Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Cafι (Public) topic #88740
View in linear mode

Subject: "yikes..." Previous topic | Next topic
kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Thu 30-May-13 04:51 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"yikes..."

Chicago, US

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-chicago-sun-times-photo-20130530,0,4361142.story

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: yikes...
dm1dave Administrator
30th May 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
30th May 2013
esantos Moderator
30th May 2013
kidsthehall45 Silver Member
30th May 2013
avm247 Moderator
30th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
30th May 2013
agitater Gold Member
31st May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
31st May 2013
agitater Gold Member
31st May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
31st May 2013
Scotty Silver Member
31st May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
31st May 2013
Scotty Silver Member
31st May 2013
TZ750F
31st May 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
31st May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
31st May 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
01st Jun 2013
Scotty Silver Member
31st May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
31st May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
31st May 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
31st May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
31st May 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jun 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
01st Jun 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jun 2013
Ned_L Moderator
02nd Jun 2013
Omaha
02nd Jun 2013
Reply message It's worse
Martin Turner Moderator
02nd Jun 2013
Reply message RE: It's worse
km6xz Moderator
03rd Jun 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 30-May-13 05:47 PM
11505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Thats not good.

Of course newspapers in general are face an uncertain future.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 30-May-13 07:24 PM
1264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 30-May-13 07:24 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

I think we have some very unfortunate things occurring in the various media.

Personally I love to pick up a paper and read it, or a magazine. I just filled out a survey asking "would you read this photo magazone on-line" -- NO! -- I might glance at it on-line, but I want that paper in my hands so I can read it over the next few weeks until the next one comes out. Same with the daily paper -- they keep bugging me to subscript to their online version -- NO.

Printed photos are another things that people seem to think is dieing out. Are you going to hang your iPhone on your fridge to show off the photo of your new grandchild?? My daughter keeps telling me she does not care about prints, she just has all her photos on the computer, but "Dad can you print these 5 for me please!".

If we DO lose these kinds of printed media, what we perceive from day to day will diminish in its impact on our lives.

----
Dennis Smith.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 30-May-13 07:46 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 30-May-13 07:50 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Why pay for photographers on staff when there are hundreds of thousands of bystanders equipped with camera phones, point & shoots, and low end DSLRs willing to give away their captures of news worthy events for a little recognition and bragging rights. To me this is an extension of what has happened with the photo contest/competition arena. Companies sponsor the contests and then get free access to a huge number of royalty free "stock" images in the form of submissions from ill-informed photographers who give away their rights for a chance at a little fame.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

kidsthehall45 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 17th Jul 2012Thu 30-May-13 07:50 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

I found it so striking that it happened so quickly and that the entire staff was laid off. The Sun-Times now has zero photographers on staff. That seems crazy...

Joshua Williams
www.iamaprairie.com
Please visit my gallery

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 30-May-13 11:20 PM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Unfortunately, the news media rarely reports the news. I just want the facts. I don't want conjecture, supposition or opinion. I don't care what the consulting expert has to say. Too much misinformation comes out during "developing news" stories in the race to get the information out there first.

Report the news, not sensationalism. Too many periodicals lean too far one way or the other. And let's not discuss broadcast media, please.

The Tribune is using Facebook comments on stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then add your comment.

And why does everyone have to comment on a "news story?!"

Off the soapbox...I feel bad for the photographers, unfortunately, it is a sign of the times. The local paper here unfortunately several years ago said that they would charge for online content - no one was buying the paper anymore...why subscribe when you can read for free. They said they would move to a subscription based format, but they haven't yet.

I guess I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 30-May-13 11:44 PM
5983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

Given the current environment and "democratization" of photography, I am in awe of anyone that can make a full-time living as a photographer.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 31-May-13 12:54 AM
4132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

>Given the current environment and "democratization"
>of photography, I am in awe of anyone that can make a
>full-time living as a photographer.

I'm not sure that democratization is the right word. Dilution and devaluation might describe it a bit better Mick.

As print ads in newspapers have steadily declined in value as more and as more companies do their ad spends online in various forms and formats, the usefulness of the still image as a means of conveying news and information has waned somewhat. The main reason for the wane is that a revenue-generating ad can't be lucratively attached to a still image displayed online. By contrast, it's easy and effective to attach an ad to the beginning or end of a video clip online, or to insert an ad pop-up or ad bug in the video stream. So I think all the major newsies and mags that have fully migrated online are responding to ever greater demands for revenue-generating online advertising vehicles, affiliate ad vehicles, partner ad vehicles and so on.

