Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87516
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problem getting delivery!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Wed 06-Mar-13 08:50 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Problem getting delivery!!!"

US

I don't know where to post this, so I will try here.

I ordered a 70-200 mm f/4 lens for my D800. (I won't say from whom I ordered it because the dealer is reputable and my problems had nothing to do with them.) The shipper specified that a signature was required, which is reasonable for something worth $1400.

I live in a condo, and we have a system where people needing entrance are supposed to use an intercom in the outer lobby to tell us they are there. The intercom rings to our home phone, so I can answer it like a regullar call and let the person in or go down and do whatever is necessary. Unfortunately, in this case, the UPS delivery man managed to get into the inner lobby to leave off packages without using the intercom system. The first I learned about the delivery was a note on my mailbox in the inner lobby telling me he wasn't able to find anyone at home.

I then called UPS and was told I could pick the package up after 7 pm at their site. I drove for 40 minutes through a snowstorm, but when I got there, I was told the package was back "on the truck" and I couldn't have it.

Today, the delivery man also didn't use the intercom but fortunately my wife heard him banging on our door, so she was able to get the package. He seemed to be in a big hurry and he told her he would sign for her later. I should note that knoking on a door in our condo is not a reliable way to get someone's attention because if you aren't close to the door, you won't hear it,

It never occurred to me that UPS would make it so hard for me to receive my package. I don't know if this was just a stupid delivery man or the result of new policies they have implemented. I've had packages sent to me requiring a signature, but I've never had such a hard time. I've also had deliveries requiring a signature attempted when I wasn't home, and I've managed to get the package by going to the delivery agent's local location. This was the first time when a delivery agent decided I wasn't home when I was and where they refused to give me the package when I showed up that evening.

Am I just unlucky or have others of you also had problems with UPS or other shippers about deliveries?

Leonard Evens
Professor Emeritus, Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Problem getting delivery!!!
ericbowles Moderator
06th Mar 2013
leonardevens Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
07th Mar 2013
InsaneO
09th Mar 2013
liamtoh1ps
07th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
07th Mar 2013
liamtoh1ps
07th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
07th Mar 2013
liamtoh1ps
07th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
07th Mar 2013
InsaneO
09th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013
InsaneO
19th Mar 2013
20th Mar 2013
Clint S Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
dhle Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th Mar 2013
FineArtSnaps Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
07th Mar 2013
FineArtSnaps Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
KerryS Silver Member
21st Mar 2013
InsaneO
23rd Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
Dallaspilot Gold Member
07th Mar 2013
07th Mar 2013
InsaneO
09th Mar 2013
Timeshifte Gold Member
08th Mar 2013
lehew
09th Mar 2013
mborn1 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013
johno Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Zareeba Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
blw Moderator
21st Mar 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
meadowlark Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
InsaneO
23rd Mar 2013

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 06-Mar-13 10:09 PM
8703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

UPS varies. In my location they are pretty good. The driver even knows my dogs. But they will trash a package an unusually high percentage of the time.

In my brother's Brooklyn neighborhood they are unreliable - and the experience is very similar to your description with both FedEx and UPS.

Signing for a package later is a real problem. Sounds like your delivery person is not very good.

I regularly use tracking and provide alternate delivery instructions if needed, but that only works some of the time.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Wed 06-Mar-13 10:32 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>UPS varies. In my location they are pretty good. The driver
>even knows my dogs. But they will trash a package an
>unusually high percentage of the time.
>
>In my brother's Brooklyn neighborhood they are unreliable -
>and the experience is very similar to your description with
>both FedEx and UPS.
>
>Signing for a package later is a real problem. Sounds like
>your delivery person is not very good.
>
>I regularly use tracking and provide alternate delivery
>instructions if needed, but that only works some of the time.

If I pay extra -- $5-$20, depending on the package---I can have the package delivered to the UPS store across the street. The only other thing I can do is have the package delivered to my department address, but that puts an extra strain on the office staff. They have plenty of work to do taking care of active employees without having to bother with retirees like me. Also, until my leg gets better, if it ever does, I can't walk the mile up there and I can't get a parking space even if I offer to pay for it.

It shouldn't be that hard. It is very easy to make the purchase online and delivery is often "free". But it shouldn't be such a hassle, and one shouldn't have to end up paying $20 for a free delivery.

>
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera

Leonard Evens

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 11:52 PM
659 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 06-Mar-13 11:55 PM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

You could always ask for Registered Mail delivery, if they offer it. It's how the gold was shipped to Fort Knox, and it's not that expensive of a service, even.

