Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88627
View in linear mode

Subject: "The handicapped photographer" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 23-May-13 09:54 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The handicapped photographer"
Thu 23-May-13 09:59 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

This topic may have come up before - if so please point me to it and/or add comments to this thread.

Background: 2 weeks ago I was told I have a severe stress fracture in my left knee and must stay off it for many weeks in the hope it will self heal and avoid knee replacement surgery. I am using a walker and sometimes crutches. This experience has touched me on two fronts. One is I now have a far better understanding, and empathy, for truly handicapped people and the way they can be treated by retailers etc.. (a different story)

Secondly, it has had a deep impact on my photography. Just when I thought I was mastering the basics of digital I now find myself trapped in the mechanics of how best to hold the camera, whether to shoot from the car or? How to stand on one foot behind the tripod and bend, albeit ever so slightly, without tipping it and me over (happened once ), Fortunately I wasn't on the edge of a cliff, at least not literally. Finding something solid to lean against because even at high shutter speeds suddenly hand held camera shake/maintaining focal point has become an issue and everything takes 3 times as long as before, and so on. These have become so overriding that I often forget, or miss, what my original intention was! So much for my professed "being in the now . At least I know that one way or the other my experience will pass.

So, I wonder are there folks out there who have or are going through this handicappped (mine is minor by any measure) stuff and, if they care to share their stories, how have/do they cope as photographers? Also I am unaware of any handicapped and notable photographers so leads are appreciated.

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The handicapped photographer
RidinRev66 Silver Member
23rd May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
23rd May 2013
RidinRev66 Silver Member
24th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
24th May 2013
jrp Administrator
24th May 2013

RidinRev66 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2006Thu 23-May-13 10:49 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The handicapped photographer"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-May-13 10:50 PM by RidinRev66

Albuquerque, US

Jeff,
I use a wheelchair and do photography. For a lot of my work a zoom lens helps me get the framing the way I want it. If I need to stabilize the camera, I use a monopod. It is just too hard to maneuver around a tripod. You have to be creative to work around some of the obstacles life presents, and I have gotten pretty good at doing that over the past 19 years. Thanks for mentioning your "better understanding." A lot of people just don't get it! Oh, one more thing, if I need help I will ask for it. Too many people fall all over themselves trying to be helpful and just get in the way. I guess I am just an ornery, independent cuss!

By the way, I shot my avatar with a D200 and 70-300mm VR lens!

Phil
FM2N, FE2, FA, F3, F100, D80, D200

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 23-May-13 11:08 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The handicapped photographer"
In response to Reply # 1

Waynesville, US

Thank you Phil, is that "hear no evil"

Geoff

RidinRev66 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2006Fri 24-May-13 02:16 AM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The handicapped photographer"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Yeah, I guess it would be. I like this guy and take his photo regularly. He has real personality!

Phil
FM2N, FE2, FA, F3, F100, D80, D200

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Fri 24-May-13 12:30 PM
#5. "RE: The handicapped photographer"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Thanks JRP. Another problem I encounter is the D90 banging on my chest if I have it around my neck, more so with the walker than crutches, so a harness and/or diagonal over the shoulder strap are in my future.

Geoff

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 24-May-13 08:19 AM
34330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The handicapped photographer"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-May-13 08:23 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Decades ago I had a motorcycle accident.
My 1300cc Kawazaki decided to rest on my left foot and broke it in two places.
I was on crutches for at least 4 months but had my camera on my neck most of the time.

It was easy then, with film cameras that were really light, I cannot remember having much of a difficulty.
My longest lens was a 100mm and was always using Tri-X (400 ASA).
That gave me no problem with shutter speeds; no tripod was used.

So, pump up the ISO.
Worst comes to worst you'll have to deal with noise but that's better than falling over a fracture.

If you use crutches, with your monopod you make a tripod.
And shoot from where you stand or sit.
No need to risk it finding the best possible perspective.
There will be time for that later after you heal properly.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88627 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.