The declining quality of the vast majority of stills published in print newspapers and print mags today, as far as I can personally tell, is all the evidence needed to see that professional still photography is being given short shrift now. Broadcasters and media/news/info outlets now brag when they get citizen-sourced video first (before the local or national competitor).

I believe that quality will always rise to the surface and assert itself, but I think we're going to have to see a much greater decline in the use of professional stills by the popular media before the general public begins to ask questions like, "I've subscribed to this new service, so why am I always seeing shaky video and poorly exposed stills? On top of that, I can't really see how the still or the video that was used actually helps tell or illustrate the story!" It'll happen eventually.

We're going through the bad part of a cycle as the traditional print media loses even more ground to the Web. All the major newpapers in North America now each have huge online footprints - I think that's common knowledge. I think we have to believe as well that logic dictates that each news/media/info company or conglomerate or corporate group is going to strip its budgets of anything that doesn't dual-purpose perfectly well. Still photographers without video chops can, unfortunately, say bye-bye.

Then again, lot of still photographers who do have video chops will be retained, but at lower rates because of the dilution. There's also a pervasive attitude inside the biggest online publishers (everyone from HuffPo to The Guardian to the private broadcasters) that if the still/video/b-roll content is just barely good enough, then it's good enough. There are plenty of exceptions - that's not the rule yet - but for now we're headed that way. It's a race to the bottom in many news & info sectors.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 31-May-13 12:58 AM
5983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

"I'm not sure that democratization is the right word. Dilution and devaluation might describe it a bit better Mick."

I was just trying to be nice!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 31-May-13 01:03 AM
4132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri 31-May-13 01:03 AM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>I was just trying to be nice!

Meh! Forget about nice. Join the race to the bottom instead. You never know - you might find some quarters under the seat cushions. Now, with just a few quarters, you can buy all the stock photos you want. Indeed how times have changed.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Fri 31-May-13 01:13 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 6

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Hey Mick,

<<… I am in awe of anyone that can make a full-time living as a photographer. >>

I, for one, can no longer make a full-time living as a photographer. And exactly for
the reasons Ernesto and you, among others, have brought up.

Let's be honest: the money I earn with photography is still good. I could live with it if I
was not forced to extend my capacities where the amateurs can't go. I have to use all
the tricks in the book and the combine resources from knowledge, experience, and
money to stay ahead! I don't have to borrow money to buy new gear, they do!

If I still want to live as a photographer, I must invest in more serious gear, time, new
approaches, etc. It takes less time to make the same money and there are less clients
who can afford or demand this new work. And all the while, the investment needs longer
to amortize, and there is less hours booked, and I must raise my hourly rate.

I don't do weddings, schools, and others, because there are too many "photographers"
on the market and they can't do a full time living with it. I must fly very high to stay out
of their reach.

For these reasons and quite a few more, I write (and shoot) books, publish them along
with those from different authors, and I never stopped to teach.

A great advantage I developed over the years is the vertical production and integration
of many resources. For my sons to take over in a few years, they must learn what I took
a career to learn and build. One goes in a photography and art school and the other in
a design and typography faculty, they both must have the same qualifications but via
different ways and through other studies and diplomas.

All together, I make a good living, can raise and educate my two sons and I still have
some plans…

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 31-May-13 11:48 AM
4833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 10

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Some great shots on your website Daniel - just a shot in the dark... are you related to Francis Ouimet?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Fri 31-May-13 11:50 AM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 13

Montrιal, (Qc), CA

Nope! All I have in this world are my sons!

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Mιdia
www.kodiakmedia.at
Photography • Design • Typography

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
In photography, light is free but catching it is not!
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 31-May-13 11:43 AM
4833 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 5

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I'm with you there Anthony...

or

Check out my website...

LIKE me on Facebook

Follow my blog...

Look me up on Flickr...

