Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88110
View in linear mode

Subject: "Seriously considering switching to Canon..." Previous topic | Next topic
shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 01:23 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Seriously considering switching to Canon..."

Bob in New Orleans, US

I love Nikon cameras and lenses. I want to to jump from DX to full frame with a an upgrade from my D90 to a D600. However, I can't ignore the features of the Canon 6D. It has both GPS for Geo-tagging files and WiFi (perfect for carrying less when travelling).

Why can't Nikon add these features to a D600 and keep the price competitive with Canon? I'd love to stay with Nikon but I have to question the wisdom of brand loyalty. My only concern would be the loss I'd take on the Nikon lenses I've invested in thus far.

"Burn Slowly the Candle of Life"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon...
mklass Platinum Member
30th Apr 2013
Fovea Gold Member
30th Apr 2013
esantos Moderator
30th Apr 2013
mklass Platinum Member
30th Apr 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
rogermorris Silver Member
01st May 2013
slalom002 Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Omaha
30th Apr 2013
Fovea Gold Member
30th Apr 2013
esantos Moderator
30th Apr 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
30th Apr 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
Scotty Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
02nd May 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
01st May 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
01st May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
01st May 2013
shipsdrummer Silver Member
01st May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
02nd May 2013
CicliCiocc
01st May 2013
2pixels_short Gold Member
01st May 2013
Luke_Miller Silver Member
02nd May 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
02nd May 2013
Ned_L Moderator
02nd May 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 01:42 AM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Everything is a trade off. Decide what's most important and make your choices. No one makes thee perfect product, especially for everybody. (Well, except for whoever made water, that seems about right.)

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 01:08 PM
3629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Colombo, LK

Hi Robert,
As someone who has been in your position twice I feel your "pain"

Here are few questions for you...

1.How important is it for you to have geo-tagging and WiFi built in to the camera. What do you use your camera for?
2. Are you happy to bear the cost of switching to avoid carrying extra 200-300g (Weight of a simple Solmeta Geotagger and a WiFi unit)
3.Do you see yourself using the GPS and WiFi at the same time? If not weight becomes even less!
4. Are you happy with the ergonomics of the canon brand

I personally like the built in GPS function, but the 39 focus points compared to 11 and the faster frame rate makes Nikon D600 the better camera in my opinion. The absolute deal-breaker for me though, is the 100 % viewfinder of the D600.

Nikon and Canon are two extremely mature systems that are interchangeable. Rent both the cameras and check them out before committing yourself.
Once you start buying fast glass and expensive cameras switching becomes extremely expensive.

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 04:08 PM
11513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

It used to be selecting a camera system was all about image quality and performance, everything else was secondary. Now it's about whiz-bang features. Call me a Luddite but I just don't get it.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 30-Apr-13 04:20 PM
5864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

Who said being a Luddite was a bad thing?

If the features are critical to being able to accomplish the job, then I can understand. However, if it is just wanting to have the latest and greatest, and going to great expense to do it, then it doesn't make any sense to me. And, with my third hand- if you got the money and want to spend it, be my guest.

I now own 3 DSLR's with video capability, one of them for 3 years. I have yet to shoot any video or even turn on the feature.

Luddites Unite!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 30-Apr-13 05:20 PM
3175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 3

Western PA, US

I second Ernesto's thoughts.

Cameras are merely paintbrushes - and all you will be doing is switching paintbrushes.

I always advocate that it's really not worth upgrading to a new model (even within your own existing brand) unless you feel that the technology is somehow limiting you from a "creative" standpoint. For example, maybe you need a camera that is more capable for your low-light work?

While it's not my place to question your priorities or motives, I find it somewhat humorous that anyone would go through all the hassle of switching to an entirely different system (especially given the existing IQ of Nikon glass and DSLRs) altogether just because of Wi-Fi and GPS tagging capability. No disrespect meant, but it seems to sort of miss the whole point about photography.

