nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87352
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you change lenses?" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSat 09-Mar-13 10:50 AM
947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do you change lenses?"
Sat 09-Mar-13 10:53 AM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

I'm sure this question must have been asked in the past, but I couldn't find anything through a NikoScope search.

When you're shooting in the field and need to change lenses on the fly, do you take the time to replace the front and rear lens caps on the removed lens? Or do you simply stow the naked lens in your bag or in your pocket in the interest of saving time? A professional photographer told me that he doesn't have time to replace lens caps while changing. That got my attention, since I've always handled my equipment with kid gloves (and I'm sure many (perhaps most) Nikonians, do the same).

So, is there anyone out there who does not replace lens caps while changing? If so, how do you minimize dirt/dust issues?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you change lenses?
Scotty Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Mar 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Mar 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
prreid Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
dagoldst Gold Member
10th Mar 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
11th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
09th Mar 2013
micro Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Floridian Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
archivue Gold Member
10th Mar 2013
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Apr 2013
PAStime Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
10th Mar 2013
grizzly200
10th Mar 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
10th Mar 2013
Chuckvr Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
10th Mar 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
10th Mar 2013
Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer
10th Mar 2013
ZDude
10th Mar 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
10th Mar 2013
irishguards
10th Mar 2013
cocavaak Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
rayvaldovinos Gold Member
11th Mar 2013
Clint S Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
11th Mar 2013
DinoCardelli
11th Mar 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
11th Mar 2013
RetCombatVet
12th Mar 2013
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
12th Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
18th Mar 2013
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
21st Mar 2013
2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
18th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Mar 2013
mwhals Silver Member
04th Apr 2013

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 09-Mar-13 11:50 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

change them as quick as possible - lenses are my tools; they live in my bag and get cleaned if dirty. When working I can't always take the time to mess about with caps - especially when working with animals or children so the lens just gets thrown in the bag and sorted out when I have time later on... It may seem rough, but that's the way it has to be I'm afraid.

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 01:41 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

If you practice, you can place caps on a lens in about three seconds.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 02:56 PM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

I seldom install caps when I am photographing -- I drop the lens on its side into the space in my bag the camera goes, IF the bag is handy, if not I just lay it down wherever is handy.

You may be able to put a cap on in 3 seconds, but in 3 seconds you may well lose the shot -- it takes long enough just to change the lens.

I am NOT a professional -- but have been photographing for over 40 years and have never damaged a lens in this way.

I DO put things back together when I am done!

----
Dennis Smith.

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 06:32 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 4

Punta Gorda, US

>You may be able to put a cap on in 3 seconds, but in 3 seconds
>you may well lose the shot -- it takes long enough just to
>change the lens.
>

OK, so three seconds may be too much time to spend protecting your lens from being scratched.

How about developing ambidexterity to the point that while your camera body is hanging from a strap around your neck you can uncap one lens while you're removing the other from the body and then cap the removed lens at the same time that you're installing the uncapped lens. That should really cut down the time needed to change a lens, reduce the number of missed shots and protect your lenses from being scratched.

Clyde

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 09:24 PM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 09-Mar-13 09:25 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

>
>OK, so three seconds may be too much time to spend protecting
>your lens from being scratched.

Never had a scratched lens in 40 years of photography (well, only about 30 using something that changes lenses )

>
>How about developing ambidexterity to the point that while
>your camera body is hanging from a strap around your neck you
>can uncap one lens while you're removing the other from the
>body and then cap the removed lens at the same time that
>you're installing the uncapped lens. That should really cut
>down the time needed to change a lens, reduce the number of
>missed shots and protect your lenses from being scratched.
>

----
Dennis Smith.

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sun 10-Mar-13 12:45 AM
#14. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 12

Punta Gorda, US

>
>Never had a scratched lens in 40 years of photography (well,
>only about 30 using something that changes lenses )
>

Neither have I over the same period of time. We both must be doing something right.

