nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

The handicapped photographer

limeyzen

Waynesville, US
391 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011
Thu 23-May-13 09:54 PM | edited Thu 23-May-13 09:59 PM by limeyzen

This topic may have come up before - if so please point me to it and/or add comments to this thread.

Background: 2 weeks ago I was told I have a severe stress fracture in my left knee and must stay off it for many weeks in the hope it will self heal and avoid knee replacement surgery. I am using a walker and sometimes crutches. This experience has touched me on two fronts. One is I now have a far better understanding, and empathy, for truly handicapped people and the way they can be treated by retailers etc.. (a different story)

Secondly, it has had a deep impact on my photography. Just when I thought I was mastering the basics of digital I now find myself trapped in the mechanics of how best to hold the camera, whether to shoot from the car or? How to stand on one foot behind the tripod and bend, albeit ever so slightly, without tipping it and me over (happened once ), Fortunately I wasn't on the edge of a cliff, at least not literally. Finding something solid to lean against because even at high shutter speeds suddenly hand held camera shake/maintaining focal point has become an issue and everything takes 3 times as long as before, and so on. These have become so overriding that I often forget, or miss, what my original intention was! So much for my professed "being in the now . At least I know that one way or the other my experience will pass.

So, I wonder are there folks out there who have or are going through this handicappped (mine is minor by any measure) stuff and, if they care to share their stories, how have/do they cope as photographers? Also I am unaware of any handicapped and notable photographers so leads are appreciated.

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: The handicapped photographer

G