Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87956
View in linear mode

Subject: "Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon termi..." Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 17-Apr-13 02:47 AM
3499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon terminals?"
Wed 17-Apr-13 02:48 AM by ZoneV

US

I know this is an odd question, but I'm wondering if there is a specific camera brand (looking back at older film SLRs) that has a dedicated hotshoe with entirely different terminal positions (except for the central terminal) than Nikon. In other words, a DEDICATED flash unit of another brand that would be safe to use on a Nikon because only the center terminal would line up. I hope my question makes sense!

Anyone know about Olympus flash units for the OM-series of film SLRs in particular? I couldn't tell from pics online.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 17-Apr-13 08:53 AM
4850 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon terminals?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Well you could always use insulating tape over unwanted terminals BUT I think there could be voltage issues with non-Nikon speedlights which could fry you camera or the speedlight...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 18-Apr-13 01:35 AM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon terminals?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

If I recall, my OMs have two contacts in addition to the center contact and they are anterior to the center contact. Im not sure what you are trying to do, but you could probably put electric tape over the flash unit's contacts?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 18-Apr-13 03:22 AM
26767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon terminals?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Al,

Have you considered using a Hotshoe Adaptor between the Flash and the Camera hotshoe?
Keep in mind that some brands have the polarity reversed which can be very bad for the camera.

Best Regards,
Marty

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 18-Apr-13 12:16 PM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Other brand hotshoe that DOESN"T align with Nikon terminals?"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

True Marty! I haven't used one of those in so long, I forgot they existed.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87956 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.