My experiences with UPS have been similar, except they've just tagged the door with me sitting five feet from it, without ringing the bell or knocking.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Thu 07-Mar-13 08:17 PM
#17. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>UPS varies. In my location they are pretty good. The driver
>even knows my dogs. But they will trash a package an
>unusually high percentage of the time.
>
>In my brother's Brooklyn neighborhood they are unreliable -
>and the experience is very similar to your description with
>both FedEx and UPS.
>
>Signing for a package later is a real problem. Sounds like
>your delivery person is not very good.
>
>I regularly use tracking and provide alternate delivery
>instructions if needed, but that only works some of the time.
>
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera

Let me add that I live in downtown Evanston, IL, not exactly a high crime area. Delivery people apparently can use their discretion about whether or not to actually get a signature, when one is required, and they often just leave the package in the inner lobby in such cases. I have never had a package, signature or not, left in the inner lobby, stolen during the 9 years I've lived here.

I think the delivery man did attempt to actually hand the package to someone this time because of the high value ($1400), and I laud him for doing so. But I wish he had used the intercom. I can't prove it, but from what I've been able to determine, the delivery man was trying to do his job under increasingly difficult conditions put on him by UPS. And he had nothing to do with their refusal to give me the package after I drove out there in a snowstorm on the basis of what they told me on the phone.

We live in an economy where corporations are doing well. According to the NY Times, most companies have decided not to hire, despite nagging high unemployment and the needs of their customers. Apparently, they are not convinced that the economy won't collapse again, and their bottom lines are hardly suffering. It may be my imagination, but I have had the experience of less service from companies, UPS included, and I wonder if that is the reason.

Leonard Evens

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 09-Mar-13 03:34 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

Encino, US

>
>I think the delivery man did attempt to actually hand the
>package to someone this time because of the high value
>($1400), and I laud him for doing so. But I wish he had used
>the intercom.

Think about it for a second.
You want UPS to use Intercom but how?
Does UPS delivery man know which button to push?
As a precaution many condo HOAs have different number on Intercom than your actual number. Because of that there is no guaranty that UPS man will find you. Even if your Intercom name matches on the package UPS man is not going to look for it unless they have over 60 IQ.

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 12:57 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Leonard,

Have you explored creating a UPS My Choice Account?

The basic service is free and I have used it sometimes to ask them to hold the package at their delivery store and I can pick it up at my convenience (this is also free of charge).

There are other features like delivery to another address or get a 2 hour delivery window for additional charge.

Pravin.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 02:42 AM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

There is a very new twist to delivering with signature required, at least with UPS. Recently, I would have to call UPS to hold for delivery at the terminal, but they would not do so until after delivery was attempted. I would watch my iPhone for the attempted delivery and call the instant I knew delivery had been attempted.

Well, when they attempted delivery of my D800 and I called to have it held for pick up, they said I could not pick it up until the following day. UPS said it was the shipper's requirement. Sure enough, I called the shipper and they said it was a new insurance requirement. Being a long time customer of theirs, they called UPS to permit them to release it to me the day of shipment.

I think you might have been unknowingly encountering this new insurance policy. Because of this, I might never place a high value order over the Internet, so I can resolve this up front.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 02:49 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>There is a very new twist to delivering with signature
>required, at least with UPS. Recently, I would have to call
>UPS to hold for delivery at the terminal, but they would not
>do so until after delivery was attempted. I would watch my
>iPhone for the attempted delivery and call the instant I knew
>delivery had been attempted.

If you use UPS My Choice, then you can have the item on hold at the delivery store without delivery attempt. Again this is free of charge.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 02:59 AM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

I am signed up for My UPS and it won't give me that option. There is a $40 annual Membership fee for UPS Choice that might let you do that. At least it asks for a fee to enable home delivery options.I use My UPS on my iPhone to track the orders.

The trouble is, if its their customer's requirement (ie shipper) you cannot override it, because you are not the customer paying for the service.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

liamtoh1ps Registered since 17th Apr 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 03:19 AM
#8. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I have the free UPS My Choice (this is not just a regular My UPS a/c) and it allows me to hold the package at their location for free of charge. I do not pay any annual fee.

I had a regular My UPS Account but I later signed up for UPS My Choice and it does go through some additional verification steps to make sure you are the person whom you claim to be (like a credit background check). This is not done for a regular My UPS Account.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 08:57 AM
#10. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

I doubt that you can override the customer's paid for requirements though. If the customer says you cannot pick it up until the day following attempted delivery for fraud prevention reasons, you are dead on the water and at their mercy. You have to have their permission. At least that' s what UPS adamantly told me.

