nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88113
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you draw?" Previous topic | Next topic
Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 07:31 AM
4615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do you draw?"

Bidford on Avon, UK

Do you draw as well as take photographs?

I was at an arts event on Friday and was reminded that — back in the 1980s — I started taking pictures because I wanted reference materials for drawing. The photography became more and more important and the drawing less, but I still sometimes draw out what I'm planning before I photograph it.

So, do you draw as well as shoot, and do you use drawing as part of the process of planning an image? If you do, how does it help you?

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do you draw?
Scotty Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
archivue Gold Member
30th Apr 2013
Scotty Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Omaha
30th Apr 2013
JDuchene Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
esandy Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
30th Apr 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
01st May 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
01st May 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
01st May 2013
Davidpeter1 Silver Member
03rd May 2013
Pouncer Silver Member
04th May 2013
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th May 2013
Ginsbury Gold Member
08th May 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
12th May 2013
JiangMX Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
17th Jul 2013
nkcllewis Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
hujiie Silver Member
02nd Aug 2013
mfphoto1
02nd Aug 2013

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 09:04 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

One of the main reasons I took up photography way back was because I couldn't draw at all! Honesty my skills with a pencil, pen, brush etc are nil but I have a decent eye so I took to cameras to facilitate my desire to record what I could see...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 09:42 AM
5520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

Er... Yes ! After seven years at the Beaux-Arts of Paris, I graduated as an architect, so I guess I can draw, paint, watercolor and such other classical or more contemporary medias (Actually, I recently discovered drawing on the iPad with a stylus)

While my interest in photography started sooner because of a family oriented toward it for several generations, drawing was also in the family package
How does it mix with photography ?
I'm usually on the opposite side of "Pro" photographers, meaning the job I'm paid for, starts with sketches, and modeling isn't about a nice lady

As the Renaissance has faded by to bring a more speedy, time-stressed society, I use photography alongside the whole design process, not only to document the site, but to gather it's mood, lights, perspectives, just as mundane details, as most projects are on a four to five years timeline between the first phone call and the end of the works.

If I had to do a paid commercial project (say some fashion modeling shoot), I would "naturally" start with some sketches on the café's paper napkin (yes, we still have those around here ), then to a moleskin notebook, adding maybe just one color for light (or sky, or ground). Sort of a "storyboard", I would discuss with the client. Only then would I engage in finding a site, models, and type of lights that would be needed. I would also count on random chance in finding one or another, as it might add a "strangeness" (as with quarks) to an already well polished scene.

But in real life I live, it's the drawings that get paid for, and I use photography as a mean to keep my observation mind acute, while not caring for a second about regulations, rules, usefulness and so on... When taking pictures, I'm on holidays, shifting in the "What me worry" gear... Very far from my drawings, but not so distant from a common idea of representation...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 11:19 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I also carry a Moleskine note book around but have to write down ideas rather than sketch them out... If I drew them Lord knows what pictures I'd end up taking...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 01:58 PM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 3

Omaha, US

I draw in my mind. I carry around a bunch of ideas for shots I have planned.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

JDuchene Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2005Tue 30-Apr-13 05:19 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 4

Mahomet, US

At the age of 63 I took my first drawing class. I love it. I have been taking photographs since grade school. I was exposed to photography by my father who was a lab tech in a photo unit during WWII. I have had a camera in my hand most of my life. I find that drawing is soothing and what I do in the evening on the couch with my wife. Photography is my adventure. I was fortunate in my 20's to be introduced to bird watching which has changed my life. I have poor eyesignt by any objective measure however my perception is much more acute then most because of birding. So yes I draw and photograph but mostly I see.

John

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Tue 30-Apr-13 09:57 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

Yes, I have drawn off and on since grade school and in the last few years have gotten very serious about it. To the point that I want to take it to the next level with sales and such.

I took up photography to obtain my own reference material for the drawings. I don't use drawing to plan shots but rather use elements from different photos to piece a drawing composition together.

Its a bonus when a photo lends itself to be a complete drawing. So in a way I think the drawing and photography compliment each other and is helping me to grow artistically.

Ed

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 10:54 PM
26905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I draw... only on other artistic parts of my skills. I'm *terrible* at drawing, in fact. I'm pretty lucky to be able to draw a straight line with a shift key... or a straight edge. There must be some connection missing in my brain, since I apparently have a reasonable imagination (or so I was told by my elementary school teachers) and I have enough eye-hand coordination to do more than one sport at a pretty-good-for-an-amateur level.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 01-May-13 02:01 AM
8252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I draw a mean stick figure! My wife and son have the drawing genes. I photograph and play musical instruments because I cannot draw. Building and painting scale model aircraft was about as close to a hand crafted art that I got.

