Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88527
View in linear mode

Subject: "What would you bring?" Previous topic | Next topic
stash Gold Member Charter MemberMon 20-May-13 06:08 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What would you bring?"
Mon 20-May-13 06:14 PM by stash

Auburn, US

Say you were going on a Vacation to Florida, Hawaii, Carribean, etc. and the night before your SLR broke. What compact camera or other non-dslr camera would you want to get in an emergency?

Nikon, Canon 100s, Olympus 0m-5, Fuiu X100s--just curious if you had a choice,
not just these but ANY other one.

Thanks

Stash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What would you bring?
2pixels_short Gold Member
20th May 2013
Wingman Silver Member
20th May 2013
f11 Gold Member
20th May 2013
stash Gold Member
20th May 2013
Covey22 Moderator
22nd May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
22nd May 2013
Asgard Administrator
20th May 2013
blw Moderator
21st May 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
21st May 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
21st May 2013
mquinn55
22nd May 2013
snegron Silver Member
23rd May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
23rd May 2013
jrp Administrator
24th May 2013
Fovea Gold Member
24th May 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
24th May 2013
Floridian Silver Member
30th May 2013
furbs
30th May 2013
autoexer Silver Member
17th Jun 2013
nwcs Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
pdekman Gold Member
18th Jun 2013
Matto Silver Member
20th Jun 2013

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Mon 20-May-13 08:05 PM
863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

Seeing as how I have three DSLR and four SLR bodies it would have to be one hell of a coincidence for all of them to belly up at the same time.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Wingman Silver Member Awarded for sharing his excellent work and continued contribution to the forums, most notably at the Aviation forum. Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2002Mon 20-May-13 08:40 PM
1163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kimberley, CA

Same here. If I had to carry a non-SLR, though, it would be my Nikon P7100 -- because that's what I have and it does a serviceable job. Not like a real camera (D3, D800), though...

Neal Nurmi

---Wingman Photo---

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Mon 20-May-13 08:39 PM
770 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 20-May-13 08:49 PM by f11

Tulsa, US

You didn't say if this is a hypothetical situation and what your budget is. And why a compact? I would be inclined to grab a D5200 as the lenses I wanted to use would work. IF I had the money I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade my DSLR. If not, I would grab my Coolpix P7000, which is my back up camera anyway. Them I wouldn't have to fumble around learning a completely new menu system from a different manufacturer while on the trip of a life time.

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

stash Gold Member Charter MemberMon 20-May-13 08:43 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 2

Auburn, US

OK----Let me do a re-write:

What you you bring to the Trip in a compact?

Thanks to all

Stash

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 03:00 PM
10581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Nikon V1 or V2. 10-30, 30-110 and the new 18. Throw in one of the compatible external Speedlights. All fits in a pouch holster takes up very little space. Done.

Alternative - any Olympus EP body (there's a lot of variations) with Panasonic primes.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 22-May-13 09:09 PM
6599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

When I travel, as travel photography is my business, even when I'm on vacation, I travel with at least 2 of my 3 DSLR's. One never knows what you might run into.

As to a compact I'd bring, if...

I'm getting my wife a Nikon 1 V2. I seriously considered getting her a Fuji X-Pro1 for her, but decided on the Nikon. So, if I was going with a compact, that's what I'd get.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 20-May-13 09:45 PM
50351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Best P&S seems to be the Sony DSC-RX100 at the moment.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 21-May-13 11:32 AM
26594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If this were not hypothetical, the answer of course would be the Fuji x10 that is sitting right next to my elbow as I type this. If I were hypothetically buying something new, it would be down to the Fuji x20 or a Sony RX100. I personally would lean toward the Fuji, but I'd certainly be entertaining the Sony. I don't see any of the other compacts that I'd want to have right now.

If the question means to include larger cameras with interchangeable lenses, I'd be interested in the Fuji X-RE or X-Pro1, but now we're talking a lot bigger and a lot more money.