It will be interesting to see whether this policy will change on UPS's end.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 09-Mar-13 03:19 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 09-Mar-13 03:35 PM by InsaneO

Encino, US

>There is a very new twist to delivering with signature
>required, at least with UPS. Recently, I would have to call
>UPS to hold for delivery at the terminal, but they would not
>do so until after delivery was attempted. I would watch my
>iPhone for the attempted delivery and call the instant I knew
>delivery had been attempted.

In my area this has been forever.

>
>Well, when they attempted delivery of my D800 and I called to
>have it held for pick up, they said I could not pick it up
>until the following day. UPS said it was the shipper's
>requirement. Sure enough, I called the shipper and they said
>it was a new insurance requirement. Being a long time
>customer of theirs, they called UPS to permit them to release
>it to me the day of shipment.

In my area that would depend on the supervisor.
Sometimes I can do it after 6pm and sometimes they would have to leave it at WillCall for the next day.

>
>I think you might have been unknowingly encountering this new
>insurance policy. Because of this, I might never place a high
>value order over the Internet, so I can resolve this up
>front.

I only shop on the net regardless how high price is.
The OP mistake was that he did not requested to leave the item at WillCall. He automatically assumed that after 7pm he can pick it up.
But if there is no such request is made then item goes back on the truck.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Sat 09-Mar-13 03:39 PM
#27. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

US

>The OP mistake was that he did not requested to leave the item
>at WillCall. He automatically assumed that after 7pm he can
>pick it up.
>But if there is no such request is made then item goes back on
>the truck.

Let me chime in here as the "OP". I didn't automatically assume anything. I called UPS when I found the note posted on my mailbox. I was told by the person that I spoke to that I could go out there and pick it up after 7:00pm. He didn't say anything about "Will Call". I certainly wouldn't have driven out there through a snowstorm had I not first checked!

Also I spoke to the supervisor that same night and when I asked him if I could call the next day if the package was not delivered and get it that night, he said I could. He said nothing about Will Call for the day after.

I finally learned about "Will Call" when speaking on the phone to yet a third UPS representative. When I asked the same question, after some checking, he told me that because of the conditions set on that particular package by the shipper, I could only arrange for Will Call the next day, even if the package was not delivered. Incidentally, when I called the vendor, they told me that the condition was not purposely set by them.

My best guess is that the fine print of the agreement between UPS and the shipper set some conditions that were not generally known to any of the people answering the phones. So, although I may have been foolish to believe what UPS representatives told me, I didn't make any "assumptions" beyond that.

>
>
>
>
>
>

Leonard Evens

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Tue 19-Mar-13 11:01 PM
#31. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

Encino, US

Are you saying that in your long life you have never been to UPS station before? All UPS station have Will Call or pick-up. What do you think happens to those people who are not at home but get a package that requires signature? They come to the station to pick it up. UPS makes 3 attempts and if they can't deliver they will give another 3 days or so for you to pick it up, after that it ships back to original sender.
Personally I would raise hell if someone told me I can pick it up and it was not there. Since trucks are parked after 6pm (not during the gift holidays) they could easily find it and pull it off the truck. If they refused I would ask to speak to the supervisor but I can guaranty I would not leave without my package.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Wed 20-Mar-13 05:19 PM
#32. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 31

US

>Are you saying that in your long life you have never been to
>UPS station before? All UPS station have Will Call or pick-up.
>What do you think happens to those people who are not at home
>but get a package that requires signature? They come to the
>station to pick it up. UPS makes 3 attempts and if they can't
>deliver they will give another 3 days or so for you to pick it
>up, after that it ships back to original sender.
>Personally I would raise hell if someone told me I can pick it
>up and it was not there. Since trucks are parked after 6pm
>(not during the gift holidays) they could easily find it and
>pull it off the truck. If they refused I would ask to speak to
>the supervisor but I can guaranty I would not leave without my
>package.

I remember going to pick something up at FedEx, but I don't remember having had to do it for UPS. But I can't say it hasn't happened at least once in my "long life". But when I got out there, I had to hunt around for a while to find the right place, and it didn't seem familiar.

Also I called UPS to find out if I could pick up my package that day and I was told I could after 7 pm. So you will have to excuse me for believing what I was told by a UPS representative. As I said above, I have picked up packages before, probably from FedEx, and I'm pretty sure I was able to do it the same day.