Alex

TZ750F Registered since 06th Nov 2012Fri 31-May-13 08:29 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Brisbane, AU

Thom Hogan has an interestingly different take on it here http://bythom.com/index.htm

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Fri 31-May-13 12:14 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 11

Plano, US

I think Thom generally has it right, but I don't agree with him that newspapers can be turned around with better content. Disregarding for a moment the causes of their slow decline, consider this:
I am an adjunct lecturer in the business school of a sizable university here. When I was in business school, it was common to see students reading the Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Forbes or Fortune between classes. Such reading was strongly encouraged. In the four years I've been teaching here, I've never seen a student hold a newspaper or print magazine of any kind at any time.
They do spend a lot of time with social media. I can see the future clearly now.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 31-May-13 02:23 PM
2165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 16

Little Rock, US

>When I was in business school, it was common
>to see students reading the Wall Street Journal, Business
>Week, Forbes or Fortune between classes. Such reading was
>strongly encouraged. In the four years I've been teaching
>here, I've never seen a student hold a newspaper or print
>magazine of any kind at any time.
>They do spend a lot of time with social media.

Are you saying that students never visit news sites on the Internet then? Only social media?

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Sat 01-Jun-13 11:36 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 17

Plano, US

The students do visit news sites online. I was saying that the hardcopy part of publishing is not part of their reading -- textbooks excepted, or course.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 31-May-13 03:57 PM
#18. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 16

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

My wife reads a daily paper on an Ipad; I read a daily paper on a kindle. Both require decent quality images...

or

Check out my website...

LIKE me on Facebook

Follow my blog...

Look me up on Flickr...

Alex

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 31-May-13 04:07 PM
2165 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 18

Little Rock, US

Scotty,

I read online paper with my SIII as well, but that was not what I read in Lynn's post - I may have misunderstood.

David

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 31-May-13 12:11 PM
#15. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Sad situation to hear about. I believe the The NY Times soldiers on with staff photographers and reporters, owned by a single family that can decide to buck trends. I support them with a subscription.

I think Hogan's commentary on this is appropriate - Newspapers are more focused on ad revenue than content and until they get why we read news, either online or printed, they will continue to spiral down to mediocre content.

I personally don't care for getting anything other than a quick breaking news story from sources like CNN. Instead, I prefer to read a variety of sources on any more complex issues we face and I personally do rely on trained journalists and experts for informed opinion columns, (that are clearly marked AS opinion), to get different perspectives. Giving somebody straight news without perspective would lead to the proposition that we all know everything, and need "just the facts ma'am". That is just not the case in a world as complex as ours with so many people not having the time to investigate every important issue.

For instance, Hogan's commentary that I referenced above. No doubt in my mind it is informed opinion and I believe I agree with him.

David

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Fri 31-May-13 06:00 PM
4550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

This was always coming.

Note that they don't say that they plan to use 'citizen-journalists' (aka tourists with cameras) but freelancers and writing-journalists.

The truth is that news photography has always been a case of 'f8 and be there' (or f16 if you were more cautious). Back in the day you had to shoot a whole roll of TMAX 400 pushed to 6400 to be sure of getting the shot you needed — and even then it was down to the skill of a photographer to 'know' that they had nailed it. Being present and getting some kind of a shot has always been the name of the game in news photography. Now, because less training is needed to know that you have a useable shot, journalists are just as able to catch the 'there at the time' shots that they need to illustrate stories.

Newspapers have always printed photographically inferior but more newsworthy shots. It's been down to magazines to give prominence to the more perfectly photographic.

From my point of view, the more ordinary the pictures that appear in newspapers, the more mine will stand out — and so will anybody's who carefully sets up shots or keeps shooting until they have captured something which is excellent.

Online advertising is actually a mirage. People only have a certain amount of 'mindspace' for advertising. In an overcrowded medium such as online, every advert stands out less. Print survived the onslaught of TV, and it will survive the onslaught of online.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Fri 31-May-13 11:25 PM
#21. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 20

Little Rock, US

>Note that they don't say that they plan to use
>'citizen-journalists' (aka tourists with cameras) but
>freelancers and writing-journalists.
>
So Magnum and Getty type organizations?

David

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 01-Jun-13 12:19 PM
#23. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 21

Toronto, CA

>
>>Note that they don't say that they plan to use
>>'citizen-journalists' (aka tourists with cameras) but
>>freelancers and writing-journalists.
>>
>So Magnum and Getty type organizations?