And if the intent of the vacation is to get away and lie on the beach, yes, the compact would be the choice. If I had allocated time for photography in that trip, I'd be taking both the DSLR and the compact (as I did last week). If one DSLR broke, I'd take one of the others, and if that didn't suit, I'd be on the phone to Lens Rentals.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 21-May-13 02:23 PM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Since I try to always have a quality compact, I'd take that. Quite happy of my Fuji X20, and most of all I did just that with the X10 before, a 10-day holiday in Spain for example...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Tue 21-May-13 02:27 PM
2512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

iPhone.

Second choice Nikon 1.

Why? I hate carrying phones on vacations. I have been on numerous trips the past few years and have yet to take a camera on any of them.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

mquinn55 Registered since 14th Sep 2006Wed 22-May-13 09:02 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mission Viejo, US

Hi Stash,
Florida, Hawaii, Caribbean eh? Nice!
The thing that seems to be the common denominator here is water. If you plan to get into that water I would recommend something waterproof. Nikon makes their Coolpix AW series. I’d look into those.
I have an older waterproof Olympus that serves me well when snorkeling or just floating along.
Enjoy your trip.
Mark.

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Thu 23-May-13 01:38 AM
1478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Panasonic G5. B&H has a deal on the G5 with kit lens for $498. For another $99 you get a 45-150 lens too.

I just purchased the G5 recently and I am impressed with its IQ. The G5 has a multitude of features, but it also has an iA "simple" mode as well. I also purchased a lens adapter for about $50 to use all my Nikon lenses on the G5 as well.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 23-May-13 09:11 PM
8528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Another vote for the V1 and two lens kit. It maintains my workflow with NEF files. Menus are relatively intuitive. I've got extra batteries if needed. And I can use the FT1 and one or two of my lenses if needed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 24-May-13 08:31 AM
34330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I bought a Nikon 1 with two lenses for my granddaughter's birthday.
I used it for a day and it was a real joy.
Then I lost the card (@#$&*!) on our long trip back home, so I can't show you some samples, but they were very good, much much better than I expected.
And the camera is really compact and very easy to take anywhere.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Fri 24-May-13 02:33 PM
3629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colombo, LK

This is something I don't even have to think....I have written about this in detail on my blog.
http://www.struckbylight.com/olympus-om-d-e-m5-for-advanced-slr-users/

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Fri 24-May-13 09:26 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 15

Geneva, US

Nice summary for us Nikon-heads! As a former OM-1 shooter from film days I have a soft spot (out-of-focus spot???) for compact Olympus cameras. I had no idea why I should pay attention to this camera as a compact alternative -- until now.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 30-May-13 06:20 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 15

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Thanks for the link, Dinil. I've had an E-M5 less than a week now and like it, but I'm still trying to learn the details. I think I have it (mostly) configured the way I want it. Your remarks and the link to the DP Review coverage were helpful!

Randy

furbs Registered since 30th Jan 2013Thu 30-May-13 03:45 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

If all my (D)SLRs broke, I would bring my Mamiya 7...it weighs less, that qualifies eh?

autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Mon 17-Jun-13 02:15 AM
873 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 17

Waukesha, US

my old Nikon P5100 - actually did take it to Hawaii last year. worked great!

Df, F4(e), FA, FG, F

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 18-Jun-13 12:02 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Thankfully I have a Nikon V1 so I'd just take that. But if I didn't have anything and had to rush to the store to buy one... in my area I have a decent selection and not so great prices. I'd buy a DSLR but since you said no DSLRs... probably a Canon G15. The odds of finding a Fuji X in store is low (and I don't want a fixed lens). And all the mirrorless cameras I've seen in stores have huge markups, even discontinued ones like the J1 which I still see marked at $500.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Tue 18-Jun-13 05:26 PM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

I like to have a camera with me on domestic and international business travel and decided that a retractable lens for suit-pocket carry was necessary. I also wanted credible low-light capability and raw capture.

I purchased the Sony RX-100 (1" sensor) - expensive but no regrets. I really did not want to start with another lens system.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 05:48 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: What would you bring?"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

I have a Nikon V1 with the two kit lenses, the 18.5 f1.8, a flash, and the FT1. It is a very compact and capable set as an alternative to my DX DSLRs. If I had to take a P&S, it would be my Canon S95.

Matthew

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88527 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.