Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87299
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon Coolpix A" Previous topic | Next topic
sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Tue 05-Mar-13 04:01 PM
4582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon Coolpix A"

Bedfordshire, GB

Nikon has announced a Coolpix A compact with a DX sensor.
http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/products/promotion/coolpix_a.page

Good concept, or not so well though out? Your thoughts?

To me it looks like Nikon is trying to make a grab at the sales territory occupied by the hugely successful and impressive Sony RX100 (different size sensor, but sold as a premium compact).

The Compact A seems to have inherited the style and grip-ability of the J series; that is, none at all. ...or am I just being cruel?

Crafting a DX sensor into a compact seems bizarre. It also probably shows what Nikon really now thinks about DX - i.e., downmarket, amateur, consumer.

They've also recycled the old EXPEED2 processor out of their previous generation DSLR range, but that does come with some benefits for image quality.

I have just purchased a Lumix GX1 and I have to say that I am not one bit put out by this subsequent Nikon product announcement, because the feature set in my Panasonic would appear to be far superior to the Coolpix A.

However, I wondered what people's first thoughts are on this new Nikon compact?

Cheers

Steve (Bedfordshire, England)
My Nikonians Gallery- please visit and leave a comment
A Nikon in the hand is worth two in the bag!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon Coolpix A
jec6613 Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
05th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
05th Mar 2013
jbloom Gold Member
05th Mar 2013
sabre Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
hogvee Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
05th Mar 2013
Floridian Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
DeanAZ Moderator
06th Mar 2013
russg Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
mklass Platinum Member
06th Mar 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
sabre Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
blw Moderator
07th Mar 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
blw Moderator
07th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
blw Moderator
07th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
AMusingFool Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
no57 Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
mklass Platinum Member
07th Mar 2013
grizzly200
09th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
09th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
10th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
12th Mar 2013
wotalegend Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
12th Mar 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
wotalegend Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
14th Mar 2013
wotalegend Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member
15th Mar 2013
spraay2236
13th Mar 2013
kenjifujiwara
14th Mar 2013
torwood Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
31st Mar 2013
PAStime Silver Member
01st Apr 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
09th Apr 2013

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Tue 05-Mar-13 04:27 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

It feels like Nikon reached into their haversack and put together a large sensor compact out of existing parts - the 16 MP Sony sensor and Expeed 2 out of the D5100/D7000, and ergonomics out of the P3x0 series. If I'm reading it right, it should perform about like those DSLRs with a kit lens backed all of the way out in technical image quality.

It doesn't feel at all like they're giving up on DX pro to me - if anything, it to me makes it more likely it'll exist. It means they're creating even more models going forward.

Both this and the 80-400 feel like something they've been sitting on for a while... a D400, IMHO, is still very likely to be launched.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 05-Mar-13 06:00 PM
6358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Mar-13 06:03 PM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

No Nikon camera I've owned that used contrast-detect autofocus has been especially stellar in that area. So the lack of phase-detect AF leaves me wondering if AF will be a weak point.

The interwebs are already pooh-poohing the f/2.8 lens, particularly because there is no VR, and I have to agree that's problematic.

The 28-mm-equivalent FOV I like better than the 35-mm of the X100. Of course, that X100 is f/2.0....

I don't agree that this says much of anything about the DX DSLR future. This is a pocket camera, and there has always been a dichotomy between the pocket-camera market and the DSLR market. Maybe it's a little bit narrower than it used to be, but not by that much. (What percentage of APS-C mirrorless camera owners also have a DSLR? I bet it's a large percentage.)

It's interesting, but I won't be getting one. I got a V1 to use as a pocket camera, and while its smaller sensor won't perform like the sensor of the Nikon A, it's adequate for my needs in a pocket camera.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 05-Mar-13 06:51 PM
8101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

It requires a hot shoe mounted OVF? Where does the flash go?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 05-Mar-13 07:46 PM
6358 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 3

Wethersfield, US

>It requires a hot shoe mounted OVF? Where does the flash go?

Obviously, you can't use them both simultaneously. That seemed dumb to me when I first saw it (not on the Coolpix A -- other mirrorless cameras have the same arrangement). But consider that both the flash and the OVF need to be mounted right over the lens in order to minimize shadows (flash) and parallax (OVF). So the poor camera designer wasn't left with too many options.

