Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88701
View in linear mode

Subject: "OT: Re Speed Issues with this site" Previous topic | Next topic
GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 28-May-13 03:13 PM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
Tue 28-May-13 03:19 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

Hi. Please move to the proper location. I am asking Nikonian members this rather than Customer Service. I constantly have speed issues with this site and get the message "Waiting for Nikonians.org. Often the only way I can get into a Forum is to click on the name again before it times-out (Nikonians.org took too long to respond). Customer Service says clear the memory, cookies, etc. I have done that and have no problems with any other site.

Now, I am trying to add a 1200x1200 photo attachment to a post. That looks straight forward and it works perfectly until after I click Upload. It says it has uploaded 100% but then never adds the file to the Attachment text box. The problem is that I always time out on this site if doing anything that takes more than a second. I have the fastest commercial Dell Desktop made with 16GB RAM and I still constantly time out on this site. It just displays " Waiting for Nikonians.org" Clean-disk and all that has been done ... Is there something in my own set up for this site that could be wrong?

Where should I have asked this question? Thank you ...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site
olivierrychner Gold Member
28th May 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
28th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th May 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
28th May 2013
NikonMark37814
29th May 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
29th May 2013
brooksro Silver Member
30th May 2013
Asgard Administrator
30th May 2013
ajdooley Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
GaryPk Silver Member
02nd Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
03rd Jun 2013

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 28-May-13 07:17 PM
4992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Hi!

Can't help you about the connection - but maybe the fact you're in Colorado and the Nikonians.org servers are in Germany is the beginning of an explanation. Even at warp speed, the Atlantic is a big pond to swim across

Now about the picture. Let me first check if I understand you correctly: you are trying to upload a 1200*1200 image directly to a message, is that correct? If so, make sure the "weight" of the image is within the allowed maximum, which I think is about 300kB.
And maybe upload it to your gallery first, and then link to it by right-clicking on the biggest display size, copying the image URL and pasting it into any message in any forum - Nikonians or elsewhere.

Finally, but maybe foremost, make sure your firewall is set up so Nikonians.org is entirely allowed.

Hope this helps!

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Tue 28-May-13 10:30 PM
491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 2

Bailey, US

Hi. Thank you ... I ran Registry Cleaner and it worked !

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 29-May-13 06:25 PM
26437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Gary,

Glad to here you got the issue figured out.

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 28-May-13 11:31 PM
3088 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Glad you had some success. I knew there had to be something going on with your computer or your connection. I'm in Tennessee, and rarely have any issues with this site, even on my oldest/slowest PC.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Wed 29-May-13 12:16 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 4

Morristown, US

I too live in Tennessee and experience no issues. Could the problem be with your internet provider? My modem sometimes slows down after a storm but at some point the next day I'm back to fast service.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Wed 29-May-13 01:59 AM
#6. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 5

Bailey, US

Hi. Thanks. It was apparently a problem with my Registry. See my post just above. Gary

brooksro Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Thu 30-May-13 07:02 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Hi. Please move to the proper location. I am asking
>Nikonian members this rather than Customer Service. I
>constantly have speed issues with this site and get the
>message "Waiting for Nikonians.org. Often the only way I
>can get into a Forum is to click on the name again before it
>times-out (Nikonians.org took too long to respond). Customer
>Service says clear the memory, cookies, etc. I have done that
>and have no problems with any other site.
>
>Now, I am trying to add a 1200x1200 photo attachment to a
>post. That looks straight forward and it works perfectly until
>after I click Upload. It says it has uploaded 100% but then
>never adds the file to the Attachment text box. The problem is
>that I always time out on this site if doing anything that
>takes more than a second. I have the fastest commercial Dell
>Desktop made with 16GB RAM and I still constantly time out on
>this site. It just displays " Waiting for
>Nikonians.org" Clean-disk and all that has been done ...

Is there something in my own set up for this site that could
>be wrong?
>
>Where should I have asked this question? Thank you ...

I am experiencing the same issue. The page times out and requires a refresh.

MrB

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 30-May-13 08:24 PM
51756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

It's always important to clean the system from time to time

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

ajdooley Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 02-Jun-13 09:19 PM
1801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 0

Waterloo, US

Gary -- With my non-technical insight, it could a problem with Colorado being in the mountains -- and it is uphill to your PC!

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

GaryPk Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012Sun 02-Jun-13 09:37 PM
#11. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 10
Sun 02-Jun-13 09:40 PM by GaryPk

Bailey, US

Yes Alan, that was it. Moved my PC to the basement and installed a signal pump ... problem solved. Even the deer are smiling ... Now if I could just find the golden light.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 03-Jun-13 08:32 PM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: OT: Re Speed Issues with this site"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

If you notice slowing, and want to see if it is internal or external to your computer and local network, try running a TraceRoute
For example for Nikonians.org: http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=trace&host=213.221.117.74

That will tell you each hop to the Nikonians.org server in Germany and the timing for delay in each hop. It is not unusual to have 10-14 hops, and any one of them might be introducing a longer delay than normal.
I noticed today that for about an hour I could not get the server at all. I am not too far so it takes 8 hops and 123 ms.
I have a dedicated server, for my travel business, that is located in a high end data center in NJ USA and it is 12 hops from St Petersburg with a total average time of 41 ms. which is very good. But slow compared to such mega data pipes as maintained by Google which has a traceroute of 1 ms and 6 hops.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88701 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.