I would like to take some airbrush and related illustration courses. I miss airbrushing models.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 01-May-13 01:24 PM
6853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I still draw. I definitely still do watercolor and etchings. I particularly enjoy doing etchings.

I used to have a notebook in which I kept data about the various images I took which I needed once I returned home or to my office. I also used the notebook to plan out some shots, particularly, if they involved lighting, props, and particular planning, and especially if I had assistance, so I could map out what everyone needed to do. The planning included drawing.

The notebook has given way to an electronic notebook. I use an iPhone app to keep notes, some typed and some dictated, for data about my images as I'm shooting. The planning is now done on an iPad with an app in which I can type, or with a stylus, for control, to write and draw.

Interesting topic Martin. Thanks for starting it.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 01-May-13 04:11 PM
3081 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I have no talent for drawing. My sister and daughter are the artists in my family.

Rocky

Davidpeter1 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Mar 2004Fri 03-May-13 10:28 PM
561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cardiff, UK

..yes, I used to do a lot of drawing as part of my profession, by hand in pencil, pen and computer, at the moment it's more quick sketches and diagrams for the team to develop. I used to do it for pleasure along with painting, although rarely now despite good intentions to revive the pass time.

I've never had call to do a drawing to plan a photo, but I used to enjoy books on the art of film making, which often show stage plans and set ups - the best being The Art of The Empire Strikes Back.

David.

Cardiff,Britain.

BE A BLOOD + BONE MARROW DONOR TO FIGHT CANCER, YOU MAY SAVE A LIFE.
http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=16427

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 04-May-13 01:03 AM
1140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

While I could - many, many years ago - draw and paint fairly well, I took up photography to distinguish myself from others in my family who were professional painters. I was not advanced enough in drawing or painting to say that either had anything to do with my photography. But I knew (thought?) that I had some artistic talent and photgraphy quickly became my preference.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 05-May-13 01:22 AM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I draw and sketch, too, sadly not as much as I would like. I haven't painted since college, though I would like to do so again, and soon! When I was in architecture school, a majority of my presentations were drawn (pencil on vellum, ink on mylar (or similar), We really didn't use computers to the extent that it is used in the profession today. I still keep up with sketch, great way to get ideas across to a person, but I find that sadly, the architects I work with are losing the skill (and the printing is suffering, too!).

I sometimes use the camera as a photosketch to get an idea captured for later refinement in a sketch book.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 08-May-13 01:31 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 13

Netanya, IL

What an intriguing question for a photographers' forum!

My late father was a professional portrait artist, two of my aunts taught art and another was a member of the RA in England but I have never been able to elicit even the hint of some skills myself.

On the other hand, my wife is a talented artist and often accompanies me on "shoots", serving as my inspiration.

And to John (Duchene), I am some years your senior but still manage to find more interesting things "to do in the evening on the couch with my wife" than art work!

Nathan

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sun 12-May-13 03:19 PM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I would like to have that talent but I have trouble with stick figures.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

JiangMX Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd Apr 2004Wed 17-Jul-13 02:55 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Singapore, SG

I do and paint too. I took up photography more for my traveling. I am now teaching drawing in a technical college. Currently I am combining my drawing & painting skills with photography, because all ends up using the same technology - digital. I had a Flickr post with my "photo-painting".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/waterbowl/

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 17-Jul-13 05:59 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I always wanted to draw but I just never wanted to spend the time to learn how to draw well. It also is a much slower process than I enjoy. Then one day about 8 or so years ago I figured out that photography is my way of drawing. And it only takes a fraction of a second to get what I want, too.

nkcllewis Silver Member Charter MemberFri 02-Aug-13 02:26 AM
4889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Washington, US

Martin, thanks for asking. Yes, I draw and oil paint. Photography has become my main outlet for art but I still doodle. I started shooting because of the fantastic landscape images I saw in "Arizona Highways" that I yearned to paint. Alas, I couldn't afford an 8x10 so made do with a small 35mm camera and just kept at it through college where oil painting became more and more a discipline I could no longer afford the time to enjoy and master.

I think I will go back to oils when I retire. Formal drawing was a fleeting passion when I was considering architecture school but I continue doodling away.

thanks again for the great topic,

Kent in VA

"A poor worker always blames his tools" Anonymous

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Fri 02-Aug-13 05:16 AM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 02-Aug-13 05:18 AM by hujiie

US

Some believe that the drawing is to depict personal stylization of the reality instead of capturing realism and it is direct and primitive with infinite creative possibilities. If you apply this to photography, it might become a masterpiece.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 02-Aug-13 03:06 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: Do you draw?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

When I was in high school I had the same teacher for art and photography. Before he retired I used to go in a speak to his photography classes. I would always get a laugh out of the students when I would tell them I took 4 years of studio art before I realized I couldn't draw. In all honesty I can draw enough for what I am trying to draw to be identifiable.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88113 Previous topic | Next topic