It occurred to me they could have put a hot shoe atop the OVF and connected it through to the shoe below. But with the existing OVF listed at $450, I shudder to think what that additional functionality would have done to the price.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 11:25 AM
4582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 4

Bedfordshire, GB

>It occurred to me they could have put a hot shoe atop the OVF
>and connected it through to the shoe below. But with the
>existing OVF listed at $450, I shudder to think what that
>additional functionality would have done to the price.
>

Sorry, Jon, but for just one moment I thought you said the OVF price was $450...

...oh, you did actually say that. Pause. Silence. Wow! That's the price of some very decent compact cameras on their own. I am left gobsmacked.

Nikon really is getting carried away into the world of make-believe with the Coolpix A.

Cheers

hogvee Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Aug 2008Thu 07-Mar-13 04:49 PM
185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 4

St. Asaph, GB

The Flash is mounted on the top left side, and is a permanent fixture as it is a pop-up design. So there should be no interferance with the hot shoe.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Tue 05-Mar-13 08:34 PM
4940 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

To me, this is "too little, too late".

Too little, because not even a basic viewfinder, which would not have been so hard to do on a prime lens, and because the optional viewfinder, as has been stated, is not usable simultaneously with the flash. That's a no-go to me.

Then too late, because I already have a Fuji X10 AND a X100. Guess what I now think of viewfinderless cameras...

The only good thing I can think of is that one day maybe - a big maybe, though - they will tackle Sony on the terrain of the high-end compact with a BIG sensor such as the RX1.

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 12:41 AM
2722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

It's not a camera I'd buy, but that doesn't matter much to me. I do care about Nikon's DSLR and lens offerings, because I have that system. But for a compact camera, there's no system to buy into and I'm happy to look at offerings from any company.

Randy

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 06-Mar-13 12:58 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

I don't think this is a great offering especially at that price. It makes my V1 I just picked up look like a killer bargain. With the sale around Christmas I could have had 3 V1's for the price of this camera. I won't be running out to by this one anytime soon. I'm not sure who will. Somehow without the viewfinder it seems something much less than a D7000 with a fixed 2.8 prime lens in a Coolpix body.

Now the V1 does not slip into my pocket as easy as this would but I could not justify the price difference for that small convenience. I like that the V1 uses the same battery as my D7000. This shares a battery with the J series? Sharing other accessories such as the GPS or wireless unit may keep some of the Nikon faithful on the hook but since it has only a fixed non-interchangeable lens the major reason you stay with a system is irrelevant.

There is a new Coolpix that even has a built-in GPS and shoots raw for a fraction of the price as well. It can't imagine this will sell very well unless Nikon had a bunch of 16MP sensors and Expeed2 processors looking for a home and they needed to move them out.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

russg Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 01:19 AM
1281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 7

Phoenix, US

It makes no sense to me either, Dean. I use a Coolpix P7100 for my go-light camera, and it does a real fine job if you live within its limitations, which primarily means giving it plenty of light. Now, I'm not suggesting that this 1/1.7" sensor camera will deliver the image quality of a DX sensor camera, especially in low light, but it does shoot raw, has a very sharp 28-200mm equivalent zoom lens, is compatible with any Nikon CLS speedlight and a serviceable optical viewfinder is included. And as far as a killer bargain goes, B&H currently has the P7100 on a promo offer for $270. That's nearly four P7100's for the price of a single Coolpix A without a viewfinder. I've never looked into any of the V series cameras, but I honestly don't know how you make the math on this new Coolpix add up.

Russ

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 01:37 AM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Saint-Lambert, CA

>Good concept, or not so well though out? Your thoughts?

Around 2003, I would have thought of it as an almost-great upgrade to my Coolpix 995, for which I dreamt of an APS-C sensor. But today, the way they have designed this, it is frustrating: good technology pieces put together in an aphazard way. Great sensor, nice looking body, but fixed prime lens? It does not have a mirror, but it is not "mirrorless", it has a fixed lens and they did not make it a rangefinder.