And this is coming from a guy who is every bit the gear head. To each his own I suppose, and best of luck with whatever camera system you end up with. If having Wi-Fi and GPS are what you feel you absolutely can't live without to make you a more effective photographer (based on your own set of standards), than the decision is an easy one.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

rogermorris Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2013Wed 01-May-13 04:37 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 5

Harrogate, GB

Like many of my generation (63) I started with a Zenith, then an Exacta, but have used Nikons for 35 years - about 10 of them! No I don't change them with my socks. I still have 4 of them, I kept my F3 for 16 years. I went digital 8 years ago D70, still use it. I recently bought a second D1H, love the handling. I rarely use my 40 year old F(FTN) but wouldn't part with it. My point is only 2 things matter in a camera, 1-reliability, & 2-choice of lens, the rest depends on the photographer.

No work of art is ever finished, merely abandoned

slalom002 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2008Thu 02-May-13 06:41 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 5

Bern, CH

"Cameras are just paintbrushes". Very eloquent.

At one time it was not unusual for camera models to have long product lives (Minolta X700 was in production for 18 years). Now 5 years seems about right. New features and bigger sensors make our cameras obsolete.

Nikon and Canon have effective marketing departments. One has given us NAS the other CAS. Perhaps we should admit that they are one and the same and accept that GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) has no cure other than having kids in college (who take your gear as well as consume all disposable income).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 30-Apr-13 05:20 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 3

Omaha, US

That's funny right there.

It occurs to me that, for example, no one ever worried about shutter counts before cameras starting counting them. Now we see posts regularly to the effect of "I bought a referb and it has 2768 activations!!! Should I send it back!?!?"

Heh.

The Nikon I want is one that has a D800 sensor in a box with absolutely nothing else included. Nothing automatic at all. No auto-focus. No auto-exposure. No jpg conversions. NEF files only.

I do want zoomable live view so I can precision focus.

Maybe an integrated light meter would be nice, but I could live without it. Not much point in a light meter when you can just take a few test shots and chimp them.

All I want is a box that can create huge NEF files based on complete manual control.

So, the camera I want is down inside the D800. And ironically, given how there are so few who would buy it, it would almost certainly cost more than a D800. Its the feature-chasing D800 customers that make my "Luddite D800" possible, even if I do have to live with all sorts of extra clutter that surrounds it.

There ARE cameras like the one I want. There are any number of medium format digital offerings out there. Figure something like $6k for the body, $30k for the back, and however much you want to spend on the lenses.

Nice.

Its a crazy time for cameras. There are enough feature-chasers and pixel peepers out there that they create a mass market for what one would expect to be a highly specialized segment.

And we all win. Cool.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 07:41 PM
3629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 3

Colombo, LK

>>Call me a Luddite but I just don't get it

Really ....

NikonMainBody D4
NikonLenses
28mm f/3.5 PC-Nikkor
35mm f/2.8 PC-Nikkor
85mm f/1.4D AF IF Nikkor
105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor
14-24mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor
16-35mm f/4G ED AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S ED VR DX Zoom-Nikkor
24-70mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Zoom Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR I Zoom-Nikkor
TC-17E II (1.7x) AF-S, AF-I Teleconverter
OtherLenses N/A
Speedlight SB-800
NikonGear
Nikon D800
Nikon D5000
Nikon D7000
MC-30 Remote Cord
MC-36 Multi-Function Remote Cord

OtherGear OTHER CAMERAS, FILTERS, SPEEDLIGHTS & ACCESSORIES

(4) Nikon SB800 Speedlights

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx Portable GPS

SINGH-RAY FILTERS
1, 2, & 3 stop Graduated Neutral Density Filters both hard and soft
Daryl Bensen 3-stop Reverse ND Grad
Gold-n-Blue Circular Polarizer
LB (Lighter Brighter) Warming Polarizer
LB Color Combo Polarizer
Vari-N-Duo Polarizing Variable ND Filter (Thin)

LEE FILTERS
The Big Stopper - 10 Stop Neutral Density
Lee Foundation Kit Holder System

NIKON FILTERS
Nikon 77mm Circular Polarizer Glass Filter II (Slim)
Nikon 77mm L37c

B+W FILTERS
B+W 77mm Neutral Density Filters:
103 (3-stops)
106 (6-stops)

CANON FILTERS
Canon 500D Close Up Lens

Lincoln Welder's Glass Filter Plate Shade 10 (for really quick viewing and composing of sunsets - and let me stress QUICK!)