When I was told that the package was back on the truck, I did speak to a supervisor on the phone and was told there was nothing he could do to accommodate me. I suppose that if I'd had some way to talk to some higher ranking UPS executive, I could have got my package, but I didn't see anyway to do that, and the people there claimed there was absolutely nothing I could do about the matter.

When I spoke to a UPS representative the next day, I was told there was something special about the package, set by the shipper, that required a next day Will Call, but when I called the shipper, they denied having any say in the matter.

I don't easily give up on something like this, and I really did everything in my power to get my package.

Leonard Evens

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Thu 07-Mar-13 05:52 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

I do not see this as UPS making it difficult to get a package, but fulfilling their obligation to deliver the product and get a signature as required by the shipper. If UPS tries to make a delivery and misses us, I call and have the item held at their facility. But I do not go get it till the following evening.

I have since joined UPS My Choice, know the day before delivery and can have them hold the item for pickup - at no charge. There are other options as well but there are charges associated them.

FedEx on the other hand has made receipt of items easy. If the supplier has a shipping choice I'll pick FedEx even if it cost a few more dollars.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

dhle Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jun 2006Thu 07-Mar-13 10:20 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

SG

I tend to be lucky with FedEx on time delivery, not UPS.

Recently I picked a 3 days delivered of a Pelican case for my wife to bring oversea for me. UPS supposed to deliver the case one day before her trip. At last minute UPS decided to deliver one day later. The case is now in US waiting for me until May when I fly back to US.

I was upset and sent an email asking for a return. Got an email from the store that I have to pay for the shipping of returned good.
Is this a fair practice? I paid for the service and get penalized when the seller (or his contractor) did not do their job.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Mar-13 11:55 AM
3346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

I suppose it depends on the way the specific day of delivery was quoted or promised. If it was promised as part of the contact and the contract was not adhered to, you should be able to get a full refund since you did not get what you paid for.
If the shipping details was more vague than a promise of a specific date, than you would be liable for return shipping and a restocking fee if any.
My business I had before moving here to Russia involved shipping a lot of delicate equipment every day. I used FedEx, UPS and USPS and sent or received 5-20 packages from each every day.
I started with high regard for UPS, our driver was very good, always looked out for us but when there was a long term strike by drivers nationwide, everything changed. The insurance we always paid extra for was from a contracted underwriter who paid claims quickly and simply. About once a month we had a damage or missing delivery claim in the $500-3000 range. After the strike, to cut costs UPS became self insuring and raised the insurance rates. In the two years after that we never got a claim paid. Few were even acknowledged to have been filed. Talking with other business owners indicated the same was happening to them. I figure UPS still owns me $18,000 but never admit to any more than "We are still investigating the claim"....for 11 years! Work rules changed also so drivers were put under a lot more pressure for speed so the famous YouTube videos of UPS delivery drivers just tossing packages marked as fragile, over fences or unloading items by throwing out onto the street became the norm.
We found the most reliable, for safe handling of expensive gear was the USPS, then FedEx, and last UPS, which went from first place to last place in 6 months.
A few general rules for receiving packages: Be home on the delivery day and post a large sign to knock because you are home. The standard driver report is the home owner was not available so they left in on the doorstep when just before the item disappeared. The policy is to just leave boxes on the property and assume no further responsibility.
Have the shipper require signature for delivery.
If the box has any external punctures or crushed corners or sides, do not accept it unless the driver witnesses your unpacking. UPS accepts almost no shipping damage claims unless there is massive destruction of the box with puncture holes. Get witnesses and take photos before and during opening. A D800 in a crushed box might end up being a heavy loss for you and no recourse unless there are puncture damage noted before acceptance, and signed by the driver. If in doubt, do not open it and refuse it. If you open it, you might loose that option of sending it back.

It would be interesting to note what percentage of D800 AF problems were shipped through UPS. I picked up mine at a store that receives their products on pallets and had no AF issues. After seeing the types of hidden damage the gear I was sending was getting with UPS versus the damage when shipped by the post office, it was clear they had different procedures and care taken in handling packages. Another nice thing about the USPS was that they supplied all the boxes and shipping materials for free for commercial shippers. That saved thousands of dollars each year.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 01:28 PM
316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Manitou Springs, US

The solution is simple. Insist on FedEx. The difference is that unlike UPS, FedEx isn't unionized. In may cases that doesn't matter but in many cases it does. One thing I see consistently: If the UPS tracking page says my package will arrive on Tuesday, it'll arrive on Tuesday even if it gets to my city on Friday. With FedEx the same package probably will arrive Saturday; Monday at the latest.