No - the quote was "freelancers and writing-journalists." That means independent freelance photographers and independent freelance writers and independent freelance videographers. Individual contractors rather than employees. Employees require tax deductions, administration, pension plans, unions, etc., etc., etc. - all of the traditional employment overhead. Individual contractors, on the other hand, are only paid for any of their submissions which are actually used by the publisher. It all amounts to significantly lower costs for the publisher.

Magnum and Getty are stock media agencies. When publishers need a photo or video clip of a celeb or politician or monument or site or city skyline, etc., etc., which doesn't exist in their own archives, they often turn to the stock agencies. There is no way that a stock agency will ever have a photo or video clip of a local traffic collision, or a photo or video of a local weather event as it happens, and so on. Stock agencies have existed for generations and now have enormous libraries, but they don't have anything about what happened in your neighbourhood or elsewhere in your city last night.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 01-Jun-13 06:32 PM
#24. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 23

Little Rock, US

>There is no way that a stock agency will ever have a photo or video clip of a local traffic collision, or a photo or video of a local weather event

Good point, I was thinking of more international type stories, rather than local stuff.

David

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 01-Jun-13 07:27 PM
#25. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 24

Toronto, CA

>>There is no way that a stock agency will ever have a
>photo or video clip of a local traffic collision, or a photo
>or video of a local weather event
>
>Good point, I was thinking of more international type stories,
>rather than local stuff.

Same thing applies, David. A stock agency may have a "Riot" category, but it is unlikely to have anything in it from this morning's riot (I'm sure there was one somewhere or other this morning), or the riot happening right now (wherever).

I'm intrigued though, because implicit in your thinking is the idea that a couple of the stock photo & stock video agencies might, at some point soon, start thinking of themselves as (at least) potential regional news & events media clips and stills suppliers. If the stock agencies start actively soliciting clips and stills of same-day current events, that will be the first hint of movement in that direction and then the ground rules will change yet again.

To a stock photographer or stock videographer who is supplying good quality work to a stock agency, it's a short hop to start shooting current events as opposed to stock categories. Less travelling involved too. Then again, those stock shooters will suddenly find themselves bumping ugly with experienced PJs and VJs who already have territories staked out. Then again too, the stock agencies might naturally ignore their regular stock shooters in favour of current news & events clips and stills submitted by all those laid off PJs and VJs.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 02-Jun-13 01:16 AM
6665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 24

Philadelphia, US

Among the things I do is cover news as a stringer-photographer. I sometimes, but rarely come upon a breaking news scene myself. I get assignments. Many news organizations went to stringers because they're cheaper; no benefits, health insurance, retirement plan, etc. I'm also a freelance travel writer, with again the same thing about benefits. This saves the companies a ton of money. There are many of me around. The trick for the photographer is to find multiple jobs, and that's not easy. We're used to working, but not marketing ourselves. It's quickly becoming today's business model for more and more journalists. I've found my writing has led to more photography work than other avenues these days.

I do run into stock photographers from time to time, and while some are good, many aren't and many are giving away the images for recognition, in hope of a career later on. Whether they will succeed is an unknown based on the stock image structure, but I don't think many will thrive from that base. I have my own stock, but don't sell to stock companies.

I agree with Thom Hogan about quality, about how it's dropped, and how the newspapers, in particular have forgotten that's what drew people to read the ads in their newspapers. Why do a few newspapers stand out among the rest and continue to do far better than others? I think it's quality.

Too many local big city newspapers have decided to compete with the TV stations. I doubt they will succeed in that endeavor. They're not equipped. Moreover, while video can do many things well, there continues to be plenty of room for still photography which can freeze a scene and tell a story from a point of view, unmatched by a moving image.

Personally, I couldn't care less whether I'm reading a newspaper story on my iPad, or on my computer screen, or by holding some paper. If Thom is talking about how quality can save the typical "print" newspaper, then I'm not really with him on that. But if Thom is talking how quality can save the newspaper as the kind of medium which gives more depth of coverage than TV, then I agree with him. The screens and the paper are reading tools. I do care about the quality of the images in the newspaper, and of the words, and of the article/story/opinion content. I continue to think there are still many, including most young people I know, who also care about those things, including many college students.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 02:01 AM
545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: yikes..."
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

This story makes me sad, since I started out as a student photographer for the University of Nebraska-Omaha "Gateway" newspaper in the early 1980's. As with many things, I realize now how little I appreciated those years.