JC

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:24 AM
5924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I don't think this says anything about the future of the DX DSLR line. I think it may say something about the Coolpix line, but what this is is hard to say. Perhaps: "Let try this and see if it sells"?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Wed 06-Mar-13 05:49 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 06-Mar-13 05:49 AM by jec6613

Norwalk, US

>I don't think this says anything about the future of the DX
>DSLR line. I think it may say something about the Coolpix
>line, but what this is is hard to say. Perhaps: "Let try
>this and see if it sells"?
>

I almost feel like this was set up to be produced and released last year and for some reason it wasn't. Tsunami, plant capacity, solar flares, the phase of the moon, and little green men, all come to mind.

It has exactly the same imaging chain as the D5100 and D7000, but is just being released now.

sabre Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 11:35 AM
#12. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 9

Bedfordshire, GB

>I don't think this says anything about the future of the DX
>DSLR line. I think it may say something about the Coolpix
>line, but what this is is hard to say. Perhaps: "Let try
>this and see if it sells"?

Mick, I could not agree with you more. I believe you have hit the current Nikon small camera product strategy bang on the button. Nikon just seems to be firing off in all directions and grabbing at any idea they can think of, while missing so many opportunities. Problem is that most other manufacturers have already got better thought-out models already successfully covering those bases.

Interestingly, I notice that the Coolpix boasts a gold 'DX' badge on it. They never gave me one of those with my D200. The fact that Nikon is proudly boasting this odds-and-ends model is DX, and even celebrating this with a proud DX badge, while boasting in their literature how good DX is, leaves me even more alienated by the fact that the company seems to refuse to make a D400 with DX.

Cheers

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 12:04 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 12

Saint-Lambert, CA

>Interestingly, I notice that the Coolpix boasts a gold 'DX'
>badge on it. They never gave me one of those with my D200.
> The fact that Nikon is proudly boasting this
>odds-and-ends model is DX, and even celebrating this with a
>proud DX badge, while boasting in their literature how good DX
>is, leaves me even more alienated by the fact that the company
>seems to refuse to make a D400 with DX.
I thought maybe they really wanted us to migrate to FX so we buy longer and potentially more expensive lenses, but the Coolpix A does not help sell lenses.
Oh well.

JC

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 10:10 AM
26667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I have to admit that I just don't have the photographic style to use a single-focal-length camera. I shoot too many things in too many different ways, far too frequently. So the A, the Fuji x100 and even the old Nikon Ti35 all are mysteries to me. I suppose that these are cameras that Cartier-Bresson would have found useful; apparently he pretty much left a 35mm lens mounted on his Leica. On the other hand, I even find the Fuji x10 somewhat limiting, and it has a 28-112mm (equiv) zoom lens. So to me, the A is a complete curiosity.

I do think that it's pretty overpriced. Especially with the hood and optical finder, it's expensive. I haven't checked explicitly, but it's got to be up into the price category of the Fuji XE-1 and maybe even approaching the Fuji X-Pro-1. OK, I guess the X-Pro is still more at $2000 or so with the 18/f2 - but wait, it's an f/2 lens, it's an interchangeable lens system, and yes it's got the aps-c sensor too. Actually the X-E1 with 18/f2 is only slightly more money than the A, and all of the comments about the X-Pro1 apply to the X-E1 too. And I'm sure others are in the same category.

Even eliminating the $450 optical finder (what?), I think the A has a tough road to hoe. This is not an early, ground-breaking concept. It's late to market and the field has plenty of competitors.

It is particularly gauling to see the pricing and then realize that they are using the left-overs from the previous generation of high-volume DSLRs. There is a LOT of margin in this model.

It's also worth noting that I'm not particularly opposed to expensive stuff - I am not (too) offended by the price of the D4, Leica M typ 240, or the Fuji x-pro (to name only a few examples). But the value has to be there, and I'm not seeing it with the A.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 02:20 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 14
Fri 08-Mar-13 05:47 AM by plankowner110

Ohio, US

Is the optional viewfinder for birding or spy stuff?

(just kidding)
Bill
D300

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 03:56 PM
26667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 15

Richmond, US

The optional viewfinder is for folks like DSLR users who prefer to shoot at eye level rather than framing via the LCD.

