Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88225
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon customer service" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 06-May-13 02:03 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon customer service"

Waynesville, US

Or lack thereof! Bought a refurbished lens from their on line store. First time buying direct. Received it last Thursday and talked to customer service today. My complaints are no box, no directions and made in Thailand and NONE of this revealed in their store listing. No argument about price but hardly what I expected from Nikon. Response from a supervisor is that Nikon stopped printing lens directions some two years ago to be "eco friendly", they do not include boxes with refurbished lenses and wherever they are made they meet Nikon standards but no explanation as to why info not in store listing. They will send PDF pamphlet. Perhaps I expect too much?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon customer service
Scotty Silver Member
06th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
06th May 2013
Scotty Silver Member
06th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
06th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
06th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
06th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
06th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
06th May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
07th May 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
07th May 2013
gschuler
07th May 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
07th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
09th May 2013
Clint S Silver Member
10th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
10th May 2013
Omaha
12th May 2013
mklass Platinum Member
12th May 2013
Clint S Silver Member
13th May 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
07th May 2013
texspeel Silver Member
07th May 2013
CicliCiocc
09th May 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
09th May 2013
Clint S Silver Member
10th May 2013
largebore Silver Member
10th May 2013
mquinn55
14th May 2013

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 06-May-13 03:41 PM
4835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

you expect too much.

Are Nikon supposed to make boxes just in case lenses come in without one?

Personally I have never seen the point of lens instructions (or directions) but that is just me

Unless it was a top pro f2.8 or faster lens where did you expect it to be made? - they are all made outside Japan these days except the top lenses just like most of the bodies... That's how they keep the price down. I have Nikkors made in japan, China and Thailand - I see no problems with build in the ones made outside Japan...

what lens was it?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 06-May-13 04:38 PM
356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Waynesville, US

Alex,

Thank you (I think), for putting me straight.

Geoff

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 06-May-13 04:57 PM
4835 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

not trying to put your straight... it depends what lens it was and how much it cost... if you paid top dollar for a top pro lens then you should expect more for your money (personally I don't think country of manufacture is an issue). It also depends on how it was advertised and if the ad described something you didn't get...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 06-May-13 08:35 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Obviously we disagree. To me customer service is customer service and should not have to be bought by getting "top pro lenses". However, my focus is one of lack of full disclosure by Nikon. Perhaps to you the mattter of a missing box and instruction manuals and where manufactured are of little import but I think it represents an attitude that is becoming all too common, that is deteriorating customer service and business practices. Fact is what I bought (regardless of what it cost) was not fully or accurately described. If I am expecting too much so be it but if I do not have high expectations, or do not protest when they are not met, then I deserve what I get. Nikon is investigating.

Thanks for your input.

Geoff

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 06-May-13 10:24 PM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

Geoff,

I think you are over reacting. All you get with refurbished lenses is the lens, end caps and hood. Occasionally they might include the lens pouch. In generally comes in a plain brown box. If you want the instructions, which as Scotty says are pretty unimportant unless you are getting a DC or PC lens, you can download them from the web site.

As for country of manufacture, is that information even listed for new lenses?

Maybe you don't like their customer service, but you should also recognize that sometimes customers have unrealistic expectations, assume they are getting more than is listed, then take it out on a customer service person who is now in a difficult situation.

Did it say in the product list that it included instructions, the original box, was manufactured in a particular place? IF non of that was mentioned, then you jumped to conclusions.

Sorry if this is harsh, but it's reality.

By the way, did you like the lens?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 06-May-13 11:40 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 5

Waynesville, US

Mick,

Wow!! Seems like I've touched a nerve or two:-) But that's OK because like me you're entitled to your opinion and, I guess, without knowing me are entitled to personal commentary. What's that wonderful thing about "I may not agree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it". So let me ask you how do you know about the way refurbished lenses come from Nikon? From their catalog or? From experience? Remember I said this was a first time use of their on line store. And where in my comments do you see that I have taken it out on a customer service rep? I like to think that I am generally much more considerate than that. That's why I talked to a supervisor. As to being harsh but it's reality, well it's your reality perhaps but that doesn't make it one that I "should" either accept or live by. I had hoped we could keep this thread polite and impersonal but having joined in the fray I will now excuse myself and sit on the sidelines.

Geoff

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 06-May-13 11:04 PM
11547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nikon only produces certain lens at certain factories.

For example the 24-120/f4 is made in Thailand and only in Thailand – The 70-200/f2.8 is made in Japan and only in Japan.