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 05:42 PM
#14. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Powder Springs, US

I always say that UPS's motto is: No package delivered before it's time!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

FineArtSnaps Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jun 2012Tue 19-Mar-13 06:31 PM
316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"

Manitou Springs, US

Just happened again. An SU800 shipped by UPS arrived in town early Monday, but I won't get it until Wednesday. If it'd been FedEx I'd have had it Monday.

Russ Lewis
www.FineArtSnaps.com
www.russ-lewis.com

KerryS Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2012Thu 21-Mar-13 02:07 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 30

Sedro Woolley, WA, US

>Just happened again. An SU800 shipped by UPS arrived in town
>early Monday, but I won't get it until Wednesday. If it'd been
>FedEx I'd have had it Monday.

This is not true if the item is shipped FedEx smartpost. I ordered an item I needed quickly and paid for 2 day shipping. The vendor chose to use FedEx 2 day smartpost. I tracked my item up to the town I live in. It arrived early on a Friday morning. I fully expected to get my item that morning with our standard FedEx deliveries. When it did not arrive I checked with FedEx and was told that the final delivery would be done by the US Postal Service. I tried to find it at the Postal Service but that was an exercise in futility. Basically it was lost somewhere inside the US Postal Service's facilities and no one knew where. It finally arrived on Tuesday the following week. FedEx's two day shipping took six days and used two different carriers. I sent the item back because I no longer had a need for it since it was 4 days late. I am not sure who to blame; FedEx or the vendor. For now I am pissed at both.

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 05:06 PM
#38. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 34

Encino, US

>>Just happened again. An SU800 shipped by UPS arrived in
>town
>>early Monday, but I won't get it until Wednesday. If it'd
>been
>>FedEx I'd have had it Monday.
>
>This is not true if the item is shipped FedEx smartpost. I
>ordered an item I needed quickly and paid for 2 day shipping.
>The vendor chose to use FedEx 2 day smartpost. I tracked my
>item up to the town I live in. It arrived early on a Friday
>morning. I fully expected to get my item that morning with
>our standard FedEx deliveries. When it did not arrive I
>checked with FedEx and was told that the final delivery would
>be done by the US Postal Service. I tried to find it at the
>Postal Service but that was an exercise in futility.
>Basically it was lost somewhere inside the US Postal Service's
>facilities and no one knew where. It finally arrived on
>Tuesday the following week. FedEx's two day shipping took six
>days and used two different carriers. I sent the item back
>because I no longer had a need for it since it was 4 days
>late. I am not sure who to blame; FedEx or the vendor. For
>now I am pissed at both.

Blame everyone!!!!!
Smartpost was created because Fedex or UPS are private companies and neither wanted to drive far away from the area to deliver one single package. USPS is a government entity and was mandated to deliver as far as necessary. But Fedex and UPS now using USPS no matter where delivery is. It is good for USPS because they get a slice of the pie.
And it is good for the UPS and Fedex because they don't have to drive far away.
The problem is that USPS is not reliable. I try to avoid Smartpost like a plague.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 22-Mar-13 01:04 AM
26123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"

US

Hi Russ,

In my experience the opposite is true.
If the package arrives at the local distribution center before 6AM is is delivered that day. If not it is delivered the next day. Sometimes ahead of schedule, the rest of the time as scheduled.
I have had FedEx packages sit in the local distribution center for up to a few days to be delivered as scheduled.
I guess it depends on the personnel at local distribution center and maybe the driver.

Best Regards,
Marty

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 22-Mar-13 02:06 AM
3052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 35

McEwen, US

>Hi Russ,
>
>In my experience the opposite is true.
>If the package arrives at the local distribution center before
>6AM is is delivered that day. If not it is delivered the next
>day. Sometimes ahead of schedule, the rest of the time as
>scheduled.
>I have had FedEx packages sit in the local distribution center
>for up to a few days to be delivered as scheduled.
>I guess it depends on the personnel at local distribution
>center and maybe the driver.

It also depends on the service type requested. If the truck is full of "next-day" packages and yours is not, yours will sit at the terminal until there is space for it.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Thu 07-Mar-13 07:04 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

When I lived in Los Angeles and traveled more days than I was home, I rented a commercial mailbox at one of the facilities that accepts your mail for you, then puts in in your box or holds it for you. I rented a 1+ cubic foot box so that packages could be put there and I could pick them up at any time of night, like on my way home from the airport at midnight.
This was an affordable and workable solution. It wasn't perfect, but worked for me. Before doing that, a fairly valuable package was delivered to my door without a signature requirement. The package apparently was stolen. UPS showed they delivered it, and I was out of town for about a week, so who really knows. Since it was "delivered", I had no recourse and took the loss. The occurred within a condominium complex with about 500 residents, so anything could have happened.