Here's another really aggravating perspective on the pricing. The A is using the main parts from the D5100: the sensor, the SD card drive, probably the shutter, Expeed2, probably the LCD. Ya know what? That's the vast majority of the cost in the D5100. The D5100 lists at $700, and that's with a kit lens. The A has removed cost in a number of areas, such as the lens mount and couplings, a complex optical design, the pentaprism (well, I guess pentamirror) and focusing screen, etc. For the moment let's assume that the AF systems cost the same although one is phase detect and the other is contrast detect. It is hard to believe that a fixed 18/f2.8 should cost much more than the kit lens to manufacture.

So why does the A cost $1100 and the D5100, which has more expensive stuff in it, cost $700? Even if I replace the kit lens with the 20/f2.8 AFD (ignore the screwdriver AF problem and the fact that it's an FX lens for the moment), the D5100 still is essentially parity price with the A. Yet it has vastly more flexibility, and it's hard to imagine how the raw files are going to be significantly better given the same sensor and processor. Yes, the firmware could improve - but by a significant margin?

_____

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 04:38 PM
#17. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 16

Saint-Lambert, CA

>The optional viewfinder is for folks like DSLR users who
>prefer to shoot at eye level rather than framing via the LCD.
>
>Here's another really aggravating perspective on the pricing.
>The A is using the main parts from the D5100: the sensor, the
>SD card drive, probably the shutter, Expeed2, probably the
>LCD. Ya know what? That's the vast majority of the cost in
>the D5100. The D5100 lists at $700, and that's with a kit
>lens. The A has removed cost in a number of areas, such as
>the lens mount and couplings, a complex optical design, the
>pentaprism (well, I guess pentamirror) and focusing screen,
>etc. For the moment let's assume that the AF systems cost the
>same although one is phase detect and the other is contrast
>detect. It is hard to believe that a fixed 18/f2.8 should
>cost much more than the kit lens to manufacture.
>
>So why does the A cost $1100 and the D5100, which has more
>expensive stuff in it, cost $700? Even if I replace the kit
>lens with the 20/f2.8 AFD (ignore the screwdriver AF problem
>and the fact that it's an FX lens for the moment), the D5100
>still is essentially parity price with the A. Yet it has
>vastly more flexibility, and it's hard to imagine how the raw
>files are going to be significantly better given the same
>sensor and processor. Yes, the firmware could improve - but
>by a significant margin?

The "D400" wishes originally started with a D7000 (or D5100 now) sensor in a D300 body and Expeed. Essentially recycling parts from the parts bin. Maybe through the "A" they are using a sneaky way to prepare those of, us waiting for a D400, to what they would like to charge us?

JC

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 04:53 PM
#19. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 17

Richmond, US

EVERY recent Nikon announcement has included price increases, ranging from the significant to the stunning. The only reason that a D400 wouldn't be significantly higher priced than the D300 is that it probably can't go too far above the D600 and maybe not even that far.

_____

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 05:22 PM
#20. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 19

Saint-Lambert, CA

>EVERY recent Nikon announcement has included price increases,
>ranging from the significant to the stunning. The only reason
>that a D400 wouldn't be significantly higher priced than the
>D300 is that it probably can't go too far above the D600 and
>maybe not even that far.

Why not? Why can't a DX model with advanced features be more expensive than an FX model with middle-of-the-road features? You get that in cars for example: a Turbo Jetta has a higher price than a base Passat. The Mazda Miata is more expensive than a Mazda 6. And so on.
With computers, a laptop is more expensive than a desktop unit.
Why would cameras be different?

JC

AMusingFool Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2012Thu 07-Mar-13 08:20 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 20

Arlington, US

Because of component costs? Laptop parts are always more expensive than desktop ones, because they're smaller and have tighter tolerances (heat dissipation, most notably).

The most expensive part in a DSLR is the sensor, and it isn't close.

I expect that the car is actually a pretty close analogy, but not in the way you intended, as the engine is the most expensive part of the car (and again, it isn't very close). And the reason it falls apart, is because a more similar case for a camera (to your car analogy) would be sticking an FX sensor in a D5100 body (ignoring that there are a number of reasons that'd be physically impossible, of course).

"Geeks of All Nations, Compile!"