The D90, D7000, D7100, D300s are all only made in Thailand – The D800 and D4 made only in Japan.

The country of origin is seldom listed in any store listing including new products.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Mon 06-May-13 11:43 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 6

Waynesville, US

Thank you, this explains a lot and is helpful as I go forward.

Geoff

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 07-May-13 06:43 PM
2210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 8

Little Rock, US

Geoff,

What lens did you actually buy?

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Tue 07-May-13 07:46 PM
#10. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 9

Waynesville, US

David,

Got the AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR (my first VR lens). Nikon have apologised, now say instruction booklet should have been in package and are sending it. Also are investigating adding to listings disclosures re boxes etc.

Geoff

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 07-May-13 11:34 PM
2210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 10

Little Rock, US

Geoff,

My son and I both have that lens - it was never made in Japan, btw. I bet you will like it.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

gschuler Registered since 06th Mar 2013Tue 07-May-13 07:55 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

US

what was your intention to do with the box? Remove the lens, throw the box away (wait a fair time to make sure there are no "issues)" no problem doing the same as your received it.

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Tue 07-May-13 09:19 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 07-May-13 09:21 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

Sarcasm noted. If you read the for sale threads you will see that often the fact that a box is included is regarded as a plus. But again, in case it was missed, the basis of my complaint is lack of disclosure. Rationalise it as much as you like it is information that could easily be included and I feel should be.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 09-May-13 08:40 PM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 09-May-13 09:31 PM by briantilley

Tacoma, US

If you had the same box as the new lenses, then you would be able to pass off the refurbished lens as new one should you decide to sell it. Hardly ethical. You do in fact have a box, the one they packaged the refurbished lens in.

Really, if you are so unhappy with Nikon on this. Send it back for a refund.

You bought a lens at a discount from the price of a brand new one. It likely performs at least as well as a new one. Relax and go take some pictures with it.

Mick
or

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Fri 10-May-13 06:49 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 17

Chula Vista, US

If the lens is coming from a OEM , I would have expected the lens to come with same type of packaging as a new lens. The boxes and packing are designed to protect the lens during storage and shipping. This is how Nikon sells and ship refurbished cameras, why are lenses any different?

If you purchased a new Nikon D4 and it came in a plain brown box and without instructions, is that what you would expect? If not then where would find such information listed? I can't find that on the web page of the Nikon USA site for the D4.

When selling a used lens, why would it be unethical not to mention that it was originally purchased as refurbished? It is still a used lens.

If one was to resell a refurbished lens, and next owner sold it but did not mention or know that it was refurbished, would that sale be unethical? It is still a used lens.

Is it unethical to sell all of the original packaging of a lens without the lens? Someone might use the packaging to resell a refurbished lens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 10-May-13 12:22 PM
#22. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 20

Tacoma, US

Your expectations are different than mine.

A refurbished Nikon lens come with a 90 day warranty, a new lens, in the US, has a 5 year warranty. BY you logic, those should be teh same, too.

By the way, if you by a refurbished Sigma lens, it is the same, plain box, no instructions, 5 year warranty. I would guess other manufacturers are the same, although I have not bought from them. Industry standard, perhaps?

The best course would be from someone to sue Nikon (and the others) for this practice. Win or lose, it will get the lawyers writing and requiring long disclaimers to do some corporate CYA. Perhpas our lenses will begin to look like ladders with stickers all over them.

One of the dislaimers should clearly state "This is a lens only, and does not include a camera.", because surely there is someone out there that won't understand that point.

Mick
or

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 12-May-13 01:30 PM
547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 22

Omaha, US

As of this writing, an eBay search for "Nikon empty box" yields 119 hits.

Apparently some people like having them. I can't for the life of me imagine why.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 12-May-13 01:55 PM
#24. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 23

Tacoma, US

>As of this writing, an eBay search for "Nikon empty
>box" yields 119 hits.
>
>Apparently some people like having them. I can't for the life
>of me imagine why.

For the perceived value of selling a piece of used equipment with the box. I guess it implies:

• "I took care of the box and so must have taken care of the equipment."
  • "It will be shipped in the original packaging so it will be safe."
  • "It can't be that old, I still have the box."

Part of the psychology of the sale.

Mick
or

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 13-May-13 05:12 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 24

Chula Vista, US

Our expectations do differ, especially when I see refurb lenses for 85-90% of the new price. I associate things like traditional packing of a refurb as the kind of thing from with a customer driven corporation building customer satisfaction and trust in the OEM.