I would just hate to accidently have a lens scratched due to my haste in trying to get a shot so I almost always take the precautions. Like others indicate in this thread, if you set up a routine you don't even think about it when you cap your lens and it really takes next to no time. Better safe than sorry.

Clyde

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Sat 09-Mar-13 02:49 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I guess there are multiple answers to this, but I think protecting your lens is extremely important and a rear (protective) lens cap can be rapidly (re-)placed. If you don't want to do that I would, at least, carry some (clean) re-sealable plastic bags to hold the un-mounted, un-capped lens.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 09-Mar-13 04:01 PM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 3

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

that would take far too long... time is money and shots missed...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 03:57 PM
2373 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 5

Little Rock, US

>that would take far too long... time is money and shots
>missed...

Hmmm, well, it seems at least two identical bodies are in order with different lenses, just like the pro sports folks do.

If money is on the table, that is...

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 11-Mar-13 05:17 AM
6855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 5

Philadelphia, US

When shooting, when out in the field I'm using my Think Tank modular belt system virtually all the time, even when I'm also using a backpack with some extra equipment, and non-photo gear, like food, drink, clothes, and emergency supplies. I put the lenses in and out generally with no lens caps at all, though I have them with me. When through shooting, the caps go on, and when traveling, they are on.

I'm with Alex. Taking time to recap lenses can make me miss a shot, and frankly, the TT modules do a great job protecting the lenses and keeping them clean while shooting.

I will add that rather than constantly switching lenses, I often use two camera/lenses at a shoot where I would otherwise be switching lenses often. For example, at a recent event I was covering as a stringer, I knew I would be using my 24-70mm most of the time, so that was mounted on my primary body. I also realized I was going to need some wider shots regularly, so I had another body with my 16-35mm mounted. For other shots using other lenses, I had to switch lenses. That was done swapping with the 2nd body.

I bring this up because I wanted to inject that there are several ways to attack problems.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 04:50 PM
#6. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 09-Mar-13 04:51 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Part of the original question was "how do you minimize dirt/dust"?

• to be quite honest, dirt and dust are not on my mind at that point in time
  • if you read the post and external references in a current thread here on use of wet wipes for cleaning lenses -- most dirt and dust at least on the front element won't affect things that much, at least not what you might get in a couple of hours
  • on the topic of "cleaning your lens" -- clean you bag! Vacuum it (after removing your contents!). In fact, keep everything you use as clean and free of dust as possible, when you have the free time.
  • I tend to put my lens down on its side, not vertically as its normally stored when its capped -- that way the dust has to fly up to get on the lens
  • cap the lenses when you are done

----
Dennis Smith.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 09-Mar-13 04:59 PM
18629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I'm generally slow and deliberate so I take my time with putting lens caps on (front and rear). When shooting, I typically have lens hoods mounted so if I'm rushing to get a shot and have to change lenses, I'll just drop it into the camera bag front element down - the lens hood will protect it and slap on the rear cap of the lens that I'm about to use. Top cover of the bag gets closed. Lens caps typically go in the right front pocket until I have time to sort everything out.

After every shoot, the lenses gets wiped down and equipment sorted for the next time.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 09-Mar-13 05:04 PM
#8. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 09-Mar-13 05:05 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Depends on what you are shooting.

I remember last Easter Sunday sitting quietly in our Church hall looking through my 70-300 at the workers in the kitchen when I heard many little feet running down the stairs -- someone said "Easter Egg Hunt". I figure I had about 2 or 3 seconds to switch to something wider before 30 kids burst into the hall.

On the other hand, shooting posed individuals or groups, I can blabber on for 10 or 15 seconds while shifting equipment -- so "it depends" -- but I tend to do the quick changes all the time -- guess so I don't have to think.

