Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88084
View in linear mode

Subject: "Commenting Capability" Previous topic | Next topic
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 26-Apr-13 09:04 PM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Commenting Capability"

Tacoma, US

Now that video/audio capability is in all Nikon DSLRs, why is it that you can still only record a voice comment on an image with the Pro bodies (D4, D3,etc.)? It seems like it would be easy to implement now that the hardware is built into the cameras.

I've always found this to be a handy feature when shooting with a manual lens when I want a record of the settings, or some other note about the photo.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Commenting Capability
Covey22 Moderator
29th Apr 2013
mklass Platinum Member
29th Apr 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
Covey22 Moderator
30th Apr 2013
Ned_L Moderator
01st May 2013
Omaha
02nd May 2013

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 29-Apr-13 04:41 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Feature differentiation and likely price-point. While it may be technically trivial to add, it may do so at a cost that would drive the lower-end bodies price-points up. At the low end of a product line, you're in the weeds trying to get the nickels and dimes and make your product still somewhat profitable and competitive. Think also about the use model - if you took a survey of non-enthusiast users (i.e., the real target audience) how many of them would want or care about a feature? Would they care about it's inclusion if it affected the price?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 04:46 PM
5907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

I agree on the low or mid- range models, but how about on the D800 or even D7100?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 29-Apr-13 05:51 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hard to see why there would be a cost- the video bodies already have a mic built in, and the firmware has been long done- cut and paste from the D3/D4?

I think it is pure price differentiation. I'd like to have that feature too. That is the one thing I miss from my old D2h.

my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberTue 30-Apr-13 04:54 PM
10623 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 3

US

"Hard to see why there would be a cost- the video bodies already have a mic built in, and the firmware has been long done- cut and paste from the D3/D4?"

If only firmware deltas were as simple as CTRL-C/CTRL-V. Actually, firmware might be hardware limited - you may have a headspace issue loading the image, and every line of code counts. Cost savings could extend all the way down to the chip level - so lower-tier bodies gets hardware A which costs 20 bucks. D800 and Dx series gets hardware B which costs 70 bucks. B would be able to handle a bigger firmware image and have a few more bits and bobs that makes changes easier. That's just an example, I have no breakdown on actual costs.

I wish there was a website like iFixit that would do a cost component teardown of every major DSLR and compact camera out there, but that's a pretty expensive process to inform/satisfy only a minority of users.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 01-May-13 12:32 PM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I also think it's price/feature differentiation, and nothing more. That being said, while I have the feature, I find it clunky and continue to use an app on my iPhone for the purpose of recording some quick comments about my images while shooting. It's called PhotoJot.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 02-May-13 06:14 PM
539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Commenting Capability"
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

I wonder what sort of environment they use for their firmware programming. Makes me wonder about the possibility of producing an open-architecture camera complete with SDK.

As much overlap as there is between camera-hobbyists and computer programmers, it seems like there would be a ready market for such a thing...

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #88084 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.