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Thu 07-Mar-13 07:51 PM
#16. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 08-Mar-13 11:53 PM by leonardevens

US

>When I lived in Los Angeles and traveled more days than I was
>home, I rented a commercial mailbox at one of the facilities
>that accepts your mail for you, then puts in in your box or
>holds it for you. I rented a 1+ cubic foot box so that
>packages could be put there and I could pick them up at any
>time of night, like on my way home from the airport at
>midnight.
>This was an affordable and workable solution. It wasn't
>perfect, but worked for me. Before doing that, a fairly
>valuable package was delivered to my door without a signature
>requirement. The package apparently was stolen. UPS showed
>they delivered it, and I was out of town for about a week, so
>who really knows. Since it was "delivered", I had
>no recourse and took the loss. The occurred within a
>condominium complex with about 500 residents, so anything
>could have happened.
>

If that happened to me, I would have to accept the loss.

But that is not what happened. The package required a signature, which, by the way, was not obtained, although the package was delivered to my wife's hand the second day. I have proof positive that on both days, the delivery man obtained entrance to the building without ever talking to us. On the second day, he got our attention by banging on our door, but that is not a reliable way to do so. There are no doorbells on the unit doors, and one may or may not hear the knocker depending on where one is in the unit. He clearly had a bunch of packages to deliver, managed to gain entrance to the building and attempted to save himself some time by going from door to door and knocking. The first day it didn't work despite my being there all day, but on the second day he was lucky and it did work. But the building does have a reliable way for delivery people to gain attention, use of the intercom, and they can't rely on shortcuts working. If they do, the recipient may not get his or her package.

Still I have some sympathy for the delivery man, who was clearly under pressure to speed up his deliveries. That I blame on UPS.

Finally, I object to being told by UPS that I could pick the package up at their site after 7 pm the same day when in fact the best I could do was pick it up the following day. No one told me that, and it required some detective work on my part to find that out. It is UPS's responsibility to make sure that the people who answer their phones in fact give reliable information, and they haven't fulfilled that responsibility.

Finally, what is the point of hiring UPS to make a delivery if it will only work by having the package delivered to some special locations at increased cost. They claim they deliver to the recipient's address, and they should be expected to do that.

P.S. After getting the lens, I found that I would need the tripod collar ring to provide added stability, so I ordered one from the same vendor. But this time they decided to send it by FedEx.

Leonard Evens

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 09-Mar-13 03:26 PM
#24. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

Encino, US

If you knew you are going to be out of town why did you buy the item in the first place. You could have asked the seller to select to leave the item at the station.

Timeshifte Gold Member Nikonian since 10th May 2012Fri 08-Mar-13 05:14 AM
155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dayton, US

Back in the late 80's I was hired by a large mail order computer mfg to find out why 35% of thier product was being returned defective. The company had a packaging company design special packaging for thier computers. I attached g-sensor pads 10g and 50g to 100 computers that we shipped UPS, we got back 23 of them as defective. All of them had the 10g pad broken and 9 of them had teh 50g pad broken. I told the owner of the company I thought UPS was the problem. We moved all of the shipping to Fedex , the return rate dropped to 3%. The owner called a mtg before he switched and had the Fedex rep and the UPS rep at the table, he told the UPS rep that they were moving the contract to Fedex and when the UPS rep complained the owner told him that he expected the shipper to at least LAND the plane before dropping off his shipments. I'm not going to mention the companies name but a lot of you had thier computers, they have since left the business.

lehew Registered since 01st Nov 2005Sat 09-Mar-13 09:15 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 19

Raleigh, US

I have better luck with FedEx when a signature is required. The main FedEx and UPS locations are both inconvenient for me, but FedEx makes it very easy to re-direct a package to a FedEx Kinko location. There are several of these nearby.

Once the shipper sends me a tracking number, I can use the FedEx site to re-route the package, and I can pick it up teh same day the first delivery would have been attempted. I really wish UPS made this as easy.