I started out shooting football games, and then they started giving me editorial assignments like "Go get a shot of this professor at his desk" or "go down to the pottery lab and get some shots of them in action". If my brief career as an unpaid student photo-journalist has a high-point, it was when I was sent downtown to cover President Reagan's visit. (True story: While on the photographer's stand I was inadvertently kicked in the back by non other than Andrea Mitchell, who seemed a little peeved that I interrupted the motion of her foot).

Give me my K-1000 and a pocket full of Tri-X, and I'd get you the shot!

Regarding quality, I had an experience this last week that tells the story of "quality": A few months ago I picked up a well-worn Mamiya RB67, and have been playing with it off and on since. Last weekend I brought it with me over to my mother's house for a pool party, and took a bunch of shots of my nieces and nephews and various other kids. The camera is still new to me, and with my failing eyesight I'm struggling to get it focused. Plus I found a light meter app for my Droid I wanted to try out. Anyway, plug all that together and I ended up with this :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12892001@N02/8906038622

(I'm new to flickr. I hope you can see the shot from that link.)

Not a bad exposure, but I missed the focus a bit. Or maybe I nailed it and its just a bad scan from my processor. Either way, its disappointingly soft to my eye.

And it picked up about 500 "Likes" on my Facebook page. The baby is my granddaughter, and the shot has practically gone viral in my limited circle of friends and family.

Point being while I look at it and all I can see is how agonizingly close I came to getting my first true "keeper" off the Mamiya, everyone else just sees an uber-cute baby.

I guess if I have a point in all this rambling its that "we" have exceptionally high standards for photographs relative to the general public. If I owned a newspaper, I'd probably make the same decision as the CST. With everyone in the world running around with an iPhone, NOTHING newsworthy happens without someone catching it. Better to work out some systematic way to collect those photos/videos than pay a staff of guys to go out and take your own, even if your staff generally produces technically better work. Your readers won't care.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Sun 02-Jun-13 02:40 PM
4550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "It's worse"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

It turns out they are training their journalists to use iPhones for the pictures, according to CNN:
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/us-newspaper-replaces-photographers-with-iphones-50011384/?

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 03-Jun-13 10:18 PM
3346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: It's worse"
In response to Reply # 28

St Petersburg, RU

Maybe news will get so bad that people start paying more attention to their own home, neighborhood and country, where events actually impact their life and they have some degree of influence on it. The demise of the local paper and local content has been due in part by the increased focus on news from a distance about topics of no real importance to the person fixated on it, as their own actual neighborhood deteriorates from lack of attention.
But what really is turning off buyers is that newspapers require too much work, reading is not fast enough, simple enough or flashy enough to compete with web and TV.
It is telling that the information presented is becoming poor, in fact harmful. Trained journalists have been replaced by stringers who know their stories will get picked up if they are controversial, scandalous or flashy and that no one will check or request second sources. So junk is published as news. Ask anyone living in countries where the only western sources are local stringers to compare what was written and what really is going on and it is obvious the story was jazzed up to sell, not inform.
A good case in point is here in Russia. There are no western network news staff here now like there was in the Soviet period so as a result the stringers have filled the void with total garbage after they discovered what western editors are really interested in. They were emboldened by discovering the editors never checked or cared whether something is made up or a disputed opinion.
Consuming western news makes people less informed, as numerous studies have shown.
I run a monthly expat young entrepreneur group club here with 375 members from all over the world and this subject comes up often where they see the vast difference between facts on the ground and how lazy, dishonest and inept the articles generated for consumption in the west, are. So apparently publishers do not care if they are spreading rumors or error filled articles as long as they are popular.

For the good they do, I would prefer if all of those "news" outlets go bankrupt, we would be better informed. They have no real reason to exist anymore and are not useful except to confirm someones prior opinions which were probably formed via just as faulty articles in the past.
If they went back to reporting on the local Little League scores or the library bake sale, they might do some good.
With no editorial oversight on the web accuracy is measured by popularity of news rather than factualness.
It has gotten to the point that facts are trumped by opinion every time and no one seems to notice or care.
It is unfortunate that the staff was let go, probably just before pensions were qualified for, but they must have know they were not needed anymore.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Cafι (Public) topic #88740 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.