----
Dennis Smith.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 08:10 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I recap all the lenses at the end of the shoot. Normal handling, leaving caplets lenses in bags, even placing lenses on the floor (except for protruding elements), won't harm them in any way. At least it hasn't in almost 50 years!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Sat 09-Mar-13 09:09 PM
506 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

I hardly ever change lenses.I have three cameras and almost always have two of them hanging on me.If you might miss a shot putting your lens caps back on then how many do you miss changing your lenses?I wait untill a cameras replacment comes out and then buy the camera being replaced for close to half of the original price.I still change lenses at times,just before the shoot,not during.I'm not saying any specific way is right or wrong,just sharing how I do it. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 09:26 PM
2760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I always replace the caps, and I'm pretty methodical in my lens changing. I might make an exception if I needed to to get a shot, but in practice, I find that I have time to change lenses by:

1. Place the front lens cap on the lens I'm removing.

2. Set the lens I'm going to mount down with the rear cap up. Loosen the rear cap on that lens.

3. Remove the lens on the camera, setting it with the rear element up. Move the rear cap from the lens being installed on top of the lens just removed.

4. Mount the new lens on the camera.

5. After the new lens is mounted on the camera, tighten the rear cap I have already placed over the lens just removed.

6. The removed lens is now secured with both caps on. Remove the front cap from the lens just mounted and I'm ready to shoot.

This just takes a few seconds. I don't even think about it because I do it so often. With a repetitive action like this, muscle memory takes over and the change happens really fast. The camera body and rear elements of my lenses are exposed for only the briefest period of time.

As for dirt/dust issues, I may clean my sensor once or twice a year, but I really don't have those issues, probably at least in part because I am careful to minimize the time my camera and rear lens elements are uncovered.

This may not apply to everyone, but I really don't find myself in a situation where this method is too slow.

Randy

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Sun 10-Mar-13 09:37 AM
5520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 13

Paris, FR

Yep, that exactly how I do it too...
Adding that in the meantime I keep the camera looking downward (and/or out of main wind) 8
I'm usually having the "new" lens in the cradle of the arm (#2 & #3), and put back the used lens in a "safe" place (pocket or bag) after #5 and before #6 (some pictures aren't worth the noise of a lens crashing on the pavement !)

Of course, years of training, changing film with a Leica M at marriages, helps a lot...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 04-Apr-13 04:44 PM
6642 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Randy this is exactly how I have been doing it also for a long long time. I find if I plan carefully I can always make a change like this during a lull in the action. IMO most dirt & dust enters the body from the dirty lens you are mounting to it and not just having the body open. Leaving the lens uncovered just make it that much easier.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 10-Mar-13 03:02 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

I've seen pros (people making money shooting) keep front and rear lens caps off as they rapidly switch among 2 or 3 lenses. Since it is "only" a hobby for me, I usually keep lens caps on whenever a lens is not in use.

When I am changing lenses, I try stay attentive to what I'm doing (for example, by talking to myself in my head) so I don't do something silly like placing my 70-200 VRII in a bag and then tipping the bag up and dumping the lens onto a concrete floor.

Peter

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 03:17 AM
4920 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I have been shooting film and digital SLRs since the 1980s as a hobby.
- Remove the old lens from the camera, drop into the bag hood down
- Transfer the end cap from the new lens to the old one.
- Put the new lens on the camera.
- Remove the lens cap from the new lens, drop into bag/pocket
- When done shooting put all the front caps back on the lenses.

Dust has never been a concern for the mid-change.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sun 10-Mar-13 05:02 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Solano County, California, US

New lens out of bag, then loosen rear cap. Old lens off, same rear cap on, new lens on, old lens to bag. Takes 10 seconds. And I do put the rear cap on right away. Rear element scratches scare me.