Gary Fong Systems:
- Whaletail Reporter
- Whaletail Studio
- Lightsphere CLOUD
- Lightsphere CLEAR
- InternalDome
- ChromeDome
- AmberDome
- Puffer

Kirk Enterprises

BL-D4 L-bracket for Nikon D4
BL-D800 L-bracket for Nikon D800
BL-D7000 L-bracket for Nikon D7000

REALLY RIGHT STUFF

BD5000-L L-bracket for D5000
LCF-10 Replacement Foot for 70-200mm VR

RRS For Panorama Shooting:

PCL-1 Panning Clamp
PCL-DVTL Dovetail Mount for PCL-1
MPR-CL 6" Nodal Slide
MPR-B Index Stop Bar
192 Precision Plus Package Sliding Clamp Platform

Bogen/Manfrotto 337 Hotshoe Two Axis Bubble Level

MISCELLANEOUS

Swarovski 8x30W Binocular

DIGITAL DARKROOM

Dell XPS 8500 Desktop with dual monitors 24" NEC PA241W-BK displays
- Intel® i7 Processor
- 16 GB RAM
- 1.5 terabyte internal hard drive
- 4 external hard drives - 8 terabytes total

Wacom Intuos4 Large graphics tablet

Epson Stylus Pro 9900
Epson Stylus Pro 4900
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Epson Stylus Photo R1900
Epson Stylus Photo R260
Epson Perfection 4990 Flatbed Scanner
Tripods Gitzo G-1325 Mountaineer Mk2

Gitzo GT3541LS Series 3 Systematic Carbon 6X

Feisol Classic CT-3301 Rapid

Joby GorrillaPod Focus
Heads Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro

Really Right Stuff BH-40 Pro II

Kirk Enterprises BH-1

Kirk Enterprises BH-3 (2)
Bags Tamrac Expedition 8 5578 w/SPX777 Side Pockets

Lowepro Vertex 200AW

Lowepro Classified Sling 220 AW

Lowepro CompuDaypack

Lowepro NatureTrekker AW

Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW

Lowepro Nova Mini

Lowepro EX 160

Eddie Bauer fanny pack w/water bottles

Tamrac Folding Filter Wallet

LensCoat Memory Wallet Combo 66

Tenba PW-5 and PW-7 Memory Card Wallets

Adorama Slinger

Lee Filter Wallet
FavouriteGadget Lens Pen
MostUselessGadget None - I get rid of everything that doesn't work for me!

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 30-Apr-13 08:49 PM
11513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 7

McAllen, US

Hey, I use all that stuff in manual mode only.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 30-Apr-13 09:58 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 30-Apr-13 09:59 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Seems to me that you want the camera that will allow you take the best pictures.

That MAY mean something with great low-light capabilities, or just one that is easy to manipulate as you go about your photographing. It may mean high-pixel count, it may mean great auto-focus in dynamic situations.

What I don't see is making things that can be done outside the photographing into critical make-or-break items!

I can geo-tag later (takes a bit of effort), I cannot add low-light capabilities later, or fix the focus that lost the action.

So my personal choices would be based on the photographing, and other neat widgets become a bit of gravy only.

My personal opinion only!

----
Dennis Smith.

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Tue 30-Apr-13 08:32 PM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

Robert --
I'd think carefully before I bought an expensive camera with embedded hardware that might soon be eclipsed by something better. I'm referring to the wifi, though even the GPS signals might change in the more distant future in order to harmonize with satellites operated by non-US countries. That has happened in several cycles with laptop computers, where one or two components become technologically obsolete and the only solution is to upgrade the entire machine. If you change cameras every three to five years, this won't make any difference.
Anyway, good luck.