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Thu 07-Mar-13 09:32 PM
#23. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 22

Saint-Lambert, CA

>Because of component costs? Laptop parts are always more
>expensive than desktop ones, because they're smaller and have
>tighter tolerances (heat dissipation, most notably).
>
>The most expensive part in a DSLR is the sensor, and it isn't
>close.
>
>I expect that the car is actually a pretty close analogy, but
>not in the way you intended, as the engine is the most
>expensive part of the car (and again, it isn't very close).
>And the reason it falls apart, is because a more similar case
>for a camera (to your car analogy) would be sticking an FX
>sensor in a D5100 body (ignoring that there are a number of
>reasons that'd be physically impossible, of course).
Hmmm ... well it so happens that in some cases, the more powerful engine is smaller but turbo adds the boost.
But in any case, the point is, I would agree to pay more for a "pro" bodied DX than for a "consumer" bodied FX. It is not impossible to build, all the components to do so already exist and just need to be adapted. After all, they have been able to put the same D7000 sensor we have been asking for in the D5100, and now in the "A". And keeping the same D7000 body, they managed to add an improved sensor and an improved AF system. Why they cannot do it for a "D400" using existing components is bizarre.
Something else is preventing it from happening

JC

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Fri 08-Mar-13 05:52 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 20

Ohio, US

>>EVERY recent Nikon announcement has included price
>increases,
>>ranging from the significant to the stunning. The only
>reason
>>that a D400 wouldn't be significantly higher priced than
>the
>>D300 is that it probably can't go too far above the D600
>and
>>maybe not even that far.
>
> Why not? Why can't a DX model with advanced features be more
>expensive than an FX model with middle-of-the-road features?
>You get that in cars for example: a Turbo Jetta has a higher
>price than a base Passat. The Mazda Miata is more expensive
>than a Mazda 6. And so on.
> With computers, a laptop is more expensive than a desktop
>unit.
> Why would cameras be different?

It's interesting to note that Nikon Europe includes the D300s in its professional DSLR line-up, while the D600 is listed with the consumer DSLRs.

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/products/category_pages/digital_cameras/category_SLR.page?sParamValueLbl=Digital%20Cameras&sParam1ValueLbl=SLR&ParamValue=Digital%20Cameras&Subnav1Param=SLR&Subnav2Param=0&Subnav3Param=0&RunQuery=0&ID=0

Bill
D300

no57 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Feb 2004Fri 08-Mar-13 06:21 AM
#25. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 24

Saint-Lambert, CA

>It's interesting to note that Nikon Europe includes the D300s
>in its professional DSLR line-up, while the D600 is listed
>with the consumer DSLRs.
>
>http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/products/category_pages/digital_cameras/category_SLR.page?sParamValueLbl=Digital%20Cameras&sParam1ValueLbl=SLR&ParamValue=Digital%20Cameras&Subnav1Param=SLR&Subnav2Param=0&Subnav3Param=0&RunQuery=0&ID=0

The Corporate Nikon site does not divide the lines into Professional and Consumer, as they do in Europe, however the cameras are lined up in pecking order, and in FX/DX sequence. The D600 is the last of the FX models, and the D300s is listed at the top of the DX models, ahead of the D7100.
And they describe the D300s as "Nikon DX-format professional-level performance with agility and creative versatility.", they do not even use the word "professional" for the D4!

JC

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 07-Mar-13 05:59 PM
5924 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 16

Tacoma, US

My read is that there are a lot of people that don't want a DSLR: they don't want the size, they don't want the complexity or they are just afraid of them. However, those people may want a premium camera and by saying they have a simple camera with features similar to a DSLR, Nikon may get them to pay the price. So this might be good addition in the Coolpix line to keep customers with Nikon.

We'll see if this works.

I don't think the target market for this camera is current DLSR owners. That's the P7x00 series.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sat 09-Mar-13 03:16 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 09-Mar-13 03:21 AM by grizzly200

Solano County, California, US

Looks Clunky. Not attractive, in my opinion. This camera is way, way overpriced. Looks like a mid-90's 35mm zoom camera that sold for about $250.