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Sat 09-Mar-13 11:44 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

Taunton, US

If something I ordered needs a signature, I choose FedEx for shipping, since the FedEx facility is just down the street. Otherwise I use UPS, I known when the driver will be at my location and the driver knows me, We will wave to each other when we pass on the street

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Sat 09-Mar-13 01:43 PM
#22. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 21

US

>If something I ordered needs a signature, I choose FedEx for
>shipping, since the FedEx facility is just down the street.
>Otherwise I use UPS, I known when the driver will be at my
>location and the driver knows me, We will wave to each other
>when we pass on the street

When I lived in a house, it was much easier. But more and more of us end up iving in multi-unit condos. If the building has a doorman, he can sign for things, but, but otherwise, the delivery people as well as other vistors to the building have to use an intercom system of some sort to get our attention. When delivering several packages to the building, which is usually the case, the delivery people don't want to bother using the intercom. They manage to get into the building and leave packages. In the p resent case, where a signature was required and the value of the package was high enough, the delivery man apparently came up to my door and knocked. It would be easier if we had a doorbell, but the developer didn't provide any, and there are rules about adding anything to the outside of a unit door, so I can't add a doorbell myself. I usually hear the knocking, but if I am at a point far away from the front door, I may miss it.

Leonard Evens

johno Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd May 2006Sat 09-Mar-13 03:31 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

St. Louis, US

Either give your delivery guy a key and $50 to be more diligent or have it sent to a buddy with a house.

Another good option would be to move and get a man or maid servant to handle whatever menial tasks the Condo regime provides for your maintenance convenience. May be cheaper than your fees.

Living somewhere where someday else tells you what you can put on the door is another can of worms. I will live under a bridge before I ever move anywhere again wth any sort of neighborhood association. They are instruments of great tyranny over the already limited rights of the individual. I hate them. But I digress.

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Tue 19-Mar-13 11:24 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 25
Tue 19-Mar-13 11:26 AM by Zareeba

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

It's instructive to read about the difficulties people living in the US have had with UPS - it seems that in the UK they are a different kettle of fish. I can't speak for ther people, but my husband and I send and receive a lot of packages and wherever possible we use UPS - we have found them to be far and away the most reliable of the courier services available in the UK. Our local UPS driver knows us now and if he calls for a package that for some reason isn't quite ready he comes back for it later! Even if we don't use their guaranteed next day delivery service, 99% of the time packages sent by us arrive at their destination the following day or, failing that, the day after. I've never yet received a damaged package through them.

But of course that's only our experience - and equally, what might make a difference is the fact that most people in the UK live in a house rather than apartments (although in some big cities such as London that might be different).

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

leonardevens Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2011Tue 19-Mar-13 03:49 PM
#29. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

US

>It's instructive to read about the difficulties people living
>in the US have had with UPS - it seems that in the UK they are
>a different kettle of fish. I can't speak for ther people, but
>my husband and I send and receive a lot of packages and
>wherever possible we use UPS - we have found them to be far
>and away the most reliable of the courier services available
>in the UK. Our local UPS driver knows us now and if he calls
>for a package that for some reason isn't quite ready he comes
>back for it later! Even if we don't use their guaranteed next
>day delivery service, 99% of the time packages sent by us
>arrive at their destination the following day or, failing
>that, the day after. I've never yet received a damaged package
>through them.
>
>But of course that's only our experience - and equally, what
>might make a difference is the fact that most people in the UK
>live in a house rather than apartments (although in some big
>cities such as London that might be different).
>
>

A lot of people in the US live in houses. I don't know if it is the majority, but it must be close. But, increasingly, many people find it more convenient to live in condos or rental apartments. In our case, we had to sell our house and buy a condo because my wife had increasing difficulty climbing stairs. Of course, we could have installed something in our house to help with that, but that still would have left the problems of mowing the grass and shovelling snow.
In short, we would either have had to hire servants or move to a condo, and the latter was much the simpler and less expensive way to go.

Leonard Evens

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 21-Mar-13 11:05 AM
26722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#33. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I too have had VASTLY better experience with FedEx than with UPS. The person who had shock sensors in the boxes is similar to what I've gone through. I had a 110lb stereo amplifier dropped so hard that it bent a 1/4" plate steel base. The UPS claims inspector had to admit that it was dropped, probably from the ramp. It was 110lbs, but it also bent that steel plate like it was a tin foil toy. Believe it or not it was still working and sound was not obviously impacted, although the cosmetic appearance was clearly quite spectacularly affected. A few months later they dropped a much lighter tube amplifier hard enough to damage all four tubes - and this one was packed in a double plywood crate. Ie a custom plywood crate, inside of another one, with solid foam blocks between the crates. Apparently that one was dropped straight down as there was little damage to the crates. This amp probably only weighed about 20lbs, less than the weight of the two crates, but still not a featherweight kind of thing.