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Tue 30-Apr-13 10:32 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Batavia, US

I sure hope Minolta doesn't come out with a camera with a back scratcher.... Nikon will be doomed...

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 02-May-13 05:56 AM
4817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 11

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

does Minolta still exist?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 02-May-13 06:07 AM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 20

Philadelphia, US

No, at least for cameras.

Minolta merged with another long time Japanese camera manufacturer, Konica Ltd., in 2003. The new corporation was called Konica Minolta Ltd.

Three years later, in 2006 Konica Minolta announced that all DSLR production would continue under Sony's management. It's DSLR camera assets were transferred to Sony during the Konica Minolta withdrawal phase during early 2006, when technical support for the KM's cameras was assumed by Sony. Later that same year Sony announced their first Konica Minolta-based SLR, the Alpha A100.

So we could say the old Minolta lives on in Sony cameras.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 01-May-13 02:36 AM
1815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Maybe you would like to have a look at Foolografy.com - They make a blue tooth based GPS specifically for Nikon cameras. I have used their system for years and can highly recommend it. Before changing to Canon I also recommend that you look at DxO. They rate the D800 the highest, D600 second and - I believe - Sony Rx1 third among all digital cameras.

Tristan

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Wed 01-May-13 03:17 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 01-May-13 03:18 AM by shipsdrummer

Bob in New Orleans, US

Thanks for all the helpful insights folks. I've cooled down with my frustration, I'm not jumping ship. I guess no product is everything to everyone. Image quality is still the #1 priority in the order of importance within my budget. I guess I was just venting because I'd like to have these features since I travel a bit. I can certainly live without them, but I'd like them inside a D600. Who knows what the future holds?

Thanks again for "refocusing" my priorities.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 01-May-13 12:12 PM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 13

Philadelphia, US

>... I guess no product is everything to everyone. Image quality is
>still the #1 priority in the order of importance within my budget.

Well said.

There are good GPS units for the D600, by the way. I recommend the Solmeta Geotagger N2. It's sold in the Pro Shop. Just make sure you get it with the right cable if you buy it. I believe it's the same one as for the D7000/D7100. I use this unit on all my DSLRs.

>I guess I was just venting because I'd like to have these features
>since I travel a bit. I can certainly live without them, but
>I'd like them inside a D600.

I understand your desire for the built-in GPS in particular. I use a GPS constantly for Travel Photography, which is my bread and butter, and knew it wasn't going to be in my new Nikons when I purchased them in the last year, but there were actually a lot of things I'd like which weren't built in. Over at Canon, (About half my friends in the business, and the advanced amateurs I know and am with often are Nikon, and the other half Canon.) the same is true.

I have seriously toyed with the idea of doing wireless with my cameras, but to date haven't followed through, in large part because I rather spend my money on something which will actually help me produce images. I also decided it would give me a particular "travel" advantage. It would only drop a wire and a small card reader box for me, which take up virtually no space, and have virtually no weight. (I actually carry 2 of each, just in case.) I don't off-load my images from inside the camera anyway, and it's unlikely, for the most part, that will change. My CF cards, for example, plug directly into my portable, battery powered, 500GB hard drives.

>Who knows what the future holds?

Surely not I. I am often totally baffled by Nikon's strategy of what they put into their cameras, and what they don't, especially when some features in consumer DSLRs, which would be really helpful to everyone, don't make it into the upper level and pro DSLRs, such as the Wide Viewing Angle Vari-angle TFT-LCD monitor. That feature is fantastic for news photographers when you're in a crowded press conference, or want crowd shots at an event, for example.

I think all of us get frustrated sometimes with Nikon. I can tell you the Canon people get that way too, as I'm sure do photographers using other systems.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

shipsdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2006Wed 01-May-13 03:32 PM
#15. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 14

Bob in New Orleans, US

Thanks Ned. I looked at the N2 and it's quite a bit less than the Nikon GP-1. I'm fascinated with the idea of Geotagging since I'd like this hobby of photography to be a full time passion when the day comes that I can finally retire from my career.
Having the time to travel to the places that I've only been able to read about is my goal. But in the mean time I'll keep working my way through the learning curve!