James

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 10-Mar-13 08:15 AM
3574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 17

Dyserth, UK

I tilt the camera forwards to avoid ingress of nasties, undo the strap first if connected to a tripod ring, release the lens, place in bag, fit new lens, reconnect strap to tripod ring. I say this because if the kit is carried with a sling strap attached to a tripod ring rather than the camera body, take care to remember not to let go of the body! I saw a guy with a Canon 5D do exactly that and watched in disbelief as the camera descended to a concrete path and a premature death. The camera was new and it's a long time since I've seen a grown man cry

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 11:26 AM
35262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Mar-13 11:31 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

At least replace the rear cap on the displaced lens.
All of my lenses have an A2 warming filter on, so the front cap is not critical.
However, I find myself almost always finding the time to put on the front cap too in the lens before it goes into the bag.
It helps that most of them are 77mm size.

As Jacques has mentioned, dismounting a lens and mounting the new one is mostly dustless when the camera is facing down and protected with your own body against the wind.

Only at places like White Sands this built-in reflex practice has not been enough to keep the dust away from the sensor.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Chuckvr Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2009Sun 10-Mar-13 12:13 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 20

Flat Rock, US

Treat your lens with TLC.
Here is Nikon solution with their SB-8 case, which I have adopted in required situations.
Three lens can be nested, locked in, in the F-mount lens retainer in the bottom of the bag with no rear lens caps. The case hung from your neck opens away from you exposing a handy and fast lens changing platform. I haven't done the timing but this solution saves a step with everything secure and protected.
A couple of photos may illustrate. Admittedly this is an old case, though I prefer the word classic. When the bag finally fails, I will remove the lens mounting plate, which is screwed into the bottom of the case and build it into a new bag.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 10-Mar-13 01:06 PM
8252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: How do you change lenses?"

Powder Springs, US

I do the same. The rear cap goes on every time and the front goes on, if there's time. I have Nikon clear filters on my lenses. I have one of the Optech dual rear caps and need a couple more. They prevent swapping or fumbling for caps.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011Sun 10-Mar-13 02:14 PM
3098 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: How do you change lenses?"

McEwen, US

>At least replace the rear cap on the displaced lens.
>All of my lenses have an A2 warming filter on, so the front
>cap is not critical.
>However, I find myself almost always finding the time to put
>on the front cap too in the lens before it goes into the bag.
>It helps that most of them are 77mm size.
>
>As Jacques has mentioned, dismounting a lens and mounting the
>new one is mostly dustless when the camera is facing down and
>protected with your own body against the wind.
>
>Only at places like White Sands this built-in reflex practice
>has not been enough to keep the dust away from the sensor.
>

This is what I do.

However, I have an amazing inability to keep up with my front lens caps. I finally gave up and ordered a bunch of generic replacements. Have yet to scratch a lens because I keep a hood on 99% of the time.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 04:32 PM
4615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, UK

I always put the rear cap on. If the lens has a hood, I don't necessarily put the front cap on.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

ZDude Registered since 28th Feb 2007Sun 10-Mar-13 04:42 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well, no specific methodology for me on Lens cap changing, just do what comes naturally. If I'm shooting some action, they just seem to fly on and off and get sorted out later in the bag. "Normally" though I do tend to cap them when I have the time. And, "normally" I brush / wipe or least check them for dirt before putting them on a body. I guess I do have one "tradition" and that is never keep a lens cap on while it's on the camera.

----------------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words! I took a photograph and couldn't think of that many. I guess I'll keep trying!

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sun 10-Mar-13 05:31 PM
1220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

I'm a fanatic about the body cap for the lens (that cap closest to the body....but the end cap for the lens is actually my UV filter. I wipe that filter down prior to shooting but it protects the lens surface just fine.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 10-Mar-13 07:07 PM
820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lincoln, US

I've read all responses and I think my own approach is most similar to Martin Turner's, although the detail may be different.