James

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 09-Mar-13 10:06 AM
8101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 26

Powder Springs, US

It looks like an Edsel to me too.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 02:01 AM
2107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Steve,

I can only say everyone is sticking big sensors in small camera formats these days and Nikon is "a day late and dollar short", as the old saying goes.

I also think there are some way better cost/performance values out there such as your GX1.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 02:05 AM
4080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The Coolpix A is unfortunately not much of a choice when it's sitting on a store shelf next to a Fujifilm X100 or X100s, a Canon G1X or a Nikon V2.

The lens is slow compared to the f/2 of the X100/100s. The Fuji hybrid viewfinder is marvelous and even the rudimentary G1X viewfinder is usable most of the time. The A viewfinder is an absurdly priced accessory. So what is this? Nikon thinks the A is competing with the Leica X1 or X2? Nikon has the X1/X2 beat on price and high ISO performance I guess.

The Fujifilm X100 and X100s are the class of the field, IMO, and Nikon won't beat or meet either camera with a Coolpix A featuring an ill-conceived AF system and a questionable form factor.

I think Mick is right - Nikon tossed the A into the marketplace in order to gauge interest in the format/form factor.

One other thing about the Coolpix A . . . it's ugly.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Tue 12-Mar-13 05:14 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

I just bought a Canon G1X for little more than half the price of a Coolpix A and I have not an ounce of remorse or regret. It offers so much more for my money - zoom lens, image stabilization, built-in OVF (albeit fairly basic). I have never understood why Nikon have never made any real attempt to match the Canon G Series, which has been around in many iterations since 2000.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 10:42 AM
4080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 31

Toronto, CA

>I have
>never understood why Nikon have never made any real attempt to
>match the Canon G Series, which has been around in many
>iterations since 2000.

Since 2009, I think Nikon pitched the P7000-series as competition for the Canon G-series. The Nikon P-series is a good vallue, but it's not a standout IMO. Then again, some shooters have made some excellent photos with P-series cameras. They're certainly versatile.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Tue 12-Mar-13 11:38 AM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 32

Jamison, US

There always been a decent market for the likes of the old Rollei 35 SE, small but good in the glove box of the car, this seems a little big for that market but given all the rest are of similar size, perhaps that segment has grown over the years.

I would take a 35SE digital equivalent now if there was such a beast in the right price range

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Tue 12-Mar-13 11:56 AM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 32

Melbourne, AU

I am not familiar with the P7000 series, but I do have a P5100. For its size it makes good images (JPEG only) but I have become increasingly frustrated with the shutter lag - press shutter release then count to 2 (slowly) before the shutter actually fires. I was trying to get some photos of my six month old grandson on the weekend with it and I missed his facial expressions every time. I also found it hard to shoot from a very low viewpoint with the fixed vertical viewing screen.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 14-Mar-13 11:38 AM
#36. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 34

Toronto, CA

>I am not familiar with the P7000 series, but I do have a
>P5100. For its size it makes good images (JPEG only) but I
>have become increasingly frustrated with the shutter lag -
>press shutter release then count to 2 (slowly) before the
>shutter actually fires.

The P7700 may be just what you're looking for. Here's the link to it at Nikon Australia.

Your P5100 is a seven year old design. High-end compacts from Nikon (and all the other makers too) have come long way since 2007. Shutter lag is now effectively non-existent.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

wotalegend Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Feb 2004Thu 14-Mar-13 11:57 PM
#38. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 36

Melbourne, AU

>The P7700 may be just what you're looking for. Here's the
>link
>to it> at Nikon Australia.
>
>Your P5100 is a seven year old design. High-end compacts from
>Nikon (and all the other makers too) have come long way since
>2007. Shutter lag is now effectively non-existent.
>
Point taken. The P5100 is an outdated design, which is why I have replaced it. The P7700 has an impressive spec which compares well with the competition, but it still has only a 1/1.7 sensor, less than 1/6 the size of the G1X sensor.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 12:48 AM
#39. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 38

Toronto, CA

>Point taken. The P5100 is an outdated design, which is why I
>have replaced it. The P7700 has an impressive spec which
>compares well with the competition, but it still has only a
>1/1.7 sensor, less than 1/6 the size of the G1X sensor.

