nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Being Self Employed in the USA

dickiederson

San Francisco, US
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
dickiederson Silver Member Nikonian since 09th May 2009
Tue 26-Mar-13 05:13 PM

Hi guys,

My wife and I will be moving from the UK to the USA within the next few months as we have, at long last, had our Green Cards approved!

In the UK being Self Employed isn't much of a headache... I earn money as an Actor, Photographer, Sound Recordist, Filmmaker and pretty much whatever other casual jobs come my way.
I'm not earning a massive amount, but I get by!

I hope I'm missing something but it seems like this way of life might just be impossible in The States if I want to be able to:

Have Health Insurance,
Run a Car,
Have a Cell Phone,
Eat.

Are there any self employed chaps on here who could possibly shine some light at the end of my tunnel?

We're making the move because we both work incredibly hard in the creative industries in the UK. But for the past few years over here this work has been considered something you do for free. Unless you are very lucky and very well connected. We're getting better on both fronts but we've thought long and hard, vistited the USA a few times, worked for American companies, made some great contacts, fallen in love with the place and decided that it is where we want to call home...

I'd rather not have to get a job at Mcdonalds though...

www.shootingheadz.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Being Self Employed in the USA

G