For shoots or outings during which I expect to change lenses on-the-fly, I always use a Think Tank harness + belt with pockets holding lenses that are selected for the particular occasion. Immediately to the left of the buckle, I ALWAYS have TT's large drop-in lens pocket and, BTW, I normally rely on lens hoods to protect the front elements of my lenses (OK, so not with fisheye lenses). I want the lenses to be able to give the very best images of which they are capable. For me, the only filters worth using are polarisers or ND, unless shooting on a beach or in a desert, where I would use a good, multicoated, plain filter for added protection.

The procedure is to remove the lens using both hands. After removal, one hand places it into the open drop-in pocket, front downwards. The second hand holds the camera with the lens "port" downwards. Depending where the new lens is located, I may have to move the camera bodey between hands. The free hand removes the rear lens cap from the new lens and puts it on the lens that's in the drop-in and then removes the new lens, which is immediately installed using both hands. I've not timed myself, but the procedure can be pretty quickly executed.

I do admit that switching between three or more lenses is slower and trickier. I always keep a body cap VERY easily accessible for use when I need more time (including when the new lens is way back on the belt.

TBH, as for a Meetup shoot which I attended yesterday, when we shooters had almost no idea what to expect, I take two bodies with lenses that complement each other...

Pete

irishguards Registered since 10th Mar 2013Sun 10-Mar-13 10:16 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have basic filters on all my lenses. I just put the lens back in my bag with the back cap on, and make sure to give my lens a wipe before I shoot. I would rather not have to take the time putin on or taking off lens caps. Or worst of all, having a lens cap dangling from my lens while I am shooting.

cocavaak Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2006Sun 10-Mar-13 10:53 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 29

Boulder, US

Here is the way to do it if cleaniness is important:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/dslr.changing.lenses/

rayvaldovinos Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2009Mon 11-Mar-13 02:43 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnsville, US

I can't believe that time was really the problem. Different photographers are comfortable with different levels of care. I personally swap front caps, point camera down(my theory is less dust will drop on the sensor than if it's facing upward), remove rear cap of new lens, remove lens from camera put second lens on and then rear cap on removed lens. I think there is a possibility of dust getting into a lens without a rear cap. Especially a zoom. That's the procedure I'm comfortable with. I'm sure others are comfortable with less.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 11-Mar-13 05:52 AM
455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

More often than not, I shoot in places where I cannot place lenses down while changing them, my bag is the holding area. Typically my lenses will have the hoods on, often I do not replace the lens caps while shooting, and lenses are placed front lens down in the bag.

• I'll remove the rear cap of the lens in the bag.
• Remove the lens from the camera, replacing the rear cap, and place the lens in the bag. The camera sensor remains facing down or towards my body.
• I then remove the next lens from the bag and put it on the camera.

My oldest lens is from the early 90s and has survived this routine well.

My camera bags are cleaned and vacuumed often, and several times before reuse if I shoot at the beach, around or on the ocean, or in a dusty environment. If my lenses have go in the bag without caps it is not a big deal.

When shooting in environments like sail boats I use two cameras and do not change lenses.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 11-Mar-13 06:05 AM
6855 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 33

Philadelphia, US

Clint, you brought up an important point, which I don't recall anyone else mentioning. You clean and vacuum your camera bags often.

I do the same, and it makes a big difference in keeping my equipment clean. Sometimes, though not too often, unless the environment is particularly tough, I take a portable vacuum with me while traveling. About 18 months ago I shot extensively in the Negev and especially the Sinai desert. I brought with me my small portable vacuum, and I cleaned all my bags with it each night. It made a huge difference in the cleanliness of my gear. Of course, all the gear was thoroughly wiped down every night too, and while shooting my camera/lenses were in a Think Tank Hydrophobia to protect them from blowing sands.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Mon 11-Mar-13 06:21 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 34

Plantation, US

Rear caps and extra front's are a few $ on Amazon...

I keep a couple of extras of each in my pocket...lense off, hand in pocket, screw on rear cap and attach front...less than 5 seconds....

Takes a few seconds for the exchange and into the bag..

dc.

Visit my professional gallery.