You never mentioned you had replaced your P5100. Anyway, I mentioned/recommended the G1X earlier in the thread as well. I agree with you - it's a terrific camera.

Still, for anyone who is already a P-series fan and has a limited budget, I think the P7700 is a very good upgrade from any of the older models.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

spraay2236 Registered since 27th Feb 2012Wed 13-Mar-13 04:57 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have to say that I think Nikon have missed the mark (any mark) with the Coolpix A. I would have liked a higher-end camera with nostalgic good looks, a viewfinder and a fixed lens (like the Fujifilm X100), or a DX compact with a high-quality built-in zoom (near-DSLR performance in a smaller, less-expensive/complicated camera). But this is neither.

I'm not sure what they were going for. I also think it's madly over-priced.

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

kenjifujiwara Registered since 17th Oct 2012Thu 14-Mar-13 12:47 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What determines what Nikon or any other camera maker sells is
market demand.

If it makes profit, they'll make it.

Bottom-line, they're in it to make money.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 05:04 PM
670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 37

Jefferson Hills, US

Well, this is a start. That is all I can say. When I see this, it reminds me of one of the few things I miss from the film days. Back in those days, I used to travel with two SLR bodies: (2) Nikon N80's, one with ISO 100 or ISO 200 print film, and one with ISO 50 or ISO 100 slide film.

I also carried a tiny, Olympus Stylus. Mine were special addition gold color, but most were black. This little film camera used the same film as my SLR's. It had a fixed FL, 28mm f2.8 Zeiss lens that was tack sharp, a small built-in flash, and a sliding lens cover. When I went out to dinner, or site seeing, or just for a relaxing walk, I'd slip the Stylus in my pocket. Nearly all of the street shots or candids I brought home were shot with the Stylus. I eventually had three of them, so one could be in the car, one could be in the House, and one could be in the camera bag. They cost about $120 each brand new.

The point is that my Stylus took the same exact pictures as my SLR's at 28mm of things that didn't move. On the same exact capture medium. If someone, anyone, could give me a DX sensor in a tiny body I can slip into my shirt pocket (like the Stylus), with an optical, or even an electronic viewfinder (I hate composing via the screen), for about $500, I would buy one tomorrow.

This isn't it because of the viewfinder and the price. But,...maybe it's a start.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sun 31-Mar-13 08:39 PM
4270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

In DigLloyd's Blog I just came across two other 28mm optical viewfinders, a Sigma for $149 and a Ricoh for $229 with the latter apparently the better of the two. Just in case this helps anyone seriously looking at the Coolpix A:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?Q=&A=endecaSearch&Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0&N=0&O=&srtclk=sort&Ntt=Sigma+VF-11+optical+viewfinder

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761040-REG/Ricoh_175093_GV_2_Mini_External_Viewfinder.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 01-Apr-13 02:33 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

>Nikon has announced a Coolpix A compact with a DX sensor.

Hmmm... doesn't look interesting to me (and I am looking at options for something smaller and lighter than a DX DSLR as an alternative when I want to travel lightly). The fixed focal length and non-interchangeable lens is the biggest deal breaker. The price is a close second.

I guess I'm not the market they are after with this model.

Peter

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 09-Apr-13 03:54 AM
4270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Nikon Coolpix A"
In response to Reply # 42
Tue 09-Apr-13 04:00 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

If price was lower and I had unlimited funds, I could stuff a CoolPix A in my work briefcase and leave it there. My V1 is a little too bulky with 10-30mm for my work briefcase. And for other occasions where I'm not going to bring my V1. I like that the CoolPix A has a built-in-flash.

DigLloyd is liking the CoolPix A at close range as well as praising the sensor as state of the art 2013:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/20130408_1-NikonCoolpixA-vs-SigmaDP1Merrill-dolls.html
- although at longer range the Sigma DP1 won out IIRC.

Anyhow if Nikon could price some of these offerings better (V2, CoolPix A) they might see much more traction in the marketplace. As well as continue to iterate and add value.

For me a CoolPix B with on-sensor hybrid PDAF would also be much more of an attraction, I pretty much cannot stand CDAF. I can't wait for Nikon-style on-sensor PDAF on everything (DSLRs too for use in LiveView and video).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87299 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.