Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87593
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress" Previous topic | Next topic
RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 02:04 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"

US

Wasn't sure at all where to post this.

A friend of mine put together a benefit calendar using CafePress. I sent her 6 JPGs. A couple other photographers submitted images as well.

My photos look simply terrible printed out on the calendar; the other photographs look fine.

I shoot in RAW, and process with LR4. I generated highest quality JPGs, they're 4,000 x 2,600 pixels (approx), at 300dpi. The JPGs are about 10-12Mb in size, each. When I open the JPGs on my monitors, they look fine (2 uncalibrated monitors, 1 calibrated). When I print them at 8x10, the same size as the calendar, they're fine. Suitable for framing.

My friend says that when she opens them on her computer, they're "grainy". She lives across the country, so I can't see what she means. She's verified the size of the images.

Clearly, by the time CafePress prints them, something has gone terribly wrong - it looks like they've printed out a jpg that had maybe 100x60 pixels of resolution. There's an incredible amount of pixelation, and no detail.

Any thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePr...
quenton8 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
Clint S Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
24th Mar 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
25th Mar 2013
Clint S Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
Omaha
27th Mar 2013
ericbowles Moderator
27th Mar 2013

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 02:11 PM
1283 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I wonder if your jpgs were "too large"? and someone who did not know what they were doing, reduced them in size -- not realizing the ramifications?

I remember a few years ago when my daughter sent some wedding photos to a local camera chain -- they not destroy the images, but they reported back that the files were damaged and to please re-submit. Turns out their printing would not handle over a 5Mb jpeg and treated it as damaged.

----
Dennis Smith.

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 07:01 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I wonder if your jpgs were "too large"? and someone
>who did not know what they were doing, reduced them in size --
>not realizing the ramifications?
>
>

I don't have any answers yet, but I think you're onto something.

Thanks.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 08:34 PM
454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

For CafePress calendars they state image size, 2300 px wide x 1800 px high with 50 px being trimmed from each side.

I found it very wise to follow their template sizes and use 200 dpi when outputting photos for them. Also make sure that there is no profile embedded and the image is sRGB. Embedded profiles or other color standards cause strange things to happen in their printing process.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 08:51 PM
#4. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Clint.

I think my friend inadvertently resized photos to 600x400, or thereabouts, then uploaded the resized images to CP.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 24-Mar-13 08:54 PM
4163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

Sounds like she saved the files using her email program's or browser's file viewer, rather than downloading the full file and sending it on to Cafe Press. Best to use DropBox for things like this in order to ensure the printer/publisher gets the correct file.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Mon 25-Mar-13 04:56 PM
#6. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Well, my "friend" is calling the shots. She told me that no other photographers had an issue. I did some checking around, and apparently all the othe photographers have the same issue, and are very unhappy with the results.

After figuring all this out, I offered to handle the process, but was told in no uncertain terms that she is the expert, and does not require my assistance.

Such is life.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Tue 26-Mar-13 11:51 PM
454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 6

Chula Vista, US

Gotta love them experts!

or not.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 27-Mar-13 01:05 AM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Sure sounds like someone "right-clicked" on a thumbnail in a browser and did a "save-as"...and saved the thumbnail.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 27-Mar-13 09:43 AM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need some help with a friend, some JPGs, and CafePress"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Some email programs truncate resize attached images. AOL is particularly bad about resizing or dropping images.

Many mailboxes cannot handle 10MB files. In my case, only my own email account can handle large files and it can't handle extremely large files like those from a D800. I also agree that DropBox or something similar is a better idea.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87593 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.