Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87224
View in linear mode

Subject: "Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 27-Feb-13 01:09 AM
3453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"

St. Augustine, US

I use these lens wipes for my eye glasses, and the box states that they can be used on camera lenses too. The active ingredients are isopropyl and alcohol. I usually use dry lens cloths on my camera lenses. My main concern would be if the moistened wipes could damage the lens coating. Is there any definitive evidence out there in either direction?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?
ZoneV Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
benveniste Moderator
27th Feb 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
mipo Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
AUMike Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
HSSwan Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
mjhach Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
grizzly200
28th Feb 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
28th Feb 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
dralph Gold Member
06th Mar 2013
RABaker
06th Mar 2013
promfh Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
JonK Moderator
06th Mar 2013
jaclegau
06th Mar 2013
mipo Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Beemer2 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
hfrank Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
esantos Moderator
06th Mar 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
Photomatt Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
rectangularimage Silver Member
07th Mar 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 27-Feb-13 01:12 AM
3476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

No thanks.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Wed 27-Feb-13 01:28 AM
9344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Feb-13 01:42 AM by benveniste

Boston Area, US

Isopropyl is an alcohol, so I'm not sure what the other alcohol is.

There shouldn't be any issue using methanol, ethanol, or isopropyl alcohol on modern lens coatings, but I wouldn't be as sure about the wipe itself or any other listed ingredients.

FWIW, Eclipse wipes use methanol, Rosco wipes use ethanol, and Zeiss wipes use isopropyl alcohol.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Wed 27-Feb-13 01:47 AM
3453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 2

St. Augustine, US

Mike, you are correct. The wipe contains isopropyl alcohol as a single ingredient. The only other ingredient is water and fragrance. No idea why one would need fragrance unless it was to overcome the alcohol smell.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

mipo Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2008Wed 27-Feb-13 03:02 AM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 3

Laval, CA

I use ispropyl alcool since my days as a cable splicer and doing fiber optic splicing.
Isopropyl alcool we were using to clean fiber optic strands prior to fusionning because it completely evaporates leaving no residues.

So since then I purchse isopropyl alcool at electronic stores to clean all kinds of stuff.

But never tried it on lenses. And for sure not on primes.

I have a small cleaning kit from Nikon, purchased it last time I was in B&H. Thinking if it is sold with Nikon name on it....were can I go wrong on my Nikon lenses.

Michel

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Wed 27-Feb-13 04:59 PM
1026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 4

Birmingham, US

If I am not mistaken, lens wipes are made out of paper, which can leave scratches on your lens. I would not use them, regardless of the question about alcohol.

Mike

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Wed 27-Feb-13 05:08 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

For years, I've been using eyeglass wipes called “Clarity Clean It.”

Here's a link to 51 pre-moistened wipes for $12.95 (on a marksman website for use with sportsman optics, etc.).

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1268

They are made for coated lenses, and I've used them on my pro glass with zero issues. You can buy Zeiss wipes on B&H for about the same price.

I've tried other wipes, but Clarity is the best because they leave no residue and aren’t too wet. Just the perfect amount of moisture – which means that I can clean my lenses in one step without having to buff with a dry lens cloth afterwards.

I use them on all my photo excursions and they are an item that I wouldn’t even think about leaving behind.

As for eyeglass wipes in general, I'd stay away from those with perfumes and any that don't specifically state that they are safe for use with coated/multi-coated/anti-reflective lenses.

I can personally and strongly vouch for Clarity Clean It.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

HSSwan Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jun 2006Wed 27-Feb-13 05:20 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 27-Feb-13 05:22 PM by HSSwan

Hollywood, US

What about Zeiss Lens Cleaning Wipes? They claim "Safely and quickly clean eyeglasses, sunglasses, and other optics and electronics".

I bought them for touch screens and displays because they're convenient in their individual packets but I don't have the courage to try it on my lenses. Any insights?

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Wed 27-Feb-13 06:01 PM
3059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 7

Western PA, US

I've tried the Zeiss wipes and still have a few in my posession. They're good (and damage free), but very wet and will leave streaks. That's just my opinion. But I wouldn't worry about hurting lenses.

~Dan

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 27-Feb-13 07:29 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 27-Feb-13 07:30 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Not to change the topic, but I used various wet things on my lenses for years, then 3 years ago started using a lens-pen. I have replaced it each year (handy Christmas gift item), and I love it. Simple, easy to carry, and doesn't get the lens all wet!