More recently I've filed two other claims with UPS, both on moderately heavy items - one was a flat pack set of wooden bookshelves.

FedEx doesn't have a perfect record either, but it's a LOT better.

I will say that all five claim incidents (four with UPS, one with FedEx) have been handled well by the carriers once I filed claims. This is over the span of 10 or 11 years, but most of the UPS ones were concentrated in two years.

I recall having some difficulties with a UPS delivery and some confusion as to where one had to be and when to pick it up, but I don't remember the details. For about the past five or six years I have always specified FedEx delivery when the option is available. Unfortunately it's not always an option. LensRentals and KEH, just to name a pair of shippers relevant to this audience, ship ONLY by UPS.

And I'll close with one comment on a delivery from KEH, which of course is via UPS. In the past few years UPS has showed status on their web site - and this one was one that I was watching like a hawk. NAS, you know... and it was expensive - I think it was my 85/2.8 PC. Well, I noticed that the package had been delivered, so I went out to check. Nothing. I looked around. I called UPS. They said it had been put on the front porch. I told them that I'd been pretty much sitting on the front porch waiting for it, and by the way I was standing on the front porch as I was calling and it definitely WAS NOT THERE. They suggested that someone else may have brought it inside, but no, it was not inside and besides, I was the only one home. And while it was possible, I really didn't think that someone had come and swiped it off the porch literally in the couple of minutes that I had gone inside. They called the driver. And then about fifteen minutes later, he came back... with the package. Sheepishly, he admitted that it had been delivered to the wrong front porch... Note that KEH always requires signature when the declared value is over about $1000, which this one was.

I know nobody's perfect, but there's a pretty fair discrepancy in the records between UPS and FedEx.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 22-Mar-13 02:14 AM
3052 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

UPS is your problem.

For future reference.... specify any seller ship FedEx and send you the tracking number.

You can track the package all the way. If it is signature required, you (the recipient) can have it held at a FedEx facility for pickup, as long as you have the tracking number. Or you can request that the shipper do that. That is an option on ALL FedEx shipments, except those containing regulated quantities of hazardous materials.

If a package does not require "direct signature" FedEx will often leave a doortag that you can sign. Leave it for them the next day and they will then leave the package. But insured packages require a "direct signature" and you must sign for the package at the time of delivery or pickup, a doortag can't be used.

FedEx offers much more recipient-friendly service in this regard than UPS.

Unfortunately for me, the closest FedEx facility that offers a hold for pickup service is an hour drive away. (I live out in the sticks!) But they will hold it there until I come get it, and not have it floating around on a truck.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sat 23-Mar-13 06:59 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Overall, I've had much better luck with UPS than FedEx, and this is measured over 100s of packages. But I will say this: we have an excellent UPS driver - that probably makes a lot of difference.

FedEx ground is abysmal, right up there with the USPS. FedEx Air is ok. Over a couple dozen packages, I've never had a successful delivery from FedEx ground. I've lodged many complaints against them.

So, I think that maybe it depends on where you live.

One positive suggestion: if I want a meaningful response these days, I use Twitter. I've had situations where I was getting zero satisfaction from the UPS 800 number; I fire off a public tweet mentioning @UPS, and within 15 minutes I have a tweet reply with a direct dial number, and I get the situation resolved to my satisfaction. Including having a manager making a special trip to drop off a package at 8PM in his personal car.

meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 23-Mar-13 07:19 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

Just a thought. If he can gain entry to your building without being "buzzed" in, it would seem logical that he would go directly to your condo. Much faster then an intercom and then waiting. SOunds like you do not have a door bell.

QED

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 07:51 PM
#41. "RE: Problem getting delivery!!!"
In response to Reply # 40

Encino, US

>Just a thought. If he can gain entry to your building
>without being "buzzed" in, it would seem logical
>that he would go directly to your condo. Much faster then an
>intercom and then waiting. SOunds like you do not have a door
>bell.
>
>QED
>
I live next to a condo complex with over 500 units. As a Real Estate Agent I have a hard time in that complex. UPS people want to spend 30 seconds per delivery. That is why they would leave the package at the door even when signature is required. I had them leave over 10K package at my door several times. Their response to my complain was "Did you get the package in satisfactory condition?" "Yes" " Click.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87516 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.