yes I am often too sedentary and yes I spend too many evenings consuming calories outside of meals - one of the best ways to add the bulk that I would rather see gone.
One caution is to always work within your limits and to know what those limits are, if this means breaking jobs down into multiple sessions then recognise the need. In my case it always pays dividends with the quality of the job if I stop, rest and recover then go at it again.
After suffering back and lower body troubles for much of the last ten years I have finally obtained relief from spinal stenosis. 24 hours after the operation I was up and about with the crutches never to be used again. My hands and legs still give me trouble and no doubt there are further orthopaedic steps that I may need, trigger finger, thumb and numbness can make some activities 'tricky'.
So what can I add?
Try to manage your stress and other 'unhappiness generators'. Keep as active as you can, but above all watch the total food you eat. Eat at meals not between them and do not worry about clearing your plate - or the left overs. If you have worries, act on them and move forward, never let worries eat away at you. If you have unanswered questions work on getting the answers, the time will be well spent and not used for snacking!
Finally, always try to enjoy whatever you do, or have to do, treat tax returns, probate processing or any and all other family financial management issues as a challenge to be met and defeated. Then relax and reward yourself with some physical pleasure not food or drink!
Richard

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sun 09-Jun-13 03:17 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

I'm 66 and relatively fit for my age. My wife and I walk anywhere from 3 - 5 miles per day. We used to run but I'm finding that jogging is getting harder and the hills are getting higher. I've noticed that I'm a bit paranoid about being the oldest guy and not being able to keep up in photo workshops, so I have attempted to keep my walking up and attempt to make sure that I'm in shape. The key, for me, is to keep at it.

Tom

dickiederson Registered since 09th May 2009Mon 10-Jun-13 12:53 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 12
Mon 10-Jun-13 12:59 PM by dickiederson

San Francisco, US

This site: www.marksdailyapple.com and his book 'The Primal Blueprint has changed my life, my body and my outlook massively... It might be a bit radical and difficult for some but makes good sense to me!

(This is regarding the health issue, not the photo competition!)

Here's a recent blog entry right on the OP's topic:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-inevitabilities-of-aging-how-inevitable-are-they/#more-36844

www.shootingheadz.com

MasterDabber Registered since 10th Dec 2005Tue 11-Jun-13 08:45 PM
3278 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 16
Tue 11-Jun-13 08:46 PM by MasterDabber

Camberley, UK

I'm 66 this coming weekend... I started road cycling a few years ago and have gone from around 185 pounds to 158 pounds. So far this year I've ridden around 2,500 miles and would have done a lot more if it hadn't been for the terrible weather. My longest ride this year was 76 miles. I spend about a third of the year in France where the riding is great, little traffic and beautiful scenery. I'm somewhat perverse as I actively seek out routes that involve plenty of climbing.

I use a website called Strava to log my rides and this provides a competitive element with other riders through their segment league tables. I also ride with a club with is both social but also pushes me harder than perhaps I might when riding on my own.
I've got to admit I'm totally hooked on cycling... I happen to know my weight when I was 16.. it was 161 pounds... now, 50 years on I'm lighter than I was then. The downside is that I've had to buy a lot of new clothes.

Btw, if you think NAS is dangerous I can tell you that C(ycling)AS is just as bad

Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 14-Jun-13 12:02 AM
3574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 17

Dyserth, UK

Just seen this, made me smile. Keeping young in heart and mind to me is a duty! I'm 63 with potential memories still to come. Think young, think big, think about what I want to achieve today, not what I failed to achieve yesterday, or what I may achieve tomorrow. I cycled 3500 miles last year, fell off and broke 2 ribs, damaged my hip and kidney. Got back on when not even fully recovered and used it as a recovery aid. Keep your friends close, talk and laugh. Today my 6th grandchild was born, that is something that keeps me thinking young. So, for goodness sake, pick up the camera or what ever you choose and ring the living daylights out of it, there's no second chances. Teach kids about nature and how to respect it, leave that legacy at the very least.

In my view keep the body fit and the mind will keep fit too. Most of all, the best things in life are free so go and enjoy them.

Richard....63 going on 33

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Tue 18-Jun-13 06:03 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Staying in physical shapeas we age..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Maybe I'm full of it or just whining, but I'm curious at to
>what you do to stay in shape.
>

I'm 51, and I compete in strongman. I continually set new goals, and am modifying my training and programming to meet those goals. For example, my current goals are to break through 700lbs in the deadlift, and do 500lbs for 20 reps.

A friend of mine is about my age, and is the current US TimberSports champion, is world-ranked, and trains like a beast.

My wife, who is a few years younger than me, loves to run. She has increased her base fitness level so that she can run a 1/2 marathon with no special training, and runs 2 or more marathons a year, does Tough Mudders, and is eyeing up a 50 mile run.

My wife and I love to hike with our dogs as well. It's typical for us to walk with them several times a week, on top of our dedicated training.

I work with a lot of other athletes, of all ages - I'm part of a coaching group - and one thing I currently believe: we all need solid strength training as part of our fitness routine, and we all need to find something we enjoy so that we do it on a regular basis.

I'm glad to read that you're interested in improving your fitness level. It's never too late. One of the coaches in my group trains a 70 year old woman in weightlifting, and it's saved her life in many respects.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88808 Previous topic | Next topic