Thanks for the Pro advice as always.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 02-May-13 01:33 AM
#19. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 15

Philadelphia, US

My pleasure.

By the way, the N2 works a lot better than the GP-1 too. I did some testing and at least with the GP-1 I tried, it didn't find the satellites as quickly, and it wasn't very accurate with altitude. The GP-1 also doesn't give you the compass direction in which the camera is pointed. Finally the GP-1 is powered by the camera. The N2 is powered by its own battery and can go all day with it. It's longitude, latitude, altitude, time and compass direction are all accurate. There are other ways it's better than the Nikon too.

I use the geotag to help me identify my photos via Google Maps and other software, and help me create walking tour maps. I've documented nest locations in the local national wildlife refuge.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

CicliCiocc Registered since 01st Nov 2011Wed 01-May-13 04:01 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

You know what? GO FOR IT. So you take a little loss on what you have, but you get try out some new stuff, and it might energize the creative juices.
I've been using Nikon gear since the early 80's. BUT, I have to say it, I am personally impressed with what CANON is doing right now. I'm not saying I'm taking that leap-but I may as well.

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Wed 01-May-13 07:28 PM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

GPS for my camera? I don't even have one in my vehicle. My cameras don't need to know where they are only I do.

As far as wifi goes, maybe if I wanted a direct encrypted link to my laptop but other than that single function, I don't need or want it.

Movie? No thanks. And while you are at it get rid of all cameras with a "scene" mode and the "P" programmed auto mode.

But I digress. LOL

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Thu 02-May-13 12:55 PM
1475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

I think I prefer the Nikon approach of having wireless and GPS as accessories. That way I don't have to pay for them if I don't need them. It also helps "future-proof" the body as standards change.

Case in point: I bought a Nikon WRT-4a to provide wireless capability to my D3. It also works fine with my D4. However wireless standards have changed and the WRT-5a now provides significantly faster transfers. I have the option of upgrading if I want the improved performance without replacing the entire camera.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Thu 02-May-13 01:17 PM
738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 23
Thu 02-May-13 01:20 PM by PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US

Agree....I have never understood the geotagging thing. But I do get that some may like it....but why burden a camera with a feature not many would use ? Personally I wish you could order a camera like a car with it's options (they are getting close in price !!). I'd have definitely ordered my D4 without video, and a few other items.
Manufacturers are loading these tools up with lots of gimmicky nonsense in my opinion. It is adding to the cost and driving the price up exponentially.

Personally I think we are trying to make "everything" do everything. A GPS built in a camera as a standard item ?? I have some spectacular GPS units on my boat to tell me where I am headed.....but why do I want one on my camera ? I'm taking a photo and don't know where I am ??? Really ??

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 02-May-13 01:56 PM
#25. "RE: Seriously considering switching to Canon..."
In response to Reply # 24

Philadelphia, US

When you take the photo, you may know where you are, but will you remember every photo taken on a long trip once you return from it? I don't. Having the GPS data with every photos essentially ensures you'll be able to figure out what's in the photo via mapping software. The GPS info is like breadcrumbs. It's easier than taking notes, and doing all kinds of ID insertion before you get home, on a computer.

Moreover, sometimes you don't know where you are when you take a photo, but it's interesting to actually know. That happened to me on an Antarctic cruise when we spotted a pod of fin whales. I had the GPS location of them from the GPS connected to my camera, and when I got home pinpointed where we were in the Gerlache Strait.

I've also made great walking tour maps via my photos for friends going to some of the places I've already visited.

There are lots of uses for GPS data attached to photos. It may not be what you want, but there are sure a lot of GPS camera devices sold to make me believe many find it useful.

As to it being an accessory or in the camera. Personally I rather have it as an accessory. I've seen the ones built into cameras, and from what my tests have shown, they're not as good as the ones purchased as add-ons. Moreover, they take a lot of juice to run, so I prefer the accessory ones with their own battery.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88110 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.