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Mon 11-Mar-13 08:09 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

I think the answer to your question depends on the genre you're shooting, the importance of the shot - and lastly, how fleeting the moment is. Also, one might treat equipment differently if it belongs to your employer (e.g. newspaper).

Given the cost of my pro glass - I am much more inclined to spend the few seconds it takes to properly swap out lenses to avoid damage. Even given that glass (under most shooting scenarios/apertures) can see beyond minor dust spots and scuffs, the thought of putting a noticeable scratch onto my front or rear element gives me pause. Don’t get me wrong, I put my equipment through its working paces – but I endeavor to keep it clean and damage free to ensure a long life (and high resale value).

But I can also see a photojournalist and/or sports shooter doing whatever it takes to capture the money shot - and if a few seconds makes the difference between getting it (or not), I can see where a less careful approach might be warranted. But so long as they have a well-organized bag with soft walls and no free radicals (e.g. unsecured objects that will scratch), they should be ok most of the time. Of course if you’re working in a dusty environment, even weather-sealed lenses can be prone to dust particles – so if you’ve got the time, it’s always a good practice.

If time is really that important, you'll carry two cameras with different lens set ups.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

RetCombatVet Registered since 27th Aug 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 03:36 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 36
Fri 15-Mar-13 08:42 PM by jrp

Prescott Valley, US

For the most part I work in large format and usually in industrial areas.
I realize that for people on the move you may not want to change caps/lenses.
For me though the care and maintenance of my equipment is handled the same way I shoot which is preconceived and planned out.
The maintenance of equipment is, for me, an extension of the way I photograph.
Having said that normally I am creating shots not capturing them so I rarely have that sort of "must have the shot" pressure.
I did do a shot for a printing company that required 17 separate exposures on a single piece of film. My words to the lab - "my entire career is on this one piece of film". lol :=}
Isn't every shot that way? The shot turned out but that shot took 4.5 hours to shoot.
I am not a quick shot person so I rarely do not have time to maintain the equipment as I am sure everyone here does if time permits.
The key is creating the time to do that.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 06:42 PM
2549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Assuming I have time to do it by the book, I open my backpack and keeping the lens down, I detach it from the camera. In other words, I always keep the lens mount in the body pointing down. I put the lens, front element down, in a pocket in the backpack and move the rear cap from the new lens to the old lens. Then I mount the new lens on the body, which still points down. Then I close the backpack.

Regards, Antero

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 18-Mar-13 04:29 PM
27015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jerry,

I use multiple bodies so I rarely change lenses in the field.
When I do, I always put the rear lens cap on. Since I keep hoods on all of my lenses and most have Nikon NC filters front lens caps are occasionally omitted if I am rushed.
When I have an Assistant, I swap out the lenses and the Assistant takes care of the caps and storage. Then both caps go on the lens.

Best Regards,
Marty

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberTue 19-Mar-13 01:19 AM
947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 39

Frederick, US

Hey Marty,
You know, I tried the multiple body method but I found the weight too, well, heavy. Not to hijack my own thread (how dumb does that sound?), but I'm curious: which two bodies do you usually use on a shoot? Does the weight bother you, or are you suffering for your art?

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 19-Mar-13 01:14 PM
#42. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 41

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

don't want to hijack Marty's answer but if necessary I shoot a D2Xs with a 80-200mm f2.8 AFD and a D200 with a 20-35mm f2.8 AFD - sometimes the lenses are swapped. Generally the 80-200 is on a monopod just for ease of use...

LIKE me on Facebook

Alex

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 19-Mar-13 01:34 PM
#43. "RE: How do you change lenses?"

Philadelphia, US

Jerry, I can't answer for Marty, but I will answer for myself.