Whether having a repair completed or purchasing a refurbished Jura Capresso automatic coffee center, the item always comes back in a custom fitted box. It is one of the reasons I continue to do business with them.

I've never had that same expectation for any used lens I have purchased, in fact I quickly learned to ask how it will be packed! But I've never bought a refurbished lens from an OEM.

The difference between the 90 day and 5 year warranty is one of those things I see as a tradeoff of buying the refurbished lens.

A legal suit - over a box and packing! Get the lawyers involved - our lenses would jump to double the price. Don't be giving them lawyers any ideas!!!!! LOL

I know that for decades items being sold with original packaging usually bring higher prices. Since the 80s I have kept the boxes and then they went with the gear when sold. I specifically mentioned selling the boxes as I have several boxes from gear that was stolen. I do not want or need them or their contents. But I have seen them sell on eBay so I thought I might just sell mine.

A worthy discussion. I'm gonna sh## can my boxes.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 07-May-13 09:27 PM
1271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Personally when I buy a NEW lens, I find all the boxes, papers, etc etc, to be just a nuisance -- I bought a lens, give me the lens. If I know nothing at all about that lens, why did I buy it? I always research first so I know what I am getting.

So if you are buying used, look it up and you will know beforehand where it was made and the specs.

----
Dennis Smith.

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Tue 07-May-13 09:48 PM
349 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairfax Station, US

Geoff,
You can download lens manuals from the Nikon website under "Service and Support." The only reason I keep the paper manuals is in case I decide to sell the lens in the future. Otherwise, I have all the electronic versions of manuals for bodies ans lenses on my iPad Mini which I carry with me in my camera bag.
Best regards,
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

CicliCiocc Registered since 01st Nov 2011Thu 09-May-13 07:40 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Totally understand where you're coming from. You buy a product on line, and you basically got the lens in a brown paper lunch bag. I think the keyword here is "refurbished." Which to me at least, means I may not get all the extra stuff... BUT, I think Nikon should express this that refurbished products may not come in original packaging and paperwork. I bet if they just listed that, then there would be no complaints. I think some people here are a little harsh. It's just good business sense to come out and be forthcoming on what you are getting. What's the big deal NIKON?

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Thu 09-May-13 08:52 PM
952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-May-13 08:53 PM by PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US

I LOVE my Nikon gear...BUT...."eco-friendly" my rear end ! They don't print manuals because they save a bundle not doing it. There are more trees now than there were 100 years ago. Paper is essentially 100% recyclable. "Eco-friendly" is a marketing term today meaning..."we save a bundle of dough by not providing this".

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Fri 10-May-13 06:47 AM
#19. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

I have to agree the instructions are not important since the instructions, if wanted, are available on the internet.

I don't think the country of manufacture is not a major deal. A person is buying a lens for what it is, not where it was manufactured. If someone has concern with the country of origin, then they should do the research.

Unlike in the 60s and 70s, advertising a lens was made in Japan is a positive thing today, so I would not be surprised to see this mentioned, but would not expect it. Most product marketing materials do not mention where an item was manuafctured, unless is favorable to sell the item.

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Fri 10-May-13 11:19 AM
660 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 19

Clarks Summit, US

Considering the concern, makes sense that Nikon makes the disclosure.

But no box is pretty understandable as in exactly where are they supposed to get a fresh box for a lense that is no longer in production?

They do not refurbish boxes.

A ratty looking used box on a refurbished lense would put me off way more than a brown paper bag.

mquinn55 Registered since 14th Sep 2006Tue 14-May-13 10:05 PM
245 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon customer service"
In response to Reply # 0

Mission Viejo, US

Wow. A lengthy discussion about a box and sheet of paper. I think the answer, as so frequently happens, lies in the middle. The few times I’ve purchased refurbished items (computers) the site or store has made clear the warranty difference and usually they came in a brown box. Same protection during shipment but no printing and without all the documentation.
So being the first time you’ve bought a refurbished item (? or just lens?) I agree they should make those statements somewhere, even if buried in the fine print. On the other hand, now I assume you know what to expect and won’t be so disappointed in the future. You got a good lens at a great price. I see no reason to expect you won’t love it. In a month you’ll probably never even think about the box.
Try not to let this shortcoming, or the opinions expressed here change that. I would get out and run it through its paces while you’re within the 90 day warranty.

Mark

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88225 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.