You DO have to be sure the dust is gone first, a blower or the brush on the lens-pen.

And LAST christmas, I got a 3-pen set, with a big one for the LCD and a tiny one for the vewfinder -- was my viewfinder ever dirty and I didn't know it -- now I can see through it again.

----
Dennis Smith.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 12:42 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 9

Simcoe, CA

You must've got yours at the Henry's Camera Show. I got this set and it's great. And, there was some talk at the Lenspen seminar at the show that indicated that when you take your Nikon service dealer for sensor cleaning for $60, they only use the Lenspen's unless there is a genuinely sticky dust that they need the wet wipes for. Otherwise, they just use the Lenspens. Go figure.

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Thu 28-Feb-13 05:48 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 28-Feb-13 05:49 AM by grizzly200

Solano County, California, US

The Zeiss wipes work very well in my experience.

James

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 28-Feb-13 06:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The issues are will the liquid dissolve the lens coatings and will the paper scratch the lens enough to be visually seen on a print.

It is real good idea to get any big dust or grit off of the lens before cleaning because a big piece of sand under pressure could easily scratch the coating if not the lens.

In the end it is your choice.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Wed 06-Mar-13 01:01 AM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Summit, US

I usually just huff my breath on the lens and use dry microfiber cloth on my lenses to clean it off. Works just as well on my eyeglasses. Old School technique I guess. Old habits die slowly. Just my two cents worth!

efeibush

dralph Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jul 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:08 AM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 12

Elmira, US

I read recently that Nikon recommended not using the condensation from one's breath to clean Nikkor lenses as the coating on the lens might become damaged. Sorry, it is late where I am, and so I do not have the verifying citation handy.

Interesting that isopropyl alcohol might be OK, but human breath not.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Wed 06-Mar-13 07:43 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 16

Sunnyvale, US

"I read recently that Nikon recommended not using the condensation from one's breath to clean Nikkor lenses..."

Yep - Nikon USA posted this on their website not too long ago and immediately got many queries about "Why?" and "What is this warning based on?" The result was that a few days after posting it Nikon removed the warning from their website. Apparently nobody could point to any data showing that the condensed moisture from someone's breath could cause damage.

Like many others I usually use a blower followed by a very soft brush and, when necessary, my breath and a microfiber cloth to clean my lenses. Except for the microfiber cloth which is a relatively new addition, I have been using this procedure for over 50 years without any damage to a lens. It is not that I wouldn't use a premoistened lens wipe designed for multicoated lenses/filters if I had them, but I have never felt a need to buy them in the first place.

Good luck,
Richard

promfh Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Jan 2009Wed 06-Mar-13 02:15 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

My wife and I use the lens wipes that are sold at Walgreens. They are inexpensive and seem to work bery well. We have a dust brush that is used first to remove any loose particles then wipe gently with a lens wipe. I use one wipe per surface (front and back) on lenses and one per camera body to clean up the LCD, viewfinder, and any other spots.

We're wildlife photographers so dirt, dust, wind, and rain just come "with the territory" while we're in the field. At the end of each day's shooting we put all the cameras and lenses out on a table and methodically go over each one to get ready for the next day's shooting. At the same time all batteries get removed, cleaned and charged. At the same time we dump our memory cards to a laptop then copy from the laptop to a 2TB rugged portable hard drive. It takes us about an hour to get everything cleaned up, charged, and ready for the next day's shooting. But it's an hour well invested when that "magic moment" shot pops up and you're not fighting an equipment problem.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 02:30 AM
4198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I've been using them for years. I prefer the Bausch &Lomb Sight Savers. They come 100 to a box. The only ingredient is isopropyl alcohol.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

jaclegau Registered since 28th Sep 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 03:33 AM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lachenaie, CA

The nikon guy used alcool for my sensor and my lenses when I went to a Nikon clinic at my camera store and when asked for the use of alcool wipes, he didn't think they would damage my lenses. Now I do like he did, alcool and a dry wipe: it's never bad to be prudent.

Jaclegau
Modérateur Nikonians
Nikonians®, l'endroit où rencontrer les photographes Nikon® du monde entier
"Partager, Apprendre et Inspirer..."

mipo Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2008Wed 06-Mar-13 01:01 PM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 15

Laval, CA

I am using isopropyl alcool for many tasks( purchasing it by the gallon). It evaporates at 99.9% and leaves no risidues
Learned to use it when I was doing optic fiber splicing for cleaning before the fusion of the strands.
But never tought of using it on lenses.
And not sure about using it on lenses....not at the price lenses are.