I've got some events coming up which I'm doing. My two primary lenses for the events will be the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 70-200mm f/2.8. Based on my expected position near the stages, my primary will be the 70-200mm which will be on my D4, and my secondary for the wide shots, will be the 24-70mm on my D700. I'll be using a Black Rapid Double (DR-1) to hold them at my sides for quick access to go back and forth. In this case, it's not the environment that's the problem, but the problem of not missing shots by going back and forth swapping lenses.

Last year when in Antarctica, and the prior year when in the Negev and Sinai deserts, I used two cameras with lenses to limit the need to swap lenses in the hostile environment of blowing sands. There was a day in the Negev that the sands were bad enough that I never swapped a lens the entire day and made do with my choices made before breakfast.

The weight doesn't bother me. You get used to it. When I go shooting wildlife in various locations, my typical setup is a D4, 500mm f/4, Gitzo Systematic 3 series, RRS BH55, Wemberley Sidekick, carried over my shoulder from location to location. I carry that load for hours, sometimes most of the day, putting it down only to shoot, eat or drink, or perhaps look up a bird in my Audubon or Explorer guide on my iPhone. I also carry around a 24-70mm for some landscape and other shots, plus odds and ends such as a spare battery and memory cards, etc., plus food and drink in my TT belt system. As I said, you get used to it. I do tend to switch shoulders regularly with the equipment on the tripod.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Tue 19-Mar-13 02:02 PM
820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 43

Lincoln, US

Ned,
I'd like to offer an additional comment to you comprehensive post.

Do you agree that carrying one's "rig" over-the-shoulder is made HUGELY more comfortable if the tripod has been fitted with leg padding - such as is available from the Nikonians ProShop?

Pete

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 19-Mar-13 02:46 PM
#45. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 44

Philadelphia, US

Most definitely Pete!!!

I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that all my tripods have padded leg covers from the Nikonians Pro Shop. (The really do...LOL.) I've always used leg padding on my tripods' legs.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Mar-13 06:45 PM
27015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: How do you change lenses?"

US

Hi Jerry,

I mix and match so it varies depending on the subject and ambient light level.
If distance (parking lot to venue) isn't much of an issue, for paid work I usually bring 4 - 6 bodies. Most of the time I only use two or three bodies, other times I may use all of them.
For field sports: D3s w/ 300mm or 400mm on a monopod, D3 with 70-200mm on one shoulder, and D700 w/MB-D10 & 24-70 or 17-35mm on the other shoulder. In good light, I might substitute the D300 for the D3s and the D2X for D3 or D700.

For indoor sports: usually D3s w/ 70-200mm and D700 w/ 24-70mm on my shoulders or one on the floor and occasionally between 1 and 4 remote bodies (usually multi-day events since it requires access and considerable time to set up before, and take down after).

For weddings: D3s w/70-200mm, D800 w/MB-D12 & 24-70mm, D2X w/ 17-55mm & Q-flash, D700 w/MB-D10 & 14-24mm, D3 w/85mm f/1.4 or 105mm f/2 DC, D300 w/MB-D10, 28-70mm & Q-flash second shooter or back-up, and a D200 w/MB-D200 with several back-up lenses, Speedlights, batteries, etc....

For events 2 primary bodies; and a back-up or two in the bag.

When I know I will be walking long distances, I will bring two bodies and the minimum amount of gear I need. That said, I always seem regret not packing something.

Over the years, I have gotten used to the weight. At least I get a good workout.
I could use a caravan of camels or better yet elephants to lug all of the gear I carry.

Best Regards,
Marty

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Mon 18-Mar-13 10:34 PM
888 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

I just do it and don't over think the process.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Tue 19-Mar-13 02:56 PM
#46. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 40

Lincoln, US

Ned,
Ditto...

Pete

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Thu 04-Apr-13 06:00 AM
1656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: How do you change lenses?"
In response to Reply # 40

Winfield, US

Me too. I always have both caps on the lenses after removing them from the camera. It does not seem to take a long time, but I don't shoot professionally, so time is not money when I am shooting.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87352 Previous topic | Next topic