nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #87184
View in linear mode

Subject: "WHAT I REALLY WANT" Previous topic | Next topic
largebore Silver Member  Clarks Summit, US  Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011 Mon 25-Feb-13 03:27 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"WHAT I REALLY WANT"

Interesting how every new camera has to do everything better than the last one for every need. Thus the camera becomes more expensive because it must be have the fastest fps, the largest sensor, the highest resolution, the highest iso, the best ergonomics etc etc.

Maybe camera bodies do not need to be so expensive if they are tailored for the job at hand and like lenses you had more than one body.

As example, I shoot fast paced sports as well as do studio work..

So for the studio I use a tripod, I do not care how the camera feels in my hands, I do not need the most advanced auto focus with the most sensor points, infact I can do without auto focus completly, do not really need auto metering and modes like aperature priority etc because i shoot in manual. I do not need sophisticated computer systems for great jpegs as I shoot raw.

So how about a D800E sensor in any body with a 10 pin connector and none of the other bells and whistles?

Then for sports, a nice dx that is ultra fast etc etc.

We buy lens specificaly for our shooting needs, why not bodies ?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT jules
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Feb 2013
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT Chris Platt Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT SweetMK
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
25th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT Floridian Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
26th Feb 2013
26th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT ZoneV Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
26th Feb 2013

jules   UK  Basic Member Mon 25-Feb-13 04:01 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmm, why do you want the ten pin connector soo much? I've always found it a total cludge, USB/HDMI seems better to me after all it's just a connector? For studio I'd want the most up to date one to give me all the release/trigger and timing options I could get, whether via a remote or a PC, for indoor and outdoor sports too...

Nikon make their toys to appeal to the maximum people in a price segment determined by their own team, as far as they are concerned you just turn off/don't use the features you don't want (Me Video!).

I too do miss my FM2n, things seemed a lot more simple back then, so I can understand your need/desire for something that just does what you want, no more, no less...

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Grumpy, Middle Aged, Bad Tempered, Arthritic, Asthmatic, Tinnitus Suffering, Mountain Man...

www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Mon 25-Feb-13 04:13 PM
7528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 1

>Hmm, why do you want the ten pin connector soo much?

There are a couple of reasons why I want it.

1) Because I already have several accessories that make use of it, including MC-30 and PocketWizard motor-drive cords. Why should I have to have a different set of accessories for each camera when the accessories essentially do the same thing?

2) Because when I have an L-bracket on the camera, those side panels are hard to get to.

3) Because when my camera with L-bracket is on my tripod in portrait orientation, I can't get to the side panels at all.

Of course, 2) and 3) could be addressed by putting the new-style remote connector on the front of the camera like the 10-pin connector. But they don't do that.

By the way, having the 10-pin connector doesn't preclude also having a USB connector, with all of the control possibilities that entails. In fact, as far as I recall, every DSLR that has a 10-pin connector also has a USB connector.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

jules   UK  Basic Member Mon 25-Feb-13 08:46 PM
967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 25-Feb-13 08:47 PM by jules

Hmmm, I kind of get you there, perhaps the USB connector would be better off on the front, I'D NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT
Never used L brackets, don't like em, nor grips, nor add on Gps, they add size and weight, I've a list of ailments in my Sig, some of which preclude me from carrying extra parafinalia but I can see that those that are used to using them may feel them essential..
I really do find the ten pin an anarchic cludge and wish they'd get rid of it, and get up into the modern age! Though theres nothing wrong with both suppose, just me there I guess
Like I say, it's just a connector but a really old one...

Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Grumpy, Middle Aged, Bad Tempered, Arthritic, Asthmatic, Tinnitus Suffering, Mountain Man...

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Mon 25-Feb-13 04:03 PM
7528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 0

But would such a D800-lite body really be much less expensive than the D800E? Chopping the product line up into many more models would increase the cost of each one, due to loss of economy of scale and increased marketing and distribution costs. Seems to me that the dominant cost factor in the D800E is its start-of-the-art sensor. After all, the new D7100 is slated to have nearly the same AF system and Expeed 3 processor at a price of $1200.

Not that I'm against your idea, necessarily, but I'm not sure there would be a big payoff.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Chris Platt Silver Member  Newburg, US  Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012 Mon 25-Feb-13 04:07 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 0

It's likely that configuration management, limited productions runs, special ordering, more complex wholesale/retail inventory management, and/or just-in-time production runs for special orders would actually result in increased cost and slower delivery. I.e., it would cost more to leave the features out of a few models than it cost to put them in all models.

Visit my gallery.

SweetMK   US  Registered since 22nd Jan 2013 Mon 25-Feb-13 05:00 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 3

The answer to this question is taken care of in most camera stores.

It is like the inner city convenience stores that sell cigarettes one at a time rather than a whole pack, for those who do not want to spend that much at once.

If you want a few features, specifically what you want, at a much lower cost,

buy a used camera.

Exactly the results the OP wants, at the price the OP wants to spend.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Mon 25-Feb-13 10:03 PM
27073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 0

How about if we just get rid of the stupid connectors altogether and do the remotes via, say, Bluetooth? Nikon (or someone) can sell me a 10-pin-to-Bluetooth adapter for my older cameras. Or do WiFI or some other kind of radio remote.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Floridian Silver Member  Tallahassee, Florida, US  Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:04 PM
2788 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 7

>How about if we just get rid of the stupid connectors
>altogether and do the remotes via, say, Bluetooth?...

One thing I like about the 10-pin connector is that it works without batteries in the remote.

Randy

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas   Richmond, US  Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004 Tue 26-Feb-13 02:44 AM
27073 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 8

How about if the remote is your phone? Suppose the LCD could be your tablet?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Tue 26-Feb-13 01:14 PM
#12. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 10

>How about if we just get rid of the stupid connectors
>altogether and do the remotes via, say, Bluetooth? Nikon (or
>someone) can sell me a 10-pin-to-Bluetooth adapter for my
>older cameras. Or do WiFI or some other kind of radio
>remote.

Nah, that would never happen.

>How about if the remote is your phone? Suppose the LCD could
>be your tablet?

Nah, that would never happen, either.

(Now just build those into the camera, Nikon.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

ZoneV Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005 Mon 25-Feb-13 11:55 PM
3522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 25-Feb-13 11:57 PM by ZoneV

Ok, how about a rectangular box with a lens mount, ten-pin connector, and D800 sensor. No grip, buttons, etc...?

It'd be an industrial version of the D800.

https://google.com/search?q=industrial+camera&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BQgsUae6JOzcigLF2oEo&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1480&bih=727

Red's camera concept is not dissimilar: https://www.google.com/search?q=industrial+camera&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BQgsUae6JOzcigLF2oEo&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1480&bih=727#hl=en&tbm=isch&spell=1&q=red+camera&sa=X&ei=TQgsUdz8G5Ha2wWr8IHICw&ved=0CE4QvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.b2I&fp=ff592355762feb9c&biw=1480&bih=727

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

jules   UK  Basic Member Tue 26-Feb-13 05:02 AM
#11. "RE: WHAT I REALLY WANT"
In response to Reply # 9

Nahh, I've tried a Pentax K-01 alreeady
Cheers jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #87184 Previous topic | Next topic