Gee do I miss the old Kodak lens cleaning fluid and paper wipes!
Things seemed easy in those days.

Michel

Beemer2 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Dec 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 01:01 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotland, GB

Graham,

My wife uses the lens wipes on her Zeiss coated spectacles apparently without a problem but I use lens cleaning fluid on my Nikkor lenses.

There are two points I make regarding isopropyl alcohol. The first is that you should use only 99.9%, i.e. water-free type to ASTM D770, e.g. Servisol. Secondly the fluid should be used sparingly and never allowed to run to the edge of the glass. If this happens and the fluid creeps inside then it may dissolve or discolour the inter-element bonding.

SOME plastics are attacked. The following I quote from a manufacturer's data sheet:

Stability: The product is stable.
Instability Temperature: Not available.
Conditions of Instability: Heat, Ignition sources, incompatible materials
Incompatibility with various substances: Reactive with oxidizing agents, acids, alkalis.
Corrosivity: Non-corrosive in presence of glass.
Special Remarks on Reactivity:
Reacts violently with hydrogen + palladium combination, nitroform, oleum, COCl2, aluminum triisopropoxide, oxidants
Incompatible with acetaldehyde, chlorine, ethylene oxide, isocyanates, acids, alkaline earth, alkali metals, caustics, amines,
crotonaldehyde, phosgene, ammonia. Isopropyl alcohol reacts with metallic aluminum at high temperatures. Isopropyl alcohol
attacks some plastics, rubber, and coatings. Vigorous reaction with sodium dichromate + sulfuric acid.
Special Remarks on Corrosivity: May attack some forms of plastic, rubber and coating

The biggest hazard however is what might happen if the open can catches fire!

Ian

If only Mozart had had a camera

hfrank Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004Wed 06-Mar-13 01:22 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, MI, United States, US

Harry Frank

I always keep a neutral density filter on my lenses, just to avoid this problem. I talked to one fellow at B&G and he allowed that even the volatiles in breath can damage the coating on filters, so breathing on a lens and using the condensate as a solvent is not a good idea. Much has also been said about the risk of using the liquids that one gets from an optometrist for cleaning glasses, so if the premoistened wipes use the same solvent, I'd avoid them. I use a microfiber lens wipe and if I need to use any sort of liquid, I use only those sold in camera shops specifically for camera lenses. When I'm out in the field, fussy little microfiber wipes and messy liquids stay at home. I use a lenspen.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 06-Mar-13 03:59 PM
11379 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Ever since I started using Lens Pens many years ago I rarely use cleaning fluid on my lenses. It just hasn't been necessary even though I carry a bottle of Eclipse in my bag.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 06-Mar-13 11:42 PM
1157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 22

Toronto, CA

I have to admit that my first view of a lens-pen was totally negative, "who would do THAT to their lens". That was after 30 years of film photography and cleaning with various "wed" solutions, and being happy with that.

However, I got a lens-pen for a birthday gift 2 years ago, and kind of "had to use it" so my son would be upset. I loved it -- I then read up on it, and a year later he gave me a lens-pen set -- I find these easy to use, and get great results.

I still carry of bottle of Zeiss lens fluid in my pack, but I have not used it once in the last 2 years!

----
Dennis Smith.

Photomatt Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2006Wed 06-Mar-13 04:00 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

There is a solution called Pancro. Its a cleaning fluid that I use for my optics when they are really dirty. (smudges, dust, etc.) Micro fiber cloth and breathing on it works for me as well.
(if you go to a site called Filmtools.com you'll be able to find it)

I normally tend to stay way from the "pre-moistened" things because the solution could do more harm than good. Especially on the coating of lenses.

Also, Wypall clothes are really useful too. the are a microfiber cloth that is ideal for cleaning optics.

Lens pens and Giottos Rockatairs work well too.

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Thu 07-Mar-13 01:13 AM
1097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Mar-13 01:14 AM by rectangularimage

San Diego, US

Here are some lens cleaning tips from a pro:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods

Seriously, he's a pro, cleans up to 500 lenses a day.

....Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 12:58 PM
509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Premoistened lens wipes for camera lenses?"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

What someone needs to do is invent dishwasher safe lenses. You would add that stuff that keeps glass from streaking and voila, perfectly clean lenses every time.

Just think, how effectively could we really be cleaning our lenses when we're just swirling the dirt around and creating mud with a moist wipe?

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87224 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.