Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88262
View in linear mode

Subject: "Color Runs can ruin your gear" Previous topic | Next topic
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Thu 09-May-13 02:19 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Color Runs can ruin your gear"

Rocky Mount, US

.... These pictures are, of course, after the lens was cleaned externally. All of that dust is inside the front and rear elements.

A number of lenses, including Canon L’s and Nikon Pro lenses had to go to the factory, and at least one has been given the “financially not feasable to repair” sticker.

WOW! Pro level gear damaged by dust this fine.

http://petapixel.com/2013/05/08/photographing-a-color-run-will-destroy-your-camera-gear-dont-do-it/

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear
SheriB Silver Member
09th May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
17th May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
09th May 2013
blw Moderator
09th May 2013
esantos Moderator
09th May 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
09th May 2013
Scotty Silver Member
10th May 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
10th May 2013
TashSt Silver Member
11th May 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
11th May 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
11th May 2013
ericbowles Moderator
12th May 2013
Omaha
12th May 2013
Sportymonk
13th May 2013
Omaha
13th May 2013
Omaha
14th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th May 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 09-May-13 10:58 AM
1675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I always wondered when I saw pics of this type of event...plus what it does to your lungs..and sinuses..

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 17-May-13 08:55 PM
6631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 1

Philadelphia, US

I wrote to The Color Run organization and asked precisely what was the color thrown on the runners. Within a couple of hours I got a courteous and very detailed reply email telling me precisely what the color is.

"The color is a corn starch base and is dyed with food grade dyes. It is even Gluten free.

Here is a list of the ingredients in our color:

Blue - FD and C Blue 1 Lake Low, Melojel Starch.

Green - FD and C Blue 1 Lake Low, FD and C Yellow Lake 36-42 PCT, Melojel Starch.

Pink - FD and C Red 40 Lake 36-42PCT, Melojel Starch.

Yellow - FD and C Yellow 5 lake 36-42 PC, Melojel Starch."

So, the main ingredient is Melojel Starch, which is a high quality, food grade, corn starch. It has a very silky texture which would make it ideal for the base of these colors which they essentially throw at the runners.

This is what its Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) says, "While cornstarch is commonly used in cooking, you should avoid eating or drinking large quantities of cornstarch. Do not get cornstarch dust in your eyes. Avoid inhaling cornstarch dust when using. If one of these exposures happens, provide treatment as indicated. If irritation continues, contact your physician."

I took a look at the Food Grade food dyes which they use, and are listed above.

The Blue is the most interesting from a toxicology standpoint, in that it's been banned in several European countries over the years despite getting the okay from EU health officials.

All the food dyes used state the following on their MSDS, "Dust inhalation may cause respiratory irritation. Solid particles on the eye (powder/dust) may cause pain and be accompanied by irritation. Repeated or prolonged skin contact may cause irritation."

"Caution must be exercised by the prudent use of protective equipment and handling procedures to minimize exposure."

Okay, I'm aware that MSDS sheets are notorious for overstating problems, but I don't think it's the case here.

At the same time, it would appear the The Color Run does just the opposite. In their FAQ, it states, "The Color Run explosions are basically food grade cornstarch and are 100% natural and SAFE. As with any substance, you want to keep it out of your eyes and our “certified” color throwers make sure to aim low as you pass by."

Talk about malarkey.

1. While the color is "food grade" and mostly made of corn starch, that's not the only ingredient in the colors. There is also the food dye.
  2. The corn starch may be 100% natural, but the food dye isn't.
  3. Just because something is 100% natural, whatever that actually means, that doesn't translate into it being "SAFE." Benzene is a naturally occurring substance, and exposure to it can cause cancer.
  4. If you're allergic to these ingredients, enough of it on your skin, in your eyes, etc., could bring on very serious anaphylaxic shock. That can kill some people. And the big problem is that many who are seriously allergic to the color, don't know it. That raises the stakes significantly.
  5. If the color throwers are aiming low, how come almost every photo of contestants on the Color Run website show them covered all over their faces with the color, as well as most of the rest of their body?

Bottom line, I wouldn't consider going in one of their races, or even photographing it.

I'm not even going to talk about the fact that they are a profit making company, making no bones about that, I should add, and apparently very little money from what they make at each race actually goes to charity.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Thu 09-May-13 11:51 AM
2111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Interesting article. I wonder what they make the powder out of?

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 09-May-13 12:50 PM
26672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

Reading some of the comments over at LensRentals.com, it seems that the powder is colored corn starch or some derivative thereof.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 09-May-13 08:40 PM
11627 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Oh snap!!

I always wanted to go shoot the Festival of Colors in India. Maybe not!

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 09-May-13 11:58 PM
3008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Wow that is scarey!!! Thanks for the warning!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 10-May-13 12:36 AM
4823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

the comment about lungs it pertinent... thanks for the heads up on this..

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 10-May-13 09:19 PM
8102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-May-13 09:21 PM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

I don't think I'd even have second thoughts about shooting in conditions like that without the camera being in a hermetically sealed bag! I'd wear a mask too.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sat 11-May-13 12:20 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 7

AU

I shot a colour run here in Perth.. my glass (and lungs) are fine...

however - there was a strong wind that day and I didn't have a cover so I spent most of my time being "up wind" and not getting into the thick of it. The 'pros' just had little plastic bag things over their gear, they seemed more worried about their clothes getting covered in colour

I suspect that most of the cornstarch actually gets trapped by mucous before it reaches your lungs, being very fine and highly absorbent, what might get through would be no more damaging than walking through a field of corn (or the equivalent).

I'd still go to Holi in a heartbeat

www.impressstphotography.com

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 11-May-13 07:15 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Oh my God.

And I thought polo arenas were bad.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 11-May-13 09:15 PM
3804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

That's good to know. Thanks for posting.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 12-May-13 11:22 AM
8608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Here's the link to the article at LensRentals.com
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/05/how-to-ruin-your-gear-in-5-minutes-without-water

It's not surprising that they have now excluded insurance coverage on damage from Color Run and similar events. I suspect pros that photograph Color Run have learned to use rented gear rather than personal gear.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 12-May-13 02:18 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 11

Omaha, US

Looks like fun! I see that there is one in my city in a couple of weeks.

I am SOOOO going! I guess I'll try wrapping my camera in some sort of plastic bag first.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Mon 13-May-13 12:32 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 12

Rocky Mount, US

Send us photos of your lenses and camera afterwards.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 13-May-13 05:33 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 13-May-13 05:57 PM by Omaha

Omaha, US

If I can come away with a collection like this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomashawk/sets/72157629801645943/with/7664933294/

...I will consider it well worth it, even if I end up with some dust.

Its just a camera. Taking pictures is what its for.

...but I still plan on wrapping it in plastic, since I plan on getting in the middle of the dust-cloud as much as possible!

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 14-May-13 06:52 PM
#15. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 14

Omaha, US

Extremely cool photoshoot using the same colored powder:

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2013/05/color-photograph-samsung-series-9-monitor/

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 17-May-13 01:13 AM
25980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Color Runs can ruin your gear"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Instead of Festival of Color it should be called Festival of Ruined Glass.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88262 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.